Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Driver mad at "comptetive cyclists"

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-01-05, 11:39 AM
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Below is a quote from the Strakalogue on foxnews.com--it's a place for people to read about and vent on the "obliviousness" of people around us. He always publishes one or two letters from "oblivions" themselves. I think Anne from cyberspace was one of them. I responded that that little lane may indeed be a shoulder and is illegal to drive or ride in. We'll see if it gets published.

Anne from cyberspace: I'd like to send a message to the road-hog bicyclists of the world:
MOVE OVER! These are not the individual riders out for some exercise. These are the Competitive Cyclists, complete with Official Riding Gear, including the Proper Helmet, Coolest Shoes and of course Padded Riding Breeches. And the bazillion-dollar bicycle. If there is a narrow lane to the outside of the white line, USE IT. I know you are too cool to use the sissy lane, but you are impeding traffic.
Old 11-01-05, 11:43 AM
gcasillo
Maglia Ciclamino

Bikes: Bianchi Aria, Bianchi Volpe

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
You have a typo there. It's actually Anne from outer space.
Old 11-01-05, 11:50 AM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
See, this is where that whole "driver education" thing is way off-base. There's no way this "Anne" is ever going to come around to sharing the lane with a cyclist. You can tell she's utterly prejudiced against... well, us using the same lane she drives in.

You can preach to people all you want about equal rights for cyclists and all that, but "Anne" will just keep on being pissed that we have the audacity to want to ride where she drives.

Tim.
Old 11-01-05, 11:51 AM
bigskymacadam
so whatcha' want?

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the sissy lane? complete with slippery wet leaves, drains, glass.

yeah. i'm too cool for that!

Cycling Rocks! | Local Race Photos
Old 11-01-05, 11:55 AM
alison_in_oh
Focus on the future

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There was a time when I'd laugh at the prominent display of ignorance. But then I was hit by a motorist who didn't think I should be passing a stopped vehicle on the left. So now the ignorance and subsequent endangerment of everybody sharing the road with them just kind of overwhelms me.
Old 11-01-05, 12:02 PM
CanyonChaser
LOOK!!

Bikes: Look 586

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bigskymacadam

wimp...
Old 11-01-05, 12:05 PM
High Fist Shin
Back In The Saddle

Bikes: N+1

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 87 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by bigskymacadam

Don't forget, gravel and potholes.

Dante.
Old 11-01-05, 12:17 PM
zooropa530

Bikes: Cannondale '04 R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koine2002
Anne from cyberspace: I'd like to send a message to the road-hog bicyclists of the world:
MOVE OVER! These are not the individual riders out for some exercise. These are the Competitive Cyclists, complete with Official Riding Gear, including the Proper Helmet, Coolest Shoes and of course Padded Riding Breeches. And the bazillion-dollar bicycle. If there is a narrow lane to the outside of the white line, USE IT. I know you are too cool to use the sissy lane, but you are impeding traffic.
Tell Anne to stop screwing her brother.

It's rather amusing that I'm reading this now - a few weeks ago we were chased down by an old lady who was convinced bicycles don't belong on the road. She got out of her car and was yelling and everything! Dumb b!tch. And no, we didn't cut her off/run a light/or any other moving violation.
Old 11-01-05, 12:18 PM
timmhaan
more ape than man

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post

timmhaan from bikeforums.net: i'd like to send a message to the road-hog drivers of the world:
GIVE ME SOME ROOM! These are not the nice drivers who respect our right to be on the road. These are the Agressive Drivers, complete with cell phone, makeup kit, and a big gulp. And the airconditioned mutiple thousand dollar machine. If there is a cyclist using the road, MOVE OVER and wait to pass. I know you are too important to be held up for 10 seconds, but you are infringing on my right to be on the road.
Old 11-01-05, 12:29 PM
iamtim

Bikes: 2012 Motobecane Vent Noir; 2016 Mercier Kilo TT Pro

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by zooropa530
a few weeks ago we were chased down by an old lady who was convinced bicycles don't belong on the road. She got out of her car and was yelling and everything
I am so fortunate that I live in a fairly cycling-friendly area, because I have never seen anything like that.

Tim.
Old 11-01-05, 12:36 PM
USAZorro
Señor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
I think it's interesting that everyone is jumping to conclusions here. I don't think there's enough evidence to understand clearly where she's coming from. While there are obviously drivers who are either impatient jerks, or simply clueless and pass within a few inches of nailing riders when they do go by, there are also oblivious cyclists.

Several group rides I have been on this year have included riders who refuse to fall into a single file despite loud and repeated calls of "car back". I am quite frankly embarrassed to ride with other cyclists who ride with complete disregard for showing consideration to motorists.

Certainly, the cyclists who do this comprise a very small percentage of those on the road, but they are the ones who cause irritated drivers and help to make life a little more miserable for the rest of us. Maybe she is in the wrong, and is one of the small fraction of clueless drivers, but then again, maybe she's suffered a few times by having to drive 13 mph behind a pack of cyclists who won't let her by for a couple miles.

Personally, I'd much rather have an irritated driver vent by writing about it, than by playing tag with us.
Old 11-01-05, 12:36 PM
kosherdave
Tri Coach/UltraMarathoner

Bikes: 2006 Madone 5.2 SL, some 60s Schwinn thing for crusin at Peak's Island, and an old single spead commuter (schiwn)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe it's just where I live, but it's illegal NOT to ride in the road, and NYC law states a cyclist has just as much right to one FULL lane as does a car.
I've been chased down before too. It's tough to educate, some people will never learn.
Old 11-01-05, 12:38 PM
lotek 

Bikes: 1 trek, serotta, rih, de Reus, Pogliaghi and finally a Zieleman! and got a DeRosa

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 9 Posts
While I don't disagree with the ignorance of many
motorists this is Fox news

Want to upgrade your membership? Click Here.
Old 11-01-05, 01:16 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek
hehe i know what you mean. Got to remember who owns fox network. And that this same person had half the staff quit on him when the original owner of the company died.
Of corse im talking about isner and disney the company. A few short month after wlat died don bluth and about half a dozen others told isner to stick it. Fox network is owned by isner who is out for one thing and one thing only. And that is money.
I emailed them to for all the good it will do. None of our replies will get posted because were likly not bashing some one else. If we cussed and carried on about cyclists our emails would get posted in a instant. Cyclists are a popular target for bashing and great for ratings and hits.
Old 11-01-05, 01:17 PM
cs1

Bikes: Specialized, Schwinn

Quoted: 225 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by kosherdave
Maybe it's just where I live, but it's illegal NOT to ride in the road, and NYC law states a cyclist has just as much right to one FULL lane as does a car.
I've been chased down before too. It's tough to educate, some people will never learn.
Every state has different laws. In OH a bike can be no more than 36" left of the curb line. That is his/hers lane. They also cannot ride double file in a single lane. Cyclists also have to obey all traffic laws, like comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. There are reasons why cars get pissed at cyclists. Usually we bring it on ourselves by thinking we are entitled to more than we actually are. I know I'm gonna get flamed for that but it's true.

Tim
Old 11-01-05, 01:20 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
"Padded riding breeches." Hah. That makes me giggle for some reason.
Old 11-01-05, 01:26 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Bikes: several

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Damn Cyclists! Imposing their liberal ways on the world and ruining American Family Values for everyone by exerting their right to the road. I mean, sheesh, you might as well be killing babies or sipping a latte (gasp!).
Old 11-01-05, 01:37 PM
spacefuzz

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by lotek

I was just going to say that. Fox news enjoys spouting rubbish.
Old 11-01-05, 01:42 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by spacefuzz
I was just going to say that. Fox news enjoys spouting rubbish.
We refer to it around here as "Faux News".
Old 11-01-05, 01:44 PM
jbonus

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Anne needs a Roman soldier helmet.
Old 11-01-05, 01:46 PM
BeauFoster
Woo Hoo!

Bikes: Cannondale R700

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by nova
hehe i know what you mean. Got to remember who owns fox network. And that this same person had half the staff quit on him when the original owner of the company died.
Of corse im talking about isner and disney the company. A few short month after wlat died don bluth and about half a dozen others told isner to stick it. Fox network is owned by isner who is out for one thing and one thing only. And that is money.
I emailed them to for all the good it will do. None of our replies will get posted because were likly not bashing some one else. If we cussed and carried on about cyclists our emails would get posted in a instant. Cyclists are a popular target for bashing and great for ratings and hits.

Fox is not owned by Disney, nor is it run by Micheal Isner. It is a subsidiary of News Corp., which is run by Rupert Murdoch. Disney and ABC are in bed together.
koine2002
Car(e) Free!

Bikes: Homebuilt Nashbar Steel MTB; 1988 Schwinn Premis

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 'nother
Damn Cyclists! Imposing their liberal ways on the world and ruining American Family Values for everyone by exerting their right to the road. I mean, sheesh, you might as well be killing babies or sipping a latte (gasp!).
Let's keep this on the topic of my OP, and avoid politics, as per BF rules. And yes, I read foxnews, but I read them all, including the BBC on any given story so as to get the most comprehensive look at world events.
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1
Every state has different laws. In OH a bike can be no more than 36" left of the curb line. That is his/hers lane. They also cannot ride double file in a single lane. Cyclists also have to obey all traffic laws, like comming to a complete stop at a stop sign. There are reasons why cars get pissed at cyclists. Usually we bring it on ourselves by thinking we are entitled to more than we actually are. I know I'm gonna get flamed for that but it's true.

I'm glad I don't live in Ohio.
Old 11-01-05, 01:51 PM
nova
hill hater

Location: norton ohio 5.5 miles from center road tow path trail head

Bikes: cannondale t400 1987 model and a raleigh gran prix from 1973

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cs1

Tim
heres a qoute from revised code section 4511.55
Every person operating a bicycle on a roadway shall ride as near to the right side of the road way as praticeable obeying all trafic rules applicable to vehicals, and exercisieng due care when passing a standing vehical or procceding in the same direction. Persons riding bicycles on a road way shall not ride more than 2 abrest in a single lane, except on paths or parts of roadways set aside for that purpose.

That is a direct qoute in full of 4511.55 From the ohio revised code. No where does it state you can not ride furhter than 3 feet from the curb, and it contradicts your ausmption that your not allowed to ride 2 abrest It states no more than 2 abrest in a single lane. Now considering your allowed to ride 2 abrest obviously you can not do this when riding 3 feet of the curb/road edge theres simply not enough room to do so. The only thing ive seen about 3 foot off the curb is a min sugested distance from the road edge/curb. This is to give you some buffer zone if you notice a motorist is not going to give you safe distance when passing you. This way you can swerve right to increase the distance between the buzzing driver and your self. You dont want to be right at the edge and have some idiot tare by you with 6 inches to spare and have no place to go.
Old 11-01-05, 01:51 PM
'nother
semifreddo amartuerer

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Let's keep this on the topic of my OP, and avoid politics, as per BF rules. And yes, I read foxnews, but I read them all, including the BBC on any given story so as to get the most comprehensive look at world events.
Right, never any politics here on BF, especially regarding bike lanes (don't visit A&S subforum much?). Sorry for the transgression.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.