Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Welcome me to your forum

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Welcome me to your forum

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-05, 05:22 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DCCommuter
You forgot Glebe Glebe and Glebe Glebe Glebe.

The explanation I've heard is that the Glebe is the part of a parish dedicated to the support of the priest. When Arlington was founded, the Church of England was running the show, there was a church at every intersection, every church had a glebe, and every glebe had a glebe road. Most of the other colonies were formed by separatists who were seeking religious freedom, so they didn't have glebes.
Not forgotten. I try not to think about it.
Pretty much correct. And Glebe House still exists (current one from 1808, the original burned down)
https://www.co.arlington.va.us/Depart...yPichistB.aspx

Last edited by cc_rider; 10-31-05 at 06:14 PM.
Old 10-31-05, 06:09 PM

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Funny... I live at the corner of Glebe, Glebe and Glebe. I couldn't believe the nutiness when I saw it. And mapquest still doesn't get that crap right! I gave up with mapquest a loooooooong time ago!

Thanks for the well wishes. I took my first ride in today- a chilly 46 degrees heading out in near darnkess/early sunrise with winds in my face and it took nearly an hour because I somehow made the wrong turn when I got into DC (doh!), but I quickly saved it and rode through the park, then down a deserted one way, which got me onto 12th St. pretty quick, and from there, I just jumped E Street. And doh! I missed every green, so I spent most of my time waiting at those long assed lights. But I finally did get up to work... in just under an hour. I had 3 changes of clothes, two heavy bike locks, my radio, some books, and a pair of shoes on me. Coming back was much easier... I left at about 4:07pm, then got stopped for 5 minutes by the Rosa Parks motorcade, then finally made it home at about 4:45pm. That was a fast commute home! But then again, I had nearly all greens headed back.

It must be more of a downhill or just less hills in general coming back. Then again, my bag was a lot lighter headed home too. And it was much warmer. It was a perfect 70 degrees headed home!

Tomorrow, I work the late shift. I have to decide if I'm going to take the bike on the train when I'm headed back or drag the lights and ride back. We'll see.

Koffee

Old 10-31-05, 10:46 PM
tokolosh

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by jyossarian
It is not filthy! It's soaked in nutrients!
i dunno. wouldn't it be more efficient to just lick yourself clean?

Originally Posted by Paul L.
My towel is upstairs. At least until the ravenous bugblatter beast of traal shows up again.
or a vogon, she said darkly.

poor koffee. she just wants to get around dc, not the galaxy. maybe the galaxy would be easier though.
Old 10-31-05, 11:05 PM

Shoot, if I shot myself out at warp 9 to a whole nuther universe, and I got caught in a time-space continuum, it would be easier than riding around DC.

We need Trump to come build an 80 foot building so I've got a landmark I can see no matter where I am in DC, Maryland, or Virginia (NoVa, that is).

Koffee

Old 11-01-05, 12:56 AM
unkchunk

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My real problem with DC is mainly that I don't have a visual point that I can always refer to in the event that I get lost. In Chicago, I just looked for the Sears Tower and/or the John Hancock.
I understand competely. When I lived in SF I could look at the Sutro Tower and know exactly where I was. Plus there wasn't an unending sprawl in all directions. In DC nothing can be taller than the Washington monument, which isn't very tall, so there won't be a visable landmark. How about using air planes on landing approach for for a visual reference. It may look chaotic at first, but airlines have one or two (depending on the wind direction) set final landing approaches. They are still pretty high, higher than the Sears tower, and don't vary that final leg. Hold on, let me see if I can find a map.
Old 11-01-05, 07:13 AM

I've been using the planes, but somehow, I think DC is on a slant, because when I'm approaching DC, you can see the Washington Monument and Capital Hill, and they look side by side. Then when I hit DC, they clearly aren't. But when I'm really lost, if I look overhead, I can see the planes coming in. But sometimes they make all planes come in from the south, and sometimes they make all planes come in from the north. And sometimes, they have them come in from one direction in the morning, and the other direction in the afternoon. That's when I know I can't totally rely on the planes.

But it does explain why they don't go over Gravelly Point all the time.

Koffee

Old 11-01-05, 07:29 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
One trick I learned getting lost in suburban/rural PA.

Learn the topography. Uphill and downhill are noticed more on a bike. Once you learn the topography of your area, the likelyhood of getting lost will be reduced.

Even the slightest slope can help you find your way.
Old 11-01-05, 07:38 AM
10ch
I <3 my bike.

Bikes: '00 Gary Fisher Big Sur // '02 Giant Boulder // Couple of '81 no-name 10 speeds

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by koffee brown
I never saw the sun more than 30 minutes every day. Now I can ride outside and get at least a modicum of sunshine and clean air.
Word. This is one of my favorite things about commuting.
Old 11-01-05, 07:45 AM

Originally Posted by huhenio
One trick I learned getting lost in suburban/rural PA.

Learn the topography. Uphill and downhill are noticed more on a bike. Once you learn the topography of your area, the likelyhood of getting lost will be reduced.

Even the slightest slope can help you find your way.
Slopes and hills are everywhere in every direction, man. That's not going to help. But I am just riding as much as possible, and I have the bike map for NoVa/DC/So.MD. I consult the map every day before I head out, and that makes a difference I'm sure of it.

I'm glad to get my sun back. It stimulates my retina and makes me feel more awake when I get to work!

Koffee

Old 11-01-05, 09:31 AM
tulip

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Slopes and hills are everywhere in every direction, man. That's not going to help. But I am just riding as much as possible, and I have the bike map for NoVa/DC/So.MD. I consult the map every day before I head out, and that makes a difference I'm sure of it.

I'm glad to get my sun back. It stimulates my retina and makes me feel more awake when I get to work!

Koffee
IN DC, at least the part you are in (Capitol Hill area), all hills go down toward the Potomac River. Further north, it gets rolling, but generally, if you are going downhill, you are heading towards the river.

NoVA's a mess, though. Can't help you there.
Old 11-01-05, 10:24 AM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
It's ridiculous. I was trying to find first street, which disappeared into another street (I think New Jersey or something like that), only to reappear as 1st Street at Union Station. It just doesn't look that way on the map at all. Someone was smoking some good weed when they put together that map.

I'll avoid the hoods. I have a rain jacket, but I do need rain pants. I like to wear all my pants baggy, so it's a matter of finding rain pants baggy enough to suit me.

Koffee

That's my problem....well not baggy pants (I wear those as well), but my whole life, even when I weighed 150lbs, I had huge freaking legs...which have been made even larger from riding...so even the XL pant from performance bike was worse than tights!

I just get away with a change of everything belt down, my labcoat and anti-static shoes (work requirement), a u-lock and padlock (for the bike lockers, if one is avalible), a map, rainjacket (cheapo performancebike one), and my repair kit.

The performancebike jacket is not all that good...it was waterproof for about 6 months, but now it's only water-resistant....also had terrible ventilation, especially if you use a messenger bag.
Old 11-01-05, 11:20 AM
Paul L.

Bikes: Mercier Corvus (commuter), Fila Taos (MTB), Trek 660(Got frame for free and put my LeMans Centurian components on it)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe a GPS would help. I use one for my bike computer and love it. I also use it as a navigational aid on longer rides in terrain I am not familiar with. Anyway, kind of a pricy solution I guess but it would solve the no landmarks problem.

It would not do much to help you navigate around the galaxy though.
Old 11-01-05, 01:59 PM
catatonic
Chairman of the Bored

Bikes: 2004 Raleigh Talus, 2001 Motobecane Vent Noir (Custom build for heavy riders)

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
For ghetto GPS, a decent compass (hint---boy scout compasses, there are tricks with them to get latitude and longitude), and a map work wonders.
Old 11-01-05, 02:07 PM
cc_rider
Calamari to go

Bikes: Trek 750

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
....but somehow, I think DC is on a slant....
Took you this long to realize that this town is crooked?

In DC, most things drain down to the swamp in front of where the White House now stands.
If it's going downhill, it's probably headed for the river.

On weekends I sometimes use L street to go east and M street to go west. Light timing seems to work. Don't know how it is on weekdays or in real traffic.
Old 11-01-05, 02:12 PM
kbabin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
Here's the utility to help you figure out your mileage. https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/
Also, you can use this link in "hybrid" mode to help plan your route. It helps you see the thru streets...

https://maps.google.com/
Old 11-01-05, 03:12 PM
dynaryder
DancesWithSUVs

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Rain pants: Red Ledge Thunderlights are the only ones I've found that actually breathe. This is a major deal in DC due to the humidity. Only bad things are they only come in black and they don't have zipper openings at the bottom. Not too bad to put on over sneakers,just watch if you're wearing cleats. I've also got a pair of the yellow Performance ones,but they run small and I can only wear them over bike shorts.

Rain gloves: 2nd the Sealskinz. They're genuinely waterproof,warm enough to wear alone over 30deg or so,and the rubber palms really grip. They also breathe. I tried using a set of my motorcycle gauntlets once,but my hands sweated like crazy in them. Just be careful when taking them on/off so you don't tear the internal membrane.

Navigating: 2nd the Google maps,you can drag it around and zoom in and out to easily plan your routes. Also,in DC north generally equates to uphill. I learned my way around by the quadrant method,plus learning the major routes. Once you figure out where major roads(Wisc NW,16th NW,Constitution) go,you can connect between them. Be real careful in traffic circles,American drivers don't know how to use them properly. And any street called "unit" is only a partial street;it dead-ends in an alley or connects 2 real streets.

Bike shops: I can highly recommend Revolution Cycles in Georgetown(right accross from the Key Bridge). They do good work and are usually faster than other shops(I've heard negatives about the Arlington location,but Georgetown is cool). HTO(Hudson Trail Outfitters) in Tenleytown(Wisconsin Ave NW,above Cathedral) also has a good service dept. The afformentioned City Bikes in Adams Morgan has a good selection of gear. I haven't had any bike work done there,but Chimblysweep works there,so it should be pretty good. I've also gotten good service from Bicycle Pro Shop in Georgetown(next to Revolution Cycles),but I bought an expensive Cannondale there and others have complained about them,so YMMV. I'm not too impressed with any of the Big Wheel Bikes locations,but they're the only ones who sell Kona,and I believe Marin,so if you're interested in one of those you'll have to deal with them. Performance Bikes in Rockville is pretty cool,but may be a bit of a haul for you. And if you're looking for used bikes or older parts,there's Chain Reaction on 6th NE just off Rhode Island. They seemed cool,and poopncow volunteers there,so they should be good.

Otherwise,welcome to DC,the town that invented the phrase 'aggressive driver'. Watch the idiots with cell phones,they just don't care about anything else on the road. Be careful in the bike lanes,they almost always are in the door zone. And some side streets in Georgetown still have cobblestones,so be warned.

Oh,and since you're in DC,you'll be wanting to be a Pirate,right? Our next outing will be polo on Wed at Sherwood Forest. 14th and K NW;cross the Key bridge into Georgetown,take M to 14th,then go south to K:
https://www.gmap-pedometer.com/?cente...ine=ebmlFdgduM

We'll be expecting you. And the other Washingtonians. Where are you arrr-ll?

C'dale BBU('05 and '09)/Super Six/Hooligan8and 3,Kona Dew Deluxe,Novara Buzz/Safari,Surly Big Dummy,Marin Pt Reyes,Giant Defy 1,Schwinn DBX SuperSport,Dahon Speed Pro TT,Brompton S6L/S2E-X
Old 11-01-05, 05:43 PM

I only almost got hit once... some idiot in a car trying to turn in front of me as I was descending a slight hill. I screamed a curse word at him and he looked up and stopped. I got lucky. And today, it only took me about 35 min. I got lost only once because I decided to try a different way, and ended up turning on a one way going in the wrong direction and had to hop the sidewalk to get to the next street so I could get off the one way. Strangely, the cop was the one who told me to turn onto the one way... hey buddy, some of us cyclists LIKE to obey the laws of the traffic already!

I gotta ride home all in the dark, so that'll be when I really find out what kind of stomach I have. DC in the dark.... *shudder*

Koffee

Old 11-02-05, 08:51 PM
rickwilliams

Bikes: Jamis Coda Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Regarding the whole route and wayfinding thing. Earlier this year I spent about 5 months in Taiwan in a city of about 2 million people. Against the advice of almost everyone I bought a bike to commute the 10 km between my apartment and work. No one, including my Chinese co-workers, could recommend a route. I read almost no Chinese but I bought a map, sketched a route with the help of Chinese friends, and laboriously biked it one Sunday by comparing Chinese street names on the map to street signs. As I rode I noted buildings and landmarks. The first commute I got lost once. In subsequent days I found shorter routes and things got much easier. I used the same method to ride all over the city. By the end of my stay I knew my way around better than many of my Chinese friends, all without relying on street signs.

I'll bet in no time you'll be finding your way all over Washingon like a pro. Good luck with your bike commuting. I love it. One of the best decisions I ever made.
Old 11-02-05, 09:41 PM
wheezl
Commuting Horrorshow

Bikes: Giant OCR3, Decathlon ****box.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rickwilliams
Against the advice of almost everyone I bought a bike to commute the 10 km between my apartment and work.
You sir, are a rock star
Old 11-03-05, 07:16 AM
StanSeven
Administrator

Bikes: Cervelo C5, Guru Photon, Waterford, Specialized CX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1106 Post(s)
Liked 2,180 Times in 1,470 Posts
I only almost got hit once... some idiot in a car trying to turn in front of me as I was descending a slight hill.
Oh, was that you?
Old 11-03-05, 07:55 AM
huhenio
Barbieri Telefonico

Bikes: Crappy but operational secondhand Motobecane Messenger

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ok ... your orienteering excersise is getting fairly long...

Have you learned your routes yet?
Old 11-03-05, 09:44 AM
Walkafire

Koffee....

Keep up the Good Work!

Light up the Night with LIGHTS!

Best of Luck to ya in the DC Streets!

I wonder what it would be like to cruise like a Bat out of HeII in Big City Streets LOL

I'll be thinking of ya on my ride on the back roads here.

Walk

Old 11-03-05, 09:26 PM

I still keep trying to find new routes... I'm finding that a lot of the streets are not continuous, so that's slowing me down with going to work. I'll probably give it another try this weekend.

Koffee

Old 11-07-05, 05:27 PM

Ok, after all this, I got a call from a place I interviewed in November, and get this- they are seriously considering me for a position in Ashburn, VA... it's like 38 miles away. So now I'm thinking about going in to interview again, just for the heck of it. Of course, while I did my initial phone interview, I was thinking about how it would even be possible to try this commute... any takers wanna try to figure out this one?

Koffee

Old 11-07-05, 08:07 PM
oknups

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Koffee,
Not good closet marc station is 12+ mile away. Closet metro is vienna @ 25+ road miles away, bit of a ride, but not impossible. Marc is out due to the " where the hell do I catch this train, and what kind of a schedule is that anyway, you mean I have to go to union station then to baltimore to catch a train that goes to 20 miles from where I live, sort of thing"
Best bet:
Blue line from nearest station to you in arlington, and change trains @ Rosslyn to orange line, ride that to the end and bike for 25+ miles. Looking at a good 2 hour one way commute, if you ride fast (15+mph)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.