Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How important is color to you?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 07-03-10, 11:29 AM
jbman100
Aluminum Convert

Bikes: Bianchi Via Nirone 7.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Alright here's the deal. I want a certain brand name bike. It has everything I want, fits and rides perfectly and has a snazzy paint job on it. However, I will have to wait about 3 months to get the money together to get it. I found another brand bike on Craigslist. Same geometry, same components, same ride and feel. Close you eyes and you couldn't tell them apart while riding them. I can pay for it now. The original owner took me to the shop where he bought it and the owner verified all the work that has been done to the bike which is a basic tune up and wheel trued/tires replaced, etc. The only difference is the paint color. The CL bike is black. Would that make a big deal to most of you. The reason I'm asking is this. A friend and fellow rider says that I should wait because I won't be getting the bike that I want and will be settling for something less. I feel that except for the color the CL bike is exactly the same as the other bike. I'm thinking go for the CL bike and color be dammed right now. I rarely look at the paint except when putting the bike on the car rack anyhow.

What are your thoughts?
Old 07-03-10, 11:57 AM
cyclefreaksix

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Go with the CL bike.
Old 07-03-10, 12:01 PM
thirdgenbird

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
you can always repaint bikes
Old 07-03-10, 12:10 PM
Dr. Banzai
Oscillation overthruster

Bikes: Cinelli Mash / CAAD9 5

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I hate red. I mean I hate how it looks on me, I hate cars painted red, I do NOT own any red clothing.

My bike is red and I don't care. Odd? No, it was the right price, the right size, the right weight and I really, really like the bike. The colour is something I compromised on. If I can compromise on red anyone can compromise on their bike colour.
Old 07-03-10, 12:18 PM
jayvo86

Bikes: '06 Trek 1000, '09 Gary Fisher Supercaliber, '10 Trek XO2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think it just depends. I am not really picky with the paint job, but if I was going to get something I'd want it to be something I can live with. I don't really like the bright and exotic so if it came down to that I would wait. Keep in mind, whatever you get, you are going to have to like with it. So I always go with what I really want unless my want changes.
Old 07-03-10, 12:20 PM
randomguy2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
black is cool because it is very versatile. Get the black one on craigslist. It sounds like a great deal and in good condition. And then put some new tires on it in the color you like.
Old 07-03-10, 12:21 PM
7bmwm3gtr

Bikes: Trek 2.1, CAAD10

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
1. Handling
2. Comfortability
3. Color

My opinion^

If my bike is an ugly color, I wouldn't enjoy riding it. I want at least 3 colors on the bike, that match well.
Old 07-03-10, 12:25 PM
4000Miles
for affordable housing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As the previous poster said, I wouldn't buy a bike with **** components and bad handling because it was the right color... but if I'm going to drop a princely sum on a bike, I want to like how it looks as well.
Old 07-03-10, 12:26 PM
mazdaspeed

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
Colors grow on you after a while. I still miss my pink bike... lol
Old 07-03-10, 12:27 PM
portland376

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Me personally, I'd wait the 3 months to get the bike you originally wanted. Ride quality is definitely top on the list, but aesthetics is important as well. Would be a bummer to drop the cash on the CL bike and then find yourself later wishing you would have waited the short 3 months for the one you really wanted.
Old 07-03-10, 12:27 PM
dooodstevenn

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i say get the cl bike, but if you really really have a problem with the paint, you probably wont be motivated to ride much, i've been compromising on bike purchases just because i couldnt wait for what i really wanted, and after the new bike excitement was over, i didnt really like it much. this time i took the time to find a bike i eally like, and i find myself riding more than ever

Last edited by dooodstevenn; 07-03-10 at 12:31 PM.
Old 07-03-10, 12:31 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
As nearly as I can tell that bike only has to make one person, out of the entire world, happy. You're it. It sounds to me like your friend cares more about the color than you do but your friend isn't the one that bike has to make happy. So why not buy the CL bike and start having fun on it today?
Old 07-03-10, 12:32 PM
enjoi07

Bikes: custom caad9

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
for some reason i like most of my accessories to be a neutral color. so when team kits change or whatever it wont look bad with a neutral bike. i personally love all black, black/white, grey, and the brushed alu caad9. look at some black bikes and get inspired. here are some of my favorites.

this one is mine.

inspiration for the build.

i'm in love with this bike
Old 07-03-10, 12:35 PM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
It shouldn't be important but it is. Particularly if you hate a certain color.. My first road bike, I knew I wanted a Klein. No problem there. Klein bikes are known for exquisite paint jobs. Mine is white and silver..
But, when I decided I wanted a Surly Cross Check, I knew I did not want the standard , ugly Army Green.. I owe my Local bike shop owner a six pack of some premium beer.
The mechanic went to work and got me the Fire Engine Red Surly I wanted. That without his pull, I'd never would have had. They said, for that model year, there were no more reds.. But, my local shop found me one.

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 07-03-10, 12:41 PM
Carbon Unit
Live to ride ride to live

Bikes: Calfee Tetra Pro

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There was a saying about car colors. The color of a car is only important on the day you buy it. I think that is true of bikes too. I like shopping for a deal and if the price is right, I wouldn't let the color stop me.

Besides my bike is black, but it doesn't have any paint on it just raw un-coated carbon fiber. My next bike won't have paint on it either, just unpainted titanium.
Old 07-03-10, 01:08 PM
Velo Dog

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't care much about color, at least not enough that it's been a factor in a purchase. I have five bikes at the moment, three bought used--two in an ugly not-quite-celeste greenish, two blue and one metallic orange. The only one I really like is the orange. Doesn't affect my enoyment of the other four, though.
What I DO hate, and probably wouldn't buy, is anything with garish multi-colored NASCAR kind of lots-of-logos team paint on it.
Old 07-03-10, 01:24 PM
Menel

Bikes: Helix, HonkyTonk, NailTrail

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
1. Fit
2. Performance
3. Appearance

Unless appearance involves the color red, would kill the deal, can't have red on bike/gear or even car. White, black, blue, green, orange, yeloow, etc all good.

Though, I gotta admit sometimes a red/black two-tone can be pretty badass looking, but it's a pretty narrow sometimes.
Old 07-03-10, 01:26 PM
kandyredcoi
calm down its just a bike

Bikes: PK Ripper FG, raleigh folder, felt z5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
u can always repaint it

it depends how much money you would be saving on the CL bike, if its considerable, buy it then just repaint it

my .02
Old 07-03-10, 01:29 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
I'm the opposite of some of you - I love red, and it's the only "color" I really want on a bike. Black, white, and grey are fine, but I don't want blue, or green, or whatever. I do feel there are enough bikes out there that it should be possible to find one in the right size, in the right color, with the right components, in my budget.
Old 07-03-10, 01:47 PM
corbett1010

Bikes: 2009 Fuji roubaix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
color is important to me

you could get the CL one powder coated
Old 07-03-10, 02:01 PM
colombo357

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 120 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 12 Posts
Depends on how fast you are.

If you're very fast in your area, get the color bike you want and wear lycra to match it.

If you're slow, it's important to do the exact opposite. Mismatching colors = slowness forgiveness.
Old 07-03-10, 02:59 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I wouldn't buy another white bike ever. I own one now, the one in my sig, and it gets dirty far too easily. Funny thing is, I hate the color red, but my new bike is red, and my truck as well, and like both of them allot despite the unappealing color. I do wish the bike was black though, it would show dirt even less. I clean my bikes every time I ride, I would rather clean them once a week or something like that.
Old 07-03-10, 03:05 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by OCLV Assassin
I wouldn't buy another white bike ever. I own one now, the one in my sig, and it gets dirty far too easily. Funny thing is, I hate the color red, but my new bike is red, and my truck as well, and like both of them allot despite the unappealing color. I do wish the bike was black though, it would show dirt even less. I clean my bikes every time I ride, I would rather clean them once a week or something like that.
Unless it's different with bikes, black is worse than white about showing dirt. If you want it to always look clean, go with tan, or silver.
Old 07-03-10, 03:08 PM
mustang1

Bikes: 2006 road bike, 2012 cx bike, 2012 carbon rb, 2014 hardtail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
When I was a lot younger and my parents bought my bikes for me, I went with whatever color as long as the bike was good for me. If the color was nice, that would be a plus. When I was a little older and bought my own bikes, again, color didn't bother me as long as price and fit/feel was right.

Now I'm older and can afford nicer bikes. So color is very important.

It seems to me you're in the position I used to be in a long time ago, a time when I didn't care about color.
Old 07-03-10, 03:15 PM
Soloist Assassin
Banned

Bikes: 2011 Cervelo S2, 2001Trek USPS 5200, 06 Cervelo P3 Alum, 1999 Schwinn Pro Stock BMX, 1987 Schwinn Traveler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bah Humbug
Unless it's different with bikes, black is worse than white about showing dirt. If you want it to always look clean, go with tan, or silver.
Yeah it's not like a car at all. My old downhill bike was black, and it was always dirty, but you couldn't hardly tell. It seems bikes mostly pick up black crap, grease, and what not. A car's body is totally different, because it has large flat panels, and bikes don't. Raw carbon would probably be the best color in my opinion, the weave would hid dirt well. It does on the raw carbon parts of my red bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.