Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Embracing Changes

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Embracing Changes

Search this Thread

Old 12-21-17, 09:28 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1744 Post(s)
Liked 1,370 Times in 719 Posts
Embracing Changes

Getting near 60 now and noticed I have changed considerably in the last 5 years. Not as strong, durable, or possessed with getting in the miles. Haven't owned a truck in over 35 years, but I bought one today. I have also found myself embracing the sweeping change in the bike industry as it moves towards ebikes.

I only ride vintage machines or frames I have built myself. Had index shifting once on a mountain bike, really didn't need it, but it came with it. Disliked it when out of adjustment. Never on a road bike simply because there was no need for it. I can shift gears just fine without indexing. Simple man, simple mind, simple needs.

After riding the Cannondale ebike this fall I am willing to admit that there is a need out there for electric assist. It upped my durability, ability to climb, and put speed back into the pedals.

Hate to admit it for sure, but there just may be an ebike in my future, and I am ready to embrace it!
Old 12-21-17, 11:23 PM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 1024 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 49 Posts
Embracing E-Bikes, opens up a whole whack of... Oh, you are no longer a bicyclist comments, and depending on what type of an E-Bike you ride, that statement can actually be right...

You need to decide what type, of an E-Bike you want to ride and how much assist you want/need.
Old 12-22-17, 12:19 AM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
When a bike shop opened nearby that specializes in e-bikes, they put out a request for people to come help them determine what the range of their bikes was under normal riding conditions in this area. What a hoot! On climbs, it was like being thirty again. That old power was there, albeit with a fraction of it coming from the assist. The only drawback was that the motor cut-out at 20 mph, so unless I was loafing it didn't do anything for me on flats.

I have no doubt that an e-bike or two are in my future. In fact, my wife wants to seriously look into having out next tandem built as an e-bike.

As to the folks who say it's not really cycling: If I can accept people driving somewhere to ride their bikes, they can learn to accept people using small motor assists.

I also see e-bikes as that all-important tool that allows people to free themselves of the car dependency that has led to so much ill-health and other woes. I always smile when I see people out on test rides with an e-bike (the shop that sells them is located a couple of miles down the bike path, so test-riders often pass near my home).
Old 12-22-17, 01:06 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero
. I have also found myself embracing the sweeping change in the bike industry as it moves towards ebikes.
Since when is the bike industry "sweeping" toward e-bikes???

Personally I'll stick to my road bicycles. Thanks. Thankfully they don't allow e-bikes on audax/randonneuring events.
Old 12-22-17, 01:08 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Change happens to all. I'm still in the low 50's. Over the last couple of years, I've started riding a lot more, and think I'm slowly getting stronger, so no e-bikes in the near future... unless I make an e-cargo hauler.

If you go for electric, consider options carefully, such as electric assist, to keep you pedaling.
Old 12-22-17, 06:40 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Generally, options are good, because everyone is different and has different goals and desires and situations.

E-bikes are an option. If they represent a good option for you .... awesome. See you out there.

I don't have a problem with more people being more happy ... heck, I even think it might be a good thing.
Old 12-22-17, 06:50 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Since when is the bike industry "sweeping" toward e-bikes???
Yeah, I caught that too. I would have said "extended" toward e-bikes. I see them as an additional thing not a replacement thing.
Old 12-22-17, 08:07 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
You're not even sixty. I know we all age at different rates, but you should be able to keep your strength through your sixties. I remember one winter day when I was xc skiing and I left another, much younger and very fit, skier, far behind and exhausted. I had just turned sixty four, and some of it was technique, but still I didn't feel my age.

I'm twelve years older now and not as fast, Low gears help.

I don't see my self geting an E_bike since physical exercise is one of my reasons for cycling; There are enough labor saving devices already, the challenge is to stay active.
Old 12-22-17, 08:14 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Yeah good point about the age. Rowan's in his early 60s and yet we managed a 500 km weekend last year where we rode a 300 km randonnee on the Friday, spend Saturday supporting other riders on their 300 km randonnee, and then rode a 200 km randonnee on the Sunday.

Plus we've just completed another Century-A-Month challenge ... riding at least one 100 mile ride in each month of the year.

On road bicycles.
Old 12-22-17, 08:30 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
Right, but some folks are competitive athletes and some folks just want to ride a little. Some folks are really into fitness and exercise, some aren't.

I don't see any benefit (personally---others are of course free to think whatever) in looking down on the e-bike folks. Better than couches, better than cars ... nothing I want to do, but even though I am old, fat, and slow, I like the physical challenge.

Some folks might not or might not want every ride to be a challenge ... and I am all in favor of folks having harmless fun.
Originally Posted by ironwood
You're not even sixty. I know we all age at different rates, but you should be able to keep your strength through your sixties. is one of my reasons for cycling; There are enough labor saving devices already, the challenge is to stay active.
This is almost comical. The first clause is negated by the second clause.

For some folks ... we all know people in their seventies or eighties who are riding strongly ... look at OldTriGuy, Carbonfiberboy ...

On the other hand, as the sentence says, everybody ages differently. The OP is not some other person ... he is himself.

And whether or not he could maintain his pace by doing harder physical exercise---maybe he doesn't Want to. Maybe he is happy doing the amount of exercise he does, and the idea of adding a few hours of exercise each week to try to regain the speed of his youth isn't the best use of his ever-shortening remaining life. Maybe he has too few hours in each day already to do all the things he wants, and for him, the choice of adding exercise or getting an e-bike ... is an easy choice.

Not putting down the folks who have made exercise the most important thing or one of their life's top priorities ... but neither putting down folks who maybe put it fifth or seventh.

If I am out riding and I see someone out in the bike lane ... I don't care what brand of bike s/he rides ... not if it has an electric assist or not. If the person is going in the proper direction (I met a guy on a gas-assist bike coming head-on at me in a bike lane a couple years back---he had a big smile and apparently no clue he was forcing me into traffic) and seems to be obeying traffic rules ... why should I care if the rider has a battery ... or a pacemaker, or is doing steroids or EPO for that matter? After all, I am not competing with anything but the onset of death and my own laziness.

Some other rider's e-assist doesn't make me more or less lazy, more or less old, and doesn't affect the speed of time's passing.

Nothing wrong with encouraging someone to ry harder ... but neither is there a reason not to encourage a rider to continue to enjoy riding.
Old 12-22-17, 08:56 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
Health is one of my top priorities and exercise is necessry to maintain it.
Old 12-22-17, 10:28 AM
350htrr

Bikes: 27 speed ORYX with over 39,000Kms on it and another 14,000KMs with a BionX E-Assist on it

I went with the BionX 350, an assist type where you actually need/must pedal the bicycle to go anywhere. It has a pressure sensor in the rear hub axel that you can use to pick how much assist you want... 35% 75% 150% 300%, with a MAX of 29.5ftLbs, or you can ride it without any assist and can't really feel any drag from the motor.

Now what does that mean,? if you put 10Lbs of pressure onto the pedals you would get...

35%=3.5Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 13.5Lbs of pressure onto the pedals.
75%=7.5Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 17.5Lbs of pressure onto the pedals
150%=15Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 25 Lbs of pressure onto the pedals.
300%=29.5Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 39.5Lbs of pressure onto the pedals...

If you put 1Lbs of pressure onto the pedals you would get...

35%=0.35Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 1.35Lbs of pressure onto the pedals.
75%=0.75Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 1.75Lbs of pressure onto the pedals.
150%=1.5Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 2.5Lbs of pressure onto the pedals.
300%=3.0Lbs of assistance, would be like if you put 4.0Lbs of pressure onto the pedals.

Makes the E-Bike riding just like a normal bicycle experience, except now you feel like superman going up those hills...

Then, there are those "other types"...

The crank rotation sensor, you can put in effort or not, just rotate the crank...

The throttle, you can put in effort or not, just press the throttle...
Old 12-22-17, 11:43 AM
Gerryattrick
Beicwyr Hapus

Bikes: Genesis Equilibrium, Genesis Datum, Whyte 901 Dawes 701,1973 Harry Hall

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 16 Posts
There is a lot of snobbishness about the use of e-bikes, particularly from those fit and healthy enough not to need them

If they keep people cycling when their strength or health starts to tail off then that can only be good.

I'm 100% with Maelochs on this one.

I am 70 and I am lucky enough to be able to regularly go on very hilly 50 mile rides on my human powered bikes. The last one was a group ride, where I was the oldest rider, with a few riders on e-bikes, no issues there. I will continue with my manual bikes but no-one knows what lies around the corner and, if the time comes when e-bikes are the only way that I can continue those types of ride and enjoy them, then I will be straight down the bike shop.

They are also a great way of letting families ride together when one might be weaker than the other.

Last edited by Gerryattrick; 12-22-17 at 11:51 AM.
Old 12-22-17, 12:43 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
I’m embracing the change of axis tilt and longer daylight hours in the meantime, winter riding in the snowy nights here in N Michigan.

Ebikes schmeebikes. I will always ride my vintage and classic sweethearts.
Old 12-22-17, 01:05 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by OldsCOOL
Ebikes schmeebikes.
^^^^^^^
I've had to walk up a few hills the last couple of years. With e-assist, I could have made it up them on the bike. But, an occasional walk in the country isn't such a bad thing.

I reserve the right to change my tune if I ever decide that I need and/or want an ebike.
Old 12-22-17, 01:42 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18369 Post(s)
Liked 4,507 Times in 3,350 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Right, but some folks are competitive athletes and some folks just want to ride a little. Some folks are really into fitness and exercise, some aren't.
One doesn't have to be a competitive fitness fanatic to ride a bike.... a lot.

Each person has to find what is right for themselves. I have several friends in their 60's and 70's, and I won't recommend they get an e-bike... unless they ask for help. I think they'd be much better getting out and just riding.

On the other hand, when I did the Crater Lake ride last year, there were one or two elderly women on E-Bikes.. and it made the ride possible for them, and it might not have been otherwise.
Old 12-22-17, 01:59 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1392 Post(s)
Liked 1,324 Times in 836 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerryattrick
... If they keep people cycling when their strength or health starts to tail off then that can only be good. ...
If they bring non-cyclists into cycling, expand the demand for traffic calming and bicyclist-friendly road and traffic control configurations, and increase our presence and perceived legitimacy on the road, that, too, can only be good. If they bring in a bunch of cyclists who demand segregated facilities, even when these set us up for right hooks, left crosses, doorings, and right/entry crosses, that can only be bad.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 12-22-17, 02:05 PM
350htrr

Originally Posted by CliffordK
One doesn't have to be a competitive fitness fanatic to ride a bike.... a lot.

Each person has to find what is right for themselves. I have several friends in their 60's and 70's, and I won't recommend they get an e-bike... unless they ask for help. I think they'd be much better getting out and just riding.

On the other hand, when I did the Crater Lake ride last year, there were one or two elderly women on E-Bikes.. and it made the ride possible for them, and it might not have been otherwise.
100%. EXEPT for some reason they don't... Like my wife, I got her a bike because she wanted to ride with me and... in three years she put on about 300Kms in TOTAL...

Then I got her a BionX assisted bicycle, and WOW, she put about 1,200Kms a year on it for each of the last 3 years...
Old 12-22-17, 02:26 PM
biker222

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 11 Posts
I do not have a problem with e-bikes riding the MUTs as long as they know how to handle bike especially at higher speeds and do not override the governor which makes it even more dangerous.
Old 12-22-17, 03:33 PM
MidSouthBiker

Bikes: Mr.White Mr.Green Mr.Orange

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JanMM
^^^^^^^
I've had to walk up a few hills the last couple of years. With e-assist, I could have made it up them on the bike. But, an occasional walk in the country isn't such a bad thing.

I reserve the right to change my tune if I ever decide that I need and/or want an ebike.
I have wimped out on a couple hills lately, mainly because they were at the end of some long rides. But I keep telling myself there is no shame in walking up the hill, besides, it seems to work the leg muscles a little differently.

Not ready for an ebike yet.
Old 12-22-17, 07:15 PM
350htrr

I would like to know what exactly is the difference, when you wimp out, and walk up the hill you couldn't ride up on, and... using some E-Bike "assistance" to make it up that same hill, riding the bike, putting all your effort into it still... ???
Old 12-22-17, 08:28 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
so you want to hug your e-bike? go ahead
Old 12-22-17, 10:08 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
It is important to be realistic and the OP @TiHabanero has a very healthy attitude.

Change is inevitable. It comes later for some, earlier for others but those who think they can ride forever are setting themselves up for disappointment.

Many comments in another thread to the effect that one who admits they are old has somehow failed illustrates how modern, western society has devalued the elderly and aged to the point where they are disposable. These comments also show that many are in denial of reality. The reality of life is that someday I may not be able to ride. I won't count that as a failure.

God has taken away some of my taste, some of my hair, some of my teeth and someday he will take away the rest - I will die. That is reality. I'd rather accept aging and death with grace and be at peace than live in denial and view all the things I can no longer do as failures. Older people are a great treasure but society treats them as if they were an inconvenience because they can no longer work, are no longer "productive", cannot ride a bike, or __(fill in the blank)__.

I would have thought a 50+ forum would be different but some of the attitudes here are very saddening.

-Tim-

Last edited by TimothyH; 12-22-17 at 10:12 PM.
Old 12-22-17, 10:34 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Happily, in this day and age, we have the ability to live healthy and active lives longer than previous generations.

To throw in the towel when we're still in our 50s is a bit premature. Keep going! Get out there and do stuff! Exercise, learn new things, try new things, enjoy life!! It's not time for the walker and rocking chair yet.

Maybe 70-something might be old ... but 50-something is nowhere near old yet.
Old 12-22-17, 10:54 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka
Happily, in this day and age, we have the ability to live healthy and active lives longer than previous generations.

To throw in the towel when we're still in our 50s is a bit premature. Keep going! Get out there and do stuff! Exercise, learn new things, try new things, enjoy life!! It's not time for the walker and rocking chair yet.

Maybe 70-something might be old ... but 50-something is nowhere near old yet.

This type of attitude is part and parcel of the problem.

Telling others when change is right for them based on your own life isn't right, nor is buying an e-bike somehow being a quitter.

If that's what the guy wants to do, or feels he needs to do, then it is up to him. Nobody said anything about walkers or rocking chairs. Walkers and rocking chairs are not e-bikes.

I met a 103 year old Trappist monk who used a walker. No one ever accused him of "throwing in the towel."

-Tim-

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.