Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

ICE Trike

Search
Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

ICE Trike

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-11, 09:25 AM
ladyraestewart

Bikes: Trek Lexi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
ICE Trike

My boyfriend cannot ride a traditional bike due to back problems. He wants to ride with me and has been looking at trikes, specifically the ICE trikes. Any recommendations, comments or information anyone can provide?

I just started riding myself about two months ago and just purchased a new road bike. I'm doing the longer distance rides so he needs something that is comparable for road bike riding. He is even saying he wants to plan on doing a century ride with me next year. Any help is appreciated.
Old 04-18-11, 11:32 PM
aenlaasu

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've owned a Trike by ICE for 5 years now and it's been a wonderful experience. I have the now discontinued Trice QNT (NT for narrow track) which is the equivalent of the basic Sprint model. I purchased mine for the same reason your BF is considering a trike. It is comfortable and often my back feels better after a ride, but I can't say if that's the rule or the exception .

A lot of people say trikes are slower, but since I've never been a fast rider even when I could deal with a DF, I can't compare between them. I have been able to ride my trike longer and farther than I ever could. It's been mostly trouble free with the problems I have had due to MY mistakes and not the construction of the trike. It's solidly stable and I've never flipped it even when I've zipped around sharp curves with gravel at 25+ mph.

I purchased it directly from ICE and their customer service has been top-notch. The new models are much more transport friendly.
Old 04-19-11, 07:02 AM
Ajenkins
Dogs like me.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've got a 2010 ICE Sprint with about 500 miles on her. It's the only trike I've ever had, so I can't do any comparisons for you, but I can say I am quite satisfied with the vehicle. I rode it every day to work through the horrible January of 2011, when we had 70 inches of snow. It held up through that, which says something, I guess.

I like having the rear suspension, and I got it with front drum brakes in case I want to ad the front suspension someday (FS won't work with disk brakes). Love 'em.

The folding is sweet. Somebody finally figured out that a hinge doesn't have to go at right angles.
Old 04-20-11, 08:52 AM
hmw46

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
ICE trike

I have a 2009 QNT and it is a very good trike. I'd recommend it highly to anyone. I use it for trail and street riding. The rear suspension really does make a more pleasant ride. I'm going to add front suspension at some point.

I would like to mention that a two-wheel bike is faster (all things being equal) than a trike. Two trikes riding together is much more friendly fun than a bike and a trike. You're both on the same level and it's easier to talk. Consider what you want to get out of this relationship. I believe it would be much more fun if both of you had trikes.

Old 04-20-11, 04:32 PM
bjjoondo 

Bikes: 2011 ICE Sprint Special Edition

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 101 Times in 66 Posts
ICE makes a trike called the Vortex, with it's 700c rear wheel, etc., it should be semi-fast in nature. What kind of road bike do YOU ride, a full carbon road racer or just a good steel or alumn. road bike or hybrid?? Remember, it will take him awhile to get his, "recumbent legs" but from what I've seen, certain trikes can be quick!