Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

How do you deal with the fear of being ran over one day? Almost ran over a few times.

Old 11-16-19, 07:50 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
One reason I don't mention having your stuff together spiritually ... is that I figure that a person with a clue and a belief (plenty of really smart, good people out there with non-spiritual beliefs) already knows that getting that part of life in order comes first ... before Everything else.

A little extra never hurts, if you already lean that way. But .... whatever gets you through.
Old 11-16-19, 11:54 PM
RMoudatir

Bikes: Otso Warakin, 2014 Fuji Sportif 1.4 disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
RMoutadir;

It comes to this: Do it or do something else. Choose.

First, you know it is all in your mind. You say you are scared by individual vehicles, but not by steady traffic? Steady traffic is a stream of .... wait for it ... Individual Vehicles. One startles you, the other does not, but the other is exactly as more deadly as the number of vehicles in the stream.

Second, whether you want to admit it or not, you don't have to ride. You can get another job---people change jobs all the time. Maybe this is the job you want ... but that is a choice. Accept the choice, or make a different one. All this waffling serves only harmful purpose.

You have decided to ride on those roads. No one is holding a gun to your head. And maybe deciding to do something else would be a huge and complicated decision, a life-changing decision. But if you get hit and crippled, that is life-changing too.

Equally, choosing to accept the choices you have already made and to accept the life you have chosen, would be equally life-changing.

We all have moments when a vehicle comes too close and we get a little scared ... but then, we don't get hit.

Some of us have been hit, too. But then, some folks have been hit by lightning. Some folks have fought in wars and been killed after they got home safely. The only certainty is that we all leave here, one way or another, at some time or another. What we do here is what matters.

I know this sound harsh, but ... it is a matter of growing up. Accept your life and its risks and rewards, or change your life and its risks and rewards. People have told you everything you need to hear. Now it is a matter of you changing your mind and changing your life, one way or another.

I have ridden on the road for fifty years. I have tasted fender, eaten windshield, and sampled pavement more times than I like to remember. I still love riding. But only you are you. Choose honestly, because whatever you choose, there will be both costs and rewards.
I'm never going to quit cycling cause of that fear and will continue to but I don't know why it's like I'm running into terrible drivers at a much higher frequency in the last couple of years. I regularly see drivers going over 60 mph on a 35 mph zone, It's like speed limits don't exist to them or something.

When I mentioned about a stream of vehicles, I meant that when I get a constant stream of vehicles, the drivers are much more tame, they don't speed up and drive so unpredictably since they don't have the freedom of no traffic ahead of them. Sometimes I question if the driving school system is flawed. Even just crossing the street as a pedestrian I've been cut off and almost ran over because the driver couldn't spare a few seconds of their day and decided that it's ok to make a left turn with a pedestrian in the middle of the street.

Most of these occurrences have happened not even while working as a courier delivery guy. I work in Santa Monica and Downtown LA and the riding there is much easier. Drivers don't go over 30 mph in most of the streets there.
Likes For RMoudatir:
Old 11-17-19, 07:04 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
Originally Posted by Phil_gretz
I'd rather die once on a road than die a thousand times riding on a multi-use path...
You only got one shot you know.
Old 11-17-19, 07:12 PM
foothillbilly

Bikes: Ancheer folding e-bike, ancient Trek (24" wheels, modified for my back problem), Zizzo trailer, homemade trailer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeyMK
Yeah I don't ride on roads, stupid idea.

But the 'mup's', as they're known on here, have their own hazards.
There's one particular descent I like to keep my speed up, as I'm charging my batteries on regeneration. It sweeps down past some overflow parking spaces which have cross-access, so there are posts there to negotiate. The path curves for the full duration, enough to have to lean through. This is fine, usually.

The whole area is amongst trees, so the path is currently heavily carpeted with decaying wet yellow leaves. The last few mornings I've practically slid through the posts at some 30mph, I'm pretty sure it's only a matter of time before I get it wrong...
No matter where I ride, some level of good sense helps.
Old 11-18-19, 12:02 PM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by Cheez
I too have been getting close calls with the cars, trucks, and buses but I never got hit.

OP, ask Jesus to protect you and he will. His Angel's are constantly at work. Either pray before riding a bike in the busy traffic or at least expect him to protect you. This is serious.
Originally Posted by bpcyclist
Certainly not pushing my religion on anyone else, but I absolutely pray before every ride. Twice. Once, the night before. Then, again right before I head out.

I ride through some pretty questionable areas of town at 430 in the morning some days. Guy just got stabbed on a MUP I am on routinely.

I'm not 30 years old anymore. I figure I need all the assistance I can possibly get.
Originally Posted by Maelochs
One reason I don't mention having your stuff together spiritually ... is that I figure that a person with a clue and a belief (plenty of really smart, good people out there with non-spiritual beliefs) already knows that getting that part of life in order comes first ... before Everything else.

A little extra never hurts, if you already lean that way. But .... whatever gets you through.
I too have had metaphysical musings about cycling. For example:
Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Hi MNHarv,

You may recall I likened your signature line to a Road Cyclist's Prayer, "Dear Lord, Just three paved feet to the right of the white fog stripe is all I need."
On my first major ride of last year [in 2014], down in Rhode Island, I did adopt this roadside statue as an icon of my Guardian Angel of the Road.

It reminds me of this Guardian Angel figure from the illustrated cartoon strip, who assumes that protective warrior image in times of danger to his ward.

When I'm peeved by a driver’s actions, instead of the middle finger and obscenties, I give my own special Bicyclist's Curse. I vigorously and repeatedly point my finger at the offender while shouting, “You, you, you…” with the intention that future harm befalls them. It’s more satisfying to me than the other gesture, with the hope of future metaphysical retribution.

I do also bestow Bicyclist's Blessings to drivers who show even a modicum of respect and compassion, with a friendly wave, a “Bless You,” and wishes for good things for them in the future. Even in car-crazy Boston, I perform numerously more blessings than curses. Probably about 2-3 blessings a day on a 14-mile commute vs about 1 curse every 3-4 weeks.

I feel empowered to perform these rituals, because my friend who introduced me to adult cycling once commented when a threatening rain turned sunny, “God smiles on His Bicyclists.”
Originally Posted by Matthew 16:19
And I will give unto thee the keys of the kingdom of heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt bind on earth shall be bound in heaven: and whatsoever thou shalt loose on earth shall be loosed in heaven
Likes For Jim from Boston:
Old 11-20-19, 06:38 AM
ultrarider7

Bikes: 1964 Schwinn Varsity, 1985 Trek 410, 1985 Peugeot P 8, 2021 Pinarello Dogma F12, 2022 Cannondale Topstone Alloy

Quoted: 106 Post(s)
Liked 1,102 Times in 327 Posts
I go under the assumption, that there are idiots ahead of me and jackasses behind me.

That said, from my motorcycling days the lesson I learned from the advanced rider classes was "SIPIDI", or Sip Dee. See it, plan it, do it.

I assume the idiots in front will not yield to me, the jackasses behind will cut me off to make a right turn and think of some evasive action, just in case. Many times I'm not disappointed, they do.

I survived 20 years of riding a motorcycle and way more years on a bicycle...knock on wood.
Old 12-05-19, 10:25 AM
SkullHead

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
RIde and have fun!
Old 12-05-19, 05:50 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Cameras and mirrors are useful tools.

Lots of party crashers out there, spot them before they spot you, avoid them, and do not engage.

I've also found that if I soft pedal away from stoplights, it allows motorists to feel superior. (until they are stopped at the next light)