Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Class 2 versus Class 3 for four bike hitch rack

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-14, 04:28 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Our family of 4 is growing up and I need some insight.

Our current bike transportation by car arrangement will soon be outgrown.
Here's the current set up:
- Compact car with yakima roof rack and class 1, 1.25" receiver (200lb max tongue weight)
- On hitch is yakmia bighorn 4 rack with two adult bikes (Transported once with the 20" kids bike too, but felt I was pushing it. I'm sure I didn't exceed the 200lb rating, but with the weight of the bikes set back plus wind resistance it made me nervous)
- On roof back is a yakima basket case with kids 20" bike strapped to it sideways.
- Trunk contains burley trailer or weehoo or 16" kids bike.

The kids are getting bigger and we're needing a larger car anyway and the youngest will move to a 20" bike which can't fit in the trunk. We're not getting a minivan and despite the roof rack option we have chosen not to use it for bike racks for a variety of reasons. However the rack will be on the new car for using the basketcase and rocketbox (skis/snowboards, etc.), but ideally not for strapping down a bike on the basketcase (but I would be okay with this). I've been scoping out available hitches on uhaul for tongue weights on new cars I'm considering.

So input is needed:
Some midsized sedans still only take class 1, so they aren't an option. Some allow a class 2 - 350 lb max tongue weight. Will a C2 handle 4 bikes + the weight of hitch rack? Or only 3?

When stepping up to some small SUVs some accomodate a class 3 receiver - 525 max tongue weight.
I assume this will have no issues with 4 bikes on a hitch rack?

For those of you that have had SUVs and Sedans - can you feel less wind resistance with your SUV compared to the lower profile of your car when transporting bikes on a hitch rack?

And yes, folding bike has been considered as well that can be put in the trunk. We usually ride from home, but like take the bikes to rail trails and other events about 6 times a year.
Old 10-07-14, 04:53 PM
Igualmente

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On Yakima's website there is discussion of this. There are a some models that handle 4 bikes. The FAQ's for these (eg for the Ridgeback 4) discuss the class of receiver you need (under some conditions only class 1, apparently). There are also downloadable instructions that might say more.

Keep in mind that 4 heavy bikes (40lbs each?) and a 35 to 40lbs rack is 195-200lbs. Maybe use class II to be safe, but I'd be surprised if Class 3 was needed.
Old 10-07-14, 04:59 PM
joeyduck

Bikes: 1997 Kona Hahana Race Light, 2010 Surly LHT(deceased), 1999 Rocky Mountain Turbo

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Reading:

Trailer Hitches, Hitch Accessories, Hitch Wiring
Old 10-07-14, 05:47 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
Take a look at the Kuat NV with the 2 bike add-on. I loved my 1.25 one so much that I purchased the 2" one with the add-on for my camping van. Been all over the US and Canada with it and NO problems. Kuat makes a great product and I would be surprised if any rack manufacturer would have as good a customer service dept as they do. Last summer one of the cable locks on my older NV failed a phone call later and a new set was mailed out.
Old 10-07-14, 09:49 PM
fourknees

Bikes: currently: electra townie 21d and 7d,i, durban bay pro 7, raleigh hybrid (2001 c40), burley trailer, a few kids bikes. Former: Townie 3i, weehoo trailer...

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Igualmente
On Yakima's website there is discussion of this. There are a some models that handle 4 bikes. The FAQ's for these (eg for the Ridgeback 4) discuss the class of receiver you need (under some conditions only class 1, apparently). There are also downloadable instructions that might say more.

Keep in mind that 4 heavy bikes (40lbs each?) and a 35 to 40lbs rack is 195-200lbs. Maybe use class II to be safe, but I'd be surprised if Class 3 was needed.
My existing hitch rack can handle 4 bikes. I am more concerned as you mentioned with 120lbs of bike plus 30 lbs of the hitch still being to much for a class 2. From a pure tongue weight perspective not a big deal, but the set back weight and the air pushing on it while driving is a concern. All the vehicles I've seen with 4 bikes on it are large vehicles such as my dad's full size pick up growing up.
Old 10-08-14, 02:33 AM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Would a pick up work for your daily needs? There are truck bed mounted racks that will accommodate up to 5 bikes. You should still be able to carry the skis on the roof.
Old 10-08-14, 04:54 AM
Igualmente

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fourknees
My existing hitch rack can handle 4 bikes. I am more concerned as you mentioned with 120lbs of bike plus 30 lbs of the hitch still being to much for a class 2. From a pure tongue weight perspective not a big deal, but the set back weight and the air pushing on it while driving is a concern. All the vehicles I've seen with 4 bikes on it are large vehicles such as my dad's full size pick up growing up.
Yes... I'm sure bending moments and the ability of both the hitch and vehicle structure to take these forces are a concern. I would also think that Yakima has engineers that understand this and that the hitch makers have engineers who understand how to calculate forces. I suspect they also test these things. I also think that there is an interface between the Yakima and hitch company engineers (i.e. they exchange information), and between the hitch company and body structure/chassis engineers at the car makers. Are they perfect? No, like in any profession or area of work. Do they mostly get it right? AFAIK these things aren't unintentionally flying off cars everyday. This is why I point you to their specifications and instructions: they've done the math and sell a 4 bike mount (and they are a large company with, AFAIK, a decent reputation).

That said, if you contemplate some unusually severe and/or prolonged driving with the 4 bikes, then the Class III might be your thing. One can always find a way to exceed design capacities.
Old 10-08-14, 05:45 AM
chewa
The Flying Scot

Bikes: Custom (Colin Laing) 531c fast tourer/audax, 1964 Flying Scot Continental, 1995 Cinelli Supercorsa, Holdsworth Mistral single speed, Dahon Speed 6 (folder), Micmo Sirocco and a few more

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think things must be more complicated across the pond.

Here (AFAIK) we have a standard tow ball size ( I think it is 50mm) and the restricting features are "noseweight" and towing capacity of the car and thec capacity of the bar itself. So the detachable Westfalia towbar fitted to my E class estate (wagon) (which can take a "noseweight" of 85kg) has a maximum noseweight limit of 130kg (i.e the limiting factor is the car's noseweight capacity).

I bought a Atera Strada DL3 rear carrier with 4 bike option (because it slides back on rails - rather than tilt- to allow the dogs to have access to the rear of the car) which weighs 16kg, leaving 69kg for bikes.

Just back from 3 months in France and it coped well with two MTBs and two road bikes (one steel/one carbon). No effect on driving (the car self levels and has airmatic suspension anyway) Very stable, no excessive moving about. Fuel consumption went from 41 mpg to 35 mpg

1985 Sandy Gilchrist-Colin Laing built 531c Audax/fast tourer.
1964 Flying Scot Continental (531)
1995 Cinelli Supercorsa (Columbus SLX)
1980s Holdsworth Mistral fixed (531)
2005 Dahon Speed 6 (folder)
(YES I LIKE STEEL)
2008 Viking Saratoga tandem
2008 Micmo Sirocco Hybrid (aluminium!)
2012 BTwin Rockrider 8.1

Last edited by chewa; 10-08-14 at 08:36 AM. Reason: typos
Old 10-08-14, 08:02 AM
Looigi

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
FWIW: Hitches have plenty of safety margin at their rated max, so I wouldn't be concerned about loading them to the max. Also, the tongue weight limit is allowable at max towing load limit which includes fore/aft, left/right and up/down loads placed on the hitch by the inertia and momentum of the trailer under acceleration, braking, cornering and bumps. With a hitch rack, the hitch is only dealing with the mass of the hitch and bikes and not a much more massive trailer pushing/pulling on it.
Old 10-08-14, 11:01 AM
fourknees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks or all the input. I was reviewing the yakima site and saw the hitch class recommendations in the product description. However some of the hitch racks for 4 bikes show comparability with a class 1, but I wouldn't want to put 4 bikes on.

I'll probably go the class 3 route, it just seems that for certain cars class 2 was the highest rated receiver available.
I do like pickups, but our family wants to balance a smaller vehicle as we do mostly city driving with fuel efficiency.
Old 10-08-14, 11:34 AM
demoncyclist

Bikes: 2011 Lynskey Sportive, 1988 Cannondale SM400

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a Class 1 hitch on my Scion xB. I have had absolutely no issues carrying 4 bikes with my Yakima DoubleDown Ace rack. As Loogi said, there is plenty of margin built into the weight ratings, and a bike rack is far less of a strain than a trailer, which is moving around while connected to your car.
Old 10-08-14, 01:08 PM
fourknees

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by demoncyclist
I have a Class 1 hitch on my Scion xB. I have had absolutely no issues carrying 4 bikes with my Yakima DoubleDown Ace rack. As Loogi said, there is plenty of margin built into the weight ratings, and a bike rack is far less of a strain than a trailer, which is moving around while connected to your car.
Thanks demoncyclist. This is helpful.

I think not helping my situation is that with my electra townie the rear wheel really sticks up in the air like a sail and in my smaller car I can really feel it. I've tried a yakima adapter top tube bar like we use on my wife's bike, but it doesn't quite work.

I also once drug a trailer by the safety chains on the interstate (NOT due to the receiver breaking) and that was a scary situation that ended fine. So that is probably influencing my rational.