Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Winter Cycling
Reload this Page >

Ice On the Street - how do you deal with it?

Search
Notices
Winter Cycling Don't let snow and ice discourage you this winter. The key element to year-round cycling is proper attire! Check out this winter cycling forum to chat with other ice bike fanatics.

Ice On the Street - how do you deal with it?

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-21, 06:36 PM
djb

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2735 Post(s)
Liked 969 Times in 792 Posts
Originally Posted by xyz
Not with studs. With studs you probably have better traction on ice than you do with normal tires on dry pavement.
exactemundo, I just got home from my commute and was the studs did their thing perfectly on ice. No issues, no drama, and no fall down go boom.
Old 01-11-21, 08:17 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by epnnf
Who are we all kidding? If you're traveling on ice, you need more than 2 wheels/feet.
I've been commuting home on icy conditions and been surprised how slippery the road surface was when I needed to stop and put a foot down - it was only putting my boot on the road that I realized how icy it was. My winter tires were giving me much better traction than the cars, so good that I was clueless the roads were icy. And for the record, when I figured out how bad the roads were, I reroute to non-motorized trails and avoid the death traps on the road.

Studded tires make ice just another riding surface:

Old 01-11-21, 08:59 AM
fooferdoggie 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 680 Post(s)
Liked 947 Times in 554 Posts
in portland Oregon we have so little snow or ice anymore that there is Ince in the morning I will take the bus because the ice will have melted in a bit. but year we have not had any ice at all. last here there were some icy spots and I almost lost it on a curve under a tree. so far this year have only had one day below 3 and the roads were dry.
Old 01-13-21, 09:11 PM
xyz
Banned.

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 6072 Post(s)
Liked 894 Times in 712 Posts
How well do the studs hold up on dry pavement? I put them on expecting some snow but it's been pretty dry.
Old 01-13-21, 09:16 PM
djb

Originally Posted by xyz
How well do the studs hold up on dry pavement? I put them on expecting some snow but it's been pretty dry.
good question but I don't know yet. I'll let you know when spring arrives. How you ride and carbide studs vs steel make a difference.
Old 01-13-21, 09:20 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by djb
good question but I don't know yet. I'll let you know when spring arrives. How you ride and carbide studs vs steel make a difference.
I got the ice spiker pro, carbide. I suppose I will only put a few hundred miles on over the winter so it won't be too bad. Hopefully we will get some snow and ice to ride on soon.
Old 01-13-21, 09:42 PM
djb

My first winter with studded tires, carbide also. I was careful with bedding them in for 40kms, I guess I have maybe 3-400kms so far, 200-250 miles, so time will tell. I'm hoping 3 winters maybe?

Last edited by djb; 01-14-21 at 08:31 AM.
Old 01-14-21, 08:11 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Originally Posted by xyz
I'd say carbide studs will do well on pavement. After 3 winters and between 1,500 and 2,000 miles. I replaced the center row of studs on my Dillinger4 tires for $50 in parts/tools. I ride a mix of snowy single-track trails, snowy limestone trails, icy lakes, and most of the miles are on paved surfaces that may or may not have snow/ice.

The studs on the right are the old ones and new on the left. I did buy the larger studs for replacement (the tires came with standard), so it might look like there's more wear than there really is. See the stud still in the tire to see some of the same size as the ones on the right (hope that makes sense).

Here's a short video replacing a stud and links in the description of the products/tools (I might have posted this earlier in this thread ... sorry if I'm repeating myself.

BTW - Depending on the tire design, be careful cornering with studded tires on dry pavement ... I've never lost it, but had a couple pucker up moments.
Old 01-14-21, 08:33 AM
djb

thanks toad, I guess the water just helps with making the rubber more slippy? The twisting / circular motion looks like it puts less stress on the edge of the rubber hole.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-14-21, 01:05 PM
Hypno Toad
meh

Originally Posted by djb
thanks toad, I guess the water just helps with making the rubber more slippy? The twisting / circular motion looks like it puts less stress on the edge of the rubber hole.
Right, the water helps reduce friction and twisting helps be sure the stud is fully seated (not hung up on the rubber). I'll say that doing this process 100 times did leave my hand shaking/cramping/sore.
Old 01-14-21, 07:55 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Right, the water helps reduce friction and twisting helps be sure the stud is fully seated (not hung up on the rubber). I'll say that doing this process 100 times did leave my hand shaking/cramping/sore.
I can imagine, cramping i mean.

you know, looking at the "depth" of your old carbide bits, compared to my newish schwalbe studs, yours dont seem aaaaall that worn away. Maybe cuz I dont have my tires in front of me Im misjudging. So far, Id say about 75% of my riding has been on pavement and wet pavement, so I reallly am curious to see how long this set of tires lasts, well, the studs really.
I do try though to be easy on them all in all, and Im a lightweight guy, so like with my other bike tires, I tend to get good life out of stuff.

I will however keep an eye out for replacement stud kits, for the future anyway.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-17-21, 11:56 AM
xyz
Banned.

With the knobs they sure make it a workout.
Old 01-19-21, 10:18 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Note that studded tures on a clean road have a lot less grip than you are used to with a normal tire.

I'll be the wimp and avoid riding when there is ice about! Cold, no problem, but my bones break too easily now so I am out in the cold only when there is no chance of ice. I do admire those that are out there though and that includes my wife who is out there on studded tires.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 01-20-21, 05:47 AM
nomadmax 

Mentioned: 93 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 1,824 Times in 878 Posts
Don't ride any faster than you're willing to fall.
Old 01-20-21, 10:00 AM
xyz
Banned.

Yeah, between the knobbies and the spikes on them I am not riding so fast even on the pavement. I was actually getting sore legs after doing a few days of 10 mile rides in a row.
Old 01-20-21, 10:59 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

But just think of how fast you'll feel in the spring when you get back to your summer tires
Likes For Hypno Toad:
Old 01-20-21, 11:21 AM
xyz
Banned.

I have an office job now, so I have been putting on weight, that really slows me down also. If I could put on another 50 lbs I could get in REALLY good shape!
Likes For xyz:
Old 01-20-21, 12:24 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
But just think of how fast you'll feel in the spring when you get back to your summer tires
This is exactly why I got started with winter riding, to keep my legs in shape for a touring trip. Riding knobbies on snow on an older bike is more work, even going slowly, and it really keeps your legs in good shape.
Added bonus is that it gives you good ski legs too.
win win win
Likes For djb:
Old 01-20-21, 01:10 PM
Riveting

Bikes: '13 Diamondback Hybrid Commuter, '17 Spec Roubaix Di2, '17 Spec Camber 29'er, '19 CDale Topstone Gravel

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 590 Post(s)
Liked 445 Times in 260 Posts
No braking, no turning, and only light pedaling (if absolutely necessary). And I unclip one foot, just in case I need to dab.
Old 01-24-21, 02:53 PM
Bikewolf

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
There is ice, and there is ice. Sometimes tracks can form (due to traffic), winding ice lines with different heights like a rocky landscape. And that is no fun :-/

Although, it does make things all the more adventurous :-)
You can look for better tracks / surfaces nearby. And there is zero shame in continuing on foot for a moment. Think snow cyclocross.
Old 01-26-21, 12:12 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Ice? I can do donuts on ice in my velomobile.

I love having three wheels in the winter. I've skid a bit here and there, but this year, I'm working from home and haven't had to worry about it.
Old 01-26-21, 02:16 PM
djb

Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Ice? I can do donuts on ice in my velomobile.

I love having three wheels in the winter. I've skid a bit here and there, but this year, I'm working from home and haven't had to worry about it.
had to look up UT to see that its Utah. Velomobile, very very cool. Around here I've only seen one or two, one a few times on a week long supported ride my wife and I used to do every year.
I suspect yours is the only Velomobile in Utah!
must be fun as heck riding/driving that very unique thingee.
Old 01-26-21, 03:35 PM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by djb
had to look up UT to see that its Utah. Velomobile, very very cool. Around here I've only seen one or two, one a few times on a week long supported ride my wife and I used to do every year.
I suspect yours is the only Velomobile in Utah!
must be fun as heck riding/driving that very unique thingee.
Believe it or not, there are 5 velos in the Salt Lake Metro area (that covers roughly from Logan to Provo). I think I have the only one without an e-assist though.

I'm originally from AZ, so I hate the cold, and it's the only way to keep riding all year. I can't seem to do trainers, I just get bored not actually going anywhere.
Old 01-26-21, 06:07 PM
djb

well my memories of the two Ive seen on those supported trips is of seeing the owner and velomobile close up at lunch breaks, and then also of the guy zooming by me on a slight downhill.
If I had all the money to burn, I'd own one, and a Pennyfarthing. All bike stuff is neat.

re trainers, I get it, when I started with a trainer many years ago, I set it up so that I could watch a tv series, so was able to consistently ride every day while watching a show, with breaks for my arse doing stretches, which is really necessary, and beneficial.
Likes For djb:
Old 01-26-21, 06:57 PM
xyz
Banned.

Originally Posted by djb
well my memories of the two Ive seen on those supported trips is of seeing the owner and velomobile close up at lunch breaks, and then also of the guy zooming by me on a slight downhill.
If I had all the money to burn, I'd own one, and a Pennyfarthing. All bike stuff is neat.

re trainers, I get it, when I started with a trainer many years ago, I set it up so that I could watch a tv series, so was able to consistently ride every day while watching a show, with breaks for my arse doing stretches, which is really necessary, and beneficial.
A real bike is easier. If I ride ten miles away from home I have no choice but to ride ten miles to get home. On a trainer you can stop anytime. Takes much more willpower.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.