Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Approximately How much have you invested in butt comfort?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Approximately How much have you invested in butt comfort?

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-21, 09:57 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Starting in 2005 I ended up investing $2700 ($4500 in todays prices) on a LWB bent and a trike. Money well spent.
Likes For rydabent:
Old 02-18-21, 12:23 PM
icemilkcoffee 

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1557 Post(s)
Liked 1,732 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Hiro11
Looks like a carbon copy of a Romin.
True, but not really an exact copy. I also have a Romin Evo, which I like as well. The chinese carbon seat has more curvature and needs to be nosed-up slightly more than the Romin, and the padding is maybe a little thicker.
Old 02-18-21, 05:04 PM
Troul 

Bikes: RSO E-tire dropper fixie brifter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2,946 Times in 1,906 Posts
Originally Posted by UCantTouchThis
I am amazed at my inexpensive saddle. Charge Spoon saddle, $30'ish on ebay. I had read about this saddle on a forum and thought it was total BS couple years back. But after trying a few new saddles, figured it couldn't hurt for this price. First one was $24 last year, now have 3, one on each bike.

I used Terry Fly saddles for years. Did 23 centuries back in 2005. Felt great but after paying $60, $70, Then $75, the big jump up to $175 was like a kick in the teeth and I am not willing to pay it. So I tried a few that worked but just OK, never felt really good.

So I tried the Charge Spoon and to my surprise, the first time I sat on it, thought it felt like the Terry. A wee bit stiff at the start but after some saddle time, it only got better. Doing several 60-70 milers, feeling really good on it!

So 3 saddles for 3 bikes, about $100.

So those people in that debate that I thought were dopey, sorry about that!
Now you look like a huge saddle to them.
Old 02-18-21, 09:14 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Ever think it might just be you? Seriously, through all of those and you still haven't found a winner?
It took me quite a while to realise that I was testing saddles that were based on similar shapes and principles. The Brooks, Fabric, Turbo, and a few others were all curved-top, non-cutout saddles. I struggled with numbness.The Romin, Toupe, and Bridge were minor variations on a Fabric Scoop Flat with a rearward cutout. Numbness was still a problem. The Power 155 was the best saddle I tried for over a year with very few numbness issues, but the fast flare shoved me forward. I didn't have this issue with other shapes. After the Power, I finally wisened up and realised a forward cutout with a pear shape and a flat top would work much better. My new "intelligent" list of saddles to try include the Chinese Superflow and the Pro Stealth. Last, I worked at a shop, so I tried stuff just for the sake of experience.

But yeah, it might just be me. Or not.
Old 02-18-21, 10:11 PM
Troul 

I see some folks replace them in about a year of use. What signs do you look for to determine that the butt comfort is junk? Some are tossing $100+ annually, just in seats!
Old 02-19-21, 03:06 AM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
December 2020, I bought a “Fi'zi:k Antares Versus Evo 00 Adaptive Saddle” (146mm width) $400. It is a light weight, honeycomb surfaced, all-carbon model. Although, as spndntrxi noted, the name is quite long, it has provided a more comfortable ride on my trainer and THAT is reason enough for me. I can transfer it from my trainer, when the time comes.

The bike saddle purchase is part of my “personal comfort” priorities. I thought about the costs for my various seating arrangements: living room chair, sofa, office, kayak cushions, lawn, beach and camping chairs and just how much actual time, that I use each of them. I also thought about my vehicle’s driver seat features and guesstimated its cost as well. Considering the costs $ and time spent sitting on them, the bike saddle is worth going into arrears for. Ha !

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 02-19-21 at 03:54 AM.
Likes For WheelsDoHeal:
Old 02-19-21, 04:10 AM
Troul 

that is a cool lookin piece of butt comfort ^
Old 02-19-21, 04:19 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Troul
Are you likely to have an average distance greater than 20 miles when you do ride?
Average ride distance is probably around the 20 mile mark, as the daily commute is 12 mile roundtrip, but during the non-winter months I do one to two rides a week upwards of 40 miles. The yearly distance has been around 4-4.2K miles for the last few years. My longest ride so far has been 130 miles in a day.

So while I do not spend very long hours in the saddle every ride, every day, 2-4 hour rides are not uncommon for me.

I'm not saying that I could not benefit from increased saddle comfort, but I've been feeling fine as it is, so I'm no hurry to spend money towards it.
Likes For subgrade:
Old 02-19-21, 06:19 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
that is a cool lookin piece of butt comfort ^
Might take a few Q-tips to clean though.
Old 02-19-21, 07:23 AM
WheelsDoHeal

Bikes: 22 Specialized TurboVado SL 4.0,20 Specialized Sirrus X 4.0, 2019 Devinci Hatchet Carbon, Jamis Tangier

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 7 Posts
No cotton swabs are needed. This saddle is Very easy to clean; just remove the seatpost with saddle mounted or remove saddle from the seatpost... run under a water faucet, let air dry and that is it. There are No closed or open-cell materials used in this saddles’ construction. The non-moisture-absorbing webbed material is Very breathable, and I can sense a mild cooling effect when using a simple table fan with the trainer.

I think a saddle is quite functional as it helps to balance, provide comfort and rest the body. To me, these factors are important and reason to Not allow this item to take a back seat to equipment spending decisions (I had to say that) butt you decide for yourself.

Last edited by WheelsDoHeal; 02-25-21 at 09:02 AM.
Old 02-19-21, 07:42 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
I really, really like the Toupe and S saddles in general. Off the top of my head, I have 1 crabon, 4 Ti, and 1 Cro-mo. I haven't seen Toupes for sale anywhere this past year; I fear they might be discontinued.

No mentions of seatposts? There is some comfort to be had there. I started with 1 Ritchey Flexlogic, and now acquired 1 Superlogic.
Likes For DorkDisk:
Old 02-19-21, 05:37 PM
Troul 

it might be dishwasher safe?
Old 02-20-21, 09:51 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Of course everyone must admit that this is just another thread that admits that saddles on DF bikes causes pain.

In this case this thread admits the problem.

Last edited by rydabent; 04-23-21 at 08:54 AM.
Old 02-20-21, 11:52 AM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Bikes: Bikey McBike Face

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 2571 Post(s)
Liked 5,602 Times in 2,907 Posts
Last year after really getting back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus, my return came with a big surprise ->. Unpredictable urinary urgency. From research I determined it was due to compression of the pudential nerve that is the major nerve in the perineum which controls all functions in the netherparts. So my quest for a saddle began which did not compress the nerve. I spent over $1000 on saddles recommended to alleviate this and other similar nerve compression related issues. So far, no dice and running out of options. Have two expensive Selles and one cheap very comfy one for the mtn bike. Had great hopes with a very bizarre looking front channeled saddle for my $300 and still no love. It seems this issue is the trade off that comes with riding or else I just learn to ride out of the saddle as much as possible which can be exhausting. Don’t want to give up the sport I love so much, so if anyone has conquered a similar condition, let me know what worked for you (sorry but not going for a recumbent since I invested major $ in a new ride last year).

Last edited by rsbob; 02-20-21 at 12:56 PM.
Old 02-20-21, 12:08 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 644 Post(s)
Liked 1,044 Times in 667 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Last year after really getting back into cycling after a 15 year hiatus, my return came with a big surprise ->. Unpredictable urinary urgency. From research I determined it was due to compression of the perennial nerve that is the major nerve in the crotch area which controls all functions in the netherparts. So my quest for a saddle began which did not compress the nerve....
Have you tried changing the riding position? Perhaps an upright position would change the geometry enough to resolve the issue? I didn’t experience this issue, but I did a lot of tinkering last year and ended up changing both bikes to SS with touring bars. Also went to a basic modern saddle with a center channel. The end result is more comfort even on much longer rides.

The swept bars and SS seem to go together, as the swept back position helps with making long, standing climbs feel like I’m running up the hill in a very balanced and natural position.

Of course that kind of setup may not help and it may be a bridge too far to contemplate on your current bike. Perhaps you could get an old beater and try it out in an upright posture?

Hope that helps!

Otto
Old 02-20-21, 01:01 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Originally Posted by ofajen
Have you tried changing the riding position? Perhaps an upright position would change the geometry enough to resolve the issue? I didn’t experience this issue, but I did a lot of tinkering last year and ended up changing both bikes to SS with touring bars. Also went to a basic modern saddle with a center channel. The end result is more comfort even on much longer rides.

The swept bars and SS seem to go together, as the swept back position helps with making long, standing climbs feel like I’m running up the hill in a very balanced and natural position.

Of course that kind of setup may not help and it may be a bridge too far to contemplate on your current bike. Perhaps you could get an old beater and try it out in an upright posture?

Hope that helps!

Otto
Thanks Otto. I raised the bar height substantially which feels like my center of gravity is way up and that may have helped a little. I ride an endurance frame and have one of the largest center channel seats available. Your idea of a beater bike for experimentation is a good one. Thank you

Old 02-20-21, 04:15 PM
Troul 

drop nose with cutout might work
Old 02-20-21, 04:31 PM
Bmach

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 264 Times in 162 Posts
I ride 5 bikes different saddles on each one. No problem with any of them.

I think part of the problem with saddle discomfort is people go on a few rides and don’t give their butts time to adjust. Then they start changing saddles, their butt adjusts and they think they found the magic saddle.
Likes For Bmach:
Old 02-20-21, 05:00 PM
Troul 

To me, picking out a seat is like picking out toilet paper. Make the wrong pick & your butt will pay for it, twice!
Old 02-20-21, 06:16 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by rsbob
Thanks Otto. I raised the bar height substantially which feels like my center of gravity is way up and that may have helped a little. I ride an endurance frame and have one of the largest center channel seats available. Your idea of a beater bike for experimentation is a good one. Thank you
Have you considered one of the Infinity Bike Seat options? eg.

Old 02-20-21, 07:28 PM
50PlusCycling

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 548 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 403 Posts
The best investment (and to many people, the most expensive) is time in the saddle. More than half of the comfort issue is your backside, not the saddle or shorts. If you spend enough time in the saddle, you get accustomed and remain accustomed to it. I like to play the guitar, and acoustic guitars are not easy on the fingers. You can use lighter strings and such, but the only way to play without pain or discomfort is to play as much as possible. If I take a couple/few weeks off from playing the guitar, it becomes painful again to play for more than half an hour or so.
Old 02-20-21, 07:34 PM
Troul 

Originally Posted by 50PlusCycling
The best investment (and to many people, the most expensive) is time in the saddle. More than half of the comfort issue is your backside, not the saddle or shorts. If you spend enough time in the saddle, you get accustomed and remain accustomed to it. I like to play the guitar, and acoustic guitars are not easy on the fingers. You can use lighter strings and such, but the only way to play without pain or discomfort is to play as much as possible. If I take a couple/few weeks off from playing the guitar, it becomes painful again to play for more than half an hour or so.
My genitals disagree with this statement.
Old 02-20-21, 08:27 PM
Ashloff

Bikes: Trek Slash 7 and kit ebike

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I’m new to mountain biking and at first I purchased a cheap-o seat for about $30. After realizing it is not a good fit for riding I purchased a female friendly design from Selle for about $80. It’s worth it.

The other saddle I have is a used $12 saddle also inspired by female ergonomics. The original price would have been similar to the first seat.

I hate it when my hip bones hurt. A good seat is worth it.
Old 02-20-21, 11:14 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

Have you considered one of the Infinity Bike Seat options? eg.

Great minds think alike. But just sold one to another forum member. Didn’t work out with my sit bones. Too much pressure after 20 mins. But you have the right idea

Old 02-20-21, 11:21 PM
rsbob 
Grupetto Bob

drop nose with cutout might work
Bought one of those too. Have one on my mtn bike. Super comfy but didn’t help my issue

Originally Posted by Bmach
I ride 5 bikes different saddles on each one. No problem with any of them.

I think part of the problem with saddle discomfort is people go on a few rides and don’t give their butts time to adjust. Then they start changing saddles, their butt adjusts and they think they found the magic saddle.
I used to ride 3000-5000 miles a year for several years, so have pretty good familiarity with long term relationships with saddles. I rode each of the current ones about 300-500 miles before tossing, unless you are speaking in generalities, then neva mind.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.