Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Saved, but now what?

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Saved, but now what?

Old 12-23-19, 11:54 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 58 Posts
Thanks a bunch Murry Missile, bike hoarder, for the advice! Very helpful There is a very good coop here and parts a plenty.

Last edited by Nubra; 12-23-19 at 11:57 AM. Reason: added details
Old 12-23-19, 11:59 AM
Nubra 

Bikes: Miyata six-ten, Miyata Grand Touring, Univega Sport Tour, Univega Gran Turismo, 80's Trek MTB, 2008 Dahon Mariner

Originally Posted by garryg
I thought this site was about love for old bikes, seems some folks think it is all about making money with old bikes.
Yep, the old "love/hate" thing. Thanks for support!

Likes For Nubra:
Old 12-26-19, 09:49 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by norcalmike
Heck ya I want to see a build thread
OK Norcalmike,
Will be a pretty limited rebuild, but will be happy to oblige, as soon as I can get to it.

Old 01-12-20, 11:32 PM
Nubra 

Photos of Santa Cruz, as requested! Wilder on New Years day, beach full of gulls, pelicans, egrets. Waves along the coast.

Wilder Ranch

Birds on Wilder Beach

Old 01-24-20, 04:04 PM
Nubra 

Low Cost Build of Peugot

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Past experience and logic would dictate I tell you to throw it back but I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and tell you to go for it but do it as low buck as possible and just make it functional. Why not? It's all there. Some white vinegar, WD-40 and #0000 steel wool will clean up most of the rust. Once the rust on the frame is removed or at least neutralized get some Rustoleum clear enamel and give it a couple of coats to protect the frame from further corrosion. You'll be amazed how much better even the old paint and decals will look with the clearcoat. In fact I'd give everything else the clearcoat treatment too once it's cleaned up. Watch the classifieds and curb for parts bikes or check out bike co-ops if there are any close by for things like tubes and tires. I'm always amazed at what bikes and bike stuff people throw out to the curb.

Yeah, go for it! It will be a great learning experience. I was given one nearly as bad I was going to junk but now I'm having second thoughts....... I may do what I just suggested to this one just because I can.

Originally Posted by curbtender
I'm pretty sure if the OP decides to restore this bike he'll get everyone's support. The negative remarks are from the wisdom acquired by those who went this route.

Originally Posted by Wildwood
Nubra, please include lots of pics of Santa Cruz with shots of the Peugeot.

At times i really miss that place, esp the beginning of a Seattle winter season.

edit: oh yeah, what to do with the bike? Don't rehab it too much. It is, after all, a SantaCruzin street & beach bike, likely inclined toward relapse.

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
That's the spirit! Don't listen to these nattering nabobs of negativism, @Nubra. I don't see anything there I'd toss, apart from the broken FD, rusted out handlebars and those crappy steel rims. Ten or fifteen hours of your time, a couple hundred bucks in parts, and you've got a decent riding bike you could sell for a good 80 bucks or so, It would be an education.

You can learn a lot with a project like that. I know when i first started messing with these old bikes i would be excited to pull that out of the weeds. Get at her and make her ride again!

Hello all,
Refurbish has cost me $22 in cleaning supplies, that includes Evapo-rust, appliance touch up Enamel by Rustoleum, couple of steel brushes as well as beer money for some LBS guys remove the Maillard freewheel. Tires, tubes and wheel liners intact. They looked pretty good.

Wrapped frame in rags soaked with Evaporust and wrapped with plastic wrap. Used syringe with blunt needle to puncture wrap to keep rags wet for couple of days. Derusted most of the worse rust down to bare metal. No damage to paint. Note: crank has yet to be soaked in Evaporust.

Touched up bare metal with Rustoleum Appliance white paint. One bottle, $2.95. Just to slow down return of rust. Not pretty, but functional.

Loosened bottom bracket and dripped tenacious oil in to both sides of spindle. Adjusted to no play, smooth. Decided not to attempt pin removal.

Evaporust chain, pedals, chainguard, front derailleur. 8-10 hour soaking. Rinse with water. Will not rebuild pedals, but used tenacious oil dripped in after removing cap. Adjustment is tight on pedals. Chain is excellent, no stretch.

Bare metal under rusted chrome on locknut for stem. All other pieces cleaned up well. 12 hour soak.

Likes For Nubra:
Old 01-24-20, 04:20 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Great start there Nubra , you're on the way now with the clean up and refurb on that Pug mixte. I have to agree with the others about the front and the rear derailleurs, I owned both on my first "10-speed" and Sears-Roebuck/Puch, back in '71, they lasted about a week before they broke. Kurt's suggestion about a Campy Valentino FD is spot on if you want the same design that will shift reasonably well and had up too, had one on my '72 Bottecchia Special and it performed admirably with no hassles at all.

Keep on posting the build [reports and pics please, its whaat most of us live for here.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 01-24-20, 04:30 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26243 Post(s)
Liked 10,227 Times in 7,097 Posts
Originally Posted by Nubra
Functional or not, it is the first time I have seen a piston design.
...it was a thing for a while. Here's an interesting one from the 1950's. By a couple of years later, it was cable actuated, like the rear.

Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 01-24-20, 05:23 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3874 Post(s)
Liked 4,779 Times in 2,204 Posts
Nice pics of the Coast - with Sun! Thanks.

And super work on the frame and components.
Old 01-25-20, 02:08 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
Looking good!
Old 01-25-20, 04:33 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
I got a Mercier from someone that had been riding around for quite some time with the FD bound up with electrical tape! Shifted like it was supposed to! I might have sold it that way, too!
Likes For billnuke1:
Old 01-31-20, 12:15 AM
Nubra 

I'm pretty sure if the OP decides to restore this bike he'll get everyone's support. The negative remarks are from the wisdom acquired by those who went this route.
Thanks for the support and the wisdom.

I thought this site was about love for old bikes, seems some folks think it is all about making money with old bikes.

I do love OLD bikes!

Originally Posted by BFisher
Sometimes I'm surprised by responses. If anything, as was stated by garryg, this is a learning project, and a good one.

This can be done cheaply, and still come out decent. It'll just cost time.

Build a bike. Save the bottom bracket, stem and headset if they are still usable. Crankset looks fine from here.

That would make a nice errand bike.
It IS now a nice errand bike!

Originally Posted by Lascauxcaveman
Ten or fifteen hours of your time, a couple hundred bucks in parts, and you've got a decent riding bike you could sell for a good 80 bucks or so, It would be an education.
Cost was around $33. You were spot on, about 15 hours, including online time.

95% complete. Could use a better RD, and a saddle, but rides OK. Only thing new are cables, housing and bearing in the headset and wheels.

Rebuilt these shifters and they work great. Just cleaned them up and used silicon grease to keep from degrading the old plastic.

Derusted with evaporust, then touched up the bare metal with Rustoleum appliance paint. Lots of splotches, but will slow down the rust return.

Handlebars are rust pitted but used "Quick-Glow" on them after evaporust. Some bald patches on left upper side, but steers fine even with rusty bars.

Spoke guard cleaned up really nice.

Pedals cleaned up nice too.

Likes For Nubra:
Old 01-31-20, 01:34 AM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by Murray Missile
Past experience and logic would dictate I tell you to throw it back but I'm going to go against conventional wisdom and tell you to go for it but do it as low buck as possible and just make it functional. Why not? It's all there. Some white vinegar, WD-40 and #0000 steel wool will clean up most of the rust. Once the rust on the frame is removed or at least neutralized get some Rustoleum clear enamel and give it a couple of coats to protect the frame from further corrosion. You'll be amazed how much better even the old paint and decals will look with the clearcoat. In fact I'd give everything else the clearcoat treatment too once it's cleaned up. Watch the classifieds and curb for parts bikes or check out bike co-ops if there are any close by for things like tubes and tires. I'm always amazed at what bikes and bike stuff people throw out to the curb.

Yeah, go for it! It will be a great learning experience. I was given one nearly as bad I was going to junk but now I'm having second thoughts....... I may do what I just suggested to this one just because I can.
HI Murray,
Just an FYI, I have pretty much completed the rebuild. It was pretty cheap, about $33.

Likes For Nubra:
Old 01-31-20, 05:17 AM
BFisher

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 767 Post(s)
Liked 1,897 Times in 889 Posts
That's cool.

Thanks for the follow-up.
Likes For BFisher:
Old 01-31-20, 05:01 PM
Murray Missile 

Bikes: More than there were awhile ago.

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 620 Post(s)
Liked 1,205 Times in 575 Posts
HI Murray,
Just an FYI, I have pretty much completed the rebuild. It was pretty cheap, about $33.
You did a great job too!
Old 01-31-20, 06:00 PM
Nubra 

Hey! What is the point of the fence sitter? Hmmm just wondering. Rebuild is done. Check it out.

Likes For Nubra:
Old 01-31-20, 06:11 PM
cudak888 
www.theheadbadge.com

Bikes: https://www.theheadbadge.com

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 2401 Post(s)
Liked 4,350 Times in 2,075 Posts
Nice job. One less bike in a landfill with a chance to be useful again - and it looks very good too.

Looks like it's a great candidate for some fenders...

-Kurt

Likes For cudak888:
Old 01-31-20, 06:42 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1589 Post(s)
Liked 2,486 Times in 1,188 Posts
Hey! What is the point of the fence sitter? Hmmm just wondering. Rebuild is done. Check it out.
Poking a little at riva. You did a good job without going overboard.
Likes For curbtender:
Old 02-01-20, 02:04 PM
ryansu

Bikes: 2009 Handsome Devil, 1987 Trek 520 Cirrus, 1978 Motobecane Grand Touring, 1987 Nishiki Cresta GT, 1989 Specialized Allez Former bikes; 1986 Miyata Trail Runner, 1979 Miyata 912, 2011 VO Rando, 1999 Cannondale R800, 1986 Schwinn Passage

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 796 Post(s)
Liked 522 Times in 367 Posts
From decaying in the weeds to functional rideable bike derusted touch up and built back up nice townie bike. Chaepeau Nubra !

I have used oxyalic acid and naval jelly but based on your results I will have to give evaporust a try.
Likes For ryansu:
Old 02-05-20, 04:29 PM
Nubra 

Originally Posted by ryansu
based on your results I will have to give evaporust a try.
The Evaporust is a real game changer. Saw it in a comparison of rust removers on Youtube and gave it a try. It is non toxic. You can stick your hand in it and it is non petroleum based water soluble. Especial good for small parts, requires some innovation to use on larger objects.

Old 02-06-20, 01:09 PM
Salamandrine 

Bikes: 78 Masi Criterium, 68 PX10, 2016 Mercian King of Mercia, Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Mentioned: 120 Post(s)
Quoted: 2317 Post(s)
Liked 597 Times in 430 Posts
Nice job! I admire that you went ahead and fixed it up, despite the discouragement. To my mind, fixing up old bikes most people don't appreciate is always a good thing.

Simplex front derailleurs worked perfectly well BITD, if they were properly set up and adjusted. Most were not. The acetal resin does eventually degrade and most will crack eventually - but remember they are many decades old now. FWIW I don't recall seeing any broken ones until sometime in the 90s.
Likes For Salamandrine: