Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Scored a bike for free!!!

Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Old 11-05-19, 12:41 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 140 Post(s)
Liked 139 Times in 90 Posts

It's a piece of junk I'm sure. But it might help me get started doing more tricks. Over using my cruiser. I found it in a pile of junk while doing my ride last night. Someone put some work into it cuz it's hand painted. Everything actually works. The tubes pump up and have held air so far.

I hopped on it and I manueled for the first time for a moment and I'm pretty sure the bunny hop I did was higher than any of the ones I've done on my cruiser.

It might be kind of dumb to stick money into it though. The top tube is 18". I'm sure it was meant for a kid. The chainstays are 14.5". The stand over height is 10" and the ground clearance (forget the term) is 11.75". The bars are only 24" wide.

One thing hit me though. This summer I went and looked at a BMX style bike for 20 bucks at a garage sale on FB. And I measured the rims and it was close to 16" so I assumed it wasn't a 20" bike. LOL. I'm kicking myself now because although it might have been a cheaper one, it was mint for 20 bucks and I liked the way it looked. Live and learn. For some reason in my mind I was thinking the OD of the rim would be 20". And duh, I didn't look at the tires. I looked at this one and saw the tires said 20 x 2.125 and got excited. And then I measured the rims and learned that I passed up on a good bike earlier this year. LOL. Ugh.

The one thing that I think I should probably change is the tires, the crank set, and the bars. The crank is only 5-3/4" long. I mean what is that? 160mm???? Definitely meant for a kid. But then I wonder what diameter the crank shaft is.... I forget if that is the right name for it too.....

Not sure if this would help anyone identify the frame, but it's marked PP-1197614

third pic is the one I passed up for 20 bucks cuz I didn't know better about the wheel size. LOL. cry cry cry....

Ugh, having problems uploading photos... sorry.
Old 11-05-19, 04:18 PM
3S1M

Bikes: Schwinn Del Mar, Schwinn Sanctuary, Schwinn Hurricane, Murray Actra, Eastern Shovelhead

I cleaned it up a bit and went for a short jaunt. I even stopped by a KMart that is going out of business by us today after taking my daughter to work and bought some tires. 24.97 for two of them. Seemed like a good deal. Schwinn brand. 20 x 2.125 with some street tread.

Old 11-06-19, 04:25 PM
Kungfoobike
Pedal2theshin

Bikes: Retrotech 29

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Free is always nice.
Old 11-07-19, 10:38 AM
3S1M

It has the potential to at least get me started learning some tricks. But it is not ideal for a serious bmx'er. Stuff will probably break with much use. But it's free. And I don't have the cash for a good one yet. We had to chop down all of our trees and the 300 bucks I had in my fun money account is getting used for that. Grrrrrr...... Plus I want a motorcycle to work on too. LOL. So... we'll see what I can accomplish with this and it will give me something to fix up over the winter.

I'm going to need a new crankset. Well, hopefully new used for cheap. LOL.
Likes For 3S1M:
Old 11-08-19, 11:44 AM
3S1M

Either of you two know of a good forum talking about freestyling bikes and tricks? I've searched and not sure if there is a good one....
Old 11-14-19, 04:42 PM
Chris654

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Wow Nice
Old 11-16-19, 11:59 AM
3S1M

Thanks Chris. You can't tell by the pics but it was hand painted with house paint for your walls and I've been sanding the frame. LOL. It wasn't that good of a job either. I'm pretty sure those tires were painted with the same paint too LOL But it's been fun. I just need to locate a bit longer, adult sized cranks..... Which I had a line on some on FB but I haven't heard back from the guy yet to go meet him.