Notices
Manufacturer, Retailer, Survey and Consumer Feedback As a manufacturer or retailer, do you want opinions and feedback on your products or services? Members, do you have an open letter to publish? Here's a place for both sides of the industry to communicate. Also, surveys and Student Data Colllection projects go in here.

Panaracer sucks

Old 11-23-19, 09:21 PM
francis1

Bikes: All early 80s, BRC Roadmaster 707, Bianchi Bici, Apollo, couple Nishikis

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Panaracer sucks

First, I am a new member. Thanks for letting me join. I thought it important to get the word out about a very unsatisfactory experience I had with the Panaracer company over one of their tires that I purchased and proved to be defective in service.
Panaracer Pasela tire with 3 months light usage blew out sidewall just above the bead line while sitting overnight in my garage. Tire inflation was correct & calibrated at 15 psi below rec. maximum. I contacted Panaracer, they asked for pics which I sent. They then said their engineers in Japan had looked at the pics and saw evidence of rubbing on the sidewall, and heavy wear. These are complete fabrications. I look after my bikes, keep logs, etc. I have showed the tire to other experienced cyclists and they agree there is NO evidence of sidewall wear.
So a very disappointing experience with a company that professes stellar customer service and products. I'm afraid that is all a sham
I'd post the photos here, but apparently I have to make ten posts before photos allowed.
(Later) Here are photos. I'm a retired industrial mechanic & know how to look after machines. There is no rubbing evident

Last edited by francis1; 03-27-22 at 11:24 AM. Reason: improve accuracy
Old 11-24-19, 07:11 AM
shelbyfv
Expired Member

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 3638 Post(s)
Liked 5,316 Times in 2,701 Posts
That's too bad. However, from their perspective, why would a faulty tire wait 3 months to blow out? I've been happy enough with several of their Gravelkings, but obviously a different tire. Hope you find something that suits you!
Old 11-24-19, 07:14 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2429 Post(s)
Liked 2,889 Times in 1,646 Posts
Adjust your brake pad downward so that it no longer abrades the tire sidewall or you'll be back complaining that another tire company sucks.
Old 11-24-19, 07:27 AM
ridingfool

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Adjust your brake pad downward so that it no longer abrades the tire sidewall or you'll be back complaining that another tire company sucks.
Might not be the case can’t say anything about that tire but had a conti 4000 tire blow it’s sidewall. After only about 500 miles didn’t give up on the brand tho have had many tires of the same brand last thousand of miles since that one blew .would not think twice to buy in the future the same tire but probably going to need to buy the 5000 haven’t tried that one yet
Likes For ridingfool:
Old 03-31-20, 01:44 PM
Rje58

Bikes: 2011 Fuji Absolute 3.0 -- 1997 Trek 830 (modified to hybrid)

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 548 Times in 170 Posts
Sorry to hear of bad experiences with Panaracer tires. I put Panaracer Tour tires on my Fuji Absolute over 1,400 miles ago, front and rear, and no problems so far. They still look good, not too much tread wear. I ride mostly on the street, with occasional gravel, greenway, MUP, packed earth use.
Old 03-31-20, 03:33 PM
Ferrouscious 
Some Weirdo

Bikes: '86 Schwinn Prelude, '91 Scott Sawtooth, '73 Raleigh "Grand 3"

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by francis1
First, I am a new member. Thanks for letting me join. I thought it important to get the word out about a very unsatisfactory experience I had with the Panaracer company over one of their tires that I purchased and proved to be defective in service.
Panaracer Pasela tire with 3 months light usage blew out sidewall just above the bead line while sitting overnight in my garage. Tire inflation was correct & calibrated at 15 psi below rec. maximum. I contacted Panaracer, they asked for pics which I sent. They then said their engineers in Japan had looked at the pics and saw evidence of rubbing on the sidewall, and heavy wear. These are complete fabrications. I look after my bikes, keep logs, etc. I have showed the tire to other experienced cyclists and they agree there is NO evidence of sidewall wear.
So a very disappointing experience with a company that professes stellar customer service and products. I'm afraid that is all a sham
I'd post the photos here, but apparently I have to make ten posts before photos allowed.
Pics or it didn't happen.
Old 03-31-20, 03:37 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
He likely won't ever reply. Just another one post complainer.
Old 03-31-20, 04:42 PM
francis1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I said in my post that as a new member, I can't upload photos until ten posts have been made. Have photos and tire in question. Happy to email photos
Old 03-31-20, 05:08 PM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
Welcome to Bike Forums. It's unfortunate that you have had this tire issue, but now that you've found us, why not look around, respond to a few posts, introduce yourself in the Introductions forum ... and soon you will have the necessary 10 posts. I'd certainly like to see your pictures. Panaracer is one of my favorite tires that have always worked well for me. There is always the possibility that you got a bad one.
Old 03-31-20, 05:39 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3059 Post(s)
Liked 6,379 Times in 3,692 Posts
Well, well. Welcome back. Maybe you can tell us a bit about yourself. What kind of bike you ride? Where you're from? What's your cycling history?
Old 03-31-20, 06:36 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26250 Post(s)
Liked 10,232 Times in 7,101 Posts
....has anyone said, "Lighten up, Francis," yet ?
Likes For 3alarmer:
Old 04-05-20, 06:42 PM
francis1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
That's a good idea. I'm 68, in Vancouver BC. Hadn't rode a bike since a kid, then I "inherited" an old Apollo from my daughter & found what fun it was. So now I have a 25" Apollo 10 sp, A BRC 707 Roadmaster, & a few other 10 & 12 sp. Am definitely old school, follow the K.I.S.S. philosophy, no gadgets or bells & whistles thanks. Ride all over town on errands & shopping. Beats driving & transit for sure. Deliver Meals on Wheels on bike too. Rain or shine. Been doored a couple of times, but keep going for that feeling of freedom. Cheers.
Old 03-25-22, 01:28 PM
francis1

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

Panaracer claimed they could see evidence of brake rub on the sidewall. Here are pics. No evidence showing. I'm a retired industrial mechanic, I know how to look after machines.

Last edited by francis1; 03-27-22 at 11:27 AM. Reason: improve accuracy