Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cervelo S3 2020

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cervelo S3 2020

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-20, 06:07 PM
Cemmac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cervelo S3 2020

Hi,

I'm thinkig about Cervelo S3 2020 Rim brake bike. How much would that bike weight with some carbon 42-48mm weells. Does anyone have 2019 and tell me what is the position of rider for long rides - neck hurting, or it's cool?
I just wish an aero bike, my preference is acctually climber but the beauty of aero look.
Old 01-24-20, 07:43 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
The position on the bike will depend on the fit you get. Why don't you measure your current setup and see if an S3 can accommodate what works for you? Someone else's experience with fit on a bike will be completely irrelevant for you.
Likes For Dan333SP:
Old 01-24-20, 07:54 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Originally Posted by Cemmac
Hi,

I'm thinkig about Cervelo S3 2020 Rim brake bike. How much would that bike weight with some carbon 42-48mm weells. Does anyone have 2019 and tell me what is the position of rider for long rides - neck hurting, or it's cool?
I just wish an aero bike, my preference is acctually climber but the beauty of aero look.
Most likely in the 16-lbs range. This is assuming it will come with first or second tier drivetrain like Dura Ace or Ultegra, some decent carbon wheels, and fairly lightweight cockpit.
Old 01-24-20, 09:00 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan333SP
The position on the bike will depend on the fit you get. Why don't you measure your current setup and see if an S3 can accommodate what works for you? Someone else's experience with fit on a bike will be completely irrelevant for you.
Currently i have 2013 Cube Agree Pro, some more starter classic road bike. This bike was marked with review cons: "Sluggish when riding out of the saddle".

I don't know how aero is capable to riding out of saddle, if you think that it has longer top tube and more lying position...it should be awkward. Or am i wrong? Off course you can always buy smaller frame, but this is not solution
Old 01-24-20, 09:02 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Most likely in the 16-lbs range. This is assuming it will come with first or second tier drivetrain like Dura Ace or Ultegra, some decent carbon wheels, and fairly lightweight cockpit.
16lbs is very lightweight. my buget go to near Ultegra Di2 not going far than 5k$ for bike...
Old 01-24-20, 12:24 PM
melikebikey35

Bikes: Cervelo R5 disc - Limited, Cervelo Aspero

Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 129 Times in 65 Posts
Currently i have 2013 Cube Agree Pro, some more starter classic road bike. This bike was marked with review cons: "Sluggish when riding out of the saddle".

I don't know how aero is capable to riding out of saddle, if you think that it has longer top tube and more lying position...it should be awkward. Or am i wrong? Off course you can always buy smaller frame, but this is not solution
Compare the geometry charts of the two bikes...thats the best way of knowing. However, the S3 has very relaxed geometry (high stack, short reach) for an aero bike. Here is the geometry chart: https://www.cervelo.com/en/s3
Only you can decide if it will fit. But please don't buy an aero bike, then add 20mm+ of spacers. That defeats the whole purpose of an aero bike.

Weight wise, you're definitely not going to be anywhere near 16 lbs. You'll be looking more at 18.5+ lbs, depending on the wheels you go with. Aero bikes are heavy.
Old 01-24-20, 03:41 PM
ingo

Bikes: Cervelo S3, Ridley Helium, Cannondale Topstone Carbon, Giant Trance

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 24 Posts
this is a 2017 and the 2020 bike is a lighter frame and handlebar. 16.07 lbs (7296g) as shown, nothing special done to it and these wheels are heavy. Stiff neck has no relation to aero frame.
​​​​​​
Old 01-25-20, 02:21 PM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by melikebikey35
Compare the geometry charts of the two bikes...thats the best way of knowing. However, the S3 has very relaxed geometry (high stack, short reach) for an aero bike. Here is the geometry chart:
Only you can decide if it will fit. But please don't buy an aero bike, then add 20mm+ of spacers. That defeats the whole purpose of an aero bike.

Weight wise, you're definitely not going to be anywhere near 16 lbs. You'll be looking more at 18.5+ lbs, depending on the wheels you go with. Aero bikes are heavy.
Thanks for the point. I'll check.
Old 01-25-20, 02:27 PM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
this is a 2017 and the 2020 bike is a lighter frame and handlebar. 16.07 lbs (7296g) as shown, nothing special done to it and these wheels are heavy. Stiff neck has no relation to aero frame.
​​​​​​
This bike is astonishing beautiful. I'll rather have 2017 look like new 2020 red/black. What weight matters, my local dealer told me that i'll never get under 17.6lbs, i'mean complete bike with wheels included...

Canyon aeroroad CF SL 8.0 Di2 - has 62mm DT Swiss and weights 7.30kg (i couldn't post link)
Old 01-25-20, 02:28 PM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ingo
​​​​​​
This bike is astonishing beautiful. I'll rather have 2017 look like new 2020 red/black. What weight matters, my local dealer told me that i'll never get under 17.6lbs, i'mean complete bike with wheels included...

Canyon aeroroad CF SL 8.0 Di2 - has 62mm DT Swiss and weights 16.09lbs (7,30kg) (i couldn't post link)
Old 01-27-20, 02:11 PM
washed up

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 15 Posts

Multiple centuries on this bike and no neck or back issues that you wouldn't ordinarily get on 100 mile rides. Absolutely love the bike.
Old 01-27-20, 02:39 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Bikes: S1, R2, P2

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 9334 Post(s)
Liked 3,679 Times in 2,026 Posts
Originally Posted by washed up

Multiple centuries on this bike and no neck or back issues that you wouldn't ordinarily get on 100 mile rides. Absolutely love the bike.
That looks so much like last year's SystemSix I thought it was a joke.
Old 01-27-20, 03:16 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 18883 Post(s)
Liked 10,646 Times in 6,054 Posts
I don't especially like the way any of the S line looks. Cervelo usually goes with awful paint.

I had a Soloist for a few years, it was a precursor to the S bikes. That thing was fast! Mine was aluminum (yes Cervelo used to make metal bikes) and had crappy wheels. It was heavy, for a race bike. At the time I also had a modern R3. I enjoyed riding the R3 more, but I could sprint faster on the Soloist. Meaning my best times on sprint segments were all from the Soloist.

The newer S series bikes have only gotten better.
Old 01-27-20, 03:20 PM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
I don't especially like the way any of the S line looks. Cervelo usually goes with awful paint.

I had a Soloist for a few years, it was a precursor to the S bikes. That thing was fast! Mine was aluminum (yes Cervelo used to make metal bikes) and had crappy wheels. It was heavy, for a race bike. At the time I also had a modern R3. I enjoyed riding the R3 more, but I could sprint faster on the Soloist. Meaning my best times on sprint segments were all from the Soloist.

The newer S series bikes have only gotten better.
I used to have an S1, which was a twin to yours. It was the last year they made it, actually. Naked, with good wheels, it was like cheating. Once it has bottles and a saddle bag, it doesn't feel any faster than my R2.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-27-20, 03:31 PM
Seattle Forrest

It definitely wasn't as comfortable (for me) to ride as my R3. But it was so much better than the CX bike I sold to fund the purchase and replaced it with, that I never complained about ride quality.

Honestly ride quality is more than just "how bumpy does crappy pavement feel." For me, the way a bike handles, how it takes a corner, how much control you feel you have over it, is more important than "comfort." Cervelos handle the way I expect a bike to, the way I feel like a bike should handle. They've got me for life, or until they stop making bikes like that.
Old 01-27-20, 03:32 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
My R5 is 17.5 pounds with 78mm Enve 7.8's, and a "heavy" Redshift dual position aluminum seat post, saddle mounted dual bottle cages, down/seat tube bottle cages, pedals, Ultegra mechanicals, butyl tubes, etc...Heck, even with aerobars it's 18.4 pounds.

Dunno what all the "You'll never get under xx pounds" talk is about. You could strip all that stuff off, get a light non-aero tubular wheelset, small cassette, with an Extralight crank, maybe some egg-beaters & 16 pounds would be totally doable...not sure if you'd be faster though after eschewing all the aero.

Last edited by base2; 01-27-20 at 03:38 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-27-20, 03:38 PM
Seattle Forrest

Photos please.

I had an R3 SL, retired it after being hit by a car. Always wanted an R5.
Old 01-27-20, 03:46 PM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest
Photos please.

I had an R3 SL, retired it after being hit by a car. Always wanted an R5.
20200113_160423 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Edit: I just re-cabled it yesterday with red Jagwire compressionless kevlar reinforced housing & red bar tape...'cause red is faster. But honestly, red just looks better.

The seatpost flip-flops from TT to road positions on the fly. So spending 30 or 40 minutes up on the bars is really, IMO, NBD. Same power & HR in both positions. The Rotor Qarbon ring is indexed to position 4, since this photo, FWIW.

Last edited by base2; 01-27-20 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For base2:
Old 01-28-20, 08:21 AM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Hi,

You should also consider a race geometry bike with aero wheels and aero cockpit that gives you a similar look. I just built a Cervelo R5 disk (rim brake is available) with such components.
Old 01-28-20, 08:28 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How is the climbing with that bike? More of seated or you can naturally stand up from saddle and push? Tnx all
Old 01-28-20, 10:10 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Canyon aeroroad CF SL 8.0 Di2 - has 62mm DT Swiss and weights 16.09lbs (7,30kg) (i couldn't post link)
I'm probably seeming like a Cervelo fan boy here but, it's worth remembering that published weight numbers are often based on Fantasyland lolly-pops & rainbows.

The difference between a size 48 frameset and the size 58 or 61 could be significant.
What about the difference between the 11-23(5) cassette the bike comes with and the 11-32 105 cassette you ride with? It isn't trivial.
Nor is the published weight sans pedals, v/s deciding you'd like to ride with pedals.
Or what about the published weight with ultralight 67 gram tubes with race rubber compared to 100 gram tubes & GP5000 or Gatorskins (or whatever) tires you'll eventually decide to get 'cause you got tired of flats. Do we even know what they baselined off of?
Even 2 middling bottle cages can be a quarter pound...

What I mean to say is apples-to-apples, published weight is more often than not a marketing gimmick designed to stack the deck in the manufacturers favor.

What you'll no doubt notice is all the posts here:
A) Favor the Cervelo's for long distance. (speed & comfort)
B) We've owned them for some time, & are very pleased with them.
C) We are all espousing aero over published weight
D) Because they are so good, we all feel they are worthy of further investment. (Enve's, clip-on TT bars, power meters, Q-rings, etc...)

I weigh 200 pounds. A 1 pound difference in actual bike as ridden weight (18.5 with TT bars) weight is 0.5% of my weight & even less so (0.4%) of the total. In short, at this level, published weight is meaningless & actual weight pales compared to aero fit.

I for one like the R5's longer wheel base v/s the S3. It makes for better rides up & faster, more stable rides down mountain passes.
The Cervélo excels.
You will not be disappointed.

Last edited by base2; 01-28-20 at 10:19 AM.
Old 01-28-20, 10:33 AM
Bah Humbug
serious cyclist

And don't forget the weight difference of the paint schemes.
Likes For Bah Humbug:
Old 01-28-20, 10:46 AM
Cemmac

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do we have any comparison how quicker the same guy climb 7miles of 11% (e.g. Zoncolan Italy) with R5 compare to S3? Same guy, same watts...this could be normal like 2minutes less or more?
Old 01-28-20, 11:54 AM
Seattle Forrest

Originally Posted by base2
20200113_160423 by Richard Mozzarella, on Flickr
Edit: I just re-cabled it yesterday with red Jagwire compressionless kevlar reinforced housing & red bar tape...'cause red is faster. But honestly, red just looks better.

The seatpost flip-flops from TT to road positions on the fly. So spending 30 or 40 minutes up on the bars is really, IMO, NBD. Same power & HR in both positions. The Rotor Qarbon ring is indexed to position 4, since this photo, FWIW.
Cervelo usually goes with terrible paint jobs but that one is hot! Nice bike! I wouldn't have thought to use an R5 for time trials, but I bet it works well.
Old 01-28-20, 12:06 PM
Seattle Forrest

Since this thread is turning into a Cervelo love fest.

C3, Enve 4.5 ARs, Vector 2 pedals. Enve bars and stem too, the bars came with the wheels, and they let me trade the stem that came with the bike when I bought it. 18 pounds on the nose. This is at about 7,000 feet, I started around 3k.

Here it is again in its natural habitat!

Likes For Seattle Forrest:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.