Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > BMX
Reload this Page >

Redline Asset for street BMX?

Search
Notices
BMX Dirt, vert, flatland or street? Drop in the BMX forum to talk to other 20" riders around the world. What is the best BMX bicycle for you? Learn all about it here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-20, 02:58 PM
GxBMX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello and thank you for having me.

I could use some expert advice, please. This is my first BMX as I could never afford one as a kid. I've been reading threads here about frame material and from what I gather, full chromoly is the best. However, I don't plan to do anything crazy as a weightlifting injury resulted in spinal fusion surgery. Small jumps and hopping over curbs is all my body can tolerate. Would this bike be good for me?

Thank you for your time.
Old 03-10-20, 01:34 PM
Badzilla

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Aluminum is the best.
Old 03-11-20, 07:41 AM
acir71

Bikes: Mongoose Maurice FS 2011 fixed gear, custom 2017 Haro Master Flatland bmx, Contrast FL475 mid school flatland bmx

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I believe that spec is made for the kind of riding you mentioned. Hops, curbs, 180's I think it can handle. If you are dialled they'll even survive trails and parks; but if you still need to perfect that land, be wary of the frame n fork. You may notice frame cracks, but the steerer tube is a diff. story. I found out the hard way! Get a good fork as you progress, they're worth it. And always check the crank bolts; loose bolts always ruins the 48spline types. Too loose here, or too tight there, always ruins it.
Old 03-11-20, 09:22 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 842 Times in 587 Posts
Originally Posted by Badzilla
Aluminum is the best.
Chromoly is better than aluminum when it comes to strength. Steel will bend, aluminum break. The higher end BMX bikes use chromoly steel because they're tougher.
Old 03-11-20, 06:18 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Chromoly is better than aluminum when it comes to strength. Steel will bend, aluminum break. The higher end BMX bikes use chromoly steel because they're tougher.
Steel bikes are also heavier. The more likely reason is cost. The 7000 series of aluminum is strong as steel at half the weight, much better than 6061, but it probably is prohibitively expensive for this application.

I was just giving the poster some attention when I said "aluminum is best". It's best for me because it's light and I don't do tricks. I like the fact it doesn't rust, too.
Old 03-11-20, 07:18 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Steel bikes are also heavier. The more likely reason is cost. The 7000 series of aluminum is strong as steel at half the weight, much better than 6061, but it probably is prohibitively expensive for this application.

I was just giving the poster some attention when I said "aluminum is best". It's best for me because it's light and I don't do tricks. I like the fact it doesn't rust, too.
Yes, steel is slightly heavier, and aluminum can possess the same strength, it's also less reliable, and breaks instead of bending. The OP is looking for a strong, cromoly framed BMX to do some basic tricks and stuff. It's perfect for the op's needs. There is no "best". I have bikes with aluminum and chromo steel frames. I've had my aluminum frame have a crack, and I was forced to dispose of it. The OP is just looking for confirmation that their choice is a good one.
Old 03-11-20, 11:02 PM
Badzilla

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by tds101
Yes, steel is slightly heavier, and aluminum can possess the same strength, it's also less reliable, and breaks instead of bending.
Bull. Aluminum is strong, extremely reliable, and lightweight, that's why it's used extensively in aviation and even aerospace.

The Apollo Command Model was made of an aluminum honeycomb-sandwich bonded between sheets of aluminum alloy.

Lockheed Martin has chosen an aluminum-lithium alloy for the primary structures of NASA’s new Orion spacecraft.

Ever since the launch of Sputnik a half-century ago, aluminum has been the material of choice for space structures of all types. Chosen for its light weight and its ability to withstand the stresses that occur during launch and operation in space, aluminum has been used on Apollo spacecraft, the Skylab, the space shuttles and the International Space Station. Aluminum alloys consistently exceed other metals in such areas as mechanical stability, dampening, thermal management and reduced weight.

The problem is cost. Cromoly is cheap compared to good aluminum. I can't even find 7075 aluminum tubes from retail outlets online (it can be ordered if you can afford a minimum quantity). Some 2024 is available retail, it's stronger than 6061 but not strong as 7075.
Old 03-12-20, 06:38 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bull. Aluminum is strong, extremely reliable, and lightweight, that's why it's used extensively in aviation and even aerospace.

The Apollo Command Model was made of an aluminum honeycomb-sandwich bonded between sheets of aluminum alloy.

Lockheed Martin has chosen an aluminum-lithium alloy for the primary structures of NASA’s new Orion spacecraft.

Ever since the launch of Sputnik a half-century ago, aluminum has been the material of choice for space structures of all types. Chosen for its light weight and its ability to withstand the stresses that occur during launch and operation in space, aluminum has been used on Apollo spacecraft, the Skylab, the space shuttles and the International Space Station. Aluminum alloys consistently exceed other metals in such areas as mechanical stability, dampening, thermal management and reduced weight.

The problem is cost. Cromoly is cheap compared to good aluminum. I can't even find 7075 aluminum tubes from retail outlets online (it can be ordered if you can afford a minimum quantity). Some 2024 is available retail, it's stronger than 6061 but not strong as 7075.
And this all means that cromoly is great for the op's needs. 6061 is easier to break, 7005 (which I had, and it cracked and failed, and wasn't able to be repaired) is better, but not common. All the other aluminum alloys mentioned still don't change the fact you made a blanket statement, and one size doesn't fit all. Cromoly is fine for the op's needs.