Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Trouble finding wide SPD cycling shoes

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Old 05-18-20, 06:25 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts

So I am looking for a pair of cycling shoes that will accept SPD cleats and have a fairly wide toe box.

I am having trouble finding anything on amazon... it seems like the available sizes of almost everything are extremely limited (I am size 10.5/11 US).

I did buy a pair of Bontrager SSR Trek EU size 44, and they are way too tight around the toe box (while also slightly loose in the heel).

Any ideas for a shoe that accepts SPD cleats, has some toe space, and isn’t an insane spiky mtb monster? (They will be used on my Felt Versa Speed 7 hybrid bike on the road exclusively)

Appreciate any input!
Old 05-18-20, 06:37 PM
Tandem Tom

Bikes: 1992 Serotta Colorado II,Co-Motion Speedster, Giant Escape Hybrid, 1977 Schwinn Super Le Tour

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 453 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 85 Posts
I understand that Lake brand are available in wide sizes. I will be needing some in the near future so this are the ones I am going to look at.
Likes For Tandem Tom:
Old 05-18-20, 06:39 PM
GlennR
On Your Left

Bikes: Trek Emonda SLR, Sram eTap, Zipp 303

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 3004 Post(s)
Liked 2,433 Times in 1,187 Posts
I ave a pair of Bontrager RL shoes in a 44.5 and I normally wear a 10.5 E and thy fit nicely.
Old 05-18-20, 07:48 PM
Hikebikerun

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL5 ; Felt Versa Speed 7

Quoted: 66 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by Tandem Tom
I understand that Lake brand are available in wide sizes. I will be needing some in the near future so this are the ones I am going to look at.
I’m trying to find them online but I’m the Lake website it seems like they are all out of stock or have minimal sizes available.

Is this a function of the corona or is it normally this difficult to find cycling shoes?
Old 05-18-20, 07:50 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 3185 Post(s)
Liked 2,020 Times in 1,158 Posts
Shimano has some models in wide. I wear a 46EEEE and find their shoes work for me. A pair of Lake winter SPD shoes are not as comfortable, YMMV.
Old 05-18-20, 07:52 PM
Steve B.

Bikes: Flyxii FR322, Cannondale Topstone, Miyata City Liner, Specialized Chisel, Specialized Epic Evo

Originally Posted by Hikebikerun
I’m trying to find them online but I’m the Lake website it seems like they are all out of stock or have minimal sizes available.

Is this a function of the corona or is it normally this difficult to find cycling shoes?
Yes it’s the CV affect, bikes and all accessories are selling out or are sold out. Everybody and their uncle has taken up cycling for exercise. The forums reflect that with a lot of new members asking questions,
Old 05-18-20, 07:59 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1628 Post(s)
Liked 1,057 Times in 631 Posts
Originally Posted by Steve B.
Shimano has some models in wide. I wear a 46EEEE and find their shoes work for me. A pair of Lake winter SPD shoes are not as comfortable, YMMV.
I have wide feet, and I just bought a pair of Shimano SPD-type walkable MTB shoes. It looks as though with their newer models, that they have made attempts to accommodate people with wider feet, by having three velco straps and slightly wider toe boxes. They are doing a pretty good job, I'm happy with mine, though I thought they ran slightly small.

For someone with wider feet not able to get Lake brand shoes, I would look on Ebay for something in some other brand (Shimano?) that looks like it might fit. Lots of new open box and discontinued stuff very cheap.

FWIW, a trick that I have used for adjusting the size of cycling shoes is, if they're too small or not wide enough, take out the insole, and you will gain about a full EU size. If they're too big, add a second insole from another pair of shoes, which will take away about one EU size, but you get the extra width of one larger size.

Last edited by Lemond1985; 05-18-20 at 08:07 PM.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-18-20, 08:05 PM
Steve B.

Originally Posted by Lemond1985
I have wide feet, and I just bought a pair of Shimano MTB shoes. It looks as though with their newer models, that have made attempts to accommodate people with wider feet by having three velco straps and slightly wider toe boxes. They are doing a pretty good job, I'm happy with mine.
3 Velcro straps is not new. It’s merely model dependent. I’ve a pair of old mid priced 087 Shimano shoes with 3 straps.
Old 05-18-20, 08:08 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Sidi Mega shoes, made in a real wide width and the only shoe that will fit my feet that I've found. I also wear a 12.5 4E so I need a big shoe.
Old 05-18-20, 08:11 PM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

3 Velcro straps is not new. It’s merely model dependent. I’ve a pair of old mid priced 087 Shimano shoes with 3 straps.
The point is, the newer ones are slightly wider and more stable than the older models I've bought and used. Shimano finally figured out that not every cyclist weighs 140 lbs.
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-18-20, 08:11 PM
Cyclist0108
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 2,331 Times in 1,164 Posts
Shimano and Lake have been mentioned. I second both of those.
Old 05-18-20, 10:46 PM
Bill in VA

Bikes: Current: 2016 Bianchi Volpe; 1973 Peugeot UO-8. Past: 1974 Fuji S-10-S with custom black Imron paint by Stinsman Racing of PA.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 215 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 142 Posts
I take a 11.5-12 Wide Merrell hiking boot or Nike or NB sneakers in 11.5-12EE or EEEE depending on shoe or maker. Both my Shimano SPD Mountain shoe in 47 (low black shoe with small lugs making it look more roadlike) and a Shimano flat bike shoe in 47 without cleats fit perfectly> I have found that for me, Shimano shoes fit very well and consistently at the same size, even for much different models.
Old 05-19-20, 07:14 AM
PoorInRichfield

Bikes: Trek Domane SL7 Disc, Cannondale F29

Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 321 Times in 182 Posts
Welcome to one of my biggest beefs with the cycling industry... second only to helmets that don't fit my long-oval noggin'.

Anyway, I have been in pursuit of the perfect wide cycling shoe for years and so far have mostly found which shoes aren't wide. I think the only cycling shoe company I've ever seen that actually makes some shoes remotely shaped like a human foot is Bont. After that would definitely be Lake... they do cater to cyclists who don't have pencil-shaped feet.

I currently have the Lake MX237's as my SPD shoes. My foot width is a "D" and I my shoes are actually not the wide-width and fit pretty well. The quality is great, but because the shoes are real leather they get really hot (my feet are usually all wet when I'm done riding even when it's not hot out) and the shoes are pretty darn heavy.

I've also ready that Shimano shoes are often wide but their prices are so high that I haven't been able to try them yet.

Be warned that some manufacturers offer "high volume" shoes, like Giro, but that often means the entire shoe is bigger/wider. For people like me that have a wide fore-foot and a narrow heal, high-volume shoes don't work as my heal and mid-foot end-up with too much room in the shoe.

I'm a big Trek/Bontrager fan and their shoes have a great return policy, but I tried several different models of their shoes and they were all way too narrow.
Old 05-19-20, 07:44 AM
commo_soulja

Bikes: are fun to ride

Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 22 Posts
If you're not a lycra clad roadie type, then I'd suggest Five Ten mountain bike shoes. Some are flat pedals only, some are clipless. They all have fairly wide toe boxes and are good for walking around than traditional cycling shoes. I have both clipless and flat shoes from Five Ten. The clipless shoes for trail riding and the flat shoes for bike packing and riding around town. I like both because I can drive/walk with them on instead of having to change out to street shoes if I'm driving to a biking destination.
Likes For commo_soulja:
Old 05-19-20, 09:01 AM
Tacoenthusiast

Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 223 Times in 84 Posts
https://www.biketiresdirect.com/prod...RoC-6kQAvD_BwE

Here ya go!!! Perfect for wide feet and the ventilation is great for summer rides. Pretty easy to walk in too
Old 05-19-20, 09:12 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

What if I'm not into the "Gladiator" look?
Likes For Lemond1985:
Old 05-19-20, 11:31 AM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 648 Post(s)
Liked 291 Times in 215 Posts
Originally Posted by Lemond1985
What if I'm not into the "Gladiator" look?
Then you are SOL (Shoes Off Lemond)
Old 05-19-20, 11:52 AM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 761 Post(s)
Liked 553 Times in 320 Posts
can't find them on the internet, they might not exist
Old 05-19-20, 01:16 PM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by Hikebikerun

You don't have to buy Lake shoes from Lake and in some cases it might actually better not to as some online bike stores will have better return policies. I found https://www.competitivecyclist.com/ to be a good company to buy from. They offer a $7 return shipping label which is nearly as good as free return shipping.
Old 05-19-20, 03:08 PM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 634 Posts
I bought a pair of Shimano cycling shoes that were adv as wide. I need an EE wide really. So I bought them, and sized them 1/2 size bigger than I really need. They seem to work fine.

Shoes too narrow give you pain and hot foot on a longer ride. This is an area that some shoe company could get themselves a really good market if they would make actual wide sizes.
Old 05-20-20, 01:14 PM
vane171

Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 48 Posts
I am in the same position, except my feet are not only wider in front but my right toe joint is somewhat bigger than it should be, like the one on my left foot. It might be from letting my feet freeze repeatedly on cross country skis when I was 20 year old or maybe it is just some deformation that happens.

Also, not being in lycra or too serious biking kind, I am looking for SPD shoes even if I ride road bike. The big spikes put me off, on the other hand the shoes that tone them down sometimes don't look sporting enough. I checked online but only to see what is out there
I would definitely buy only if I can try the shoes on (and doubly so if my feet are not quite standard).

I suppose online shopping is for those who buy their n-th pair of shoes and know their size and maybe even brand. Shoe sizes are only a rough guide as it is (for normal street shoes) and when it comes to cycling shoes, the numbers are likely in a whole different league.
Old 05-22-20, 08:37 AM
asmack

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Pearl Izumi

My wide feet have had success with Pearl Izumi. My current ones are the X-Alp Canyon model. I ordered my normal size 12 (48) and they are perfect.
Old 05-22-20, 08:59 AM
Lemond1985
Sophomore Member

Originally Posted by rydabent
I bought a pair of Shimano cycling shoes that were adv as wide. I need an EE wide really. So I bought them, and sized them 1/2 size bigger than I really need. They seem to work fine.

Shoes too narrow give you pain and hot foot on a longer ride. This is an area that some shoe company could get themselves a really good market if they would make actual wide sizes.
I agree, but shoes that are too wide are just as bad as shoes that are too narrow. Your feet are flopping all over the place in there.

I like your idea of buying a larger size, that's what I wound up doing with a lot of street shoes is buying them slightly too big, in the hopes that they would have some extra width. I think that strategy probably works well, except for the narrowest, most bird-footed brands of cycling shoes, that are made and designed in some obscure country that either knows nothing about cycling, or is heavily-malnourished, or both.
Old 05-22-20, 09:08 AM
PoorInRichfield

Originally Posted by vane171
I am in the same position, except my feet are not only wider in front but my right toe joint is somewhat bigger than it should be, like the one on my left foot. It might be from letting my feet freeze repeatedly on cross country skis when I was 20 year old or maybe it is just some deformation that happens.
It's my opinion that a lifetime of wearing shoes that forces our big and small toes inward (left shoe below) that are partially to thank for toe joint issues. This is definitely a cause of bunions. My big toe joints are similar... both are too large with the right being bigger than the left. It's when I started getting sharp pain in my big toe joint that I made a switch to minimalist shoes... except in cycling, where no such shoe exists.