Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

If a pedestrian runs out in front of you from across the street.....

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-10, 07:49 AM
buttdart

Bikes: trek 4500

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

....and you hit them - who's at fault?

i'm new to road riding and last night i was riding along the beach with friends which is a very popular spot for cyclists around here. i was going around 22-23mph as i approached a beach cross walk. there is a yield sign sign for cars and a few people were waiting on north bound traffic to pass.

as i was a few feet from the cross walk the last car passed and a 6 year old girl darted out from the east side of the street and nearly ran RIGHT in front of me as . i yelled 'watch out!' and scared the heck out of her but did miss her.

i'm extremely cautious of these types of situations and my surroundings. i guess my assumption is that i couldn't believe she would just dart across the street in front of me. then again - this is the general public we're dealing with. where were the parents?

regardless, i'm glad nothing happened but i was also a bit upset at the whole situation as i rode off.

insight?
Old 08-12-10, 07:52 AM
Homebrew01
Super Moderator

Bikes: Old Steelies I made, Old Cannondales

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1174 Post(s)
Liked 935 Times in 618 Posts
Originally Posted by buttdart
....and you hit them - who's at fault?

i'm new to road riding and last night i was riding along the beach with friends which is a very popular spot for cyclists around here. i was going around 22-23mph as i approached a beach cross walk. there is a yield sign sign for cars and a few people were waiting on north bound traffic to pass.

as i was a few feet from the cross walk the last car passed and a 6 year old girl darted out from the east side of the street and nearly ran RIGHT in front of me as . i yelled 'watch out!' and scared the heck out of her but did miss her.

i'm extremely cautious of these types of situations and my surroundings. i guess my assumption is that i couldn't believe she would just dart across the street in front of me. then again - this is the general public we're dealing with. where were the parents?

regardless, i'm glad nothing happened but i was also a bit upset at the whole situation as i rode off.

insight?
Does not jibe.

Did you have the yield sign ? I can't quite picture the scenario, but you have to follow the same rules as cars.

Was the girl in the crosswalk, or darting out between parked cars ?

p.s. Capitalization is ok to use.

FYI: https://www.bikeforums.net/forum-sugg...ad-please.html
Old 08-12-10, 07:54 AM
buttdart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it's a tricky scenario to understand. it would be better with a picture. regardless, you're probably right - i'm the moron and could have really hurt her.

this type of thing just doesn't happen on the MTB trails!
Old 08-12-10, 07:59 AM
RacerOne
Hills hurt.. Couches kill

Bikes: 1991 Specialized Sirrus Triple, 2010 Trek Madone 6.5 Project One, 2012 Cannondale Caad10, 2013 Trek Crockett

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
You would have been at fault if she was in the crosswalk.
Old 08-12-10, 08:00 AM
thegunner

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
it sounds like you were riding on something similar to a MUP (along the beach/crosswalk gives this impression). in which case, you probably shouldn't be going 22-23.
Old 08-12-10, 08:02 AM
cshell
In the dark

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm more interested in the origin of the screen name "Buttdart".
Old 08-12-10, 08:09 AM
Phantoj
Certifiable Bike "Expert"

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there is a yield sign sign for cars and a few people were waiting on north bound traffic to pass.
??? so there is a sign reminding cars to yield to peds in crosswalk, and the auto drivers were ignoring it?
Old 08-12-10, 08:15 AM
buttdart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Phantoj
??? so there is a sign reminding cars to yield to peds in crosswalk, and the auto drivers were ignoring it?
without a doubt. that was another part of the issue.

group rides with 40-80 rides go along this same road at 30mph+ on a regular basis. i was actually going pretty slow in comparison.
Old 08-12-10, 08:41 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1853 Post(s)
Liked 680 Times in 431 Posts
You would have been at fault.

While riding your bicycle, you are considered a vehicle on the road and as such are subject to almost all the same laws regarding traffic flow as cars are. You are supposed to stop at stop signs and red lights and yield at yield signs.
Old 08-12-10, 08:41 AM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.dot.state.fl.us/safety/pe...e_pedLaws.shtm

I'm not a lawyer... Basically, you are supposed to yield to pedestrians wanting to cross. If a ped runs out in front of you so fast that it's impossible for you to yield, the ped is at fault. So, you would probably be able to argue that it was the little girl's fault. And someone else could argue it was your fault.

Bottom line: keep an eye out for trouble; especially be careful around kids.

Also note:
Driver duty to exercise care
(Section 316.130(15), F.S.)

Notwithstanding other provisions of this chapter, every driver of a vehicle shall exercise due care to avoid colliding with any pedestrian or any person propelling a human-powered vehicle and give warning when necessary and exercise proper precaution upon observing any child or any obviously confused or incapacitated person.
Old 08-12-10, 09:04 AM
hiker88

Bikes: 2009 Waterford S-22

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Did she have a musette bag?
Old 08-12-10, 09:07 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 2367 Post(s)
Liked 1,757 Times in 1,197 Posts
as i approached a beach cross walk. there is a yield sign sign for cars
No, there isn't. There's no such thing as a "yield sign for cars". The yield sign is for VEHICLES, which applies to you. In most states, even if there isn't a yield sign, if there's a crosswalk, pedestrians have the right of way and in/on any vehicle, you're required to yield to them.
Old 08-12-10, 09:11 AM
Quel

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by RacerOne
You would have been at fault if she was in the crosswalk.
Correct. If not in the sidewalk and you couldn't avoid her, then that's another story. Donte Stallworth only got 30 days in jail for killing someone while driving drunk because they ran out in front of him outside the intersection.
Old 08-12-10, 09:15 AM
buttdart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for the replies!
Old 08-12-10, 09:17 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
In many states, a 6 year old can't be negligent as a matter of law. You would have a duty to be traveling slowly enough, be vigilant enough, etc. to avoid hitting a 6-year old. Most collisions, if fault were assigned, would assign the fault to you, even without the crosswalk or the yield sign.

The crosswalk makes it pretty foreseeable that that pedestrians could be present -- amping up your duty to be careful. The yield sign takes the whole thing out of doubt.
Old 08-12-10, 09:18 AM
buttdart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
guilty as charged.

will learn from this.
Old 08-12-10, 09:19 AM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
these situations are really context specific.

i hit a pedestrian once, and *almost* hit pedestrians on a regular basis in Central Park in NYC.
it is a 6-mile loop with 2 traffic lanes, a bike lane, a runner lane, a non-road running path, and a running track, and a sidewalk. car traffic is almost always restricted and there are crosswalks.
however, everybody (i admit, i've acted like this) acts like they own the park or they're just too stupid to pay attention to anyone else.
the runners go in the traffic lanes, often backwards from the direction of traffic (marked on the ground.)
the walkers walk in the traffic lanes.
the bikers rarely go above the speed limit (25)
the tourists wander into the traffic lanes (7-person families, wandering like zombies) and stop look down the road in the OPPOSITE direction of traffic, then FREEZE like deer when you call out to them. the woman i hit (she was fine) did this.
the NYC natives cross at the crosswalks, but act like they don't see traffic or are too cool to care, so they walk slowly without looking.
i swear, it's worse than driving down broadway with all the cabs.

to deal with this danger, i ride extremely early in the morning or late at night.
Old 08-12-10, 09:23 AM
vdek

Bikes: 2010 CAAD9-5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What was the speed limit on the road? I'm going to guess something like 15mph...
Old 08-12-10, 09:27 AM
Inertianinja

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
In many states, a 6 year old can't be negligent as a matter of law. You would have a duty to be traveling slowly enough, be vigilant enough, etc. to avoid hitting a 6-year old. Most collisions, if fault were assigned, would assign the fault to you, even without the crosswalk or the yield sign.

The crosswalk makes it pretty foreseeable that that pedestrians could be present -- amping up your duty to be careful. The yield sign takes the whole thing out of doubt.
right. in terms of fault, think about what you would say as a cyclist being hit by a car.

i think that if a car sees a cyclist, they should be extra careful not to hit them, even if the cyclist is being erratic. because everyone knows that it's likely for a cyclist to ride erratically, the cars should compensate.

hence, when i see kids on the street, i ride extra carefully even though i may have the right of way. no out-of-the-saddle sprints when kids are near.
Old 08-12-10, 09:31 AM
pacificaslim
Surf Bum

Bikes: Lapierre Pulsium 500 FdJ, Ritchey breakaway cyclocross, vintage trek mtb.

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by vdek
What was the speed limit on the road? I'm going to guess something like 15mph...
Huh? Are there streets with 15mph speed limits? I've never seen anything lower than 25mph in the states I've been in. Which brings up the point that all the declarations about what bicycles are or are supposed to do vary by state. For example, someone said bicycles are "vehicles", well, not in my state (california). Here they are defined as "devices," in the law with certain characteristics and vehicles are defined as non-human powered things only.

But law aside, we just need to be aware of situations where people could dart out in front of us. True blame is for the courts to decide, but let's just do our best out there.
Old 08-12-10, 09:32 AM
bonz50

Bikes: 2013 Synapse 4

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
as a ped i've been drilled by bikes twice... downtown chicago, crossing a one way street (North Clark st by the river for those who know the area) and the biker was going the wrong way... I looked to the right (the direction traffic was coming) and when clear I stepped out, bike drilled me and sent me and him into the path of traffic... this happened twice at the exact same location... I was kinda pissed about it... damn bike messengers, ride like the rules don't apply...
Old 08-12-10, 09:36 AM
Inertianinja

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by pacificaslim
Huh? Are there streets with 15mph speed limits? I've never seen anything lower than 25mph in the states I've been in. Which brings up the point that all the declarations about what bicycles are or are supposed to do vary by state. For example, someone said bicycles are "vehicles", well, not in my state (california). Here they are defined as "devices," in the law with certain characteristics and vehicles are defined as non-human powered things only.

But law aside, we just need to be aware of situations where people could dart out in front of us. True blame is for the courts to decide, but let's just do our best out there.
there are definitely limits of 15 and less in NY
Also in NY, a bicycle is required to follow all the rules of the road that a car does (it's in the Vehicle and Traffic law. here's a site with a list: https://www.bicycledefensefund.org/bikelaw.html)

the part of the law that doesn't apply to bikes is things like DWI - those require a "motor vehicle" which is defined as "a vehicle that is powered by anything other than muscular power" or, apparently, anything that Fabian Cancellara is riding.
Old 08-12-10, 09:37 AM
buttdart

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just looked at a street view and the only sign i see is a pedestrian crossing with an arrow point down toward the middle of the road.

maybe the yield sign is new or i had some out of body experience and dreamt that there was a yield sign? wtf.
Old 08-12-10, 09:50 AM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by madpogue
No, there isn't. There's no such thing as a "yield sign for cars". The yield sign is for VEHICLES, which applies to you. In most states, even if there isn't a yield sign, if there's a crosswalk, pedestrians have the right of way and in/on any vehicle, you're required to yield to them.
+1

It sounds to me like the situation called for caution coming into it and a more appropriate speed might have been in the 15mph area, with hands near the brakes and ready to stop. The motorists are probably coming into this situation with their foot hovering over the brake.
Old 08-12-10, 09:53 AM
Phantoj

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i just looked at a street view and the only sign i see is a pedestrian crossing with an arrow point down toward the middle of the road.

maybe the yield sign is new or i had some out of body experience and dreamt that there was a yield sign? wtf.
"Yield to Pedestrians in Crosswalk" sign is redundant -- it's just a reminder of the law.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.