Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Has demand dropped?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Has demand dropped?

Search this Thread

Old 11-05-23, 12:35 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
I think many rare super bikes are being offered for the first time in a long time and the sellers are unaware of current market conditions. I was thinking positive thoughts yesterday: I shouldn't feel too bad letting some bikes go at garage sale prices if I can get even nicer bikes at nicer prices in a couple years
Old 11-05-23, 02:29 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by Classtime
I think many rare super bikes are being offered for the first time in a long time and the sellers are unaware of current market conditions. I was thinking positive thoughts yesterday: I shouldn't feel too bad letting some bikes go at garage sale prices if I can get even nicer bikes at nicer prices in a couple years
Sounds like a plan.
Old 11-05-23, 07:11 PM
ramzilla

Bikes: Vintage Japanese Bicycles, Tange, Ishiwata, Kuwahara

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 700 Post(s)
Liked 322 Times in 252 Posts
I'm still wrenching on the crappy Wal Mart bikes down in the public housing child care center. It's amazing how much abuse a bike can withstand. Stored outside in the rain & weather. I still use good old fashioned Type F ATF fluid for chain lube.

I will not purchase anything vintage anymore unless it has a pedigree frame & wheels. Minimum requirements is a Tange 1, Reynolds 531 or, Columbus frame. High end lugs. High end rims. Don't care about derailluers too much. They're usually so FU that I have to toss them anyway. I won't touch anything that's not spaced at least 126mm in back. 130mm spacing is the sweet spot.

Just bought a 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert for $145. All original parts in average condition. So, I'm still buying. Just not selling too much. Getting ready to donate my annual Christmas bike to charity.

Be good. Have fun.

Ramzilla
Likes For ramzilla:
Old 11-05-23, 10:11 PM
repechage

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 3464 Post(s)
Liked 2,831 Times in 1,997 Posts
Originally Posted by ehcoplex
The vast majority of ‘younger’ folks think nothing at all of practically everything having some sort of battery and needing to be plugged in and charged. I wonder though, with a less than robust and resilient grid and compounding climate disasters, if some might start to rethink battery dependence a bit. I recall people huddled around generators on the corners of lower Manhattan post-Sandy, waiting for their phones to charge (don’t remember what the entrepreneurs with the gennies were charging…). Would’ve been a drag trying to keep an e-bike charged up. If a disaster knocked out the grid and disrupted fuel supply lines, I’d be glad to have a sturdy, all-human-powered bike (with racks & panniers, too).
this was happening before the pandemic. I local shop set up, moved in same building within a year, tenuous sign, then closed. I went by and he was pretty bitter, he sold Raleigh and ordered stock only to be left stranded when Raleigh opened a channel online direct, at 10-15% below what he paid. Service is probably a strategy, whole bikes? It is going to be a bleak Christmas selling season.
Old 11-05-23, 10:32 PM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by georges1
Depends which frame you are looking for if it is something rare, valuable and collectible, you won't get it for cheap. Just look at what cost a 3Rensho or an Eddy Merck MX Leader or a Bob Jackson 853 or Colnago Master X Light frame , those will never be in the cheap category.
But given the number of collections which are going to be liquidated as more and more people age out of C&V there will be no shortages either.
Old 11-06-23, 07:38 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
But given the number of collections which are going to be liquidated as more and more people age out of C&V there will be no shortages either.
I doubt my kids will want to be bothered with selling my Cinelli. Pretty sure it will be dumpster-bound upon my demise.
Old 11-06-23, 10:09 AM
Atlas Shrugged

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1248 Post(s)
Liked 1,323 Times in 674 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
I doubt my kids will want to be bothered with selling my Cinelli. Pretty sure it will be dumpster-bound upon my demise.
Rather than risking that indignity for the bike, be like an Egyptian and get buried with it so you can ride in the afterlife.

Last edited by Atlas Shrugged; 11-06-23 at 10:50 AM.
Old 11-06-23, 12:26 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Rather than risking that indignity for the bike, be like an Egyptian and get buried with it so you can ride in the afterlife.
A possibility.
Old 11-26-23, 05:04 PM
ramzilla

This bike is fully restored with all new stuff. I advertised it for over 1/2 a year with absolutely no response at all. So, it & several others are still hanging in the attic for now.

1986 Centurion Ironman 600 groupset

Old 11-26-23, 06:17 PM
Classtime 

Bikes: 82 Medici, 2011 Richard Sachs, 2011 Milwaukee Road

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Quoted: 1952 Post(s)
Liked 2,013 Times in 1,112 Posts
Lucky for me the ones I tried to sell fit me and are good looking, fine riding bikes that I'm riding a lot: VGC 1985 Centurion IM, VGC 1986 Cannondale SR800, GC 1978 Motobecane GJ. The two that I would never sell are mothballed at the moment.
Old 11-27-23, 11:16 AM
cegerer
^ * * ^ * * ^

Bikes: 1977 Tom Kellogg Nr. 27 - 1984 Bob Jackson - 1987 Alpineer - 1999 Bianchi - 2002 LeMond Buenos Aries- 2007 Specialized Tarmac Pro - 2017 Mongoose Argus Comp FatBike - 2024 Gravity 29er 1-Speed Monstercross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I agree. Walked into a bike shop the other day and it was 70-80% electric bikes. What do the younger generation think of this? Are we getting lazy?
Long answer: yes!

I think for a commuter/utility bike, an electric motor makes sense. And for those with a physical disability for sure (but 90% of eBike owners who claim this, are not being honest - same as so-called 'service dogs' in my experience). But the hoards of people around my neighborhood use them as fitness bikes They're delusional. I suppose compared to sitting on the couch, riding an electric motor-cycle could have some slight fitness benefits. I assembled an X-Treme eBike for a neighbor with a true disability and it was life-changing for him from a mobility standpoint. That was 1-1/2 years ago. About a year in he noticed the battery was not holding a charge as long and it steadily got worse. Now he can only go 6 miles. Not sure if that is typical . A new one is $425. And just to twist the knife a bit he noticed that the bike he paid $1800 for is now $999. Ouch. But I digress ....

As a C&V buyer I have noticed a significant drop in component prices, particularly those graded below excellent. I have a build I'm starting on and I purposely want components showing some patina to match the frame - bargain prices on that stuff for sure compared to 2 years ago.
Old 11-27-23, 11:25 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I manufacture and import bicycle grips. Business is down considerably. I'm in the early planning stages of sunsetting the business.
Old 11-28-23, 06:14 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Mentioned: 221 Post(s)
Quoted: 1556 Post(s)
Liked 2,024 Times in 989 Posts
Sitrep: typical winter slowdown here (and then some), though I am swooping up good deals on choice components here and there. Waiting to see what inflation et al will do going forward into 2024. Seems like there is a lot of cutback in certain market/income echelons--very understandably so--with those that don't mind throwing $7-15k at a new bike humming along as usual. I have four bikes posted, and it's been very slow. My only consolation is that they are all somewhat to well south of the $1k mark, so they are theoretically an easier sell than a pricier bike.

Vehicle prices seem to be inconsistently falling back to earth. The bifurcation that has happened between top end collectible vintage bikes and cars continues to solidly apply to used vehicles (trucks, in this case). Diesel models that are proven are still $$$$$ while anything less (aka gas, lol, oh wait, I have one of those and really like it) is far, far cheaper. Bonus value for unicorn equipment (like a manual transmission), but even then, it's motor and cab/bed configuration-dependent. 2024 is going to be bananas.
Old 12-02-23, 01:34 PM
jPrichard10 

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 226 Post(s)
Liked 258 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by RiddleOfSteel
Sitrep: typical winter slowdown here (and then some), though I am swooping up good deals on choice components here and there. Waiting to see what inflation et al will do going forward into 2024. Seems like there is a lot of cutback in certain market/income echelons--very understandably so--with those that don't mind throwing $7-15k at a new bike humming along as usual. I have four bikes posted, and it's been very slow. My only consolation is that they are all somewhat to well south of the $1k mark, so they are theoretically an easier sell than a pricier bike.

Vehicle prices seem to be inconsistently falling back to earth. The bifurcation that has happened between top end collectible vintage bikes and cars continues to solidly apply to used vehicles (trucks, in this case). Diesel models that are proven are still $$$$$ while anything less (aka gas, lol, oh wait, I have one of those and really like it) is far, far cheaper. Bonus value for unicorn equipment (like a manual transmission), but even then, it's motor and cab/bed configuration-dependent. 2024 is going to be bananas.
I've swept up a few too many good deals and worried I'll have a basement full of vintage Treks (that don't fit me) for the rest of my life.

I guess there's worse things.
Likes For jPrichard10:
Old 12-02-23, 04:25 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by jPrichard10
I've swept up a few too many good deals and worried I'll have a basement full of vintage Treks (that don't fit me) for the rest of my life.

I guess there's worse things.

What are these said Treks that don't fit you and what size do they happen to be?

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 12-02-23, 05:47 PM
chain_whipped

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 175 Post(s)
Liked 452 Times in 232 Posts
We've been through this before. Its just a market correction. C'mon, have to be realistic on some of this old crap. Laughable what many were asking for Schwinn Varsity's to plastic Simplex derailleur's. None of its even rare.

As for some of lets call it 'blue chip' collectible C&V bikes, they were reaching prices what 3 and 4 year old premium carbon bikes fetch. There's plenty of modern carbon with high end level components in that $1500 - $2000 range where once $4000 to $6k. The person clicking around for a bike sees this price comparative and the old bike becomes less convincing. The biggest depreciation is on modern tri-bikes.

E-bikes are going to be in the same dilemma, probably worse. Kind of reminds me of all the worn out, fracturing, sloppy bushed, grip schitt, 26" full susp MTB's. Parts, service, reliability to tossed to the curb. Had a few already offered for free but I don't want waste time with them. New e-bikes with mid drives are now $1500 buying in 4 packs. Very difficult getting spares and tech support, so indi dealers are gambling. Probably pissing off customers for repeat business.

Oh, and Campagnolo announced no pro sponsorship for 2024.

Enjoy the C&V galore and be happy!
Old 12-02-23, 06:21 PM
iab

Mentioned: 201 Post(s)
Quoted: 3015 Post(s)
Liked 3,805 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by chain_whipped
There's plenty of modern carbon with high end level components in that $1500 - $2000 range where once $4000 to $6k.
I have a friend in Amsterdam. His wife is from the US and they visit for 4 weeks every year. I bought him a Cannondale Synapse with full Ultegra for $900 to ride when they are in the states. Perfectly great bike. Why would a non C&V person ever spend more on a C&V bike? And C&V people are dying off in droves.
Old 12-02-23, 07:29 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by iab
I have a friend in Amsterdam. His wife is from the US and they visit for 4 weeks every year. I bought him a Cannondale Synapse with full Ultegra for $900 to ride when they are in the states. Perfectly great bike. Why would a non C&V person ever spend more on a C&V bike? And C&V people are dying off in droves.
life expectancy is rising a bit. Only a bit. At least not continuing to trend Down.
‘Rather than dying off, this year will have the largest number of newly retiring folk in the history of the USA.
‘give them some time to adjust, next year or two a vintage bike project will be entertaining.
‘Otherwise, index shifting is now nearing 40 years in the rear view mirror. There are plenty who have never known this dangerous friction shifting. On the Downtube! no less.
and those will also look at Cambio corsa, or the other early shift systems, they will marvel at them but think, heck No.
Likes For repechage:
Old 12-02-23, 08:11 PM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Bikes: 1982 Trek 720 - 1985 Trek 620 - 1984 Trek 620 - 1980 Trek 510 - Other luminaries past and present

Originally Posted by chain_whipped
We've been through this before. Its just a market correction. C'mon, have to be realistic on some of this old crap. Laughable what many were asking for Schwinn Varsity's to plastic Simplex derailleur's. None of its even rare.

As for some of lets call it 'blue chip' collectible C&V bikes, they were reaching prices what 3 and 4 year old premium carbon bikes fetch. There's plenty of modern carbon with high end level components in that $1500 - $2000 range where once $4000 to $6k. The person clicking around for a bike sees this price comparative and the old bike becomes less convincing. The biggest depreciation is on modern tri-bikes.

E-bikes are going to be in the same dilemma, probably worse. Kind of reminds me of all the worn out, fracturing, sloppy bushed, grip schitt, 26" full susp MTB's. Parts, service, reliability to tossed to the curb. Had a few already offered for free but I don't want waste time with them. New e-bikes with mid drives are now $1500 buying in 4 packs. Very difficult getting spares and tech support, so indi dealers are gambling. Probably pissing off customers for repeat business.

Oh, and Campagnolo announced no pro sponsorship for 2024.

Enjoy the C&V galore and be happy!
Market correction, inflation/financial state, and bicycle type trends are certainly doing C&V no favors (plus the fact that it's late fall/winter). I have for sale, locally, everything from 'blue chip' to modern road/race to nicely outfitted C&V (indexed bar-end and brifter conversions) rides, all priced fairly. The vintage bikes are below $400, but some of the $300-400 bikes being sold are very tempting as a number of them have nice 5600/6600 groups in serviceable-to-nice condition. Perfect for cannibalizing for one's use or for parting out to make some money. Humorously, used parts are moving at a glacial pace as well, so the whole system is a bit stuck. When it decides to un-stick itself, though, I will be waiting with many good things.

I sift through the parts bins (even today) and know that all the older and/or oddball stuff is just going to sit there. What's a mint Sach's New Success 8-speed rear derailleur worth on eBay or in a good market? $50? $75? $100 even? What's it worth to simply get it out of the Derailleur Bin Of Darkness in the middle of winter, well outside of the city, with the employees working on used 26" bikes, 700C hybrids, and whatever smattering of reasonably-priced mid-tier road bikes? $10. Accidental rabbit trails will reveal an affinity for 1050's elegance and simplicity as a Baby 7400 group, but the reality of over three decades worth of use, wear, and indifference will make seeking a clean groupset not only difficult, but considerably more expensive/hassle than a more useable (and easily fittable) modern 8- or 9-speed groupset.

In some ways, I suppose, it helps us keep it cheap. No one cares about old yet very serviceable and reliable parts (I am speaking largely of my later-'80s and newer experiences here) and won't charge a premium? Sign me up again.

I agree about e-bikes. That's going to be a bloodbath when proprietary batteries, components, and frames all get to their critical wear and end-of-life states. Enterprising e-biker riders (generally, younger generations than us) will rig up different batteries, replace cells, and hack/bodge their way to keep them rolling, and good on them for doing so.
Old 12-02-23, 09:41 PM
repechage

Market correction, inflation/financial state, and bicycle type trends are certainly doing C&V no favors (plus the fact that it's late fall/winter). I have for sale, locally, everything from 'blue chip' to modern road/race to nicely outfitted C&V (indexed bar-end and brifter conversions) rides, all priced fairly. The vintage bikes are below $400, but some of the $300-400 bikes being sold are very tempting as a number of them have nice 5600/6600 groups in serviceable-to-nice condition. Perfect for cannibalizing for one's use or for parting out to make some money. Humorously, used parts are moving at a glacial pace as well, so the whole system is a bit stuck. When it decides to un-stick itself, though, I will be waiting with many good things.

I sift through the parts bins (even today) and know that all the older and/or oddball stuff is just going to sit there. What's a mint Sach's New Success 8-speed rear derailleur worth on eBay or in a good market? $50? $75? $100 even? What's it worth to simply get it out of the Derailleur Bin Of Darkness in the middle of winter, well outside of the city, with the employees working on used 26" bikes, 700C hybrids, and whatever smattering of reasonably-priced mid-tier road bikes? $10. Accidental rabbit trails will reveal an affinity for 1050's elegance and simplicity as a Baby 7400 group, but the reality of over three decades worth of use, wear, and indifference will make seeking a clean groupset not only difficult, but considerably more expensive/hassle than a more useable (and easily fittable) modern 8- or 9-speed groupset.

In some ways, I suppose, it helps us keep it cheap. No one cares about old yet very serviceable and reliable parts (I am speaking largely of my later-'80s and newer experiences here) and won't charge a premium? Sign me up again.

I agree about e-bikes. That's going to be a bloodbath when proprietary batteries, components, and frames all get to their critical wear and end-of-life states. Enterprising e-biker riders (generally, younger generations than us) will rig up different batteries, replace cells, and hack/bodge their way to keep them rolling, and good on them for doing so.
the future of the bike hobby cost of entry? A Fluke multimeter, soldiering iron and some digital know how? And maybe a bearing press. The World is changing rapidly.
Old 12-02-23, 11:52 PM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 6,491 Times in 3,213 Posts
Enterprising e-biker riders will rig up different batteries and hack their way to keep them rolling, and good on them for doing so.
Until it sets fire to the apartment complex.
Old 12-03-23, 12:15 AM
RiddleOfSteel
Master Parts Rearranger

Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Hey, man, no need to be a Debbie Downer about the super high chances of neglected and haggard lithium-ion batteries providing alternative heat to apartment residents...
Likes For RiddleOfSteel:
Old 12-03-23, 11:24 AM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
Originally Posted by SurferRosa
Hey, man, no need to be a Debbie Downer about the super high chances of neglected and haggard lithium-ion batteries providing alternative heat to apartment residents...
I was talking about E-bikes w/ a co-worker buddy, not in a bad way. Just talking. They mentioned that they recently talked to their homeowners insurance who specifically asked if there were any E-bikes in the dwelling (house/garage). When asking why, it's because coverage would be lost if the E-bike battery was the cause of a fire. Meaning...if a house burnt down, and in the insurance investigation it was found that the fire originated at the battery for the bike...zero coverage.

I don't know if this is par for the course w/ homeowner insurance nowadays, but something I had not ever thought of. My recommendation is if you have or are looking at an E-bike, best to call your insurance company to get their position and understand the fine print on this issue right now.

Old 12-03-23, 01:01 PM
repechage

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
I was talking about E-bikes w/ a co-worker buddy, not in a bad way. Just talking. They mentioned that they recently talked to their homeowners insurance who specifically asked if there were any E-bikes in the dwelling (house/garage). When asking why, it's because coverage would be lost if the E-bike battery was the cause of a fire. Meaning...if a house burnt down, and in the insurance investigation it was found that the fire originated at the battery for the bike...zero coverage.

I don't know if this is par for the course w/ homeowner insurance nowadays, but something I had not ever thought of. My recommendation is if you have or are looking at an E-bike, best to call your insurance company to get their position and understand the fine print on this issue right now.
the Big carriers know how to minimize losses. Surprised they did not extend the exclusion to the original Fisker automobile. The reincarnated Ocean probably is good, lessons learned.
Old 12-17-23, 08:08 PM
ramzilla

BICYCLE GRAVEYARD

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.