Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

How to know when to stop

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

How to know when to stop

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-22, 10:56 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
I know, but moving from a Roubaix to a trike, well, mental block. Yes, ego...
But you would still be riding. And then there are several pluses to riding a trike also!
Old 03-05-22, 12:51 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
But you would still be riding. And then there are several pluses to riding a trike also!
I'm moving to a smart bike indoors and using Zwift, and one other service. Just can't do a trike.
Old 03-06-22, 03:16 PM
Secrest302

Bikes: Motobecane Jubilee Deluxe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I really appreciate all the responses on this (50+) thread. I turned 60 last July. I have been an avid bicyclist off and on over the last 30 years. I would be active for a few years and then drop it for awhile due to job changes, city changes etc. I changed jobs in March 2021 which took me from being a road warrior to mostly working from home in northern Colorado. In early 2021 I (again) injured my lower back. An older gentleman at my recreation center suggested I get off the treadmill and try stationary biking. Well, I took right to the stationary bike and quickly built my stamina so that I could ride for an hour at 17 MPH (160W) intensity five days a week. By late spring of 2021 I decided to dust off my Motobecane MTB and start weekend riding. Then my wife decided to get out her Giant MTB and join me. yBy end of summer 2021 I had lost nearly 40 lbs that I had slowly gained over much of my career being a road warrior. I feel like a kid again when I am on my bike riding. My wife and I mostly ride trails here in the Northern Colorado cities. Now, some of our grandkids join us occasionally as well. We intend to keep on biking as long as our health allows and from some of the responses on this thread I think that will be for many years into the future.
Likes For Secrest302:
Old 03-07-22, 11:48 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1944 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Here is the key. Keep riding Zwift, but find something else you enjoy doing; outside would probably be a plus. Like some others, I've been on again off again with my riding; mostly on, compared to other activities. I know this is a bike forum, but riding a bike isn't the only thing in life. I spent a number of years surfing with our with boys. They've moved out of state and now I only get out occasionally and fewer times each year. But boy was that a blast.

I've always admired those who can consistently get out and ride for hours and hours. I was envious, and have done some longer rides, but I could always get my fix in a hour or two. There are so many other things to do. I've been in and out of so many activities, sports, and hobbies that I have lost count. Find something, jump in feet first and have fun. At 70, I know I'll hang it up one day, but I hope there is another adventure just around the corner.

John
Likes For 70sSanO:
Old 03-15-22, 06:34 PM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Here is the key. Keep riding Zwift, but find something else you enjoy doing; outside would probably be a plus. Like some others, I've been on again off again with my riding; mostly on, compared to other activities. I know this is a bike forum, but riding a bike isn't the only thing in life. I spent a number of years surfing with our with boys. They've moved out of state and now I only get out occasionally and fewer times each year. But boy was that a blast.

I've always admired those who can consistently get out and ride for hours and hours. I was envious, and have done some longer rides, but I could always get my fix in a hour or two. There are so many other things to do. I've been in and out of so many activities, sports, and hobbies that I have lost count. Find something, jump in feet first and have fun. At 70, I know I'll hang it up one day, but I hope there is another adventure just around the corner.

John
Planning on doing a bit of hiking. And my other hobby, photography, will take some time, as well.
Old 03-18-22, 07:09 PM
Gonzo Bob
cycles per second

Bikes: Early 1980's Ishiwata 022 steel sport/touring, 1986 Vitus 979, 1988 DiamondBack Apex, 1997 Softride PowerWing 700, 2001 Trek OCLV 110

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 48 Posts
Sorry to hear about your misfortune. I know it doesn't eliminate the chance of crashing, but have you thought about getting tricycle? I joined a recreational club last year and met a couple of trike riders (trikers?) who got trikes because of crashing hard on bikes. Anyway, once I feel I can't ride a two wheeler anymore, I think I'll probably get a trike.
Old 03-19-22, 08:33 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
There are also foot-powered sports outdoors. Hiking and trail running come to mind. You're still young, just a little too old to start rock climbing. There are so many wonderful sports . . .You're in MA, great place for outdoor sports in all seasons.
I agree. Plenty of other things to do for even the most avid of (former) cyclists (me). About a year ago I started Zwifting and have found it to be very enjoyable although I just use it to stay fit for other activities. Right now my goals are to 1) loose weight and 2) get in shape - but the goals are for our recently re-homed 5 yr. old Chinook sled dog.
Old 03-19-22, 12:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3890 Post(s)
Liked 1,939 Times in 1,384 Posts
Originally Posted by Terex
I agree. Plenty of other things to do for even the most avid of (former) cyclists (me). About a year ago I started Zwifting and have found it to be very enjoyable although I just use it to stay fit for other activities. Right now my goals are to 1) loose weight and 2) get in shape - but the goals are for our recently re-homed 5 yr. old Chinook sled dog.
Only 1 sled dog? Can you run dogs there in the winter? How about 4 more? That's serious fun.
Old 03-22-22, 06:50 AM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
Originally Posted by Carbonfiberboy
Only 1 sled dog? Can you run dogs there in the winter? How about 4 more? That's serious fun.
One dog is plenty for us. I have a ski-joring harness for her. And yes, plenty of snow in northern NM. Our house is at 7,500 ft. and the local mountains go to over 13k.
Old 03-22-22, 08:27 AM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
How to know when to Stop

My plan is to convert to an e bike when I reach 100+; I will stop
when they pull my road bike from my cold dead hands.
Likes For fastcarbon: