Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Having a Home Gym vs joining a Fitness Club

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Having a Home Gym vs joining a Fitness Club

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-23, 08:34 AM
Daniel4

Bikes: Sekine 1979 ten speed racer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1481 Post(s)
Liked 639 Times in 437 Posts
I had some spinlock handles with missing pieces and a bowflex selecttech dumbbell that had a broken disk.

So when the pandemic started, I had to shop around for three 5lb weights, one spinlock nut and on ebay found a person that makes replacement bowflex selecttech disks from 3d printing.

When restrictions were lifted, I returned to the gym to do barbell squats and to use better dumbbells. Spinlocks are ok except when resting them on your legs as you set up for presses. And the selecttech dumbbells are getting old the rubber around the handles are loosening so that the dumbbells tend to rotate as you're doing the exercise.

Anyways, the gym has a better atmosphere, better ventilation, social contact and gives me an excuse to ride my bike.

I don't like doing leg exercises with dumbbells. Carrying my heaviest dumbbells, my forearms and shoulders get more work than my legs when doing dumbbell squats and deadlifts. As for bulgarian split squats, I have a hard time balancing and doing one leg at a time takes too long.

Last edited by Daniel4; 08-11-23 at 10:09 AM.
Old 08-11-23, 09:12 AM
MikeWMass

Bikes: Velosolex St. Tropez, LeMond Zurich (spine bike), Rotator swb recumbent

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 32 Posts
I have a spin bike, rollers, a Bowflex and a Nordic Trak skier. I mostly use the spin bike and Bowflex (like every day unless I ride outside.
I just get up, brush my teeth, start the coffee and go to the basement for 90 minutes or so.
If I had to drive to a gym, it would be much less frequent.
Doing it first thing in the morning leaves the rest of my day available (I retired in January)'.
The spin bike I bought new; the Bowflex from Craigslist, the others I got at the swap shop at the local recycle center so it didn't even cost a lot.
I have been doing this for about a year now. Used to run but that is now out since knee replacement.
Definitely notice increased strength and stamina. Better able to keep up with my riding buddies.
Old 08-11-23, 11:07 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
love the DIY home gym! sadly I can't workout at home, I'm too lazy. I need to be around other ppl exercising
Old 08-14-23, 09:24 AM
bblair

Bikes: Lynskey R230, Trek 5200, 1975 Raleigh Pro, 1973 Falcon ,Trek T50 Tandem and a 1968 Paramount in progress.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 395 Times in 234 Posts
There was an article today in the Wall Street Journal about how adults are getting frustrated with the kids at Planet Fitness. Apparently, they had a free for the summer offer for teens, but many are lacking in gym etiquette.

I have a weight machine, some light dumb bells, lots of elastic bands and my trainer/Zwift setup in front of a big TV. I spent 40 years dealing with people and now I'd rather not.
Likes For bblair:
Old 08-14-23, 10:39 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,584 Times in 2,344 Posts
bblair

yeah our gym gets seasonal visitors too. it doesn't last long tho. any inconveniences are short lived. also happens during holidays & seasonal school breaks
Old 08-22-23, 02:51 PM
bald1der

Bikes: Cannondale CX3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 27 Posts
I've never been much of a gym person. All my years in the Army I hated going to the gym. I prefer to be outside, I have a Peloton and some free weights when the weather doesn't allow me to be outside.
Old 08-22-23, 10:31 PM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
I stopped by my local gym at lunch break. I telework and I'm so grateful for that so I am extremely conscientious about my time.
I wanted to use one of the squat racks, but there was a guy who had just used it and was taking a breather before he used it again.
A short breather. At first I thought three minutes? I waited and waited maybe fifteen minutes?
Finally I just left and went home and did them in my garage. I was so p---d I did twenty of them.
Old 08-23-23, 01:24 PM
Terex

Bikes: Specialized 6Fattie, Parlee Z5, Scott Addict

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 24 Posts
When we lived in NJ and I was riding a lot, I had a gym membership and enjoyed taking yogalates and spin classes although I pretty much ignored the spin instructors. After moving to northern New Mexico, facilities were farther away and not as nice. We have a great space that we turned into a fun place to hang out and work out. We had everything in place before Covid so it was perfect. We've been traveling too much to use it much this summer but we will both be out there after my wife gets another knee replaced in about a month.

Likes For Terex:
Old 09-23-23, 01:45 PM
Need41speed
BeastMaster

Bikes: Dahon Mu P8, Retrospec Spec (highly modified), EPX fixie

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
During the pandemic & recovering from a knee replacement, stopped going to the gym. Used Thera-Band tubing to simulate machine circuit movements & went out and got a mag trainer for spinning. This year, rejoined 24 Hour Fitness along with more time on the road. Space considerations in my man cave & being out and about on my bike commuting & training for century rides are welcome changes to my exercise regime.
Old 09-28-23, 01:06 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1393 Post(s)
Liked 1,329 Times in 837 Posts
Originally Posted by gobicycling
At the direction of my physical therapist, I am doing a lot of work with resistance bands. It's amazing how much effort you can put into one of the heavier duty bands.
I carry a set with me on my bicycle and this morning, in the middle of my ride, I worked out in the park with my bands, where there are sufficient poles and other things I can use to adapt to my routine. It's really helped my shoulders. They are light very portable. I still have a home gym, but I'm not really using it much except for dips and pull Downs. I am also doing modified push-ups, and 3 minute planks.
My younger son is a doctor of physical therapy, and he agrees regarding resistance bands. My wife has taken ballet ("French for 'hard,'" according to one of her recent teachers) classes for the 55 years I have known her, but he has her using bands to fix up some rotator cuff and back issues, and she is making good progress.
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 09-29-23, 08:11 AM
late

Mentioned: 130 Post(s)
Quoted: 12194 Post(s)
Liked 1,497 Times in 1,109 Posts
I have a ton of bands, some dumbells and a couple kettlebells.

I have a few Superbands, they are hefty. I cut them to use as straps for deadlifts, pull downs, etc. I have 3 of the 1 3/4 inch size, those are the ones I use most. As luck would have it, they are on sale:

https://www.performbetter.com/First-...=1&custcol29=8
Old 09-29-23, 09:06 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Canyon Endurace

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1041 Post(s)
Liked 926 Times in 541 Posts
I don't know if anyone's mentioned this yet (I haven't read through the complete thread) but since this is posted in this particular forum I'm hoping that most of you know that with almost any Medicare supplemental policy you probably have a free gym membership coming to you. My supplemental policy lets me join wherever I want. Yes, multiple locations and clubs. I am currently a member at 24 hour (can use any location nationwide) and another smaller local gym named Chuze, and I'm about to go over to the LA Fitness and sign up over there. In the past I could only use the 24hour where I signed up at. But, I could sign up at multiple 24hour locations, it's just that I had to do each one of them individually. I need to find out what the LA Fitness policy is. With this said I don't see too much of a reason to have a home gym. I have 5-6 gyms within 4 miles of my house and I can use whatever one I feel like on that day. If I go to visit relatives in Las Vegas I can just pop into the local 24hour without a problem at all.

In retirement and with these supplemental policies is just way too easy to get into a gym.
Old 09-29-23, 04:44 PM
macattack71

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale SuperSix 3, 1987 Raleigh Technium 440

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 16 Posts
I prefer to work out at a local gym and leave most of my sweaty mess there. I've got a floor mat at home to do planks, sit-ups, pushups, etc. and some small dumbbells. But the routine is not really good, except for being on the trainer. I've got the Peloton app free thru insurance and will perhaps signup for Zwift again. I feel I strive to get my value if I am paying a gym/subscription. I'll rejoin Planet Fitness now that daylight is disappearing, their ellipticals are really nice., I can't get my evening walk in as easily, and commutes to work go away. I don't talk to anyone at the gym.
Old 09-30-23, 11:21 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
Since my last post here I've changed my routine at the gym. I'm at the gym at 6 AM about 6 days/week. On 3 of those days I lift to failure on my exercises. Initially, I started doing compression curls with 20 lb 3x10. I am now up to 2x10 w/30 lbs and 1x5 with 35 lb. I feel great. Really feeling strong.
Likes For bruce19:
Old 09-30-23, 03:46 PM
Colorado Kid

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 358 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 82 Posts
I use to do the gym thing but that was years ago. I love the time and money saved by having your own stuff and working out when you want. No memberships, he-man types or any other crap you have to put up with at most gyms.
Old 09-30-23, 05:32 PM
gobicycling
Made it to 84 WHOOPIE

Quoted: 181 Post(s)
Liked 493 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Colorado Kid
I use to do the gym thing but that was years ago. I love the time and money saved by having your own stuff and working out when you want. No memberships, he-man types or any other crap you have to put up with at most gyms.
I don't know your age, but if you qualify for Medicare, most Medicare advantage plans and others have free gym membership. And it doesn't have to be a grunt and groan gym. I belong to our recreation center, with a number of swimming pools, walking tracks and a variety of fun courses. It's changed.
This morning, I had a full hour of intensive aqua aerobics. I swim three or four times a week. I don't use weights, I use stretch bands, which I carry in my backpack and can use them anywhere.
Old 09-30-23, 08:51 PM
AJW2W11E

Quoted: 229 Post(s)
Liked 110 Times in 50 Posts
I love it when you're at the Fitness Club and another member is doing several sets on the piece of equipment you want to use. Problem is they wait five or ten minutes between each set, stare into space , read their phone, or lie their motionless. It can be frustrating.
Old 10-01-23, 11:38 AM
RH Clark

Quoted: 539 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 259 Posts
Home for me because it's better for me to exercise every day. At home I can grab quick workouts and make a habit of it. I would have to make a special trip and drive 14 miles to the gym. I bought a good elliptical off Facebook for $100 and picked up some dumbbells and kettlebells. Add some basic calisthenics and I can do just as much as I could at a gym.
Old 10-03-23, 05:18 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I love it when you're at the Fitness Club and another member is doing several sets on the piece of equipment you want to use. Problem is they wait five or ten minutes between each set, stare into space , read their phone, or lie their motionless. It can be frustrating.
Change clubs. That's BS. Gyms where people really workout, it's 1-3 minutes between sets. I always have a list of about 10 exercises I want to cover and for each one of those there are usually several setups. If it's busy, I ignore my usual order and do what's next on my list, come back to the one I missed. The order isn't particularly important. The object is to get tired and I always manage that. I live in a town of about 100K and we have 5 gyms to choose from. Of course this is western Washington State. Might not be that way everywhere.
Old 10-03-23, 05:23 PM
Carbonfiberboy 
just another gosling

Bikes: CoMo Speedster 2003, Trek 5200, CAAD 9, Fred 2004

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 3889 Post(s)
Liked 1,938 Times in 1,383 Posts
Originally Posted by AJW2W11E
I stopped by my local gym at lunch break. I telework and I'm so grateful for that so I am extremely conscientious about my time.
I wanted to use one of the squat racks, but there was a guy who had just used it and was taking a breather before he used it again.
A short breather. At first I thought three minutes? I waited and waited maybe fifteen minutes?
Finally I just left and went home and did them in my garage. I was so p---d I did twenty of them.
Standard procedure is you ask, "Mind if I work in?" Never been denied. You might have to take off or put on a couple plates, quick to do.
Old 10-05-23, 02:03 PM
FrozenBiker 

Bikes: FX Sport 4 Carbon, Nishiki Hybrid (1x9 mod), Raleigh Sport Comfort

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 60 Posts
The local YMCA has everything here. Yeah, it can be pricey (based upon your income), but they have a ridiculous amount of equipment at [this] one.
And no bad vibes from anyone.

NorthEast Bikepath Rides

Old 10-17-23, 03:51 AM
sean.hwy

Bikes: Blur / Ibis Hakka MX / team machince alr2 / topstone 1

Quoted: 426 Post(s)
Liked 274 Times in 201 Posts
If gym membership was $30 and I could walk to it 15 minutes I would be all over it. Since I have to drive and pay more than that I workout at home instead.
Old 10-17-23, 06:10 AM
seypat

Mentioned: 69 Post(s)
Quoted: 3241 Post(s)
Liked 2,512 Times in 1,510 Posts
If you are 65+, check into a Silver Sneaker program near you.

https://www.medicare.org/articles/wh...akers-program/
Old 10-17-23, 08:30 AM
terrymorse 
climber has-been

Bikes: Scott Addict R1, Felt Z1

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 3432 Post(s)
Liked 3,567 Times in 1,793 Posts
Originally Posted by sean.hwy
If gym membership was $30 and I could walk to it 15 minutes I would be all over it. Since I have to drive and pay more than that I workout at home instead.
Ah, you need to move to a 15-minute City. I heard about this movement on the NPR.

For me, doing the gym thing is tough. My inner voice says: Why spend time in a gym when I could be riding my bike?

Likes For terrymorse:
Old 10-17-23, 08:46 AM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,933 Times in 1,213 Posts
A gym is as attractive to me as running laps on a track, or riding an exercise bike or a trainer. Look at that wall! Is there a crack in it? Or you start memorizing the disclaimers on the drug ads on the TV.

Or I can get outside, enjoy fresh air, and look at the same thing maybe twice a day riding my bike. Not a hard decision for me; I pity people who can't ride all winter.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.