Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Public transit and bike

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Public transit and bike

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-10, 08:01 AM
slipknot0129

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Public transit and bike

Theres some new public transit in my area. I live on gravel roads so I might have to ride 4 miles to the highway then they would pick me up. Trouble is I might wanna bring my bike with me but they dont have a bike rack I dont think. Its a transit from my native american tribe. Should I ask them if they could put a bike rack on their busses? https://www.seminolenation.com/services_transit.htm

That would save me 15 miles if I used the transit to go up then bike back home.
Old 03-24-10, 08:49 AM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
They might just let you bring your bike onto the bus. I would call them and ask about bicycle accommodations and see how they handle it. If they have no suggestions, ask if you can just bring the bike on.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 03-24-10, 08:59 AM
Inertianinja

Bikes: Felt AR1, Cervelo S2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
can't hurt to ask; might even get by just working something out with each individual driver.
if they're concerned about safety, you could lock it to a pole inside the bus so it can't move around.

when i bring my bike on the train or subway, i usually go to one end of the train and do my best to keep it out of everyone's way.
Old 03-25-10, 12:15 AM
jputnam

Bikes: Custom 531ST touring, Bilenky Viewpoint, Bianchi Milano, vintage Condor racer

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I used to take my bike on the bus before all the local fleet had bike racks. Not every driver was OK with that, but enough were that I could get around. It might help to be very neatly dressed and extra friendly the first time you try -- never get a second chance at a first impression.

Might also ask the transit agency if they have looked for grant funding to buy bike racks -- bike racks make a bus "intermodal", which sometimes can qualify for grants.
Old 03-25-10, 02:07 AM
Juha
Formerly Known as Newbie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
+1 on contacting them and asking. If that fails, how about a folder?

--J

Who is this General Failure anyway, and why is he reading my drive?

Become a Registered Member in Bike Forums
Community guidelines
Old 03-25-10, 02:46 AM
cyclezealot

Bikes: Klein QP, Fuji touring, Surly Cross Check, BCH City bike

Quoted: 1485 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 64 Posts
Bike racks are so commonly found in many American transit systems.. It should not be a big deal.. Transit systems are run by public authorities.. There should be a way to appeal to them at some public meeting... One problem I had with bike racks. There were so many passengers putting their bikes on the buses, I gave up and ended up riding anyway; because I got tired of waiting another 20-30 minutes for the next bus..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 03-25-10, 03:06 AM
wahoonc
Membership Not Required

Bikes: Giant Excursion, Raleigh Sports, Raleigh R.S.W. Compact, Motobecane? and about 20 more! OMG

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
Originally Posted by cyclezealot
Bike racks are so commonly found in many American transit systems.. It should not be a big deal.. Transit systems are run by public authorities.. There should be a way to appeal to them at some public meeting... One problem I had with bike racks. There were so many passengers putting their bikes on the buses, I gave up and ended up riding anyway; because I got tired of waiting another 20-30 minutes for the next bus..
That happens quite a bit here in the Charleston, SC area. I have seen 2-3 buses in a row go buy with the racks full. Not a bad thing, unless you were wanting to ride that bus. One of the reasons I would seriously consider a folder if I had to commute by bus down here on a regular basis.

The area I live in isn't nearly as good, not all buses have bike racks, yet, and they only run on the hour.

Aaron

ISO: A late 1980's Giant Iguana MTB frameset (or complete bike) 23" Red with yellow graphics.

"Cycling should be a way of life, not a hobby.
RIDE, YOU FOOL, RIDE!"
_Nicodemus

"Steel: nearly a thousand years of metallurgical development
Aluminum: barely a hundred
Which one would you rather have under your butt at 30mph?"
_krazygluon
Old 03-25-10, 03:24 AM
cyclezealot

Originally Posted by wahoonc
That happens quite a bit here in the Charleston, SC area. I have seen 2-3 buses in a row go buy with the racks full. Not a bad thing, unless you were wanting to ride that bus. One of the reasons I would seriously consider a folder if I had to commute by bus down here on a regular basis.

The area I live in isn't nearly as good, not all buses have bike racks, yet, and they only run on the hour.

Aaron
I well know about those buses that run on the hour.. Once It was getting close to dark.. I did not bring a light. ( always be prepared .) THought I'd get home early by hitching a ride on the bus.. When the bike rack was full, I had to ride home. Minus a light at night... Not good.. But, better than waiting around another hour on a cold night..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 03-25-10, 05:28 AM
Esteban32696

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Maybe ask the driver, nicely, if you could enter the bus from the rear & sit back there with the bike. Once you " became friendly " with him, it may be OK. If not, petitition the Tribe to install racks, but like mentioned above, racks will hold 2 bikes, so you may have to wait.
Old 03-25-10, 07:30 AM
cyclezealot

^.. I've tried that trick twice..... ONce it worked, once it did not .. The time It worked, I had extenuating circumstances.. I had run over a field of glass when traffic forced me into that minefield of debris.. My rear tire was trashed. Told the driver I could not get home , due to my ruined tire..The bike rack was full. He said it's against the rules, but because of my situation , he said I could if I take off a front wheel so it won't roll and put it between empty seats in the back...
The time they refused. When it was the last bus and I had no light for riding home in the dark.. That time, also, the bike racks were full..Same bus system and he said putting the bike on the bus would be against the rules.. Other than the bike racks, the bus was mostly empty.. Bureaucrats. !. Never, fear it's rare i'd rather not ride the full distance home..

^ Since January 1, 2012
Old 03-25-10, 04:12 PM
slipknot0129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im kinda shy so I will try to ask them on the phone.
Old 03-25-10, 07:40 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Which tribe? IIRC, you're in Wetumka? Prolly the Creek then, but not for sure. Just Google your tribe and you should find the tribal government site.
Old 03-25-10, 10:30 PM
slipknot0129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by no1mad
Which tribe? IIRC, you're in Wetumka? Prolly the Creek then, but not for sure. Just Google your tribe and you should find the tribal government site.
Seminole. I posted the link to the public transit on their page im talking about. https://seminolenation.com/services_transit.htm
Old 03-25-10, 10:39 PM
neilfein

Bikes: "Hildy", a Novara Randonee touring bike; a 16-speed Bike Friday Tikit; and a Specialized Stumpjumper frame-based built-up MTB, now serving as the kid-carrier, grocery-getter.

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The folks in the commuting forum might have some ideas on this. If you absolutely can't get the bike on the bus, you might consider getting a folding bike if one is within your means.

My bands:
Old 03-26-10, 05:05 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by slipknot0129
Seminole. I posted the link to the public transit on their page im talking about. https://seminolenation.com/services_transit.htm
They aren't going to use the racks that most people are familiar with on those vehicles. You might inquire if their fleet as receiver hitches (tow hitch) and if they might consider getting some hitch-mounted racks for bicycles.
Old 03-27-10, 04:43 AM
Chris_W
Likes to Ride Far

Bikes: road+, gravel, commuter/tourer, tandem, e-cargo, folder

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
If you manage to get the transit company to install racks, then get everyone to watch this awesome instructional rap video:

Old 03-29-10, 06:56 PM
Dahon.Steve

Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 10 Posts
I would suggest getting a folder but if the gravel makes this impossible, buy a cheap mountain bike. Get the New York Chain and lock the bike about two blocks from the stop. It would be better if you can find a location away from foot traffic that's hidden. A much better solution than asking the driver to bike a full size bike inside the cabin of the bus!
Old 03-31-10, 07:27 AM
slipknot0129

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Their number is only for leaving messages so Ill ask if I scheduled a ride. Ill scheduled it at my home address just to see if they drive out to my house on my dirt roads.