Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cheapest head unit to display power?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-17, 01:55 AM
newcommuter2016

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I am new to cycling, but understand that power is essential for training. I have an ant+ power meter and fenix 3hr. But, the winter here requires no exposed skin, so I haven't been able to see my power in real time.

What is the cheapest product I could find used that will display power on my handlebars? Bonus points if it will display % of FTP. Ideal would be that I could see both % of FTP & cadence on the same screen. I do not need to save data on the unit or track GPS or any other features because the fenix 3 handles that... I just want to see my current % of ftp & cadence.
Old 01-14-17, 06:07 AM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Bontrager's ANT+ Node line of computers display power but do nothing else power related. You might be able to get one cheap if you post on a local bike parts boards / FB group in your area, as many people probably threw them in a parts bin after upgrading to a GPS unit.
Old 01-14-17, 06:26 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
I'd caution against going bare bones with a display (if that's even such a thing at this time). The more in to power you get, the more various numbers are going to mean a lot more to you. I have specifically returned to one unit (even though it sucks and I hate certain hardware limitations it has) because the display allows me to perfectly configure it to see exactly what I want to see on various screens. Most of the more expensive models will do this, and it really is great to have, especially in regards to intervals where not only power is important, but also speed (because that's what it's all about), time, and things you may or may not find important in the future, like cadence, heart rate, normalized and average power, tss, etc.
Old 01-14-17, 07:35 AM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18399 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,361 Posts
What about going for a few models back, like a Garmin 500 or Garmin 800?
Old 01-14-17, 12:57 PM
newcommuter2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes! I should have said that I'm looking to buy something used that someone tossed in a box years ago and just found it while cleaning out the garage. "Hey, putting this on ebay isn't much more trouble than taking it to the electronics recycling center and I could get a few bucks for it".

I read the owners manual on those Bontrager Node units and it looks like it always displays speed really big and you can display power small. The one thing I need is just power displayed big so I can keep as much of my ride on the street under 75% of FTP, then get the most out of interval training on the trainer. I don't need to see "heart rate, normalized and average power, tss, etc" while pedaling to the grocery store right now. My watch logs all of that and I just look at it in Golden Cheetah. Maybe down the road I'll get a fancy head unit that does stuff my watch doesn't do, like create a 20km loop, but right now I want to save something from the landfill that displays power & is cheap so I can put that money towards saving up to get a fast road bike when I develop some decent power I was just hoping someone here would know of an old product like that off the top of your head because internet searches are mostly pulling up stuff that hasn't been discontinued.
Old 01-14-17, 04:07 PM
gecho

Bikes: 2009 Trek 520

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 155 Post(s)
Liked 167 Times in 130 Posts
Yeah everything but speed is quite small on my Node 2.
Old 08-27-17, 03:20 PM
newcommuter2016

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
For anyone finding this thread to answer the same question, here was my $50 solution:

Samsung Galaxy Avant - $50 incl shipping on Ebay
Cheapest thing I could find with an Ant+ receiver that would display power pretty large
It replaced my 7 year old smart phone, but at that price it would be the cheapest solution even if you just used it over wifi to add a cycling app and then didn't use if for anything else.
Plus, reuse beats recycling as this dramatically increases the lifespan of a phone. So it's far more environmentally friendly than buying a new head unit.

IpPeloton android app - free
I tried every app available last winter and this was by far the best for this use. Displays power and cadence with my power meter. Also works with just a cadence sensor if you just want to improve your cadence like most new riders need to do as far as I've gathered (mine was way too low). Also syncs heart rate and speed with my watch, though I didn't bother.
[tried to post a link to google play, but forum won't let me until i have 10 posts]
Old 08-30-17, 02:08 PM
pickettt

Bikes: DiamondBack Podium 7, Focus Raven 1.0, Ritchey BreakAway Cross, (2) Trek 8500, Paramount PDG 90, Trek T2000, Redline Flight Pro 24

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 33 Posts
You have your own reasons for wanting real time data, however, I find the most productive use of power data is after a ride is finished.
Old 08-30-17, 02:24 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Power is not essential to training. Lots of people train without power meters.

A Polar V650 does power however, and can be purchased for as low as $160 if one is patient and shops around. The V650 does ANT+.

I have two and thought about getting rid of one but any offer would have to be $100 minimum.

-Tim-
Old 08-30-17, 03:40 PM
PM City

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know not the cheapest...but I've used a bunch of head units over the last few years and I think the Garmin Edge 520, now at $250, is a solid option with tons of functionality. You can find them anywhere too.
Old 08-31-17, 02:17 PM
fsdogwood

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
if your fenix 3 can display power (which I don't know), you can just wrap it on the handlebar while riding
Old 08-31-17, 03:22 PM
corrado33

Bikes: 199? Landshark Roadshark, 198? Mondonico Diamond, 1987 Panasonic DX-5000, 1987 Bianchi Limited, Univega... Chrome..., 1989 Schwinn Woodlands, Motobecane USA Record, Raleigh Tokul 2

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1131 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Guys... garmin makes handlebar watch adapters. I use it for my forerunner all of the time.

https://www.swimoutlet.com/p/garmin-...iABEgJcx_D_BwE