Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Essential Tools for Beginner

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-14, 11:02 AM
ihatepickingthi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Any suggestions on a kit of essentials for someone beginning out doing own maintenance and repairs?

Thanks,

Josh
Old 05-21-14, 11:09 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 365 Posts
You'll be surprised at how much you can do with just a 5 mm allen wrench.

The first bike specific tool that I bought was a cable cutter. That was over 50 years ago and I still have it so it pays to step up and get a good one.

My next purchase recommendations would be a cassette *******, chain whip and chain breaker.

Beyond that I'd just buy whatever specific tools you need for the job at hand. Jobs like bottom bracket and headset work don't come up very often and the tools that are required vary depending on your particular bike.
Old 05-21-14, 11:13 AM
Retro Grouch 

I think that it's funny that my word for cassette tool got censured.
Old 05-21-14, 11:22 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Rather than buying a multitool as many do I would suggest getting a good-quality set of metric hex L-wrenches and combination wrenches and a separate chain tool. You can take just the wrenches you need, along with the chain tool and some spares, wrapped in a cloth in your bike bag. A few assorted zip ties take up little room or weight and can be handy for on-road repairs. Retro Grouch's suggestion regarding cable cutters is a sound one.
Old 05-21-14, 12:04 PM
CACycling

Bikes: 2009 Fuji Roubaix RC; 2011 Fuji Cross 2.0; '92 Diamond Back Ascent EX

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Other than the basics (hex wrenches, open end wrenches, chain tool, etc.) a lot depends on what you are working on. Chain whip and cassette tool don't do much if you have a freewheel. Cone wrenches are a must unless you have cartridge bearings. I would buy what you need when you need it and let the kit come together over time.
Old 05-21-14, 12:24 PM
cny-bikeman
Mechanic/Tourist

Bikes: 2008 Novara Randonee - love it. Previous bikes:Motobecane Mirage, 1972 Moto Grand Jubilee (my fave), Jackson Rake 16, 1983 C'dale ST500.

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 486 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 11 Posts
As has been said hundreds of times on this forum and elsewhere:

1. Basic tools like screwdriver and hex wrenches will get you a long way

2. All tools are useful only if knowledge accompanies their use.

3. get the specialized tools only as you need them, and don't buy BB tool(s) for a part being removed if you aren't going to need it for the replacement. Have a shop/co-op/friend remove it instead.
Old 05-21-14, 12:30 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5230 Post(s)
Liked 3,599 Times in 2,353 Posts
my 3 cents ...: gotta be able to deal with a flat, whether it's replacing the tube or patching it. so ... tire levers, wrench if you don't have quick release front & rear. some kind of cleansing wipe and or latex gloves, spare tube and or patches, and some way to re-inflate like a small pump or CO2 device & cartridges. A cable cutter is so wonderful, not to carry on rides but at home, cuz snipping cables just makes a mess of them. You'll need to clean your chain and lube it regularly - lots of options so explore your preferences. Pump for home, I'm lazy so i like electric, lots of folks here though swear by floor pumps. A mini pump is fine for carrying with you, but at home you don't want to struggle before each ride just to get up to pressure. So that reminds me, a "patented" pressure gauge, (I prefer quality).
Old 05-21-14, 12:40 PM
asque2000

Bikes: 2013 Trek 1.5, ~2006 Specialized FSR XC Comp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My kit includes a multi-sized allen wrench, a spare 700c tube, a small CO2 inflator, two plastic tire levers and a handful of rubber gloves (don't want to get messy). I would say for 70% of problems that can occur while riding, that will cover most of it!
Old 05-21-14, 01:46 PM
ihatepickingthi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Any thoughts on brands to go with? Is Park Tool a good way to go for a Chain tool, Whip, Cutter and Cassette tool?
Old 05-21-14, 02:09 PM
fotooutdoors

Bikes: Salsa Fargo, One-One Inbred 29er, Blue Norcross

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Park tool is good. I go with brand-name tools (Park, some Pedros) for my heavy-use (especially cable cutters!) and more precision tools. For bottom bracket tools, I have primarily off-brand stuff, since it is cheaper and I don't use it often. For non bike-specific tools (allen wrenches especially), I generally stay away from the bike brands, as they often run more expensive for the same tool and same quality.

As far as a chain whip goes, I made one from some aluminum stock and an old chain. IDK if that is your bent, but there are several bike tools that you can make. My other home-made tools are a headset press from some fine-pitch allthread, a stack of washers, and a couple nuts and an appropriately sized (1 1/2") PVC pipe as my headset bearing race setter, though these are not beginner tools, and many will just go to a shop to have the headset and bearing race pressed on.
Old 05-21-14, 02:32 PM
ihatepickingthi

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks. I like the idea of making my own chain whip.
Old 05-21-14, 04:56 PM
JanMM
rebmeM roineS

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro A20, RANS V-Rex, RANS Screamer

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 347 Times in 226 Posts
As others have said, you only need what you need. I have accumulated a bunch of cone wrenches (for traditional cup and cone hubs). Still need one for my wife's circa '97 bike but the other three in the stable use cartridge bearing hubs.
Old 05-21-14, 05:18 PM
Panthers007
Great State of Varmint

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 15 Posts
For the cable-cutter I suggest the Shimano over the Park Tool one. They are expensive, but so are cables and cable-housing you will munge trying to get by wire-cutters on pliers, etc.

Amazon.com : Shimano TL-CT10 Cable Cutter : Bike Repair Tools : Sports & Outdoors
Old 05-21-14, 05:23 PM
Retro Grouch 

Originally Posted by ihatepickingthi
Thanks for all the advice everyone. Any thoughts on brands to go with? Is Park Tool a good way to go for a Chain tool, Whip, Cutter and Cassette tool?
I used to prefer the Shimano cassette tool because it had a prong to hold it in place. Since that time, Park tool has added a similar prong to their cassette tool so I have no preference.

I have long preferred Shimano cable cutters to Park but I haven't bought one in a long time so current production might differ.

Chain whips are pretty much all the same. If you want to make your own - go for it.
Old 05-21-14, 05:31 PM
flyfisherbob

Bikes: Trek Domane 4.5, Kona Jake, Centurion LeMans RS

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Panthers007
For the cable-cutter I suggest the Shimano over the Park Tool one. They are expensive, but so are cables and cable-housing you will munge trying to get by wire-cutters on pliers, etc.

Amazon.com : Shimano TL-CT10 Cable Cutter : Bike Repair Tools : Sports & Outdoors
My .02, I recently picked up Jagwire cable and housing cutters on ebay. The price was not bad, and I had gotten to the point that they were necessary. Beyond that, my box has cone wrenches, hex wrenches, freewheel and cassette lockring tools, and old bottom bracket set (yes I have a bike that needs it), a chain whip and a crank remover. Non-bike specific tools, crescent wrenches, screw drivers, and on old monkey wrench that works fantastic for threaded headsets.