Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Narrowed it Down - Fuji or GT?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-15, 05:07 PM
Sondor

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

First, thanks to all for the great information here - it's much appreciated when you haven't bike shopped in nearly 20 years!

(I've been happily riding an '85 Haro Master and an '86 Fuji road-bike until I sold 'em this last year when moving)

So far, I've narrowed my search to a hybrid and there's a Performance Bike shop near me where I'll purchase the bike.

Firstly, I'm leaning heavily towards either a Fuji Traverse, or a GT Backwoods -

Any thoughts on one vs the other?

I'll likely decide simply on which one feels "right" at the time, but would appreciate going in armed with a bit of insight if possible.
I'm really out of touch with derailers, hubs, cranks, and wheels which from my experience really matter in the long-haul.

Here's the GT Backwoods: https://tinyurl.com/mmq259o

and the Fuji Traverse: Fuji Traverse 1.8 Sport Hybrid - 2015 - Performance Exclusive

Secondly, I could afford to go up a model with either one. Any thoughts on if it's worth it?

Here's the next level GT Backwoods: GT Backwoods Comp Mountain Bike - 2015 Performance Exclusive

And the next level Fuji Traverse: https://tinyurl.com/psefqnb

Thanks in advance - fantastic forum!

Cheers,
Old 04-26-15, 07:31 PM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The GT is a mountain bike. It has fat tires and a mountain bike shock. It is designed for off road. It will be heavy compared to the Fuji. The Fuji is a hybrid with skinnier tires than a mountain bike that will be better for paved surfaces and smooth trails. It's light duty shock will help if the road or trail gets a bit rough.
Old 04-26-15, 09:48 PM
Sondor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1
The GT is a mountain bike. It has fat tires and a mountain bike shock. It is designed for off road. It will be heavy compared to the Fuji. The Fuji is a hybrid with skinnier tires than a mountain bike that will be better for paved surfaces and smooth trails. It's light duty shock will help if the road or trail gets a bit rough.
They were both listed in the same category on the website but even though they are both hard-tails with a small front shock I can see what you're saying... I do want a lighter bike so that sways me towards the Fuji. Plenty to ponder -

Any thoughts on if the Fuji 1.5 is worth upgrading to over the 1.8?
Old 04-26-15, 10:43 PM
catonec 

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Ive owned 2 gt's no fujis. not really a good reason but I choose the gt. quality bikes.

I would also buy the highest level of bike I could afford as my initial purchase. hopefully by doing this I would have less desire to upgrade immediately. plus its probably more cost efficient than buying each component separately.
Old 04-26-15, 11:15 PM
Sondor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Arghh! I've clearly looked at too many bikes this weekend 'cause I totally goofed - I meant the GT Transeo vs the Fuji Traverse ~ My bad -

GT Transeo: GT Transeo 4.0 Comfort Bike - 2015

GT Transeo next model up: GT Transeo 3.0 Comfort Bike - 2014

Last edited by Sondor; 04-26-15 at 11:19 PM.
Old 04-26-15, 11:18 PM
Sondor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by catonec
Ive owned 2 gt's no fujis. not really a good reason but I choose the gt. quality bikes.

I would also buy the highest level of bike I could afford as my initial purchase. hopefully by doing this I would have less desire to upgrade immediately. plus its probably more cost efficient than buying each component separately.
Hi Catonec,

I feel the same way but about Fuji having owned one - that said, I did covet a buddies GT Mach One back in the day

You make a really good point about upgrading - My inclination was to do as you suggest, but I wasn't sure how much value-add there really was in the upgraded components. Thanks!
Old 04-27-15, 12:46 PM
squatchout

Bikes: '15 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Sondor
Arghh! I've clearly looked at too many bikes this weekend 'cause I totally goofed - I meant the GT Transeo vs the Fuji Traverse ~ My bad -

GT Transeo: GT Transeo 4.0 Comfort Bike - 2015

GT Transeo next model up: GT Transeo 3.0 Comfort Bike - 2014
As for the GT Transeo 4.0 and 3.0, they are basically the same bike except the 3.0 has an upgraded derailleur (one step up, Acera vs Altus) and hydraulic disc brakes instead of mechanical disc brakes. For the 3.0 you happened to link the 2014 model. They have the 2014 and 2015 model listed on the site for the same price. If you got one of those, make sure it's the 2015 model, because the 2014 comes with mechanical disc brakes instead of the hydraulic ones on the 2015.

The Fuji 1.8 seems to be an exclusive of Performance Bicycle it looks like. It lists the front suspension as adjustable, but doesn't mention it having a lockout. I wonder if it has one but they just didn't list it? The picture of it shows V-brakes, but the description says mechanical disc brakes. You said you would be able to test ride them first at the store, right?
Old 04-27-15, 08:42 PM
Sondor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by squatchout
As for the GT Transeo 4.0 and 3.0, they are basically the same bike except the 3.0 has an upgraded derailleur (one step up, Acera vs Altus) and hydraulic disc brakes instead of mechanical disc brakes. For the 3.0 you happened to link the 2014 model. They have the 2014 and 2015 model listed on the site for the same price. If you got one of those, make sure it's the 2015 model, because the 2014 comes with mechanical disc brakes instead of the hydraulic ones on the 2015.

The Fuji 1.8 seems to be an exclusive of Performance Bicycle it looks like. It lists the front suspension as adjustable, but doesn't mention it having a lockout. I wonder if it has one but they just didn't list it? The picture of it shows V-brakes, but the description says mechanical disc brakes. You said you would be able to test ride them first at the store, right?
Thanks Squatchout, that's quite helpful and I did miss that one of the GT's was a 2014 -

Does going up a level in derailleurs make much difference in general? In this case the Altus vs the Acera? Is it a smoother shift, a quicker shift or ?
Old 04-27-15, 09:03 PM
squatchout

Bikes: '15 Trek 7.2 FX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At this level usually a bit smoother. You may not notice a huge difference, I'd recommend trying them and seeing how they feel to you.