Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Help deciding btwn Sirrus and Trek fx 7.2-is shifting issue with base Sirrus normal?

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Help deciding btwn Sirrus and Trek fx 7.2-is shifting issue with base Sirrus normal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-15, 08:03 PM
amywogg

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I've had a 1994 Schwinn mountain bike for some time, and have decided to upgrade. I am 5'4 and enjoy biking primarily on paved trails and on the occasional dirt trail. I started with a budget of 450, but have decided that I'm willing to spend around 500ish. I started shopping at a couple of used bike shops, but it seemed they didn't have much to offer for me or the prices were high based on the bicycle blue book I found online ($375 and up for 1990 and early 2000 bikes).

I went to a bike shop that sells Trek. I first test drove a 15" Trek 7.4, which was at a higher price point than I was looking to spend, but that bike shop did not have much in stock. I thought it felt too small, but the guy there said it was my size. He also told me that is not a good bike for dirt trails. I did like the ride though, but couldn't get past the fact that it felt small. Next, I rode a Specialized Ariel in a medium, again above my price range- not sure which level it was, but it was priced at 7 or 800. I liked the feel of it and the sizing. They didn't really have anything else in my size in stock. Next, went to a bigger bike shop that carries Trek. The woman that helped me said that a 17" is a better fit for me and said that the fx is fine for dirt trails. I rode a Trek fx 7.2- really liked it- nice ride, changed gears nicely. I tried a Trek Niko 16"- it was ok. It didn't feel as comfortable to me as the fx and it definitely felt more like a mountain bike. I liked the lock out feature, but again, not my favorite bike. I tried a Cannondale Quick 6 - medium I think. I liked that also, but liked the fx a bit better. I think it was just slightly more comfortable ride than the Quick 6. I then went to a ski shop that carries Specialized bikes. They didn't have much, but did have a Sirrus in a small that was 15% off (of 510). I rode it in the parking lot of this shop (not the best shop at far as trying bikes. The Trek one is right next to a bike trail). I liked it quite a bit, but it didn't change gears smoothly- not sure how to describe it- felt it when pedaling and it made clicking noise. I tried to change gears a few times, but it didn't shift well. When I mentioned it to the woman at the shop, she said that was just how it shifted because it's the lowest one in that series. The Sirrus and fx 7.2 seem very similar, but I think I liked the Sirrus a bit better minus the shifting issue. I guess I'd like to know if this is true- that this is the best it gets with this base level Sirrus or if that is not the norm and may be able to be corrected. If this is the norm for this level, than I think I'd go with the fx 7.2. These are the only 2 shops in my area that carry Specialized and I don't want to go over 500.....I don't think.

Thanks for reading-

Amy
Old 07-28-15, 08:59 PM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds as though they were all poorly adjusted. I have test rode a number of bikes that wouldn't even shift gears they were so poorly tuned. Sadly this seems to be the norm. Many here talk about the LBS like they are sooooo awesome..... this is rarely the case.

The bikes likely just need to be tuned, but the shops you choose seem to be lacking skill and or motivation.

QT
Old 07-28-15, 11:31 PM
altondavis2

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 14 Posts
I have a 2014 Sirrus that shifts as smooooooth as butter.
Yours should too.
Old 07-29-15, 06:29 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
It is NOT NORMAL for anything with the Shimano name on it to not work correctly, if adjusted correctly. Even Touney and Altus stuff shifts smoothly. Do they have a real bike tech working there??? If so, have them recheck it! Ask to see the owner, that sales person is an idiot!

Noteworthy on the Sirrus is that it comes with a cassette (8spd) and not a freewheel, and also flat resistant tires, and a steel fork...

After the sale, it can be serviced anywhere. Like somewhere that has competent technicians.

Get the bike that fits the best, rides the best, and the one you like the best.

Last edited by Wanderer; 07-29-15 at 06:41 AM.
Old 07-29-15, 08:53 AM
amywogg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good to know- thanks! I'm going to take the Sirrus for a test ride again (assuming it's still available) and ask them if they can do something to correct it. Part of the issue is that that store is more known as a ski shop and I'm not sure it's the best place to buy a bike from, but there is another Specialized store nearby that I could take it for service.....so I think I just need to ride them both again and figure out for sure if it is indeed a better fit and ride for me. If that's the case, I think I will get it and take it to the other shop for service. I'm hoping that it's someone different there today that is more helpful.
Old 07-29-15, 09:23 AM
MRT2

Bikes: 2012 Salsa Casseroll, 2009 Kona Blast

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1031 Post(s)
Liked 208 Times in 146 Posts
Originally Posted by amywogg
Good to know- thanks! I'm going to take the Sirrus for a test ride again (assuming it's still available) and ask them if they can do something to correct it. Part of the issue is that that store is more known as a ski shop and I'm not sure it's the best place to buy a bike from, but there is another Specialized store nearby that I could take it for service.....so I think I just need to ride them both again and figure out for sure if it is indeed a better fit and ride for me. If that's the case, I think I will get it and take it to the other shop for service. I'm hoping that it's someone different there today that is more helpful.
Then don't. Part of buy a bike is buying the shop. If you have to spend more taking the bike elsewhere for service, then it is no bargain.
Old 07-29-15, 09:29 AM
Wanderer
aka Phil Jungels

Bikes: 08 Specialized Crosstrail Sport, 05 Sirrus Comp

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 60 Posts
You can also check with the other shop, to see if they will be competitive the new bike price.
Old 07-29-15, 09:54 AM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 220 Posts
Try out the other bike store and see if they will price match.
Old 07-29-15, 10:18 AM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
While reading the original message, I found myself wondering if the shop intentionally de-tunes low end bikes in order to help sell higher level bikes...

Either that, or the sales person was a snob who bad-mouths anything below whatever her "acceptable" level of components is.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson
Old 07-29-15, 10:39 AM
amywogg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I tried again and talked to a different guy who seemed much more knowledgeable. Suprisingly, it shifted a lot better today. I am still really struggling as it's hard to tell which is a better feel and fit. Does anybody know how the size of the small sirrus compares to the 17 inch track? I'm going to ride the 7.2 again today and see...
Old 07-29-15, 10:49 AM
amywogg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Also, which is faster? Which of those two would handle a dirt trail and better?
Old 07-29-15, 11:46 AM
quicktrigger

Bikes: Allez/Motobecane 427HT & Ti/Soma Custom Build

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Also, which is faster? Which of those two would handle a dirt trail and better?
IMHO, no significant difference for this or "speed" of the bikes. You, the motor, will be the biggest factor on speed of the bike. When I bought my Sirrus, it just felt better to me, but the Trek will feel better for others, and no meaningful difference for most. So if you have having issues determining which feels better to you, then just pick the one you like better (for whatever reason that is, and it doesn't matter what the reason is), and go with that one.

QT
Old 07-30-15, 11:55 AM
Darth_Firebolt
Pokemon Master

Bikes: All City Cosmic Stallion, Salsa Colossal, Surly Preamble, 1985 Schwinn High Sierra x3

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Cables stretch and housing slides further into the ferrules. If a mechanic puts a bike together and it sits for a month, it will probably need a tune up. We saw this happen quite a bit before we showed the new guy how to get a lot of the stretch out of the cables and seat the ferrules before he rolled it to the sales floor. Maybe nobody has shown this mechanic how to do that?
Old 07-30-15, 02:16 PM
swoodjr1

Bikes: 1999 Giant Rincon; 2009 Mercier Corvus Al; 2012 Trek Marlin; 2016 trek FX 7.5 when available

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I agree with everything posted so far EXCEPT you shouldn't buy a Specialized at one store and expect all smiles from a competing store when you bring in a new bike for service. If you like the Specialized more then get the BIKE SHOP that sells specialized to order the model and size that you want.
Old 07-30-15, 02:29 PM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds like you should get the Trek 7.2. You seemed happy with it, it fit you well, it fits the kind of riding you want to do, and it fits your price range. But it's good you're trying out a lot of bikes.
Old 07-30-15, 02:50 PM
mwl001

Bikes: Giant Roam 2

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by swoodjr1
I agree with everything posted so far EXCEPT you shouldn't buy a Specialized at one store and expect all smiles from a competing store when you bring in a new bike for service. If you like the Specialized more then get the BIKE SHOP that sells specialized to order the model and size that you want.
I would agree for the most part, but would only say you owe the more friendly shop the "opportunity" to match whatever price you find elsewhere. They'll also be getting all your future service dollars (which is where most dealers make their profits anyway) if they can't match the price or throw in some needed accessories I think you can have a clear conscience bringing your new bike there in the future.
Old 07-30-15, 06:30 PM
amywogg

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the advice about the bike shops. I guess I didn't realize that it would be that big of deal to get a bike and one place and have it serviced at a more friendly and closer shop. I did decide on the WSD fx, but now I'm debating on the 7.2 and 7.3.
Old 07-30-15, 06:49 PM
Little Darwin
The Improbable Bulk

Bikes: Many

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Either the 7.2 or 7.3 should do what you are looking for.

The 7.3 does have slightly higher level components, but honestly, either one would be fine.

9 speed vs 8 speed is a slight improvement
Alloy fork vs steel fork should save a little weight on the 7.3 (as long as some component weight reductions)

For dirt, the 35 mm tires on the 7.2 could possibly provide slightly more cushion than the 32 mm tires on the 7.3

For the road, the 32 mm might provide a slight speed advantage (although it hasn't made a difference to me personally).

I like the colors available for the 7.2 better.

If you test ride, and notice something that you prefer, that should answer your question as to which one you like better.

People do not seem to realize that their opinion of the world is also a confession of character.
- Ralph Waldo Emerson