Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Another bum bike joins my stable.

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-10, 06:22 PM
auchencrow

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 33 Posts

I keep purchasing these junky bikes, and then I have to do a lot to rehabilitate them.

-Take for example, the ‘74 Motobecane Grand Touring, pictured above.

The bike was a mess; It was stored outdoors; and it was being used by someone as transportation during the winter months here in Detroit. The leather saddle cover had separated from its base. It was all dirty, and caked with grease and salt. So….

1. I removed the seat post – Amazingly, it was not stuck. (I credit this to Motobecanes’ sleeved seat post binder design.)
2. I fixed the gouges in the upper portion of the post, which appeared to have been caused by a pipe wrench.
3. Removed the pedals – they were extremely recalcitrant - but I got them loose after whacking mercilessly on my pedal wrench for an hour.
4. Straightened the bent cage on the left pedal: I then serviced the bearings on both.
5. Cleaned the front and rear DRs’. (Thereupon I discovered a nice Suntour V-GT-Luxe and a Comp5.)
6. Removed and polished the Cranks – (they were disgusting) – but there again, I was pleased to discover a Tourney alloy crank under the grime. - I ditched the chain.
7. Removed and discarded the damaged handle bars, and the brake levers.
8. Removed ,cleaned and polished the front brake caliper, kickstand, and stem.
9. OA’d the saddle clamp, brake bolts, skewers, head set –cap nuts, seat binder bolt and quill.
10. I attempted to salvage the rear wheel: It was hitting both the left and right chain stays. (The rear brake caliper had been disconnected to allow it to be ridden in that condition.) After a few hours though, I gave up, and installed a spare rear wheel.
11. I tried to straighten the alloy chain guard. (-unsuccessfully – but it looks better without one anyway IMO).
12. Removed and cleaned the 5 speed freewheel.
13. I cleaned and waxed the bare frame and the forks.
14. Then I started reassembly – servicing the headset, BB and wheel bearings. lubing the straddle cables, installing all new housings and stainless cables, new inner tubes, tires, brake shoes, saddle, chain, and a nice pair of CTA French pantographed handlebars with new black Tressostar bar tape.
15. I trued the front wheel as best I could –but not quite well enough, so I went out and purchased a lovely pair of NOS Mavic Mod E rims for it, and I’m ordering the new spokes to build them up…

I took it for a ride today, and then I took the pics you see below.
It is a real nice ride …and I know it will be even better with the Mavic wheels.

... I’m shopping for a new rack for it now – and I think it needs a black B17, and maybe then it will be ready to sell.

But for some reason, I just can not make a dime on these old French junkers.

So I guess I may as well keep it.

Old 03-30-10, 06:30 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Nice recovery! Well done!

Sometimes, the bottom end/low end bikes from that era look really good, shined up and polished. They had some nice paint, a touch of chrome, and nice lugs.
Old 03-30-10, 06:31 PM
mkeller234
Rustbelt Rider

Bikes: 1990 Trek 1420 - 1978 Raleigh Professional - 1973 Schwinn Collegiate - 1974 Schwinn Suburban

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 372 Times in 177 Posts
That looks great. The perspective of the 2nd picture makes the handlebars look bent, I think it's just a trick of the camera. I literally bought one bike from a homeless man, I watched it for a few days and worked up the courage then asked him to name his price. It isn't as nice as this one. I find it hard to believe no one would buy it from you, it looks so nice.
"(@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)
Old 03-30-10, 06:47 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by mkeller234
That looks great. The perspective of the 2nd picture makes the handlebars look bent, I think it's just a trick of the camera. I literally bought one bike from a homeless man, I watched it for a few days and worked up the courage then asked him to name his price. It isn't as nice as this one. I find it hard to believe no one would buy it from you, it looks so nice.
M - the bars in the 2nd picture are bent - un salvageable and the replacement bars were a little pricey (on eBay).
I way overpaid for the bike too, but I felt good about that.
Old 03-30-10, 06:53 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by wrk101
Nice recovery! Well done!

Sometimes, the bottom end/low end bikes from that era look really good, shined up and polished. They had some nice paint, a touch of chrome, and nice lugs.
Hi Wrk101 - You are sure right about the nice paint - it's chromed underneath, and the RED just "glows" - more so than what these pictures can convey.
Old 03-30-10, 07:10 PM
EjustE
sultan of schwinn

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 9 Posts
This looks nice. A Brooks would be an overkill. Rotating the bars about 20 degrees downward would make wonders for it, though

great transformation.
Old 03-30-10, 07:34 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by EjustE
This looks nice. A Brooks would be an overkill. Rotating the bars about 20 degrees downward would make wonders for it, though

great transformation.
Thanks E. And the bars probably would look a little better rotated - but I always end up with tops set ~level with the stem anyway - (it seems optimal to me for comfort if I am riding the hoods, and when I'm in the drops, it helps to keep my wrists straight.)
Old 03-30-10, 07:42 PM
Shp4man

Bikes: 1989 Schwinn World Sport. 1994 Diamond Back Response Elite MTB. 1964 Schwinn Typhoon. 1974 Bridgestone Sprinter, 2015 Scott Sub 10 Citybike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1688 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 37 Posts
Well done! That's an attractive bike. I wish I cold get the lions imprinted on my Peugeot's bars to stand out like that, but the engraving is really shallow.
Old 03-30-10, 07:42 PM
ohjonnybegoode

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 10 Posts
Looks terrific! The Grand Touring was one of the higher-end models in the Moto hierarchy, wasn't it? There's something about the paint finish on those old Motos...they just pop when they're cleaned up....
Old 03-30-10, 08:07 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Shp4man
Well done! That's an attractive bike. I wish I cold get the lions imprinted on my Peugeot's bars to stand out like that, but the engraving is really shallow.
Thanks Ship4man - regarding the lions - part of it is how you photograph them - They'll jump out more if you move them slightly into the shade on a sunny day. Use the macro (close up) setting on your camera.
Old 03-30-10, 08:27 PM
bumpalong

Bikes: 2001 LeMond Poprad, 1983 Vitus, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1983 Fuji Del Rey, 1974 Fuji S-10, 1956 Triumph, 1971 Raleigh DL-1, 1964 Phillips, 1982 Motobecane Supermirage, 1962 Raleigh Superb, 1958 Robin Hood, 1966(?) Raleigh Sprite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice one auchencrow - a resurrection in the grand tradition (of bringing worthy steel back from the brink). You've made me think that I should reconsider my bias against French bikes. One of my first CL purchases was a Motobecane Super Mirage that I ended up way overspending to convert to a single speed just before the bottom bracket went wonky and I was left contemplating additional expense. A good lesson, but I've avoided them ever since. And now you've helped me see them as beautiful again...
Old 03-30-10, 08:36 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by ohjonnybegoode
Looks terrific! The Grand Touring was one of the higher-end models in the Moto hierarchy, wasn't it? There's something about the paint finish on those old Motos...they just pop when they're cleaned up....
Hi ohjohnnybegoode - thanks...
Actually the Gr Touring was pretty much in the middle of Moto's lineup - but the next best models (the Gr Jubile, Gr Record, & LeChampion), were very deluxe bikes, so the Gr Touring was not really that shabby at 24lbs.
Old 03-30-10, 08:39 PM
USAZorro
Seńor Member

Bikes: Mostly English - predominantly Raleighs

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 1492 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 642 Posts
Very nice restoration.

I'd sell it though - it's waaaaay too large for me.
Old 03-30-10, 08:42 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by bumpalong
Nice one auchencrow - a resurrection in the grand tradition (of bringing worthy steel back from the brink). You've made me think that I should reconsider my bias against French bikes. One of my first CL purchases was a Motobecane Super Mirage that I ended up way overspending to convert to a single speed just before the bottom bracket went wonky and I was left contemplating additional expense. A good lesson, but I've avoided them ever since. And now you've helped me see them as beautiful again...
Thank you Bumpalong - You just might want to resurrect yours too - For about $60 Velo Orange is selling a cartridge BB that obviates any issue you may have had with the subject perversely threaded component. 15 minutes invested in installation, and you could be good for another 40 years.
Old 03-30-10, 08:49 PM
old's'cool
curmudgineer

Bikes: 2 many 2 fit here

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 263 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 70 Posts
Originally Posted by auchencrow
Originally Posted by EjustE
Thanks E. And the bars probably would look a little better rotated - but I always end up with tops set ~level with the stem anyway - (it seems optimal to me for comfort if I am riding the hoods, and when I'm in the drops, it helps to keep my wrists straight.)
I typically have my drops adjusted at a similar angle, and for the same reasons.
Nice resto job auchencrow; I agree, all the Motobecanes of that era look very nice; you have to look closely at the technical details to tell them apart.

Last edited by old's'cool; 03-30-10 at 08:51 PM. Reason: typo
Old 03-30-10, 08:52 PM
Grand Bois

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 443 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 25 Posts
I agree with EjustE about the bars, but I think that a Brooks would be nice. He doesn't like Brooks saddles. I ride nothing else. If you want a flat top, you need different bars. Seventies bars just weren't shaped for riding the hoods. If you tilt them to give a flat top the look goofy.
Old 03-30-10, 08:57 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by USAZorro
Very nice restoration.

I'd sell it though - it's waaaaay too large for me.
Thanks USAZorro - It is as you say, a large bike - it's even at the limit for me - but I tend to LIKE larger frames, because of the longer TT.
(Maybe I should only buy smaller bikes ( I have an easier time selling those without any remorse. ))
Old 03-30-10, 09:09 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by Grand Bois
I agree with EjustE about the bars, but I think that a Brooks would be nice. He doesn't like Brooks saddles. I ride nothing else. If you want a flat top, you need different bars. Seventies bars just weren't shaped for riding the hoods. If you tilt them to give a flat top the look goofy.
GrandBois - Then I am afraid ALL my bikes look goofy ! - Actually I spend most of my riding time in the drops, but that is the other reason I orient them that way. My wrists would become sore.

How anyone could not like Brooks saddles I'll never know ! (excepting for some people's sensibilities about using animal byproducts). To me there is nothing more comfortable than a Brooks.
- I'll have to flip some bikes though before I get one though, to get back in the black.
Old 03-30-10, 09:20 PM
scozim 
Ellensburg, WA

Bikes: See my signature

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 313 Post(s)
Liked 458 Times in 160 Posts
Originally Posted by Shp4man
I count myself lucky to find a set of those bars for $10 at a swap meet. Now to try and get the engraving to pop out in the photos using the shadows.

Old 03-30-10, 09:21 PM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by old's'cool
I typically have my drops adjusted at a similar angle, and for the same reasons.
Nice resto job auchencrow; I agree, all the Motobecanes of that era look very nice; you have to look closely at the technical details to tell them apart.
Thank you old'scool - (and I am glad to hear I am not the only one with goofy bars )
I've been seeing a lot of posts about French bikes here lately and it seems to me there is good reason -people rediscovering their aesthetic value and road manners.
Old 03-31-10, 07:48 AM
southpawboston

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 182 Times in 89 Posts
very nice restoration, auchencrow! you really sweat the details.
Old 03-31-10, 07:56 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,585 Times in 2,344 Posts
nice work! good luck with this one
Old 03-31-10, 09:04 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by southpawboston
very nice restoration, auchencrow! you really sweat the details.
Thanks Southpawboston... It's true, the prior owner did not sweat the details as much.
Old 03-31-10, 09:05 AM
auchencrow

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
nice work! good luck with this one
Thanks much rumrunn6!
Old 03-31-10, 09:36 AM
robtown
Muscle bike design spec

Bikes: 70 Atala Record Proffesional, 00 Lemond, 08 Kestrel Evoke, 96 Colnago Master Olympic, 01 Colnago Ovalmaster, 76 Raleigh Gran Sport, 03 Fuji World, 86 Paramount, 90 Miyata CF, 09 Ritchey Breakaway CX, Bianchi Trofeo, 12 OutRiderUSA HyperLite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
It's a great joy to restore a bike from the brink of destruction to a new life. Great job!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.