Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

2020 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert or 2020 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 1 Disc

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-15-19, 02:14 PM
80miletrip

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, my roadie folks! I've been researching for a few weeks now for a new race bike. I've looked at other brands and my choices narrowed down to these two bikes. They are almost identical in price but the Giant TCR has power meter installed so I feel like it's a better deal. I need your input on what would be a better choice. Both bikes has the same drive train (Ultegra Di2) and both have carbon rims. Also, if you have any suggestion/s in this price range please let me know so I can consider and look at them also. Thank you.
Old 11-15-19, 03:19 PM
N00b_Cyclist
Destroyer of Worlds

Bikes: Trek Domane SLR "Molten Marble"

Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 42 Posts
Well, I looked at both of those bikes when I was deciding where to dump my money recently. The Giant TCR seemed to be winning all kinds of fame and glory last year, and the Specialized Tarmac is just a regular sight in most races, so I'd say they're both great options. The issue I had was that I couldn't get the Expert here. If I was able to, you'd probably see one in my house right now. Of course, there's always a Trek Emonda SL7, or Orbea Orca M20i (or similar) that are probably close in both weight and performance. But at the end of the day, people all ride varying brands, and all have a chance to win, so I doubt it comes down to which brand you pick.

Test ride them all, find the one you like most, and that's the one you will ride the fastest. Cheers and happy shopping!
Likes For N00b_Cyclist:
Old 11-15-19, 04:51 PM
Phoenix800

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 9 Posts
I'm a long time lurker and recently struggled with a very similar decision. I've been riding Specialized bikes since the 90's. My previous road bike was a 2009 Tarmac S-Works.

I purchased the 2020 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc (medium frame). It's the same as the Advanced Pro 1 but with SRAM Force AXS instead of the Ultegra DI2. The Giant is fantastic in every way. I highly recommend it.

The TCR's geometry is within millimeters of the Tarmac with the exception of the top tube length which is 10mm longer due to the Giant's 73 degree seat tube angle vs. the Tarmac's 74 degrees. This gives a slightly longer cockpit which is fine for me. Sliding the saddle 10mm forward will compensate for the seat tube angle difference.

A difference you did not mention is that Giant has tubeless tires installed and ready to go. The Tarmac comes with tubes. This is often a matter of personal preference.

The TCR's ride is exceptional, it is much smoother then the ride on my old Tarmac with 23mm tires. I assume the newer Tarmac also has an improved ride.

The Advanced Pro 0 comes with a Quarq power, which is different than the one on the Advanced Pro 1. It is my first power meter and I have found it to be very helpful. I've been able to improve my riding with it by keeping my power output reasonable on rolling hills where I would often crank out more power than I could reasonably maintain. I'm able to ride longer and faster without getting fatigued. Having a power meter opens up many new avenues to improving fitness. I've only just begun working with it. I will say that the power meter has been eye opening, my perceived effort has almost no relation to what the power meter tells me.

I've been a fan of Specialized for a very long time and was hesitant to switch to a Giant. The TCR is awesome and I have no regrets about buying it. I'm sure the Tarmac is also an excellent bike but the Giant is just as good and power meter is very nice to have if you are working on improving your fitness.
Likes For Phoenix800:
Old 11-16-19, 01:23 PM
80miletrip

Bikes: 2020 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Phoenix800, thanks for your input. I've been leaning towards TCR from day one. I think the included power meter is a great deal. I can now finally monitor and gauge my effort.
Old 02-17-20, 04:41 PM
SpeedyBlueBiker

Bikes: 1999 Giant ATX MTB, 2002 Lemond Zurich, 2018 Fuji Transonic 2.3, 2019 Specialized Tarmac Disc Expert

Quoted: 170 Post(s)
Liked 391 Times in 226 Posts
I have the same Specialized bike that you have except it doesn't have Di2 shifting and it's a 2019. It has been a great bike for me and I really like it. I like to ride fast but I am not a bike racer. The disc brakes are great as is the carbon fiber frame. 52-36 up front and the rear cassette that's 11-30 work very well. Two thumbs up from me!
Old 02-18-20, 03:05 PM
Wilfred Laurier
Señor Member

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 649 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 215 Posts
Both look great. The CDN webpages list their MSRPs with the Giant being almost $2k less than the Specialized. I cannot see what the extra money goes to.
Old 02-19-20, 11:04 AM
Slightspeed

Bikes: 1964 Legnano Roma Olympiade, 1973 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Raleigh Super Course, 1978 Peugeot PR10, 2002 Specialized Allez, 2007 Specialized Roubaix, 2013 Culprit Croz Blade

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 741 Post(s)
Liked 818 Times in 421 Posts
I'm a Specialized fan from way back, with an Allez and a Roubaix, but my friend just showed up with this new Trek Madone, which is pretty cool, and seems to have the specs you want. Not to confuse things but life is all about choices. My last new bike was from 2013, but i like the looks of this one.
Likes For Slightspeed:
Old 02-22-20, 06:47 AM
Lrdchaos

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
I went through the exact same process last summer, I was looking at the tcr advance pro 0 disc, Tarmac expert, and trek Madone. In the end it came down to money and which shop was willing to deal. I walked out with the TCR and haven’t looked back. It’s responsive, fast, smooth and looks great. I’m a firm believer that when you get into that range of bike they will all perform, so buy what you like best. I’m a deal guy so I will ride whatever i can get the best deal on.