Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Mystery mixte gets a do-over... again

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Mystery mixte gets a do-over... again

Search this Thread

Old 04-28-24, 08:58 AM
Kona_stig

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Mystery mixte (Jeunet?) gets a do-over... again

Funny thing about growing up in the internet age... sometimes you end up finding old forum accounts that you haven't used since you were a literal child. Yikes. ANYWAY, the mixte.

I'll start with the back story: I bought this old single speed/coaster brake mixte back in 2011 or so.

I commuted on it for a while then eventually moved and the bike sat outside for an extended period (). At some point I decided that it deserved better so I revived it with some fresh parts and a color change....

... Then, on the 3rd ride, got cut off in town by a 1 ton pickup and caught the trailer hitch with my front wheel and put an end to that. This event rather dampened my interest in riding in town so the bike went back to sitting unused (indoors, at least) In time I found a cheap front wheel but never really ended up riding it much. Then, in 2022, I sold the bike to make space. I'm really a modern MTB guy, after all. That brings us to about a week ago when I happened to see it listed on fb Marketplace and immediately bought it back.

Getting stuff together to give it a do-over... again. Since originality is LONG out the window (before I bought it) I'm not too worried about it. Its just here for the vibes. Already ordered a shorter stem and upright bars (for comfort) and some side pull brakes (for dodging trucks), and would like to add a internally geared hub at some point for a little practicality boost. A repaint is also in order, probably sticking to a similar color.

​​​​​​​

Last edited by Kona_stig; 04-30-24 at 06:41 PM.
Likes For Kona_stig:
Old 04-28-24, 09:13 AM
Kona_stig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Now on to what brought me here today - identification. When I bought this bike I was old that it was "old" and "French", and not much else. It had no decals of any kind and I find no serial numbers, at least none legible. This was reason enough for me to slap a Peugeot headtube badge on it and never think about it again.

Well, not curiosity has gotten the better of me and I ended up finding this: https://store.bicycleczar.com/55cm-J...p/10120183.htm

I'm now thinking that what I have is, in fact, a Jeunet much like the blue one linked above.

I have not found another bike with such similar detailing on the lugs or the same design of the rear dropouts.

And so, i come with two questions:

1) is anyone able to confirm or deny my suspicions?
2) is it possible to get replacement Jeunet decals? I'd love to at least get the headtube badge.

Thanks!

Last edited by Kona_stig; 04-28-24 at 09:23 AM.
Likes For Kona_stig:
Old 04-28-24, 11:42 AM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 816 Post(s)
Liked 1,037 Times in 674 Posts
Nice job on the bike and good story. The head tube lugs match up, but, it looks like the rear dropout is slightly different. It could be that Jeunet changed the rear dropout design slightly. It could be one of the smaller builders around St. Etienne or elsewhere.

We are going to need more pictures to solve this mystery. Detailed pictures.

Although, the bike would be just as much fun without the mystery solved if it comes down to it.
Old 04-28-24, 12:05 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 2,250 Posts
I love a good mixte revival story. Versatile bikes deserve multiple chapters (if needed) for a full life in different hands.

No need to ask how I know.

Been robbed of a few parts, by prior owner(s?), but a relatively gentle life for 40+ years. Now with a kid’s seat at daughter’s house.

Some applications do not require 531, or butted - just a good saddle and fun companion riders.

Last edited by Wildwood; 04-28-24 at 03:53 PM.
Likes For Wildwood:
Old 04-28-24, 12:47 PM
Kona_stig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Here are some additional up close photos. Happy to keep going if there are any other spots that would be helpful!

"5287" is the only marking I can find anywhere on the frame
Likes For Kona_stig:
Old 04-28-24, 12:59 PM
Kona_stig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Wildwood
I love a good mixte revival story. Versatile bikes deserve multiple chapters (if needed) for a full life in different hands.

No need to ask how I know.

Been robbed of a few parts, but a gentle life for 40+ years. Now with a kid’s seat at daughter’s house.

Some applications do not require 531, or butted - just a good saddle and fun companion riders.
Love it! Thats good, since this one has quite a habit of getting revived....
Old 04-30-24, 06:44 PM
Kona_stig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Posting for my own notes, I have come across this thread featuring another presumed Jeunet which appears to have a serial number stamped into the dropout simar to my frame.

Old 04-30-24, 08:39 PM
Velo Mule

Bikes: Trek 800 x 2, Schwinn Heavy Duti, Schwinn Traveler, Schwinn Le Tour Luxe, Schwinn Continental, Cannondale M400 and Lambert, Schwinn Super Sport

Originally Posted by Kona_stig
Posting for my own notes, I have come across this thread featuring another presumed Jeunet which appears to have a serial number stamped into the dropout simar to my frame.

Well, were getting closer. It looks like a similar positioning and angle for the serial number. We need a French bike expert to nail it down.

Or you could just say "You know - I think it's a Jeunet".
Old 05-01-24, 02:12 AM
SurferRosa
señor miembro

Bikes: '70s - '80s Campagnolo

Mentioned: 92 Post(s)
Quoted: 3918 Post(s)
Liked 6,543 Times in 3,245 Posts
Remove the seatpost and post it here:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...ou-set-up.html
Likes For SurferRosa:
Old 05-01-24, 05:37 AM
Kona_stig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Mule

Or you could just say "You know - I think it's a Jeunet".
I am open to suggestions otherwise until I manage to find replacement decals, at which point I will be committed to it being a Jeunet in perpetuity
Old 05-01-24, 04:24 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3915 Post(s)
Liked 4,876 Times in 2,250 Posts
Just say, "Ya know, I just love these vintage mixte bikes. So many have a mystery history.."
Old 05-01-24, 05:25 PM
John E
feros ferio

Bikes: 1959 Capo Modell Campagnolo; 1960 Capo Sieger (2); 1962 Carlton Franco Suisse; 1970 Peugeot UO-8; 1982 Bianchi Campione d'Italia; 1988 Schwinn Project KOM-10;

Mentioned: 44 Post(s)
Quoted: 1399 Post(s)
Liked 1,345 Times in 849 Posts
Just say, "Ya know, I just love these vintage mixte bikes. So many have a mystery history.."
How many have a "mixte" history?
Peugeot: 1970 UO-8, S/N 0010468
Bianchi: 1982 Campione d'Italia, S/N 1.M9914
Schwinn: 1988 Project KOM-10, S/N F804069
Old 05-03-24, 10:31 AM
Kona_stig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Uh, well.

I guess that's a wrap.
Old 05-03-24, 03:42 PM
Velo Mule

Oh, damn. What happened?

Save some part for the next project.
Old 05-03-24, 05:25 PM
Kona_stig

Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Coaster brake did more coasting than braking down a small but steep hill, which I've previously ridden multiple times on this bike without issue. What's really weird to me is that what I hit was a remarkably soft pile of gravel at fairly low speed - I'm very surprised that the bike sustained that amount of damage from the impact it had.

The show must go on! I guess it won't be a mystery anymore.

Im going to apologize in advance for changing the color of an original one, but I already deeply overpaid for paint so we are committed to the vision.