Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Old Peugot with no seatpost, how hard to find 24mm AND Tall.?

Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Old 08-12-19, 04:45 PM
Conforama

Bikes: Well, that's why I'm here. ; )

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just acquired a Peugeot NS22. Good condition if a bit dusty, pedals and shifts. Tires stay inflated (5 days now). No idea if the light works.

BUT, it has no seatpost. Needs a 24mm diameter, but also, since it's a smaller frame/tire, I need a very tall post too. I'm 6'2. Seems reasonable, I see a lot of these tiny frames and wheels with LOOONG seatpost attached everywhere (I call them paratrooper bikes).

I've looked at some threads, where 24mm is pretty hard to find anyway, but that was for "normal" posts for bigger frames.

The bike was pretty cheap (^^^^ is probably why), willing to put some effort money in (assuming the post may end up costing more than the bike).

Thoughts?
Old 08-13-19, 06:33 AM
rhenning

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 262 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
24mm Is 15/16 of an inch and I suspect you can find steel tubing in that size. Other choice is 1 inch aluminum bar stock cut down to 24mm on one end and 7/8 on the other so the seat clamp fits it. Machine the 24mm part for several inches so that the seat can be raised up and down. The other choice is Google and EBay. Roger
Old 08-13-19, 03:55 PM
arbee

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Whenever I see the name "Peugeot", I'm reminded: before Peugeot manufactured bicycles and cars, it manufactured pepper mills. They're considered amongst the world's best. I own Peugeot pepper mills; they're really good. I've also owned a Peugeot bicycle and been a passenger in Peugeot cars. Perhaps Peugeot should have stuck to pepper mills.
Old 08-14-19, 05:30 AM
tomtomtom123

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 98 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
24mm seatpost seems to be available if you do a Google search in German Sattelstütze 24. These 3 seem similar. All 350mm long.
https://www.simon-bikes.de/zubehoer/...chmesser-24-mm
https://www.sella-berolinum.de/shop-...tze-alu-silber
https://www.radgeber-brieselang.de/P...a-/-Diamant-ua

This one without the clamp. 400mm.
https://www.amazon.de/W01050609-Kerz...dp/B014FS3522/

This one without a clamp and without diameter reduction. 400mm.
https://www.amazon.de/CicloSportMark...dp/B072BDMJ1G/
Old 08-14-19, 05:52 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: 1980 Mike Melton, 1982 Stumpjumper, 1982 Santana, 1984 Alex Moulton AM, 2008 BikeFriday tikit T-11, 2010 Dawes Briercliffe, 2017 Dahon Curl i5, 2019 Surly ˝DT14

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 553 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by Conforama View Post
Tires stay inflated (5 days now).
I don't know how old these tires might be, but very old tires often have non-visible carcass deterioration and fail in short order when aired up and put back into service. Well, tires and tubes are expendable items, anyway. Let's hope they're not an obscure French size.

No idea if the light works.
Even if photons come out, the old light is likely to be stunningly dim. The cycle lights from times past weren't bright when new, and time doesn't improve that.

Peugeot has been in the folding bicycle business longer than anyone, having started back in the late-1890s! From their 1899 catalog:

Old 08-14-19, 08:44 AM
Conforama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rhenning View Post
24mm Is 15/16 of an inch and I suspect you can find steel tubing in that size. Other choice is 1 inch aluminum bar stock cut down to 24mm on one end and 7/8 on the other so the seat clamp fits it. Machine the 24mm part for several inches so that the seat can be raised up and down. The other choice is Google and EBay. Roger
Thanks. I know an older thread had someone who was milling seatposts, but that was 2-3 years ago. Will have to track down a metal shop.

I was surprised at the bike shops near me, in freakin' Brooklyn, were so flummoxed. Seems their idea of "specializing in rare and vintage bikes" extends to maybe the 90s?
Old 08-14-19, 08:47 AM
Conforama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tcs View Post
I don't know how old these tires might be, but very old tires often have non-visible carcass deterioration and fail in short order when aired up and put back into service. Well, tires and tubes are expendable items, anyway. Let's hope they're not an obscure French size.

Oh, they are an unusual size, but luckily they've been replaced from original.
Old 08-14-19, 08:49 AM
Conforama

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by tomtomtom123 View Post
24mm seatpost seems to be available if you do a Google search in German Sattelstütze 24. These 3 seem similar. All 350mm long.

This one without the clamp. 400mm.

This one without a clamp and without diameter reduction. 400mm.

THANK YOU! I might just go this route instead of having something fabricated,..
Old 08-14-19, 01:34 PM
Depaso

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
22.2 mm BMX seatpost, with adapter shim.