Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lightening up a kid's mtb

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lightening up a kid's mtb

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-16, 04:44 PM
boomcatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Greetings

Hi, folks. New to the forum - and a beginner to biking. I'll be hoping to glean some pointers from y'all to bring home to the family, as myself, my wife and our two kids (ages 8 and 5) are just starting to get into biking together.

Thanks!
Lew

Last edited by boomcatt; 08-05-16 at 05:08 PM.
Old 08-05-16, 06:10 PM
Viich
Hack

Bikes: TrueNorth CX bike, 88 Bianchi Strada (currently Sturmey'd), Yess World Cup race BMX, Pure Cruiser race BMX, RSD Mayor v3 Fatbike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 190 Times in 132 Posts
Originally Posted by boomcatt
Hi, folks. New to the forum - and a beginner to biking. I'll be hoping to glean some pointers from y'all to bring home to the family, as myself, my wife and our two kids (ages 8 and 5) are just starting to get into biking together.

Thanks!
Lew
Get a lighter one - not much of a silver bullet for upgrades. Many kids' bikes have heavy, lower quality steel frames, heavy but cheap one piece cranks, etc. The frame is made for those cranks, a 3 piece won't fit without a heavy adaptor.

The spawn cycles bikes look awesome, but are a significant expenditure. The specialized hotrock is decent, and there are others that are a big step up from most of the Walmart/ Canadian Tire bikes. My little guys have a hotrock 16 and a Giant Modo 20" BMX style.
Old 08-05-16, 06:21 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7652 Post(s)
Liked 3,473 Times in 1,834 Posts
I'd say the best bet and possibly most important thing would be to keep it simple. Most children aren't going to be riding such that they really need full suspension, and as far as I know there aren't any kids' bikes that Really offer suspension ... just expensive, underbuilt bits and pieces that look like suspension.

If the only way to please the kids is to buy them overweight pseudo-suspension junk, go ahead ... they will need new bikes next year anyway, likely. But if you can convince them to ride normal bikes, in the end they would probably have just as much fun and actually More capacity to beat up the bikes---because the steel won't bend where the fake, mostly plastic pseudo-suspension bits would break.

I know lots of kids spent lots of decades beating the crap out of their rigid steel-framed Murrays, and Huffys and Sturmey Archers or whatever, jumping and crashing, jumping off and crashing, riding trails and tarmac and lawns and over curbs and Never did I see one of those bikes break. Kids today can't be doing anything more radical than all that, and those fake-suspension bikes certainly aren't any stronger.

As you can see I know nothing about children and not much about bikes, sorry.
Old 08-06-16, 10:19 AM
DorkDisk

Bikes: Ritchey Swiss Cross | Teesdale Kona Hot | Haro Extreme | Specialized Stumpjumper Comp | Cannondale F1000 | Shogun 1000 | Cannondale M500 | Norco Charger | Marin Muirwoods 29er | Shogun Kaze | Breezer Lightning

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 576 Post(s)
Liked 1,001 Times in 488 Posts
Just wait six months and your child will outgrow the bike
Old 08-07-16, 01:39 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,105 Times in 1,369 Posts
@boomcatt

Strange edits in this thread. I'd wanted to respond but had to leave, finally made it back. I recall the bike in the OP before the edit was a 2000-ish vintage Hotrock. If so there are a couple of inexpensive and high-payoff changes you can make if you are normally handy with mechanic tools. The handlebars and stem are steel and can be replaced with aluminum. The seat post might be, too, and even if it's aluminum you can surely find a lighter one.

Anything beyond that becomes a project, though. The components are inexpensive and heavy but not junk, they should work fine unless they are worn out or rusted up, and finding lightweight parts in kids sizes costs a premium.
Genesis 49:16-17
Old 08-08-16, 11:01 AM
boomcatt

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, thanks for the advice -- and sorry for the weird edits on this post. After posting the original post, i realized that the "introductions" forum is not meant as the place to seek advice, so I moved the OP to the "Mountain Bikes" thread.
Old 08-08-16, 11:43 AM
SkyDog75

Bikes: Bianchi San Mateo and a few others

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 634 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
I recall the bike in the OP before the edit was a 2000-ish vintage Hotrock. If so there are a couple of inexpensive and high-payoff changes you can make if you are normally handy with mechanic tools. The handlebars and stem are steel and can be replaced with aluminum. The seat post might be, too, and even if it's aluminum you can surely find a lighter one.
My daughter rode a '98 Hotrock 24 around for a couple of years. I believe the handlebar was aluminum. The seatpost definitely was. The crankset had aluminum arms but steel chainrings. You could potentially save a pound or two by swapping out all the replaceable parts, but you'd wind up spending as much on upgrades as you would on another used bike and it's still gonna be heavy. That frame's a tank.

But my daughter loved that tank just like I loved my first Huffy BMX bike when I was a kid. She didn't know it was heavier than nice adult bikes.