Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Advice when buying a second hand steel frame?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Advice when buying a second hand steel frame?

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-24, 06:03 AM
Millstone

Bikes: Might as well, now that I am here...

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 66 Posts
I have one that I build up from a bare (2nd hand) frameset. Indeed, very satisfying. :-)
But if possible: buy a frame with the headset. I found that the most difficult part with home-brew tools. Next time I'll have it installed by a LBS (I'd normally do that but this was a good opportunity to try it out).
Rest of the tools you might need you either already have, or are low cost.

Good luck! Have fun. Learn. Be proud of what you build and stay safe.
Old 04-15-24, 06:10 AM
BTinNYC 

Bikes: Bicycles? Yup.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 1,593 Times in 739 Posts
These things are important to me with an old frame that I want build out; room for 32mm tires, BSA bottom bracket, and the chainstay cable stop mounted on the bottom. I prefer brazed-on shifter bosses and 2 bottle cage mounts. Since you're starting from scratch, you can use 650B rims to fit wider tires on racy frame.

I find 32mm tires very comfortable yet fast, and I want a modern (2x9 - 2x12) drivetrain.
Likes For BTinNYC:
Old 04-15-24, 06:44 AM
ImagineZH

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 1989Pre
From the type-of riding you have described, and because you have made it a priority to learn from this build, one observation is that you do not need a top-level frame of 531 or Columbus. What make/model was your older bike that met its match? Do you want to create something similar? Although some have advised against "french-threaded" bikes, there are some great (and inexpensive) French frames out there, and if you buy one with the bottom bracket and headset already installed, you should be fine. If you buy over the internet, remind the seller to take extra care in packing, especially chocking the dropouts and fork ends.
Older bike was a Dawes Audax Giro, as below (not my bike or photo, though mine was the same frame)

Which reminds me, I still have that bike (it died due to excessive rust). I could surely reuse a lot of the parts on it.
Likes For ImagineZH:
Old 04-15-24, 06:45 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 980 Times in 651 Posts
I will put my two cents here. First check for corrosion at the bottom bracket, head tube, seat post and see also if there are no craks whether on welds or lugs, deep gouges or dents are also an indicator to be wary of.The Reynolds 531C or 531P are some of my favorite much more than the SL and SLX. Also be careful of tire clearance. The first frame would be my choice because of the 130mm rear spacing which gives you the ability to ride a modern group on it.
Likes For georges1:
Old 04-15-24, 06:57 AM
ImagineZH

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Actually, while we're here I might as well ask. This is my old frame two of my LBS said is unfixable. Is this a fair assessment, or a bit cautious? (I can understand them not wanting to waste their time on something like this)
Spoiler

Old 04-15-24, 07:05 AM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,981 Posts
Originally Posted by ImagineZH
Actually, while we're here I might as well ask. This is my old frame two of my LBS said is unfixable. Is this a fair assessment, or a bit cautious? (I can understand them not wanting to waste their time on something like this)
Spoiler

De rust and see if there’s enough tube left. Especially in that second picture.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Likes For jdawginsc:
Old 04-15-24, 07:09 AM
soyabean

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
I love looking at other folk's "long term projects" here on BF.

I live out my restoration dreams thru them, while I waste my time on pure cycling.

Good pics, keep me posted
Old 04-15-24, 07:26 AM
ImagineZH

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by soyabean
I love looking at other folk's "long term projects" here on BF.

I live out my restoration dreams thru them, while I waste my time on pure cycling.

Good pics, keep me posted
There's enough time in one's life for both, right? I can cycle when I like, and then when I want something more hands on I can try build the bike. Or should every minute not spend posting on bikeforums.net be spent cycling?
Likes For ImagineZH:
Old 04-15-24, 07:34 AM
ImagineZH

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by jdawginsc
De rust and see if there’s enough tube left. Especially in that second picture.
Tried with sandpaper for a while but was getting nowhere. Then tried with some sort of acid (can't remember its name) which is supposedly good for rust, but I had other problems there. I've tried with that frame, but there were a lot of problems that kept coming up (e.g. the seatpost is stuck and my LBS couldn't remove it either, and the bottom bracket is stuck too)
Old 04-15-24, 07:37 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 966 Posts
Eh, the frame is probably, usable. If you want a project and you like it one could repaint. The epoxy paints are very durable.
Old 04-15-24, 07:37 AM
slow rollin

Bikes: n+1

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 27 Posts
Spoiler

Found your project

Jokes aside the LBS probably told you it's unfixable due to a cost+liability issue. The only way for you to know how it is is to sand it down, and find out how it is. Just fixing that or even finding out what's underneath the rust is a good start, then you will know if you can repair and ride or get a new frame with similar capabilities.
I like to have a bike project on the backburner most of the time, so I look frequently and pick up cheap deals that don't have the best listing, or paintjob. Then I get to it when I want.
Likes For slow rollin:
Old 04-15-24, 07:42 AM
IdahoBrett 

Bikes: Aluminum and Steel

Quoted: 108 Post(s)
Liked 385 Times in 144 Posts
There's enough time in one's life for both, right? I can cycle when I like, and then when I want something more hands on I can try build the bike. Or should every minute not spend posting on bikeforums.net be spent cycling?
You should do all those things. I do and suspect many others do as well. Spending time here on BF will give you ideas you might not have thought of otherwise. Such as component selection, derusting products, polishing products and processes for both. Best of all you might learn of bike brands/models that you didn’t know existed. Your collection will grow if you keep coming back here. The knowledge and generosity of members here is unparalleled in any hobby that I’ve been involved with. Enjoy it your way at your own pace.
Likes For IdahoBrett:
Old 04-15-24, 07:46 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3515 Post(s)
Liked 2,930 Times in 1,777 Posts
Or should every minute not spend posting on bikeforums.net be spent cycling?
There is definitely a group on these boards who look down on anyone who does anything with bikes other than ride them. They think they're superior beings because of the miles they log.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-15-24, 07:55 AM
Mr. 66

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 1143 Post(s)
Liked 1,760 Times in 966 Posts
Oh stuck post and bb?! Kroil or PB Blaster will assist on the removals. Heat can help also.

Im wondering if the lbs actually tried removing the bb, most if not all shops won’t quote a stick post removal. I’m not surprised they did want to touch.

Back in the day I used a roto-stripper. It’s a drill attachment, it came in 3 different wire gaged wheels. It’s like a media blaster. There are other type of drill abrasive attachments, I just don’t know those products’ brands. An old school light wire brush can handle rust.
Likes For Mr. 66:
Old 04-15-24, 07:56 AM
ImagineZH

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by slow rollin
Found your project

Jokes aside the LBS probably told you it's unfixable due to a cost+liability issue. The only way for you to know how it is is to sand it down, and find out how it is. Just fixing that or even finding out what's underneath the rust is a good start, then you will know if you can repair and ride or get a new frame with similar capabilities.
I like to have a bike project on the backburner most of the time, so I look frequently and pick up cheap deals that don't have the best listing, or paintjob. Then I get to it when I want.
Yeah I think liability was a part of it too - he wouldn't even fix a small issue on the brakes because he didn't want to be somehow tied to the bike!

Maybe I should give this bike another go and if I get nothing from it, I'll move on. Any ideas with the seized/rusted/worn/stuck bottom bracket?
Likes For ImagineZH:
Old 04-15-24, 08:53 AM
soyabean

Quoted: 544 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 275 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. 66
Im wondering if the lbs actually tried removing the bb, most if not all shops won’t quote a stick post removal. I’m not surprised they did want to touch.
Shops don't want to have an unsuccessful attempt and return the frame with a now chewed up seatpost, where the Karens and Kens will tell the manager "well it wasn't like that when I left the bike here."

I always remove impossible BB's with my mapp torch. This does burn the area, but that's more forgiving to get a client to agree to since it gets all covered by the crankset upon assembly.
Old 04-15-24, 12:55 PM
Aardwolf
Wheelman

Bikes: 1982 Holdsworth Avanti (531), 1961 Holdsworth Cyclone

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 298 Post(s)
Liked 676 Times in 341 Posts
I'd definitely try removing the rust to see what the frame is really like.

Here's one I bought:

Ebay advert

Attacked it with oxalic acid then rust remover then a dremel with a wire brush

Likes For Aardwolf:
Old 04-15-24, 01:13 PM
ImagineZH

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Aardwolf
I'd definitely try removing the rust to see what the frame is really like.

Here's one I bought:

Ebay advert

Attacked it with oxalic acid then rust remover then a dremel with a wire brush

That looked so much like my bike in the first photo that I wasn't actually sure that you didn't just reuse my photo. Good to see something can (sometimes) be done!
Likes For ImagineZH:
Old 04-15-24, 02:33 PM
jdawginsc 
Edumacator

Bikes: '87 Crestdale, '87 Basso Gap, '92 Rossin Performance EL-OS, 1990 VanTuyl, 1980s Losa, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 1987 PX10, etc...

Mentioned: 59 Post(s)
Quoted: 2446 Post(s)
Liked 3,149 Times in 1,981 Posts
36mm 18-20” long combination wrench affixed to flats with bolt and wagers/bits.. Clamping works as well...

Kroil. Kroil. Then let it rip. You can actually get a breaker extension to it as well.
1987 Crest Cannondale, 1987 Basso Gap, 1992 Rossin Performance EL, 1990ish Van Tuyl, 1985 Trek 670, 1982 AD SLE, 2003 Pinarello Surprise, 1990ish MBK Atlantique, 1987 Peugeot Competition, 1987 Nishiki Tri-A, 1981 Faggin, 1996 Cannondale M500, 1984 Mercian, 1982 AD SuperLeicht, 1985 Massi (model unknown), 1988 Daccordi Griffe , 1989 Fauxsin MTB, 1981 Ciocc Mockba, 1992 Bianchi Giro, 1977 Colnago Super

Old 04-15-24, 09:35 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1227 Post(s)
Liked 3,561 Times in 1,412 Posts
What a fun thread.

What is that rusty frame tubing made from? The thinner the tubing (typically, the higher the quality), the more compromised a frame can get from corrosion. One of the benefits of riding a super thick, chunky gas pipe framed bike

OP, that frame is likely save-able, but sometimes we also want a new project! There are a zillion different directions you can take it. Are you located in a place other than the USA? If so, maybe you can tell us what type of bikes or bike projects you have access to and that will help.

Likes For AdventureManCO:
Old 04-16-24, 02:45 AM
ImagineZH

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
What a fun thread.

What is that rusty frame tubing made from? The thinner the tubing (typically, the higher the quality), the more compromised a frame can get from corrosion. One of the benefits of riding a super thick, chunky gas pipe framed bike

OP, that frame is likely save-able, but sometimes we also want a new project! There are a zillion different directions you can take it. Are you located in a place other than the USA? If so, maybe you can tell us what type of bikes or bike projects you have access to and that will help.
I've enjoyed it too, I did not expect this level of feedback, it's been great.

The older bike is Reynolds 531C. I'm in Switzerland and there are some second hand selling websites where I could source a frame or a full bike, and/or plenty of parts.

Something I forgot to mention until now, is that the older bike frame did already break once. But it was quite a clean break (right through the tube, on the down tube, near where the downtube shifters would be - presumably from a front on crash I had once with a car). But I know a guy who knew a guy who welded it back together and it lasted years after.
Old 04-16-24, 03:49 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,403 Times in 2,059 Posts
Yeah I think liability was a part of it too - he wouldn't even fix a small issue on the brakes because he didn't want to be somehow tied to the bike!

Maybe I should give this bike another go and if I get nothing from it, I'll move on. Any ideas with the seized/rusted/worn/stuck bottom bracket?
Old 04-16-24, 04:47 AM
top506
Death fork? Naaaah!!

Bikes: Seriously downsizing.

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 559 Post(s)
Liked 631 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by abdon
You must be young at this game, most of us could get a frame in the morning and be riding it in the evening just from the parts laying around. Then we get into our heads that we want to make it original and that's when the insanity starts...
Stealing this.......

(looking for a picture and not seeing it? Thank the Photobucket fiasco.PM me and I'll link it up.)
Old 04-16-24, 07:17 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 1858 Post(s)
Liked 664 Times in 506 Posts
Originally Posted by repechage
At least they are in the same size range.

map out what are the requirements. Geometry musts. Tire size preferences. Assuming 700c or tubulars.
Who will be doing the assembly?

in general, a complete bike will be less expensive. Purchase, adjust to fit as needed, adapt to it and note how the handling differs from what you otherwise have or recall.
a whole bike will provide answers quickly, then move to the next with some basis of comparison.
As. professional systems engineer, I think mapping out requirements can become way too complex, though I try to do it. But I have near 60 years experience, and repechage (I imagine) more, certainly in most aspects. I’ve recently bought a Mercian King of Mercia, about 1975, long and graceful. My concerns were size/fit, clearances for my intended gearings (Campy 2 or 3 in front and 8 through 11 in back with caliper brakes), and fender eyelets. Now maybe that’s all the requirements definition that I need, but it’s my experience that lets me make these choices very quickly,

To the Thread Starter, I learned not by starting with frames, but with bicycles that I liked. I would think about how to recognize when a bike is like that well-loved old one. Buy that example as new as you can, and use friends, books, people like us, and online resources (Lennard Zinn, RJ the Bike Guy, or a repair class in a Community Education program local to you) to set up, adjust, fine tune, and maintain that complete bicycle.

This way you get to discover, ride, learn and see more of the world sooner, spending only the minimum on bike shop labor fees.

Also I don’t know if it’s available, but the websites by an old-timer here, Randy Jawa, addressed these matters brilliantly, if you can find them.

How old would your ideal road bike be? In the early 1970s there were a lot of pretty good-riding bikes from Italy, notably Atala, Fiorelli, Bianchi, and Bottecchia, I suggest these over French bikes because of the concerns over French threaded parts. but these are all friction shifted bikes.