Go Back  Bike Forums > The Lounge > Foo
Reload this Page >

Hints for the newly or soon-to-be laid off

Notices
Foo Off-Topic chit chat with no general subject.

Hints for the newly or soon-to-be laid off

Old 04-28-15, 09:33 AM
ToastedBread

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
More people need to think like this more.

4) accept that NO job is truly beneath you when it comes to survival money so file pride away immediately

I've seen so many people turn down jobs because it doesn't "pay enough" or "isn't in my goal plan", well, when you're not making any money... how else are you going to support yourself?
Old 04-28-15, 06:01 PM
ahsposo 
Juicy Member

Bikes: A Home Built All Rounder, Bianchi 928, Specialized Langster, Dahon Folder

Mentioned: 23 Post(s)
Quoted: 3322 Post(s)
Liked 213 Times in 141 Posts
Originally Posted by ToastedBread View Post

4) accept that NO job is truly beneath you when it comes to survival money so file pride away immediately

I've seen so many people turn down jobs because it doesn't "pay enough" or "isn't in my goal plan", well, when you're not making any money... how else are you going to support yourself?
Doesn't every good person have a trust fund? It's only evil people that are poor.

That's what Creflo Dollar says and he's a Christian man of God.
Old 04-29-15, 08:41 AM
MillCreek
BF Risk Manager

Bikes: Road, mountain and folding

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

When I lost my executive job in healthcare management in January 2009, I made a determination that I was not going to relocate for family reasons. I would have been working again in two weeks had I wanted to move across the country. There are not a lot of jobs in my profession in the best of times in the Seattle area, so after three months of looking, I accepted a related job paying half of what I was making earlier. This allowed me to keep busy and pay the mortgage and so now, six years and two jobs later, I am making about 85% of what I was before in a much better setting in my specialty area.

I had read a lot at the time about other displaced executives holding out for another job at the same level and salary, and after months or years of looking and burning through their savings and retirement plans and having to sell the house, were happy to get a job stocking shelves at Safeway. So I made up my mind that anything that I could get that allowed me to pay the bills, and was still in local healthcare, I would take.
Old 05-17-15, 01:51 AM
Mr. Markets
Who has a good sense of humor for going along with my little April Fool Gag (The Admin)

Bikes: Longbikes Slipstream

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 2984 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Good on you for doing what it took to maintain what was most important to you.

I hope you're saving up some bucks and keeping debt down, because I believe by no later that mid-2017 we go off the cliff again. Central bankers think they can control all. Central bankers are always proven wrong.

Originally Posted by MillCreek View Post
When I lost my executive job in healthcare management in January 2009, I made a determination that I was not going to relocate for family reasons. I would have been working again in two weeks had I wanted to move across the country. There are not a lot of jobs in my profession in the best of times in the Seattle area, so after three months of looking, I accepted a related job paying half of what I was making earlier. This allowed me to keep busy and pay the mortgage and so now, six years and two jobs later, I am making about 85% of what I was before in a much better setting in my specialty area.

I had read a lot at the time about other displaced executives holding out for another job at the same level and salary, and after months or years of looking and burning through their savings and retirement plans and having to sell the house, were happy to get a job stocking shelves at Safeway. So I made up my mind that anything that I could get that allowed me to pay the bills, and was still in local healthcare, I would take.
Old 05-17-15, 02:01 AM
Wolf Dust
Anywhere I roam

Bikes: Three blind bikes

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Walmart*
Old 05-24-15, 09:29 AM
zondervan

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It is not surprising to me but quite depressing to find this thread here. I'll be in this position at the end of June.
Old 06-12-15, 07:16 PM
Artkansas 
Pedaled too far.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I've seen so many people turn down jobs because it doesn't "pay enough", well, when you're not making any money... how else are you going to support yourself?
Well, if a job doesn't pay the bills, which many of the minimum wage jobs don't, you're still not supporting yourself, so it's a hard choice. How fast do you want to go downhill? Many jobs on the bottom want to give you 15 hours a week, but expect you to be on call 7 days a week for any shift.

I don't begrudge anyone their choices.

Originally Posted by Bjforrestal View Post
I don't care if you are on a unicycle, as long as you're not using a motor to get places you get props from me. We're here to support each other. Share ideas, and motivate one another to actually keep doing it.
Old 05-20-16, 04:54 AM
Drchopper8
Banned

Bikes: H40 Stinger (E Chopper), Electric Stingray, Felt Scythe, Giant Cypress, Micargi Prado Electric, too many to list.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Getting rid of automobile expenses is a real stress reliever. Having just one family car is smart.
I can see this thread being perfect in the BikeForum
Old 07-25-16, 10:51 PM
GP 

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by CbadRider View Post
Will you be the guy who works the nets on the bait boats?
It's 2.5 years later and I just realized what you're referring to. You surprise me.

Anyways, I gave notice on that job today. I inherited a bad situation and turned it around. Now it's time to move on.
Old 06-19-17, 09:32 AM
Lars Honeytoast

Bikes: Motobecane road bike, Fixed gear, Peugeot Verona hybrid (gravel build), Kettler Flair

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just escaped being unemployed, Ive been working at my LBS as a learning mechanic for 2 years and have been seeing the signs that the business is going down and acting very unprofessional. The owners were trying to cut my hours and have cut my pay without even a notice.

I just recently landed a apprenticeship at a hotel, kind of disappointing I wont go further in bicycle mechanics in my situation I needed something fast and a little more stable, winters are harsh on bike shops. I plan on doing little repairs out of my basement for bike travelers though.
Old 04-29-18, 10:11 AM
StarBiker

Bikes: Trek 2500, Gary Fisher Cobia, Cannondale Super V400

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 588 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have worked two years, not consecutively in the last 12. The job market stinks unless you are young, and educated.
I said it in another forum and got an odd response, but over half of the population will not go on to higher education and complete a degree. So than what?
Old 01-15-19, 07:51 AM
shibata

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
k thx shutdown
Old 09-27-19, 04:32 PM
coffeesnob

Bikes: Trek DS 8.3 - cannondale M500

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 2441 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Thread doesn't get much interest anymore...