Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Suggestions for a CO2 cartridge pump?

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 05-17-19, 05:05 AM
deepakvrao

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts

Search showed only some old threads. I have a couple of inexpensive Decathlon ones, which do the job, but wanted something which would be able to release only part of the CO2, so that the cartridge could be saved for another use in case of another flat on the same ride. Anything that does that?
Old 05-17-19, 06:27 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4729 Post(s)
Liked 1,531 Times in 1,002 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
Search showed only some old threads. I have a couple of inexpensive Decathlon ones, which do the job, but wanted something which would be able to release only part of the CO2, so that the cartridge could be saved for another use in case of another flat on the same ride. Anything that does that?
Not sure what you're thinking exactly, as most CO2s have only about enough gas to inflate one tube, OTOH, there may be sense in using a CO2 in conjunction with a mini-hand pump.. Eg. use the pump for the first 40psi when it's still easy to pump, use a Co2 for the last half of the inflation and keep half of the Co2 for another top-off.

Anyway, I use the simple and small PDW Shiny object which has a screw valve to start and stop inflation. Works well.
I haven't tested it for how long it holds the CO2 contents after installation though.

PDW Shiny Object
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-17-19, 06:55 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
A 16G CO2 cylinder is usually just enough to get a 700x25 to a rideable pressure, so there's generally no CO2 to "save."

But also yes, absolutely the PDW Shiny Object. My favorite.
Old 05-17-19, 07:11 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3897 Post(s)
Liked 4,823 Times in 2,226 Posts
Originally Posted by Sy Reene
Not sure what you're thinking exactly, as most CO2s have only about enough gas to inflate one tube, OTOH, there may be sense in using a CO2 in conjunction with a mini-hand pump.. Eg. use the pump for the first 40psi when it's still easy to pump
+1
I use mini-pump for first 30psi, then CO2. I have blown new tubes trying to go from uninflated to 100psi in under a second.
'Saving' CO2 is a bad idea, IMO.
I use unthreaded cartridges and buy them by the box (24, I think) from sporting goods stores. No need for threaded setups unless you are a weight weenie or have no on-bike storage space
Old 05-17-19, 07:19 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
I use the Lenzyne Twin Speed, small and easy to use. In fact, had to use it on yesterday's group ride, quick and easy.

https://www.amazon.com/LEZYNE-Speed-...r=8-6-fkmrnull
Old 05-17-19, 07:35 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by deepakvrao
something which would be able to release only part of the CO2, so that the cartridge could be saved for another use
Anything with a twist release is going to allow a more controlled release into the tube and can potentially save some of the Co2 for reuse. The nozzle can be twisted, some of the Co2 slowly released and then the nozzle can be shut off. I use a weight weenie model by XLab.

Lezyne Trigger Drive allows short or long bursts.

As a very practical matter the leftover Co2 can release when you don't expect it so don't carry it in your pocket. I had one go "Whooosh!" in my saddle bag as I finished up the ride.

Agree with the others about carrying both a pump and Co2.

Outdoor Gear Lab does great pump reviews: https://www.outdoorgearlab.com/topic...e-pump/ratings

The Lezyne Carbon Road Drive would match your Canyon nicely.

-Tim-
Old 05-17-19, 07:47 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 22571 Post(s)
Liked 8,918 Times in 4,152 Posts
As above, don't worry about "saving" C02 as you use most of it and whatever is left is likely to leak out over the next few weeks anyway.

There are TONS of C02 inflation devices out there and already plenty of threads. My personal preference is one that can take UNTHREADED cartridges which can be bought much more cheaply than the threaded ones.

One final word: if you buy one, use it in your garage first so you are comfortable/familiar with how it works and the technique. All too often I have had a friend try C02 for their first time on the road for a flat and the failure rate is very high in that case.
Old 05-17-19, 07:52 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Originally Posted by Wildwood
+1
I use mini-pump for first 30psi, then CO2. I have blown new tubes trying to go from uninflated to 100psi in under a second.
'Saving' CO2 is a bad idea, IMO.
I use unthreaded cartridges and buy them by the box (24, I think) from sporting goods stores. No need for threaded setups unless you are a weight weenie or have no on-bike storage space
Not sure if there's really a cost savings to unthreaded, but if the OP does want to attempt to save an partial cartridge for the couple hours or so he might have have left on his ride, I might hazard a guess that threaded connectors are more secure and the way to go.
Likes For Sy Reene:
Old 05-17-19, 08:03 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
I have several CO2 inflators for both threaded and unthreaded cartridges. I quit using the unthreaded after I had 2 incidents where the inflator wouldn't puncture the CO2 cartridge. I've never had that issue with the threaded styles.

My favorite inflator is the PDW Shiny Object. Light, well made, and rebuildable but it is a little expensive. A close second is the Planet Bike Red Zeppelin. These are cheap (we picked some up for a bike commuter seminar and gave them away along with a CO2 cartridge.) and really easy to use. I don't like that this one needs to be threaded onto the stem, but most people thought it made it easier to use. Both of these will save the "extra" CO2 - I had the PDW hold pressure for almost 2 months - but realistically a 20g cartridge is just enough to get a 25mm tire to proper riding pressure so there shouldn't be much left to save.
Old 05-17-19, 08:10 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,488 Times in 7,316 Posts
If you ride tubeless there may be times when the contents of the entire cartridge is not need in one shot. Nice to be able to save some in the event of another loss of pressure during the ride.

I have had several CO2 systems over the years. Never have I had one that does not let you control how much gas in released. They have all had some sort of thumb mechanism that you press and release. Currently using an older model from Genuine Innovations:

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/

I would definitely go threaded.

And practicing first is great advice. I too have seen first-time users fail on the road.
Old 05-17-19, 08:16 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Quoted: 20805 Post(s)
Liked 9,448 Times in 4,666 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
If you ride tubeless there may be times when the contents of the entire cartridge is not need in one shot. Nice to be able to save some in the event of another loss of pressure during the ride.
I was under the impression that CO2 and tubeless didn't play together well - is that fake news?
Old 05-17-19, 08:28 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
I like this one from Genuine Innovations.

https://www.genuineinnovations.com/c...-tire-inflator
Old 05-17-19, 08:31 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I was under the impression that CO2 and tubeless didn't play together well - is that fake news?
Sealant and CO2, they do not like each other. I never use CO2 for tubeless, the CO2 is for the emergency tube when things have gone absolutely sideways.

I mean, I've only had to add air from a pump a handful of times, and several of those were because the idiot on the saddle forgot to check the sealant level, got a puncture, and the tire slow-leaked down.
Old 05-17-19, 08:44 AM
JohnJ80

Bikes: N+1=5

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 875 Post(s)
Liked 244 Times in 181 Posts
My new favorite CO2 tool incorporates my other favorite for tubeless tires - Dynaplug. With this inflator, you can plug the tire and inflate it in one motion. Genius. It's also controllable in metering out the CO2. I don't think saving some of the CO2 is all that practical for more than about a half hour or so, but the ability to control it's inrush into the tube is a great deal though.

Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Air Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit

Old 05-17-19, 08:46 AM
indyfabz

I have only topped off tubeless tire with CO2 once. But I see from another post that you speak the truth.
Old 05-17-19, 08:49 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
I think the issue is that Co2 rapidly entering the tire can cause sealant to solidify.

My guess is that inflating with the valve at the six o'clock position should be avoided.

I could be entirely wrong but that is what I seem to remember.

-Tim-
Old 05-17-19, 08:56 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
so I found this from Caffe`latex

https://www.effettomariposa.eu/en/caffelatex-co2/

Good to know
Likes For noodle soup:
Old 05-17-19, 12:45 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

You are. See explanation in the link immediately above. You want as much sealant to flow away from the valve before filling with CO2.
umm.. that's what I'm pretty sure he implied
Old 05-17-19, 12:51 PM
indyfabz

umm.. that's what I'm pretty sure he implied
My bad. I read his post wrong.

Comment deleted.
Old 05-17-19, 12:53 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

My bad. I read his post wrong.
Yes.. and he said to AVOID having the valve at the 6. The opposite of that is the implication of what would be best... valve at the 12
Old 05-17-19, 05:18 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Not sure if there's really a cost savings to unthreaded, but if the OP does want to attempt to save an partial cartridge for the couple hours or so he might have have left on his ride, I might hazard a guess that threaded connectors are more secure and the way to go.

I have a threaded one, and I never really planned on reusing them, because I jsut wouldn't trust the seal for the length of time I go between flats.

BUT, one day after I had a flat, I put the CO2 and 'pump' back in my saddle bag with the CO2 still threaded on, and the valve closed. Months later...found it on there, unscrewed it just assuming it was empty - got a huge WHOOOOOOOSH of CO2 as I unthreaded it. Scared the hell out of me haha.
Old 05-18-19, 03:47 AM
deepakvrao

Thanks guys.

Not really from a POV of cost saving, but running TL, I have had occasion that the leak persists slowly, and I need to refill. I don't use a full cartridge for a fill, so, even though I carry 2, if I can save some it will be worth it. Just for that ride, till I get home.

I am looking at the Lezyne Control Drive.
Old 05-18-19, 03:48 AM
deepakvrao

Originally Posted by JohnJ80
My new favorite CO2 tool incorporates my other favorite for tubeless tires - Dynaplug. With this inflator, you can plug the tire and inflate it in one motion. Genius. It's also controllable in metering out the CO2. I don't think saving some of the CO2 is all that practical for more than about a half hour or so, but the ability to control it's inrush into the tube is a great deal though.

Dynaplug® Online Store | Dynaplug® Air Tubeless Bicycle Tire Repair Kit

Thought of getting that, as I love the Dynaplugs too, but I think that goes in too far for road tyres? I read that somewhere. Have you had occasion to use it?
Old 05-18-19, 03:53 AM
deepakvrao

Not sure what you're thinking exactly, as most CO2s have only about enough gas to inflate one tube, OTOH, there may be sense in using a CO2 in conjunction with a mini-hand pump.. Eg. use the pump for the first 40psi when it's still easy to pump, use a Co2 for the last half of the inflation and keep half of the Co2 for another top-off.

Anyway, I use the simple and small PDW Shiny object which has a screw valve to start and stop inflation. Works well.
I haven't tested it for how long it holds the CO2 contents after installation though.

PDW Shiny Object
Oooh, that looks nice. You think It's better than the Lezyne one?
Old 05-18-19, 07:45 AM
Jack Tone 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 389 Post(s)
Liked 255 Times in 165 Posts
Just found this on Amazon:
https://www.amazon.com/Portable-Infl.../dp/B071G62NDQ
I have something similar from Nashbar that I bought years ago which uses unthreaded cartridges, strangely, never needed to use it.... (yet).

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.