Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Need recommendations for my first fat bike

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Need recommendations for my first fat bike

Old 02-07-16, 11:49 PM
norsehabanero
Just a student

Bikes: Cannondale, schiwin old road bike fuji a unicycle

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i was looking at those as well and read alot about bike direct in other forums, good and bad but mostly on their business practices and havent found anything on the frame quality or how they hold up and was wondering about that
Old 02-09-16, 07:01 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, I finally got the Bluto fork cut and installed today. I hope to get some riding time in tomorrow so I can comment on any differences I notice. A quick ride around the lawn proved impressive. The fork took care of the subtle little frozen lumps of lawn and the handlebars remained chatter free. Of course, this was my lawn and not a trail.
Hopefully, I can get to hit the rail trails (gravel and some potholes) and comment. I am pumped up!
Old 02-17-16, 01:51 PM
NYMXer

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO w Hi-Mod frame, Raleigh Tamland 1 and Giant Anthem X

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So, after a week of cold temps, some below zero.... I finally got out to ride with the Bluto fork installed. This was a quick 12 mile graveled rail trail near my house that took almost an hour. Mind you, this was flat but icy ride and fat tires don't help much on ice. The ride was uneventful (re: I did not crash, lol) but the fork action was superb and totally changes the bike in a way I never saw coming. I mean, the rigid fork with the fat tires did a nice job of handling the bumps, esp the small roots and stones that usually throw a skinny tired mtb off course. This Framed, with the Bluto fork, just never deviated from my intended path and I never felt a hint of a rock, root or pothole. Simply amazing because I thought there might be a little improvement, but the ride is even superior to my regular Giant Anthem X 29.

So, between the Bluto fork, seat post suspension, studded flat pedals, (2) bottle holders and under the seat pouch, I think I have transformed this Framed into a year round keeper. I am not going to use it just for winter riding, as originally intended but get myself a set of 26x3 tires and put them on in the summer months and ride year round! I am unbelievably impressed and happy with this bike and can't recommend them enough.

Oh, here is a pic from today's ride

On a side note, The House (where I bought the bike) sent me an uncut Bluto fork. They said via e mail, to take it to a bike shop and have them do the work. OK, I figure I will take the 2 forks, rather than drag the whole bike into a shop, let them cut the Bluto and I will install it. Quick and easy and I e mail The House with the cost. I did not ask for gas money or my time, but told them it was $18. They paid me $16 after a bout a half dozen e mails and a few not so nice phone calls. Then, when I told them that they did not fully reimburse me, they said that they would fix it but never did. Moral here, they are not believable people and if you will cheat someone for $2, you'd screw your own mother for $2.50! I dealt with Anthony and Jesse over at the House and they both will yes you to death but fail to deliver!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
cropped IMG_0481.jpg (103.1 KB, 22 views)
Old 02-17-16, 02:29 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have found it easier to stay upright on ice when riding a fatbike than on a regular mountainbike. But fat tires are NOT a substitute for studded tires.

We've had a pretty #$@&*# winter here in Anchorage and have been dealing mostly with ice, so Dillingers are a godsend and a must this year. If you deal with ice, I'd recommend getting them. The Dillingers are a decent all around tire too, so most people here are just running them winter long. They are expensive though, and you won't find them on sale.
Old 02-17-16, 05:52 PM
NYMXer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by FrozenK View Post
I have found it easier to stay upright on ice when riding a fatbike than on a regular mountainbike. But fat tires are NOT a substitute for studded tires.... If you deal with ice, I'd recommend getting them.
We had about 2 inches of snow and below zero temps over the weekend and then yesterday, bam.... 50's and some rain. Snow melted, puddled and froze overnight. The low lying areas had lots of solid ice, other areas some spotted ice with stone and grass poking through and the higher areas, dry.

If it were all solid ice, I wouldn't have rode the bike but I was itching to try out those forks and even though it was a fairly smooth rail trail, it was a fun ride and I learned that the forks make this a whole new bike. I will find something like 3.0 tires for the summer and ride this bike more often and save the Giant Anthem X for racing.

I guess since you live in Alaska, zero temps might be a hear wave for you, lol
Old 02-17-16, 06:12 PM
FrozenK

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer View Post
We had about 2 inches of snow and below zero temps over the weekend and then yesterday, bam.... 50's and some rain. Snow melted, puddled and froze overnight. The low lying areas had lots of solid ice, other areas some spotted ice with stone and grass poking through and the higher areas, dry.

If it were all solid ice, I wouldn't have rode the bike but I was itching to try out those forks and even though it was a fairly smooth rail trail, it was a fun ride and I learned that the forks make this a whole new bike. I will find something like 3.0 tires for the summer and ride this bike more often and save the Giant Anthem X for racing.

I guess since you live in Alaska, zero temps might be a hear wave for you, lol
Not in Anchorage, we usually stay in the 20s. In Fairbanks yes, they see temps in the negatives on a regular basis. This year though, we have had more days above freezing than usual. It sucks.
Old 02-24-16, 01:43 PM
MuddyBikeRider

Bikes: Haibike FS RS

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NYMXer View Post
Hey everyone. I want to get my first fat tire bike, somewhere between 3-4" with front forks, alum frame, hydraulic brakes and affordable.
I hoping that some of you know some great bikes at even greater prices.
I'm not brand loyal but don't want a Walmart special either.
Thanks
I was going to get a fat bike to ride in the sand and snow but then I got a Hopey steering damper. It keeps your tire straight so that you cut through it. Now I ride my mountain bike in the snow and sand with no problems.
Old 05-29-19, 05:44 PM
tanvir.bikes

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My first fat tire was a BMX (A Fat Boy bought from Boneshaker Bikes). It was also my first BMX. It turned out to be a super fun ride. It's been 4 months since I bought it and so far I am more than satisfied.