Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Future of Campagnolo

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Future of Campagnolo

Old 06-25-19, 09:44 PM
Seattle Forrest

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8900 Post(s)
Liked 609 Times in 372 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
They will be the first to market "shift by thought" technology.
Dude, get with the times. That came out in 2011.

https://www.wired.com/2011/07/toyota...gear-shifters/
Old 06-26-19, 04:52 AM
horatio 
Hump, what hump?

Bikes: See signature

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 254 Post(s)
Liked 61 Times in 47 Posts
Originally Posted by Seattle Forrest View Post
Dude, get with the times. That came out in 2011.

https://www.wired.com/2011/07/toyota...gear-shifters/
Well, I'll be... Will wonders never cease. Still, if it were Campy-engineered the helmet would be elegant.
2010 AB T1X ** 2010 Cannondale SIX-5 ** 1993 Cannondale RS900 ** 1989 Bianchi Brava ** 1988 Nishiki Olympic ** 1987 Centurion Ironman Expert(2) ** 1985 DeRosa Professional SLX ** 1982 Basso Gap ** 198? Ciocc Designer '84 ** 198? Ciocc Competition SL ** 19?? Roberts Audax ** 198? Brian Rourke ** 1982 Mercian Olympic ** 1970 Raleigh Professional MK I ** 1952 Raleigh Sports
Old 06-26-19, 06:33 AM
eja_ bottecchia

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 864 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 151 Posts
Originally Posted by jideta View Post
As long as you can think in Italian...

If I'm still around in 15-20 years I'll still be buying Campag. Some folks like STI, some like Ergo and so it goes.
Sono Italiano...posso farlo.

Cogito ergo sum...Campa.
Old 06-26-19, 07:01 AM
DaveSSS

Bikes: Look KG461, Colnago C-RS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Shimano and SRAM have lagged years behind campy with 10 and 11 speed. Now campy and sram both have 12 speed road bike groups and shimano is lagging. Campy just came out with the very reasonably priced chorus 12 group, with a sub-compact 48-32 crank option and up to an 11-34 cassette. I paid $1058 for the group, but I'm sure it will soon be cheaper from Euro sources.

Campy hubs work with 9,10, 11 and 12 speed. The others can't say that.

Campy suits those who build up their bikes with each component carefully selected, rather than buying a pre-built bike at the local bike shop. I've been doing that for over 25 years now.

Campy is small, but sells all it can make. That's not likely to change unless their management goes downhill.

Last edited by DaveSSS; 07-05-19 at 01:55 PM.
Likes For DaveSSS:
Old 06-27-19, 06:21 AM
Road Fan

Bikes: 1980 Masi, 1984 Mondonico, 1984 Trek 610, 1980 Woodrup Giro, 2005 Mondonico Futura Leggera ELOS, 1967 PX10E, 1971 Peugeot UO-8

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 865 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 33 Posts
Originally Posted by jamesdak View Post
Lol, I honestly have to say I ride all sorts of stuff on my 25 or so bikes. The Campy gives me the least trouble which seems to go against its reputation.
I agree with you about Campy, and I want to say I dunno where that reputation comes from. I have Campy systems on 5 bikes, working great except for the Athena 3x11, and have used it starting about 1969. The old Nuovo Record stuff shifted reliably within its well-known limits, which are not obscure. I've also had two bikes with friction Shimano 600/6207, and despite the beauty of the crank and the brakes, the shifting does not work nearly as well as Campy NR did, and IMO the calipers s**k. Two bikes (one sold off) have Shimano 3x9. They also work great but we'll have problems if anything breaks, due to lack of backwards compatibility.

I don't see a reputation for unreliability. I see a reputation for not being compatible with Shimano, and for shop people (and most amateurs) knowing how to finagle Shimano so it works, and the same bag of tricks not working with Campagnolo systems. This is not the fault of Campagnolo. It's the fault of the "technician" who did not approach the work with professionalism and proper knowledge, and the shop owner who allowed that person to proceed with his ignorance.

Campagnolo's obligation is to provide a system including its parts that shifts the bike so as to satisfy the customers. They do that. So do Shimano, Microshift, SRAM, and ... well in 25 years there will probably be others. Campy uses it's history of innovation and invention, dating back to at least the 1950s, as well as modern engineering and product design techniques. SRAM dates back farther, having the companies that were Huret and Sachs, and through Sachs, some history in common with Campagnolo. Shimano? not so much apparent heritage, but decent engineering. Works smoothly, different from Campy, but it does the job.

I have no experience with SRAM, but my now-under-construction tandem will focus on Microshift, with Tektro calipers, TRP brake levers, and DT cassette hub.

Last edited by Road Fan; 06-27-19 at 06:33 AM.
Old 06-27-19, 01:16 PM
jideta 

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 134 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post
Shimano and SRAM have lagged years behind campy with 10 and 11 speed. Now campy and sram both have 12 speed road bike groups and shimano is lagging. Campy just came out with the very reasonably priced chorus 12 group, with a sub-compact 48-32 crank option and up to an 11-34 cassette. I paid $1058 for the group, but I'm sure it will soon be cheaper from Euro sources.

Campy suits those who build up their bikes with each component carefully selected, rather than buying a pre-built bike at the local bike shop. I've been doing that for over 25 years now.

Campy is small, but sells all it can make. That's not likely to change unless their management goes downhill.
Campy is
All of this.

I think that the old reputation of being elite and expensive still prevails even while groups are priced about the same as Shimano and Sram.
For the same price I'll take Campag all day.
The bad part is that no local LBS carries any parts (cables too!) and hardly any of the techs have worked on it. Very little penetration into the US market.
Folks have been wondering about the future of Campagnolo forever and they are still here. I remember this topic coming up when I first got into bicycles like 15 years ago.
Old 06-27-19, 04:57 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 826 Post(s)
Liked 95 Times in 64 Posts
"I believe there will always be a large enough group of well funded cyclists to keep them going."

Not sure how true this rings. I use Campy because I am frugal. Just ordered Record brifters and Chorus derailleurs. First new drive train components since 1986. Nuovo Record still going strong, just need lower gearing. Campy lasts a long, long time. The 1982 Shimano 600 Ex cranks I had broke about 9 years ago. The 1986 NR cranks are still spinning away perfectly. In fact, still using the same chain rings! Replaced the 39t Shimano ring twice before the crank arm cracked in two.

Shimano and Sram are good quality, and I have used both of them on several bikes, however from my experience neither one can match the durability and reliability of Campy.

Campy is not for deep pockets, it is for the rider that carefully considers how his money is spent.
Old 06-27-19, 06:42 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Bandera View Post
Is it 1968 again?

Meanwhile:

1984: "Lo spostamento indicizzato è uno scherzo"

1984: "Le mountain bike sono uno scherzo."

1987: "Syncro semplicemente non funziona affatto."

1987: "Solo un completo idiota con più soldi avrebbe senso acquistare o componenti. Aumenta i prezzi ora!"

In the years since:
"Cosa possiamo copiare da Shimano senza essere citati in giudizio per violazione di brevetto?

Spostamento ellittico! Santa Maria, Madre di Dio, stiamo andando fuori mercato!

Aumenta di nuovo i prezzi!"

Tomorrow:
"Campagnolo ha venduto al conglomerato Cinese "Happy Campy Bike" per somma non rivelata e asilo politico per i migliori dirigenti Campagnolo a Macao."

-Bandera
I come to BF.net to get a dose of culture.
Old 06-27-19, 06:44 PM
rousseau

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by horatio View Post
They will be the first to market "shift by thought" technology.
Isn't there a joke with a punchline that goes "No...but I like your thinking"?
Old 06-27-19, 07:11 PM
Kapusta
Cyclochondriac

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1049 Post(s)
Liked 158 Times in 112 Posts
Originally Posted by onyerleft View Post
Where do you see Campagnolo in the future, say 15 to 25 years from now?
As irrelevant to me as they are now.
Old 07-06-19, 07:18 PM
Climb14er
Jazz Aficionado

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Some of us who have been riding for many years started on Campagnolo Grupo. Some of us have remained with them because they have performed well all these years.
Old 07-06-19, 07:47 PM
Dean V

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 858 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by DaveSSS View Post

How is Shimano lagging just because they are still 11sp. That is a rather simplistic way of looking at it.
Shimano has better shifting, better braking and is far from being out classed.
I also prefer Sram to Campag as well.
Old 07-07-19, 06:40 AM
jamesdak

Bikes: G.L. Maillot Juane & Ventoux,Schwinn Circuit, Prologue,PDG Paramount,Paramount,Tempo,Jake The Snake,LeMond Zurich & Tourmelet,Giordana XL Super & Antares,Puegeot U08,Bob Jackson,Fuji S12-S,Opus III,Orbea Cabestany,Bianchi Campione,Basso Gap

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1242 Post(s)
Liked 179 Times in 111 Posts
Originally Posted by TiHabanero View Post
"I believe there will always be a large enough group of well funded cyclists to keep them going."

Not sure how true this rings. I use Campy because I am frugal. Just ordered Record brifters and Chorus derailleurs. First new drive train components since 1986. Nuovo Record still going strong, just need lower gearing. Campy lasts a long, long time. The 1982 Shimano 600 Ex cranks I had broke about 9 years ago. The 1986 NR cranks are still spinning away perfectly. In fact, still using the same chain rings! Replaced the 39t Shimano ring twice before the crank arm cracked in two.

Shimano and Sram are good quality, and I have used both of them on several bikes, however from my experience neither one can match the durability and reliability of Campy.

Campy is not for deep pockets, it is for the rider that carefully considers how his money is spent.
Yep, especially with Shimano trying to force the European sellers not to sell to us in the U.S. For people like me that means Shimano is dead to me with their crazy high U.S. prices. I can still get better, yes I said better, Campagnolo groups from overseas and get them cheaper than I can buy Shimano stateside. Win, win!
Old 07-07-19, 09:52 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6925 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 204 Posts
As I said..

Originally Posted by fietsbob View Post
Romania ..
They already have a labor cost saving factory there, Now..
Old 07-07-19, 12:10 PM
DaveSSS

Bikes: Look KG461, Colnago C-RS

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Dean V View Post
How is Shimano lagging just because they are still 11sp. That is a rather simplistic way of looking at it.
Shimano has better shifting, better braking and is far from being out classed.
I also prefer Sram to Campag as well.
What makes 11 speed better than 12? The opposite seams obvious. In the past Shimano and SRAM took 4 years to match campy's increase in the number of sprockets. Did you enjoy the long wait for 10 and 11 speed?

Campy's brakes modulate well and can lock up a tire, if you get carried away. What more do you need?

The new Chorus 12 group can be had for $1060.