Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction LXXV

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction LXXV

Old 09-16-19, 02:49 PM
  #3751  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 17,174

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6457 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by BillyD View Post
But you put a hurting on some donuts and muffins didn’t ya.
You have no proof.
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is online now  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-16-19, 02:54 PM
  #3752  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 17,174

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6457 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post

Out tandem has been collecting dust for a while, as Ramona's afraid of traffic.
Since my wife's plethora of broken bones, she feels the same way. She is a white knuckle rider on the back of the tandem and refuses to ride her own bike. We have a 50+mph downhill 2 miles from our house and today, I had to squeeze the brakes all of the way down to keep it under 35 mph though I noticed Strava claims we still hit 39.5 mph.

Anyway, we stopped twice to stretch her back in 20 miles but I think she still enjoyed it. So sad to see an ex-cat 3 racer and 5,000 mile per year rider afraid to get on a bike after 37 years.
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is online now  
Old 09-16-19, 03:03 PM
  #3753  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,127

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Since my wife's plethora of broken bones, she feels the same way. She is a white knuckle rider on the back of the tandem and refuses to ride her own bike. We have a 50+mph downhill 2 miles from our house and today, I had to squeeze the brakes all of the way down to keep it under 35 mph though I noticed Strava claims we still hit 39.5 mph.

Anyway, we stopped twice to stretch her back in 20 miles but I think she still enjoyed it. So sad to see an ex-cat 3 racer and 5,000 mile per year rider afraid to get on a bike after 37 years.
I agree, but she is getting put there and exposure is the only way. Incidentally, my knuckles would be pretty white going 50 with no control and my nose in someone’s bee-hind.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:09 PM
  #3754  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 17,174

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6457 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Incidentally, my knuckles would be pretty white going 50 with no control and my nose in someone’s bee-hind.
You left out on 24x20 spoke rear and front wheels.
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is online now  
Old 09-16-19, 03:13 PM
  #3755  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,127

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
If you really want to be a Strava stalker, the "flyby" feature is your friend.
The security and privacy issues with Strava are simply staggering. I still can’t decide if it’s worth it, even using half a name.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:15 PM
  #3756  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,052

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9136 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
The security and privacy issues with Strava are simply staggering. I still can’t decide if it’s worth it, even using half a name.
I should probably be more careful but I figure if a psycho wants to find me, he/she can. So I use my full name on Strava. Heck, I even use my name here in BF.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:18 PM
  #3757  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,127

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
You left out on 24x20 spoke rear and front wheels.
Oh, yeah, that would definitely add to the experience. No point putting heavy wheels on a ~400 lb vehicle, now. ...and those discs; well, you might as well just take a gun and...
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:21 PM
  #3758  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 45,403

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6299 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
You left out on 24x20 spoke rear and front wheels.
What's the problem?

__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:30 PM
  #3759  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,127

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas View Post
I should probably be more careful but I figure if a psycho wants to find me, he/she can. So I use my full name on Strava. Heck, I even use my name here in BF.
Plenty of weirdos here.

I am easy to find, but why show them how to get me? If Google stats are any indication, a lot of people are looking for me every day and if my email and voicemail are any indication, some of them are actively psychotic. It doesn’t help that I work for the Government and preside publicly over weird mind control experiments using magnets and electrodes.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:33 PM
  #3760  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,608

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9443 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
If Google stats are any indication, a lot of people are looking for me every day and if my email and voicemail are any indication, some of them are actively psychotic.
Yeah, I guess I'd exercise a little caution in your position, too.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 03:42 PM
  #3761  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,127

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Yeah, I guess I'd exercise a little caution in your position, too.
...but it’s nothing remotely comparable to simply being female.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 04:20 PM
  #3762  
datlas 
Beyond Bogus
 
datlas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Malvern, PA (20 miles West of Philly)
Posts: 29,052

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 405 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9136 Post(s)
Liked 216 Times in 140 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
...but it’s nothing remotely comparable to simply being female.
Agree. We have a LONG way to go yet.
__________________
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Addiction is all about class.
datlas is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 05:14 PM
  #3763  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,608

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9443 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
...but it’s nothing remotely comparable to simply being female.
Ha. Funny. Sad. True.

The other week, I had a conversation with one of the guys in my group. He was telling me about how he had run in to a female cyclist heading in the same direction, at about the same pace, out in the middle of nowhere, which launched in to how we're both cautious/reserved in such situations because of the creep factor... Thinking about it now, that probably comes off creepy, too. Anyway, giving a 'Kudos' afterwards? Mayyyyybe. Follow/follow request? Noooo way.
WhyFi is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 05:39 PM
  #3764  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 17,174

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6457 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
Oh, yeah, that would definitely add to the experience. No point putting heavy wheels on a ~400 lb vehicle, now. ...and those discs; well, you might as well just take a gun and...
375# Don't insult us.

#StillTooFatForThisSportButShrinking
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is online now  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-16-19, 05:54 PM
  #3765  
MoAlpha
• —
 
MoAlpha's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2015
Location: Land of Pleasant Living
Posts: 3,127

Bikes: Occasionally

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1865 Post(s)
Liked 270 Times in 154 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi View Post
Ha. Funny. Sad. True.

The other week, I had a conversation with one of the guys in my group. He was telling me about how he had run in to a female cyclist heading in the same direction, at about the same pace, out in the middle of nowhere, which launched in to how we're both cautious/reserved in such situations because of the creep factor... Thinking about it now, that probably comes off creepy, too. Anyway, giving a 'Kudos' afterwards? Mayyyyybe. Follow/follow request? Noooo way.
I have found the few solo female cyclists I’ve matched speeds with much friendlier than I would have expected and one actually kudo’d and followed me on Strava, unbidden. Recently, I had a great, fast 50 mi ride with some lady I met on the road and made a real point of offering to turn off and go my way, but she said she wanted the company and the challenge. No Strava contact with her, but she told me her life story! Go know. I am also being very mildly stalked on Strava by a woman in the area whom I’ve never met and who has actually made some quasi-inappropriate comments—something else I don’t like about those public feeds, not the comments themselves, but others thinking I have some relationship with her.

Last edited by MoAlpha; 09-16-19 at 05:58 PM.
MoAlpha is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 08:44 PM
  #3766  
BillyD
Administrator
Thread Starter
 
BillyD's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Hudson Valley, NY
Posts: 25,692

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene '04; Bridgestone RB-1 '92

Mentioned: 277 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6292 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 85 Posts
When I think about all the nutjobs I’ve banned on these forums over the years it just reinforces my need to be cautious about where I hang my hat, not to mention the aversion to using strava (yeah why don’t I just show them where I ride all the time). #veryangrypeople
__________________
See, this is why we can't have nice things. - - smarkinson
Where else but the internet can a bunch of cyclists go and be the tough guy? - - jdon
BillyD is offline  
Old 09-16-19, 08:56 PM
  #3767  
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless
 
rjones28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Chittenango, NY
Posts: 45,403

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6299 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 50 Posts
Ain't skeert.
__________________
Originally Posted by Heathpack View Post
Amateur bike racing is just a fun thing, as far as I know, there's no penalty for not winning.
rjones28 is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 12:17 AM
  #3768  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 32,741

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4109 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by MoAlpha View Post
I agree, but she is getting put there and exposure is the only way. Incidentally, my knuckles would be pretty white going 50 with no control and my nose in someone’s bee-hind.
I don't think I'd be that scared as a stoker. I always ask Ramona why she isn't back there taking pictures of everything. I tell her all she has to do is pedal, there's nothing else to worry about. You could even read a book or do your taxes.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 09-17-19, 12:19 AM
  #3769  
LesterOfPuppets
cowboy, steel horse, etc
 
LesterOfPuppets's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Valley of the Sun.
Posts: 32,741

Bikes: everywhere

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4109 Post(s)
Liked 111 Times in 83 Posts
Originally Posted by rjones28 View Post
Ain't skeert.
I'm not either. I have an oddly shaped privacy zone in Strava, so that helps a little.
LesterOfPuppets is online now  
Old 09-17-19, 05:06 AM
  #3770  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23,512
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9241 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 505 Posts
I'm pretty sure the Trucker needs a new chain.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 05:07 AM
  #3771  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23,512
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9241 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I have an oddly shaped privacy zone in Strava, so that helps a little.
Family forum, buster. Reported!
indyfabz is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 05:25 AM
  #3772  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 17,174

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6457 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz View Post
I'm pretty sure the Trucker needs a new chain.
Better start a thread on which chain is the best and cheapest, what to lube it with, how to get the right length, quick link or connecting pin... like discussion would have no end, just like a chain. <—- profound

Fun fact, most recumbents can run a chain with a half twist like a Möbius strip, just fine.
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is online now  
Likes For Trsnrtr:
Old 09-17-19, 05:26 AM
  #3773  
Trsnrtr
Super Moderator
 
Trsnrtr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2002
Location: Central Illinois
Posts: 17,174

Bikes: Giant Propel, Gianni Motta, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6457 Post(s)
Liked 149 Times in 96 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I'm not either. I have an oddly shaped privacy zone in Strava, so that helps a little.
Maybe there’s a surgical procedure for that.
__________________
Dennis T

Trsnrtr is online now  
Old 09-17-19, 06:01 AM
  #3774  
indyfabz
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Posts: 23,512
Mentioned: 175 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9241 Post(s)
Liked 807 Times in 505 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr View Post
Better start a thread on which chain is the best and cheapest, what to lube it with, how to get the right length, quick link or connecting pin... like discussion would have no end, just like a chain. <—- profound
Better yet, a thread asking whether I should buy the chain from a LBS and have it install it or buy on line and install it myself.
indyfabz is offline  
Old 09-17-19, 06:01 AM
  #3775  
WhyFi
Senior Member
 
WhyFi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Got a castle in - er, Minneapolis, that's where I dwell!
Posts: 25,608

Bikes: 2016 Diamondback Haanjo, 2018 Trek Domane SL5 Gravel

Mentioned: 311 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9443 Post(s)
Liked 356 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I don't think I'd be that scared as a stoker. I always ask Ramona why she isn't back there taking pictures of everything. I tell her all she has to do is pedal, there's nothing else to worry about. You could even read a book or do your taxes.
I can totally understand being more anxious when not in control - I feel the same way when I'm in the car and my wife is driving.

Originally Posted by LesterOfPuppets View Post
I'm not either. I have an oddly shaped privacy zone in Strava, so that helps a little.
How'd you manage that? Overlapping radii? That's one thing that bugs me about their Privacy Zone - it seems too easy to triangulate if you were to really set your mind to it.
WhyFi is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2018 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.