Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

MTB chain slipping off rings

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 02-04-08, 01:49 PM
Tyrell

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post

When I am in my middle chainring and get to cranking up a hill, the chain will sometimes fall off the inside and either wind up on my small chain ring or fall completely off and onto the BB. Doesn't happen all the time but it sucks when it does. I recently had a full drive train replacement and tune including chainrings, cassette, BB, and chain along with all cables. Will a simple front der. adjustment fix this? What else could be the cause?
Old 02-04-08, 02:28 PM
Portis
Banned.

Bikes: Trek 4300 X 2. Trek 1000, Trek 6000

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ngm6dr-1na0

Adjust the front der. first then go from there. There could still be other issues, like having the wrong lenght BB put in.
Old 02-05-08, 01:15 PM
Tyrell

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Didn't think about wrong length BB. I'll try the adjustment first and see where that leads me. Thanks!
Old 02-09-08, 02:45 AM
z415

Bikes: Trek 1000, two mtbs and working on a fixie for commuting.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Assuming you don't want to change parts, you can try to lose a link or two in the chain to increase tension or fine the screw in the backside of the RD that increases tension. I don't know the official name of the screw, but it is the one that you use when you want to bring your jockey wheels further from your cogs if they rub. If you remove a link, make sure you have enough links to cover the gear range you will use - some say enough to cover big cog/big ring, but I would think you wouldn't need that if you don't cross chain.

I had a similar problem when I went 1x9 on both my bikes, but after doing both those, I have no problems.
Old 02-09-08, 09:08 AM
bmalmquist
Wrench User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by z415 View Post
Assuming you don't want to change parts, you can try to lose a link or two in the chain to increase tension or fine the screw in the backside of the RD that increases tension. I don't know the official name of the screw, but it is the one that you use when you want to bring your jockey wheels further from your cogs if they rub.
B screw.
Old 02-09-08, 09:21 AM
raleighrider75
2 B Frank w/U

Bikes: 1963,1965,1968 and 1971 Raleigh Sports

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Maybe the new chainring doesn't line up properly with the cassette.Does it happen in high or low gears?Can you hear the chain rubbing on the front derailleur when it happens?
Old 02-09-08, 09:57 AM
operator
cab horn

Bikes: 1987 Bianchi Campione

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by z415 View Post
Assuming you don't want to change parts, you can try to lose a link or two in the chain to increase tension or fine the screw in the backside of the RD that increases tension. I don't know the official name of the screw, but it is the one that you use when you want to bring your jockey wheels further from your cogs if they rub. If you remove a link, make sure you have enough links to cover the gear range you will use - some say enough to cover big cog/big ring, but I would think you wouldn't need that if you don't cross chain.

I had a similar problem when I went 1x9 on both my bikes, but after doing both those, I have no problems.
The B-Screw is NOT for adjusting tension. This is NOT it's purpose. If youre tension is off, check the chain length. Other possibility is that the RD springs are worn out or you really are running a huge range of gears, say triple with mega-range back.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26
Old 02-09-08, 11:14 AM
mark9950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
simple solution,remove the front deraillure ,you dont need it.
Old 02-10-08, 08:21 AM
bmalmquist
Wrench User

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by operator View Post
The B-Screw is NOT for adjusting tension. This is NOT it's purpose. If youre tension is off, check the chain length. Other possibility is that the RD springs are worn out or you really are running a huge range of gears, say triple with mega-range back.

http://www.parktool.com/repair/readhowto.asp?id=26
Indeed. Didn't mean to mislead. I was just naming the screw. The B screw is to space the jockey wheel away from the cassette so that there's no rubbing/interference.
Old 02-11-08, 08:07 AM
Tyrell

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
I don't remember hearing the chain rub anything when it happens. I'll check the chain length too, front der. adjustment is good. Haven't had alot of time to do much wrenching or riding these days as work has been monopolizing the daylight hours. Thanks again, folks!
Old 02-13-08, 11:15 AM
JSellers

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Are you using grip shift?
Old 02-18-08, 10:41 AM
Tyrell

Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
No grip shift - Shimano Rapid fire. Still haven't had a chance to give the bike a look...been spending lots of time on the road as of late. I'll report back when I get it sorted out.