Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Hello to this Forum from Boston

Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Old 07-14-08, 08:52 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts

Hello to this Forum,

I stumbled upon this Forum from another totally unrelated Blog and I was quite impressed at the volume of activity and range of interests. Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula. The Mercier wore out and now I ride a Bridgestone RB-1 purchased in about 1991. After the birth of our son in 1988, I have pretty much been a year–round commuter only, but in the past few years I have done a century or two a year and I follow a ten week training program for centuries published long ago in Bicycling Magazine.

I have a really great commute that belies, IMO, the image of Boston as a city unfriendly to bicycling. I live in Downtown and ride to a suburb 14 miles distant in the reverse traffic commuting pattern. Then in the evening, I take my bike back to Boston on a commuter rail train, since the train is empty on the reverse commute. The Train Station is about 3 minutes from work, the Downtown Station is about three miles from home, and the train ride is about one-half hour long. For those who commute in the regular direction, I feel your pain, but my half-commute is so tolerable, that I miss only a few days during the entire year, usually because of rain. I furthermore usually leave home before 6:00 AM, and this is my idea of Peace on Earth. To train for a century, I just do ever-lengthening routes to work.

I have been perusing this site for a few weeks and I have had several comments to make so I hope to make useful contributions to future discussion threads, as well as glean from the comments of others.

Sincerely,

Jim from Boston

Addendum: Since joining Bike Forums, I have also ridden on the Second Annual Fifty Plus Ride at Watkins Glen in the Finger Lakes Region in 2010 in conjunction with the (NY) Southern Tier Bicycle Club; and with the Third Annual Ride in Chelsea MI in 2011, called "One Helluva Ride," sponsored by the Ann Arbor Bicycle Touring Society.

Also since subscribing, I have adapted to riding my Cannondale Mountain Bike in rain and winter precipitation, including on icy roads, thanks to advice from the Forums.

Second Addendum: On June 1, 2012 I was hit from behind by a car while commuting home on a Friday evening. I was off work for three months, and off the bike for five. See this post, “One of our own was hit Friday Night,” with my first reply a few weeks later:

Originally Posted by dnuzzomueller
Just felt that I should let people know that Jim From Boston, was hit Friday Night while commuting home from work. He is "Okay" from what I have heard, no nerve damage but several major bone breaks…

Originally Posted by Jim from Boston
Dear fellow cycling commuters,

This my first opportunity to correspond with the Forums since my accident June 1 and I am grateful for all the posts to this thread wishing me well…
The Bridgestone was totaled in the accident, and in April of 2013, I bought a Specialized S-Works.

Third Addendum:
On 7/28/13, I was the "host" for a Fifth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride held in the Metropolitan Boston area.

Fourth Addendum:
On 7/26/14, we did the Sixth Annual Fifty-Plus Ride again in Boston.

Fifth Addendum:
We did the Seventh Annual Fifty-Plus Rides in Chelsea, MI on 7/11/15, and in Raystown, PA on 10/10/15.

Sixth Addendum:
In August this year of 2016, I bought an aluminum Specialized Diverge to use as a new. lighter beater bike, and reserve the heavy duty Cannondale MB for Winter riding, with studded tires. For the past three weeks though, I have had plantar fasciitis, and it's too painful to just stretch my left foot to mount any bike, so I've ridden it just two blocks.

In addition, this has been the nicest riding summer since my accident in 2012. The fasciitis has been getting better, so today (9/10/16), I plan to go for two separate rides, totaling about 25 miles, on the Cannondale which is more comfortable to ride with the platform pedals. Then hopefully, I can resume riding again on the clipless bikes.

See also this summary:

Originally Posted by gerv
I often recall how BF played such a vital part in getting me out on the street and in better health....

What about you? What role did BF play in getting you out on two wheels?
I have been an avid cyclist, as a lifestyle since about 1972; self-described year-round commuter, occasional centurian (in-training during the nice weather), and former cycle tourist, including a cross-country ride…”Road Warrior” is my self-applied nickname. I happened serendipitously on Bike Forums in 2008, and it was frankly incredible to find a community that shared so many concerns I had kept to myself as a lone cyclist.

This enthusiasm has definitely increased my enjoyment of cycling. As far as improving it, what I have gotten directly from BF are:
  • the motivation and tips to ride in rain, and wintry roads, i.e. studded tires
  • the Fifty-Plus Annual rides that motivate me to train in the nice weather
  • the safety tip to watch the front wheels of a car rather than the body or hood to anticipate what the driver is going to do
  • the opportunity to post and literally "journal" my thoughts and activities about cycling and lifestyle (even if nobody else reads them), but which I wouldn't write down otherwise.
So thanks for the opportunity, gerv.

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 09-10-16 at 04:04 AM. Reason: Added Summary
Old 07-14-08, 09:03 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Hi Jim, it sounds as if you never let go of your love of cycling! Glad to have you here to contribute .

Welcome to BF, and feel free to PM me with any questions !

East Hill
Forum Moderator

Old 07-14-08, 09:13 AM
deburn

Bikes: 2020 Fuji Bighorn 1.3, 2005 LeMond Buenos Aires, 2013 Jamis Coda Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Jim, welcome to BF! That's quite a riding schedule/commute you have! I live in Cambridge. Check out the regional forum https://www.bikeforums.net/forumdisplay.php?f=232 and also this Boston-area one https://www.bikeforums.net/showthread.php?t=385697

Hello to this Forum,

I stumbled upon this Forum from another totally unrelated Blog and I was quite impressed at the volume of activity and range of interests. Back in the 60’s in the Motor City, I had an “English Racer,’ and longed to tour at about age 14, but then joined the car culture. In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.

In 1977 we moved to Boston on our bikes, as a bicycling honeymoon from Los Angeles to Washington, DC and then took the train up to Boston. We have toured in New England and the Maritime Provinces, and one trip to the DelMarVa peninsula. The Mercier wore out and now I ride a Bridgestone RB-1 purchased in about 1991. After the birth of our son in 1988, I have pretty much been a year–round commuter only, but in the past few years I have done a century or two a year and I follow a ten week training program for centuries published long ago in Bicycling Magazine.

I have a really great commute that belies, IMO, the image of Boston as a city unfriendly to bicycling. I live in Downtown and ride to a suburb 14 miles distant in the reverse traffic commuting pattern. Then in the evening, I take my bike back to Boston on a commuter rail train, since the train is empty on the reverse commute. The Train Station is about 3 minutes from work, the Downtown Station is about three miles from home, and the train ride is about one-half hour long. For those who commute in the regular direction, I feel your pain, but my half-commute is so tolerable, that I miss only a few days during the entire year, usually because of rain. I furthermore usually leave home before 5:00 AM, and this is my idea of Peace on Earth. To train for a century, I just do ever-lengthening routes to work.

I have been perusing this site for a few weeks and I have had several comments to make so I hope to make useful contributions to future discussion threads, as well as glean from the comments of others.

Sincerely,

Jim from Boston
Old 03-05-09, 09:57 PM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7333 Post(s)
Liked 2,430 Times in 1,419 Posts
Nice introduction. I should write one about myself. We have a fair bit in common. I lived in Boston and cycled there extensively. I also worked at the Bicycle Workshop on MIT campus. Maybe you were a customer of mine back in 1980 or 1981.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 01-09-15, 06:50 AM
gerv 
In the right lane

Bikes: 1974 Huffy 3 speed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
@Jim from Boston, took me a while to figure this thread out. Welcome to BF!!
Old 01-09-15, 07:34 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by gerv
@Jim from Boston, took me a while to figure this thread out. Welcome to BF!!
It’s about time…I’ve been on Bike Forums since 2008! FYA, I reconnected with deburn above, just this summer since I remembered his name.

Hi deburn,

… I know you are not new to the area because when I wrote an Introduction to Bike Forums when I joined in 2008, you wrote a gracious welcoming post, but I’ve not seen posts by you since.
BTW, if I may reciprocate to you, see this post.

Jim
Old 01-09-15, 02:32 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
this is hysterical
Old 01-09-15, 07:47 PM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3084 Post(s)
Liked 6,541 Times in 3,756 Posts
Glad you're still here, Jim!

Old 02-15-16, 07:24 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,464 Times in 1,830 Posts
In Ann Arbor MI in the 70’s I really realized the utility of bicycles for commuting, and began touring on a five-speed Schwinn Suburban, but soon bought a Mercier as did my girlfriend, later my wife. We toured in Michigan and Ontario.
What a coincidence that your wife and girlfriend both ride the same bikes. Do they ride together?

The Mercier wore out and now I ride a Bridgestone RB-1 purchased in about 1991.
I had an 1988 RB4 (wrecked, sadly.) Awesome bike ... way better than a Schwinn Suburban.

I have adapted to riding my Cannondale Mountain Bike in rain and winter precipitation, including on icy roads, thanks to advice from the Forums.
Lol, I'd advise against that. I have had more than enough cold rain to satisfy me in this life. Good for you if you can tolerate it.

Second Addendum: On June 1, 2012 I was hit from behind by a car while commuting home on a Friday evening. I was off work for three months, and off the bike for five. See this post, “One of our own was hit Friday Night,” with my first reply a few weeks later: The Bridgestone was totaled in the accident, and in April of 2013, I bought a Specialized S-Works.
Now that just sucks ... or half-sucks, because you got a new S-Works. But those Bridgestones .... Solid and dependable commuters in all conditions.

Sorry I didn't do nested quotes in your honor ... maybe after the next cup of coffee.
Old 02-15-16, 09:26 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5222 Post(s)
Liked 3,574 Times in 2,338 Posts
anyone know how to find your 1st post? I doubt mine was anywhere near as articulate
Old 02-16-16, 06:44 AM
Jim from Boston

Originally Posted by Maelochs
…Sorry I didn't do nested quotes in your honor ... maybe after the next cup of coffee.

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
anyone know how to find your 1st post? I doubt mine was anywhere near as articulate
Hi @Maelochs and @rummrunn,

Thanks for those greetings to this old introduction to BF from 2008.

FYA, I recently wrote about my posting style. rr6, since you asked, my first post to BF after this Introduction, was on 7/14/08. You may find it amusing, since you are a fellow Metro Boston cyclist, and as you previously posted to my thread last January,

Originally Posted by rumrunn6
this is hysterical
Originally Posted by robsolete
Bitter Bostonian joins the ranks

Hey all,

My name's Rob. Been commuting around The Bean for about three years now, getting my stripes. So I figure I should come to the internets to say hello.

To stereotype, I'm about 40% fixed gear kid, 40% three-speed dork, 10% spandexerrific, and 10% crazy winter commuter.

And that's about it, I suppose. . .
My reply (not nested):

Pronoid pedalist

Hi robsolete,

I once heard that the opposite of a paranoid is a pronoid, i.e. someone who believes the world is organized for their benefit. I just introduced myself to this forum today, praising the cycling here in Boston (living in Kenmore Square) and how I've organized my riding to enjoy it. On Saturday I did a beautiful century up the North Shore Coastline, though I admit such fine weather is a limited treat.

See also a recent posting to the General Cyling Discussion Group entitled, "Impressed by Massachusetts Bicycle Setup." Impressed by Massachusetts Bicycle Setup

Sincerely,

Jim from Boston
In a much later post, written this year I wrote:

Consider me as Metro Boston's Ambassador to BikeForums.