Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

All-City Gorilla Monsoon steel "monster cross” bike w/ clearance for 27.5 x 2.4 tires

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

All-City Gorilla Monsoon steel "monster cross” bike w/ clearance for 27.5 x 2.4 tires

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 12:00 PM
Troy Winter
flyover

Bikes: 1986 Centurion Lemans RS, 1994 Trek 930, All-city Machoman

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 4 Posts
https://alutech-cycles.com/Classific...-Bicycle-Usage

According to the above link a 1("road" bike) is only a 1("road" bike).
A 2 is a 1("road" bike) + 2.
A 3 is a 1("road" bike)+ 2+ 3.
A 4 is a 1("road" bike)+ 2+ 3 +4.
A 5 is a 1("road" bike)+ 2+ 3 +4 + 5.
Correct?
Old 02-27-18, 12:10 PM
dgodave
Behold my avatar:

Bikes: 2019 Gorilla Monsoon, 2013 Surly Krampus, Brompton folder

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 6941 Post(s)
Liked 444 Times in 289 Posts
Russian troll factories are inflaming this "road bike" definition dispute to cause discord in America.
Old 02-27-18, 12:11 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
That's pretty good, but it's a categorical system and not a hierarchical system. Also "road bike" is not a term used on the site or in the standard since it encompasses many different types of bikes meant only to be ridden on paved surfaces. For the purposes of the standard, a paved surface and a road are not the same thing. So I don't think that's correct.

Also, upon further research it appears category 1 bikes do not often include any adult road racing bikes, touring bikes or other bikes meant mostly for paved roadways. Those are usually category 2, with gravel bikes being category 3 and mountain bikes being 4/5.
Old 02-27-18, 12:46 PM
Troy Winter
flyover

Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
That's pretty good, but it's a categorical system and not a hierarchical system. Also "road bike" is not a term used on the site or in the standard since it encompasses many different types of bikes meant only to be ridden on paved surfaces. For the purposes of the standard, a paved surface and a road are not the same thing. So I don't think that's correct.

Also, upon further research it appears category 1 bikes do not often include any adult road racing bikes, touring bikes or other bikes meant mostly for paved roadways. Those are usually category 2, with gravel bikes being category 3 and mountain bikes being 4/5.
Thanks!
Old 02-27-18, 01:36 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 382 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 25 Posts
An entire thread that devolved into arguing about narrow parochial definitions and jargon.

This entire thread sucks.
Old 02-27-18, 01:46 PM
Spoonrobot 

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 1216 Post(s)
Liked 183 Times in 116 Posts
Good to see another arbiter of what should and should not be discussed has arrived with nothing to contribute. I didn't get this weeks approved posting topics email, can you please resend at your earliest convenience.

Old 02-27-18, 01:46 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
The neostructuralist paradigm of consensus is best method to determine the meaning of "road bike." The primary theme of Werther’s critique of capitalist libertarianism is a mythopoetical whole. Therefore, the example of the neostructuralist paradigm of consensus which is central to the pavement/dirt spectrum, Baudrillard uses the term ‘realism’ to denote the common ground between pavement and nonpavement.

“Society is part of the stasis of language,” says Foucault; however, according to Dietrich, it is not so much society that is part of the stasis of language, but rather the failure, and eventually the collapse, of society. However, if the neostructuralist paradigm of consensus holds, we have to choose between realism and capitalist modernism, and this structure of thought is mirrored when considering road bike and other bike.
Old 02-27-18, 02:02 PM
Troy Winter
flyover

What I've learned from all this is that All City should not release this product to the masses. It's just not worth the risk. Think about the children!!!!
Old 02-27-18, 02:35 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Nashbar X-frame bike, Bike Friday Haul-a-Day, Surly Pugsley.

Originally Posted by tyrion
The neostructuralist paradigm of consensus is best method to determine the meaning of "road bike." The primary theme of Werther’s critique of capitalist libertarianism is a mythopoetical whole. Therefore, the example of the neostructuralist paradigm of consensus which is central to the pavement/dirt spectrum, Baudrillard uses the term ‘realism’ to denote the common ground between pavement and nonpavement.

“Society is part of the stasis of language,” says Foucault; however, according to Dietrich, it is not so much society that is part of the stasis of language, but rather the failure, and eventually the collapse, of society. However, if the neostructuralist paradigm of consensus holds, we have to choose between realism and capitalist modernism, and this structure of thought is mirrored when considering road bike and other bike.
This post wins the thread.

Baudrillard AND Foucalt, all in a pithy parody?

You have truly won my admiration. Drop the mic, sir, you've earned it.
Old 02-27-18, 02:38 PM
Banzai
Jet Jockey

Good to see another arbiter of what should and should not be discussed has arrived with nothing to contribute. I didn't get this weeks approved posting topics email, can you please resend at your earliest convenience.

I must have missed the similar memo stating that I couldn't voice an opinion on how much a thread sucks.

It really does though.
Old 02-27-18, 02:39 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Originally Posted by Banzai
This post wins the thread.

Baudrillard AND Foucalt, all in a pithy parody?

You have truly won my admiration. Drop the mic, sir, you've earned it.
Just a couple paragraphs from a pomo generator with a few bike terms inserted.
Old 02-27-18, 02:50 PM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I must have missed the similar memo stating that I couldn't voice an opinion on how much a thread sucks.

It really does though.
Memo: By all the internet power vested in me by virtue of having an opinion on the internet, I hereby declare that you can voice an opinion on how much this thread sucks. This dispensation shall extend to any and all threads in which a bunch of people crap all over a bike company for making a bike that doesn't specifically match their arbitrary and random list of qualifications for what a bike should be, as well as any and all threads where cranky retrogrouches get into pedantic arguments about precise definitions of terms that are inherently fluid.

There you go. This is legally binding* btw.

*prove me wrong
Old 02-27-18, 03:18 PM
JWK

Bikes: Surly Disc Trucker, GT Grade alloy, Trek 920

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 13 Posts

+1. Pretty much what I was going to say.

Originally Posted by ksryder
Memo: By all the internet power vested in me by virtue of having an opinion on the internet, I hereby declare that you can voice an opinion on how much this thread sucks. This dispensation shall extend to any and all threads in which a bunch of people crap all over a bike company for making a bike that doesn't specifically match their arbitrary and random list of qualifications for what a bike should be, as well as any and all threads where cranky retrogrouches get into pedantic arguments about precise definitions of terms that are inherently fluid.

There you go. This is legally binding* btw.

*prove me wrong
No one will prove you wrong, because you are right! And you know what? It's a beautiful thing. Being right, that is...
Old 02-27-18, 03:32 PM
JWK

It really does though.
Oh no, you can certainly voice an opinion on how much a thread sucks. However, that is contingent upon whether the thread actually falls into the category of 'sucks'. I am sorry, but you are incorrect. This thread falls squarely into the 'hysterical' category. There are specific internet parameters that define threads into 'suck', 'hysterical', 'worthy', etc. Did you do a search? No? I didn't think so. In any case, I don't want to hijack the thread. We need to get back to having the guy from Bali tell us all what a 'road bike' really is.

Sorry, but someone had to tell you.
Old 02-27-18, 04:30 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
Alright, we can un-suck the thread...

Let's just call that the Gorilla Monsoon is a road bike. There, thread un-sucked. Carry on...
Old 02-27-18, 06:45 PM
JWK

Originally Posted by Abu Mahendra
Let's just call that the Gorilla Monsoon is a road bike. There, thread un-sucked. Carry on...
NO! I'm sorry, but you just can't do that. There are rules. You cannot unring the bell, you cannot un-suck the thread. Things are in motion, ksryder has given legal citation. Things now must be played out to the bitter end.

May God have mercy on all of our souls...
Old 02-27-18, 07:05 PM
Abu Mahendra

Bikes: In service - FSIR Spin 3.0, Bannard Sunny minivelo, Dahon Dash Altena folder. Several others in construction or temporarily decommissioned.

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 897 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 17 Posts
WTH is a 'Gorilla Monsoon' anyway?

no one seems to have questioned the bike's unusual name...Let's keep the eye on the ball, folks!

Last edited by Abu Mahendra; 02-27-18 at 07:15 PM.
Old 02-27-18, 10:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,473 Times in 4,181 Posts
It's not arbitrary at all, I posted this is another thread:

Your gravel bike is most likely a 2. The gorilla monsoon would be a 3 or a 4. Modern production bicycles are highly engineered goods produced in ISO Certified factories by multi-national conglomerates, designed by engineers that in some cases have decades of experience. The categories that exist are so for specific reasons, marketing has blurred these lines but there are absolutely defined lines on what bikes are designed for what intended purpose.

How many millions of dollars do you think it would cost Dorel Industries if they sold a bike built to road bike spec as a gravel bike and someone snaps the relatively under built fork on a gravel road? The first thing brought to suit would be the marketing for the bike showing how it is ridden on gravel and how the plaintiff was doing the same thing when they were injured.
Yup, im aware of the ASTM intended use categories.
The rest of that first paragraph is just assumptions.

As for the Dorel hypothetical, i agree with you- brands need to have framesets built to handle the intended use and more(since people are dumb).
Not sure what this paragraph has to do with whst ive posted thru the thread, but again, i agree with you on the hypothetical and how it would be bad for Dorel.
Old 02-27-18, 10:33 PM
justin1138

Bikes: yes...

Quoted: 54 Post(s)
Liked 80 Times in 16 Posts
no one seems to have questioned the bike's unusual name...Let's keep the eye on the ball, folks!
have you no culture?

Old 02-27-18, 11:05 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Its a frankenbike.

I see no need for this, as there are plenty of vintage MTB's that could re-purposed and accomplish the same task.

Unless, you must have disk brakes, that's another thread though.
Old 02-28-18, 06:34 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6938 Post(s)
Liked 10,942 Times in 4,676 Posts

I predicted this way back in post #41...But I was half-kidding.
Old 02-28-18, 07:37 AM
JWK

A HA HA HA HA!!! Good point! Yes, I think it may be time to fully examine the meaning of "Gorilla Monsoon". Since I brought it up, I'll let someone else go first...

To be serious for just a few seconds (and then I'll stop - I promise), All City is just a little too quirky-cutesy with their names for me. But I'm old and crabby, so that might be it. Ironically, the worst offenders (Space Horse and now Gorilla Monsoon) are the bikes I'm most interested in from an intended use and geometry point of view. Go figure.
Old 02-28-18, 07:46 AM
JWK

Originally Posted by SHBR
Its a frankenbike.

I see no need for this, as there are plenty of vintage MTB's that could re-purposed and accomplish the same task.

Unless, you must have disk brakes, that's another thread though.
I have used a couple of vintage MTBs for this very same purpose. I would have to disagree with you. Disc brakes aside, there is a huge difference in going to 700c wheels and a much lower BB. There are other factors, all in favor of the modern gravel bike, but the two I just mentioned are more than enough for me when it comes to all-day riding on any kind of road. YMMV, of course.
Old 02-28-18, 08:59 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Most of their bike names are derived from wrestling. Not sure about the space horse though. But it always makes me think of the Space Coyote episode of The Simpsons where Johnny Cash voices a character in Homer's hallucination.
Old 02-28-18, 09:08 AM
Troy Winter
flyover

My Macho Man doesn't have the name displayed anywhere on the bike. It looks like that is the case with most, if not all, of their bikes. For whatever that's worth. The weird thing though is that I'm always craving Slim Jims on long rides.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.