Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Mavic open pro or Bontrager select whee

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Old 07-03-19, 11:06 PM
trek330

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts

I just bought a Lemond Tourmalet 2005 with Bontrager Select wheels. this will replace my Steel 1993 Specialized Allen with Mavic OpenPros in good shape.Should I switch the Mavics before I sell The Allez.What are the advantages(performance or other)of the Mavic Pros over the selects?I'm heavy(220) lbs and I know theMavics are built for more weight but what apart from that?Thanks
Old 07-04-19, 08:43 AM
TakingMyTime

Bikes: Trek 7.4 FX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1026 Post(s)
Liked 912 Times in 535 Posts
Originally Posted by trek330
I know theMavics are built for more weight but what apart from that?Thanks
Uhh... they are still good after 26 years would be a good indicator.
Old 07-04-19, 03:37 PM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
They did not come with the bike and are about 7 years old.
Old 07-05-19, 01:23 PM
cycledogg

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 18 Posts
I just bought a Lemond Tourmalet 2005 with Bontrager Select wheels. this will replace my Steel 1993 Specialized Allen with Mavic OpenPros in good shape.Should I switch the Mavics before I sell The Allez.What are the advantages(performance or other)of the Mavic Pros over the selects?I'm heavy(220) lbs and I know theMavics are built for more weight but what apart from that?Thanks
If it ain't broke, don't fix it.
Old 07-06-19, 07:01 AM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
I am not a fan of Bontrager wheels mainly because I have found, based on limited experience, that they are harder to get tires to mount to. But otherwise I have had no problems with either rim. That said, more spokes are better and your open pro wheels are probably going to be a tad more serviceable than the bontrager.

Also, you dont say what hub you have mated to the open pros. Bontrager hubs are often DT Swiss design and are usually pretty good. But if you have something like a Shimano 105 or better hub with the Open Pros, I would go with those.
Old 07-06-19, 06:35 PM
trek330

Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by DOS
I am not a fan of Bontrager wheels mainly because I have found, based on limited experience, that they are harder to get tires to mount to. But otherwise I have had no problems with either rim. That said, more spokes are better and your open pro wheels are probably going to be a tad more serviceable than the bontrager.

Also, you dont say what hub you have mated to the open pros. Bontrager hubs are often DT Swiss design and are usually pretty good. But if you have something like a Shimano 105 or better hub with the Open Pros, I would go with those.
They are 105's with the open pros.They also have eyelets while the Bontragers don't attesting to its quality.I think I am going to switch them.Also I see the open pros paired with a lot of high end bikes.I've been riding the bike and I really like it.It's my first Aluminum frame.Up till now its been all steel and one Ti,a litespeed.I'm surprised how much I like the ride.I like the ride more than the titanium but less than the steel.
Old 07-06-19, 07:14 PM
DOS

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 253 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 56 Posts
They are 105's with the open pros.They also have eyelets while the Bontragers don't attesting to its quality.I think I am going to switch them.Also I see the open pros paired with a lot of high end bikes.
Open Pros were Mavic’s flag ship road rim for a long time. I ran them for many years paired with both Ultegra and 105 hubs. They have been overtaken by the wider rim trend so aren’t as prevalent as the used to be. But paired with 105 hubs make an excellent wheel. All things being equal...e.g. rims are straight and otherwise undamaged.. I would go with the open pro set over the selects as well (although if you plan to sell the wheels you don't use, you would probably get more money for the open pros).