Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Any older guys remember BRC bikes?

Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Any older guys remember BRC bikes?

Old 06-14-15, 03:03 PM
osco53
Old Fart In Training

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BRC BIKES - From road bikes to mountain bikes, shifters to wheels, shoes to helmets, we?ll get you rolling.

1975 BRC Super MX - BMXmuseum.com
Old 07-02-15, 10:56 PM
elmore leonard

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
boyes and rosser glidin.
chromolly frame and fork. looks like it was made in Japan.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_00002661.jpg (99.4 KB, 191 views)
Old 07-04-15, 08:00 AM
fietsbob 
coprolite

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 188 Post(s)
Quoted: 6921 Post(s)
Liked 246 Times in 204 Posts
No Bike company Made all the components in house , Nottingham Raleigh factory was closer than many ..

that was the 40's and 50's..
Old 07-08-15, 01:44 PM
shamobius

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
They made mountain bikes too, real mid-level quality, but strong, and heavy too if you're into that kind of thing...

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Shamus cemetery May 1989.jpg (101.8 KB, 183 views)
Old 02-27-16, 11:08 AM
aajohnes1s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
BRC Alpine Sport

Anyone know how I might tell what year my BRC bike was manufactured?
Old 03-06-16, 04:59 PM
rickpaulos

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 5 Posts
Got this bike:
BRC Gonzo. nice handmade fillet brazed cromo frame. Circa 1990 or so based on the under stay brakes.

more photos:
https://www.flickr.com/photos/133549...57663589816116

Last edited by rickpaulos; 03-06-16 at 05:01 PM. Reason: add link for more photos
Old 08-21-18, 10:11 PM
Favouriteginger

Bikes: Mystery BRC

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
New to me BRC

I just scored this beaut second hand but I hardly know anything about it! The seller told me his grandpa gave it to him 20 ish years ago and as far as I know only the tires and cables have been replaced. It sports some very old and beat up cork handles, a seemingly primative gear shifter, the BRC crest logo on the front, and a rainbow decal that says "Quality from the Orient designed by BRC" and the word "cruiser" painted on the chain guard, with a very laid back cruiser style frame.
I plan on tuning it up further, making it an even more comfortable ride than it already is, and perhaps touching up the paint (I've got a friend who even does custom pinstriping if I want to throw some lines down). I would love to know if anyone could tell me what the model and year might be, I'm absolutely smitten with my new old bike and need more bragging rights!
Old 08-10-19, 09:05 PM
abone

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac Comp, Nishiki Superbe, Dahon MU P8 folder, Dahon Mariner D8, Xootr Swift

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
The second bike I purchased as young adult was a BRC mountain bike in 1981 or '82. Purchased new at Steveston Bike shop in Richmond B.C., owned and run by hippie brothers, in an old converted church. The building is still there as a charity thrift shop....not sure where the brothers went. It was a great shop. Can't remember what I paid, but I didn't have much money then so couldn't have been expensive. Less than $500? I do recall one of the brothers telling me it was a better buy than more expensive bikes (Apollo and whatever else was around at that time) with better components. They were correct!

Soon after buying it, I was transferred to Northern B.C. and subsequently to other locations in Western Canada. I have no idea how many km's I rode that bike but a lot. It also did double duty holding a carrier on the back for my three kids. Given I always lived on the edge of wilderness, the bike was on trails 90% of the time. Over 25 years of owning the bike I replaced the hand grips (once), added bar ends, brake pads (once), and repacked the hubs and that was it. Bottom bracket was never opened up. The bike was a beast, and a pleasure to ride. No suspension of course. All black and chrome and gorgeous. Damn I can still feel what it rode like.

Sad end to the story....we were getting ready for one of our multiple moves, and by this time I had a collection of bikes, mostly cheapies. My wife was giving some to the local firehall to repair for the needy. Went out into the garage and asked her "where's my mountain bike"...."I gave it to the firemen as we talked about". "Not that $%#%&%#!!! bike!!!" Grrrr, I'd still be riding it.

I've got some old pics around here somewhere...will have to dig them out sometime and get teary eyed.

Good thing she didn't give them my 1977 Nishiki Superbe, bought new when I was 21 and still own.

Ironically now retired we live about a km away from that old bike shop and my wife (same one) donates clothes and other odds and sods there regularly. No bikes though!!

Last edited by abone; 09-04-19 at 07:59 AM.
Likes For abone:
Old 09-16-19, 07:48 PM
prairiepedaler

Bikes: BRC Explorer 43lb'er, Raleigh Elkhorn, Cannondale SM600, LeeWorld Mountain Sport Frame, Maruishi MT18 Frame

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 7 Posts
I ride a BRC Explorer and have for about 6 years, even in a Winnipeg Winter. It's the go-to packmule bike and receives the most use. Has a healthy wheelbase with long stays. Probably was sort of mid bottom of the line.