Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Hoban Help

Search this Thread

Old 01-02-09, 01:41 PM
Ramie75

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hoban Help

Hi guys my friend recently came upon a Barry Hoban racer (pictured) and he's actually quite excited about it, can't wait to get it on the road but he wondered if any of you lot might know a bit or two about this bike, he's PC illiterate, I'm bicycle illiterate and there's a communication breakdown somewhere in between, you get the picture. Anyway could someone tell us the model perhaps, the year, the value etc.. Cheers in advance.

Old 01-02-09, 06:38 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Its better to take pics on drive side. Most components have date codes you can look up. If they are original, that will tell you age. I have found codes on seat post, handlebar stem, handlebars, quick release, hubs, freewheel, crank arms, and both derailleurs. Look for the oldest codes, get ones that are a few months apart, and you probably have the age of the bike (recognize that bike would be built from parts off the shelf, so bike could be six months newer than components),

Vintage trek site has great detail on component codes (not limited to Trek bikes in any way).
Old 01-02-09, 06:40 PM
luker
juneeaa memba!

Bikes: Crap. The box is not big enough...

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
This particular one is a late bike boom bike from the late '70's. Spec'ed as a low end one. It'd be fun to restore, mostly because of the association with Hoban. It has no significant value.
Old 01-02-09, 09:28 PM
Ramie75

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your help guys, appreciated.