Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Should an old rookie go clipless?

Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Should an old rookie go clipless?

Old 08-28-18, 10:10 PM
CO_Steve

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
BTW, you will fall over, we have all done it. Just roll with it, it will be ok.
Spud flub.
Old 08-29-18, 05:07 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
I am 73 and have had and used clipless for over 20 years I still use them on my road bike but use pinned pedals and regular shoes on my touring bike and other bikes. The advantage on my road bike is I like them better when standing up on hills, the disadvantage on long rides I tend to get hot spots. The pinned bmx style pedals eliminate the hot spot problem and the pins do a good job of keeping my foot in the place I select. Some people never fall using clipless but a lot of people do. At 73 the thought of a fall kinda worries me, although I haven’t had a clipless induced fall for many years. I did watch one of my buddies go down because of them and he was a long time user. When I first got them I had several falls because of forgetting to unclip. I use spd style, I have also used look style, seems the look was better for the hot spots. The only way to find out if they are for you is to try them, most long term bicyclists do at some point.

Last edited by Baboo; 08-29-18 at 05:12 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 08-29-18, 07:44 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8183 Post(s)
Liked 8,841 Times in 4,390 Posts
Originally Posted by MikeDD
Just to piss people off, riders with their feet clipped in do not stop at stop signs and do not obey traffic laws. Just my opinion, sorry to jump the thread.
Yep, that's why we do it. When you buy the pedals you get a manual on how to piss people off.
Old 08-29-18, 08:00 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
It's true. Every pair of clipless pedals comes with at least a pamphlet about how to be a scofflaw. I mean, there's an image to uphold.
Old 08-29-18, 08:12 AM
robertj298 

Bikes: 1983 Univega Super Strada, 1986 Panasonic DX5000, 1984 Fuji Team 85 Univega Gran Turismo, 1984 Lotus Unique, 1987 Centurion Expert, 1987 Centurion Ironman Master,

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 676 Post(s)
Liked 447 Times in 181 Posts
Well I picked up a set of m324 pedals never used for$25 then couldn't believe I found a pair of Shimano mtn. Bike shoes in my size like new in a local thrift store for $9 . Been using them for a couple weeks with no mishaps. In my opinion they are pretty easy to get in and out of after a short time. I believe the only mishaps would occur if your not paying attention and not thinking in which case you shouldn't be in the road
Old 08-29-18, 08:55 AM
Baboo

Bikes: Bike Friday NWT, Rans Stratus, Cannondale R500, trek 720 multitrack, Rockhopper

Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 22 Posts
Originally Posted by robertj298
Well I picked up a set of m324 pedals never used for$25 then couldn't believe I found a pair of Shimano mtn. Bike shoes in my size like new in a local thrift store for $9 . Been using them for a couple weeks with no mishaps. In my opinion they are pretty easy to get in and out of after a short time. I believe the only mishaps would occur if your not paying attention and not thinking in which case you shouldn't be in the road
yep that’s when it happens alright, or with an unexpected emergency stop or in my case once when a chain dropped off little chainring on a hill.
Old 09-01-18, 12:54 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18319 Post(s)
Liked 4,487 Times in 3,337 Posts
I've been riding my vintage bikes with either half clips or with clips with loose fitting straps. I just can't get used to the idea of having my feet strapped in where I can't get out of them quickly.
I'm curious about clipless pedals. So other than the pedals what type of shoes would I need and what pedals would be good to start out with? Thanks Bob
If you use tennis shoes or similar, you can get your feet out of the toe clips cinched down as tight as you can get by pulling down and back.

Even with cleated road pedals, a good twist and they'll come out.

I rode with toeclips and straps TIGHT from about age 10 to my late 40's. Then jumped on the SPD bandwagon. I love them.

But, I pull up at least sometimes, and enjoy the stability it holds the shoes. Also stiff shoes.

The better shoes seem to be important especially as one pushes > 100 mile rides.

For me, the conversion from toeclips to clipless was quick and easy. Not 100% incident free (had troubles with loosing traction on my driveway climb), but I believe a lot transferred from the use of toeclips as well as my old road shoes... where did those go?

The question gets back to what you need. It sounds like your primary goal with the toeclips is foot positioning, and not the upstroke, or really holding the shoe in place.

It is worth trying, but if you don't like a shoe strapped down, I'm not convinced you'll like it clipped to the pedal.

I'd probably first look at some really grippy pinned pedals. You can even use SPD style cycling shoes with pinned pedals. Many new shoes come with cleat covers. Perhaps there are other stiff sport shoes to try.
Old 09-01-18, 03:57 PM
Mainiac

Bikes: Fuji Allegro, Miele Mountain Bike, Trek Domane AL 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Some shoes, like the Bontrager Espresso, allow you to walk without the cleats hitting the ground. A friend of mine forgot to unclip and when she went down, put out her hand to break her fall. She did, and her wrist as well.
Old 09-06-18, 11:37 AM
xraydog

Bikes: Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 33 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Go Clipless,

I was a new rider several years ago and had concerns about clipless pedals. I bought the Shimano Click'r pedal (PD-T421). Clipless on one side and platform on the other. The Click'r pedals supposedly require much less effort to get into and more importantly out of. Use with the multidirectional cleat SH-56 cleat I have never not been able to get out (unclipped) when necessary. Also I have not had them un-clip while riding. I convinced my wife to try this combination and she has done well.

I still ride them today. No reason to switch to another pedal.

Rick D
Old 09-06-18, 12:32 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 276 Times in 144 Posts
So all these clipless riders over 50 just do so to feel more legit or serious?
Not..sure...if...serious...If at over 50 and you still feel the need for validation of other individuals, specially internet strangers, there may be somethign wrong with your development as an adult.

IME, going from old fashioned rat traps to these new fangled clipless thing-a-majigs that these young 'uns are using is a no brainer. Very easy to use and a lot quicker to release than the old toe clips.
Old 09-06-18, 01:04 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Personally, I'm not a fan of the multi-release cleats. I want one specific motion to associate my muscle memory. But YMMV.
Old 09-06-18, 02:09 PM
Bob Ross
your god hates me

Bikes: 2016 Richard Sachs, 2010 Carl Strong, 2006 Cannondale Synapse

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1232 Post(s)
Liked 1,241 Times in 689 Posts
I mention this every time the topic comes up:

- It took me 10 years to get completely comfortable getting in and out of toecllips/straps.
- It took me two weeks to get completely comfortable getting in and out of clipless pedals.
Old 09-07-18, 07:50 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1511 Post(s)
Liked 733 Times in 454 Posts
There's nothing wrong with clips and straps for starting out. Get some mountain bike shoes to go with them. That way you'll get nice stiff soles to prevent hotfoot and tired feet, and if you ever decide to go clipless and buy some SPD pedals, the pedals will come with cleats that you can install on the shoes you already have.
Old 09-15-18, 03:58 PM
roybatythighs

Bikes: Nigel Dean World Tour Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Two weeks ago I broke my ankle in three places while cycling. I was clipless and when the bike went away from me my left foot stayed firmly attached to the pedal and was horribly twisted. I'm looking at at least another 6 weeks non weight bearing. Of course it was wholly my fault , I took a bend far too fast and lost traction, but if I had been on flat pedals or loose toe clips like I did previously I might just have gotten away with a few nasty scrapes. I'm not saying my injury is at all typical and I was stupid, Thankfully the bike was undamaged ...below my wheels for the next few weeks

Old 09-16-18, 01:33 PM
freeranger

Bikes: 06 Lemond Reno, 98 GT Timberline mtn.bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 419 Post(s)
Liked 689 Times in 430 Posts
I tried clipless pedals, but didn't like them. I like to be able to position my foot on the pedal, where I want it, with clipless, your foot position is where it's clipped in-period. I also like to be able to get off of the pedal quickly and easily. I didn't find it to be nearly as quick and easy with clipless. I'm using "BMX" pedals-the ones with "pins" in them to keep your foot from slipping. So whatever shoes I want to wear are OK, and I don't feel any loss of efficiency-it's not like, at 67, that I'm competing in any road races. I know some people swear by them, I couldn't stop swearing at them. Many I ride with in my age category are using the "BMX" style pedals now, and getting along fine with them.
Old 09-17-18, 04:31 PM
jim p

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a weak rider. What I like about clipless pedals is:

When my quads get tired, I can use my hamstrings and pull up on the pedals while I rest my quads.

Cooling When the feet get hot, I can start pulling up on the back stroke and pushing on the down stroke. This causes fresh air to circulate into the shoe and cools the feet.
Old 09-17-18, 04:38 PM
lkoyanagi

Bikes: Tern D7e

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
I've been riding my vintage bikes with either half clips or with clips with loose fitting straps. I just can't get used to the idea of having my feet strapped in where I can't get out of them quickly.
I'm curious about clipless pedals. So other than the pedals what type of shoes would I need and what pedals would be good to start out with? Thanks Bob
As long as your shoes have cleats of some kind, you can push the pedals forward without clips. This I do with trail running sneakers. I dont race. Pedals should be regular, not small clip type.
Old 09-21-18, 03:55 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1935 Post(s)
Liked 2,148 Times in 1,312 Posts
Clipless is the best way to go. I just never got around to them when I finally dumped my old cleated leathers. I still use clips and straps on my road bike. I use platforms on my mountain and flat bar city bikes.

As for shoes, I have found Specialized Touring Elite works well with clips & straps (no cleat) and to go clipless. You can ride and walk on them. Not sure if they are made anymore, but really nice shoes.

As for what others use, I have no opinion.

John
Old 10-01-18, 11:29 PM
surlyprof

Bikes: 2011 Rivendell Sam Hillborne, 2016 Brompton M6R, 2017 Ritchey Timberwolf

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I liked clipless pedals but don’t use them anymore. I’ve shifted to mtb flat pedals with spikes. I’ve been enjoying a set of Race Face Chesters which are reasonably priced, light and hold well (aggressive spikes). I use VP 001s on my road bike with less aggressive spikes. I haven’t found a huge loss in pedaling efficiency compared to my spd pedals. I can wear almost any pair of shoes with them and it is easy to quickly put a foot down if needed.

If you do go to clipless but fear falling, there is usually a way to adjust how tightly they hold the cleats. My spd pedals have a screw in the back that enables me to loosen the clamping force. It’s a fine line between just tight enough and cleats accidentally popping out. With some experimentation, I found a happy medium. Still feel safer on my flats.

john