Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Introductions
Reload this Page >

Terry Wassall, ex Tooting Bicycle Club 1964-1974 or there abouts

Search
Notices
Introductions Welcome to the BikeForums community! Please introduce yourself to other forum members here.

Terry Wassall, ex Tooting Bicycle Club 1964-1974 or there abouts

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-16, 05:26 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,590 Times in 3,780 Posts
Unfortunately, Terry hasn't checked in since 2014.
Old 11-10-16, 06:26 AM
1989Pre 
Standard Member

Bikes: 1948 P. Barnard & Son, 1962 Rudge Sports, 1963 Freddie Grubb Routier, 1980 Manufrance Hirondelle, 1983 F. Moser Sprint, 1989 Raleigh Technium Pre, 2001 Raleigh M80

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1297 Post(s)
Liked 940 Times in 490 Posts
Let's hope that Terry sees the two messages from his two mates, here.
Old 11-14-16, 08:10 AM
Terrywassall

Bikes: Ridgeback hybrid, 1960s Woodrup racing bike, 2013 Giant Defy Advanced 2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Bob, Neil and Tony. I've not been active on this thread for a couple of years now. I had a bad mountain bike crash last year that took a lot of the summer to recover from and then I was diagnosed with prostate cancer and recovering from surgery buggered up most of this year too. All on the mend now though and just got back on my bike for the first time in 3 months last weekend, only with a new bum friendly saddle! I'll reply in more detail soon but I'm away from home at the moment and hate using the poke keyboard on my tablet. Back next weekend some time.
Old 11-14-16, 06:32 PM
qcpmsame 
Semper Fi

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1172 Post(s)
Liked 358 Times in 241 Posts
Welcome back to the forums Terry, sorry to learn of your bad crash last year, and the Prostate cancer diagnosis. Hopefully the recovery and your cycling return is well underway now, stick around the forums if you would.

Bill

I Can Do All Things Through Him, Who Gives Me Strength. Philippians 4:13

Old 02-03-17, 12:52 PM
Cluley

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Neil Abrahart, Gary Adkins and anyone else I know on this forum. I worked at Holdsworthy, then at Hinds of Clapham back in the 1960s, also for a short time at Clive Stuart. Still cycling, now living in Esher minus most of hair but still fit and using bike almost every day. Query, was'nt Bill the Pill (alias Bill Shillibeer a member of the Balham c.c. rather than the Tooting? I also don't know how forum works but heigh ho willing to have a go.
Old 09-28-18, 01:05 PM
Sraine

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My father Mike Raine rode for Tooting Bicycle club in the 50’s 60,s and was club track champion in 1957 we still have his bike
Old 09-28-18, 01:45 PM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 246 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11398 Post(s)
Liked 4,745 Times in 2,763 Posts
Wow. This is quite a thread! Welcome to Bike Forums, @Sraine!

If you put the @ in front of a username, hopefully it will send a notification to a forum member you would like to contact.
Old 10-01-18, 05:46 AM
NavyD

Bikes: Rourke TT, Geo Longstaff TT, Fondriest Road, Alpine stars Mountain, Ladies Raleigh roadster/utility

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi Sraine,
Saw your message. I've not been in touch with Terry for some years now.
I was in the Tooting 1959-1964 and while I cant remember your Dad Mike, I do have (still) copies of TBC handbooks for 1960-64 n which Mike is clearly shown as 1/4 mile record holder - Time 26.7sec set 1956.
My name appears 2 & 3 lines below his on P 14 of 1964 h/book.
Do you remember anyone else of that era? (NB- my last post here was 2013)
Regards "Navy"
Old 10-08-18, 10:19 AM
Sraine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry to sat but my Dad recently passed away, I do not know any other names off hand but when I showed some of the names that are mentioned in other posts my Mum recognised them, I will try and take a photo of his bike and post on here.
Old 10-08-18, 03:04 PM
Siu Blue Wind
Homey

Mentioned: 56 Post(s)
Quoted: 2427 Post(s)
Liked 1,406 Times in 900 Posts
Welcome from NorCal!! Nice thread, thanks for sharing!

Sorry about your dad, Sraine. Condolences.
Please dont outsmart the censor. That is a very expensive censor and every time one of you guys outsmart it it makes someone at the home office feel bad. We dont wanna do that. So dont cleverly disguise bad words.
Old 10-12-18, 01:46 AM
Sraine

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by NavyD
Hi Sraine,
Saw your message. I've not been in touch with Terry for some years now.
I was in the Tooting 1959-1964 and while I cant remember your Dad Mike, I do have (still) copies of TBC handbooks for 1960-64 n which Mike is clearly shown as 1/4 mile record holder - Time 26.7sec set 1956.
My name appears 2 & 3 lines below his on P 14 of 1964 h/book.
Do you remember anyone else of that era? (NB- my last post here was 2013)
Regards "Navy"
couple of names Ken Baker and Roy Fosset
Old 10-12-18, 02:02 PM
John12345

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome

Hi
Old 08-21-23, 01:53 PM
kiddermonster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hello terry,
do you still have contact for John Cole - ex Tooting BC?

Thanks
andy
Old 08-28-23, 06:45 AM
DrZhivago

Bikes: Geoffrey Butler

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have been reminded of this thread by an email notification. I have the impression that the club does not exist any more except in the form of this thread.

I continued to ride for pleasure for a few years after I gave up racing and moving away from "Tooting", but then gave up entirely when things changed radically around the early 1980's. From then, following a government White Paper on cycling, bikes were effectively re-classified from being vehicles to being a walking aid, both officially and in the mindset of a new wave of cyclists. Signs appeared requiring bikes to use the pavement, bike lanes were marked out (even on wide, quiet roads) and to my disgust cyclists started using pavements en-mass anyway. At the same time, car drivers began to regard ordinary roads as motorways on which cyclists had no right to be. Some residential roads had bike lanes with "Give Way" lines painted across them at every residential drive entrance. I was not prepared to ride a bike on those terms.

Until then, in my Tooting BC days, for a long solo ride I might go down the A23 to Brighton, along the coast to Worthing, then back home up the A24. For a shorter more scenic ride I might go via Leatherhead, then Guildford, then east on the A25 and return home up Box Hill or Pebblecombe. Our mid-week evening club training run was down the A3, and back home up the A24. The "A" roads and "B" roads threaded towns and villages together, centre-to centre, as they had for the previous 1000 years, and we happened to live at the time when that changed, a time of massive road building and the conversion of linear public spaces into motorways, effectively. Cycling may be officially encouraged as "green", but is frowned upon outside routes which have been designated as suitable by officials.

I took up photography instead, and more recently writing, including poetry. I think have a few years left, am in good health, so I was thinking of writing a book "Memoirs of a Long Distance Cyclist" as a nostalgic look back at those days before complete car domination. It would be in a similar vein to "Cider with Rosie", "Larkrise to Candleford", and Siegfried Sasoon's "Memoirs of a Fox-Hunting Man", which is not much about fox hunting and inspires my title. Don't worry, I shall use ficticious names to protect the guilty.
Old 10-05-23, 03:53 AM
B_Vaisey

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I stumbled upon this forum today when I Googled a name. My dad was Ron Vaisey, and was a TBC rider in the sixties. It is great to read your posts and see some names I recognise. I remember attending some of the Tooting Bicycle Club annual dinners (in the 1980s), and they were always a lot of fun. There was a real art to the cross toasting that went on.

My dad died in 2005, but I still have his old bike and some of the cycling trophies he won, plus some club memorabilia. His brother John is still with us though - I will tell him about this forum. Does anyone still read it??

I'd be interested in getting a few email addresses of my dad's mates (John Cole & Phil Wakefield) if anyone can oblige?

Best wishes, Byron