Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant ToughRoad

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant ToughRoad

Old 11-03-18, 02:57 AM
bumper
Rollin' road block

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by humansoul
Intrigued by the bars...I've seen them before on other bikes posted here...but didn't pay much attention until now. So in a case of a new bike, you would just opt for Jones bars or are there copycats like the Alpkit still around?
I've not seen any more like the Jones bars. Alpkit still do a loop style bar but its a riser with a front loop added, no sweep like mine. Velo Orange did some a while ago. As well as the comfortable position, the extra bar give lots of room for a bag, light, camera and various other mounts. I also hold the section by the stem on long days too, I never hold the front loop.

I regret selling these bars on my fat bikes. I paid £30 each, Jones are £100+ but I'd still buy them for the comfort/convenience they provide me.
Old 11-03-18, 04:20 AM
Glennie

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR 1 2019

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think the honeymoon may be over with my new Toughroad SLR 1 2019. I have owned it since the 13thof October. Since I picked it up I have noticed a hesitation to shift into higher gears from 1 upwards to about 6th gear. It has become gradually worse to this point. Now almost every one of those gear changes requires going up two gears and then back one to get the next sequential gear. E.G. changing from 2 to 3 requires changing from 2 to 3 and immediately changing to 4 where it shifts to 4. Then changing down to 3, which it does correctly. This is with the front large chain ring in use. When using the smaller chain ring, the gears shift ok, not perfectly though with some hesitation. I wondered if the reason might be due to not being adjusted properly but with some cross chasing affect coming into play.

Today though when cleaning the gears and and chain I found that the low gear sprocket at the rear and the large chain wheel at the front had
several teeth which had the tips broken off. Have been putting up with the bad gear changes as the LBS said it should be serviced at 3 months. I think it requires urgent attention in view of the missing bits on the gears and willcontact the shop to see when they can look at it.
Can you offer me any advice as too what I can do about it and to not have it happen again in the future as I am a relative newby?

Last edited by Glennie; 11-03-18 at 04:22 AM. Reason: Spellin mistakes
Old 11-03-18, 02:27 PM
Doctor Morbius
Interocitor Command

Bikes: 3 Road Bikes, 2 Hybrids

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by Glennie
... a hesitation to shift into higher gears from 1 upwards to about 6th gear. It has become gradually worse to this point. Now almost every one of those gear changes requires going up two gears and then back one to get the next sequential gear. E.G. changing from 2 to 3 requires changing from 2 to 3 and immediately changing to 4 where it shifts to 4. Then changing down to 3, which it does correctly. This is with the front large chain ring in use. When using the smaller chain ring, the gears shift ok, not perfectly though with some hesitation.
Sounds like an adjustment issue. Nothing more serious than that.
Old 11-03-18, 02:32 PM
travbikeman

Bikes: State 4130 Custom, Giant Trance 29

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 173 Times in 118 Posts
I think the honeymoon may be over with my new Toughroad SLR 1 2019. I have owned it since the 13thof October. Since I picked it up I have noticed a hesitation to shift into higher gears from 1 upwards to about 6th gear. It has become gradually worse to this point. Now almost every one of those gear changes requires going up two gears and then back one to get the next sequential gear. E.G. changing from 2 to 3 requires changing from 2 to 3 and immediately changing to 4 where it shifts to 4. Then changing down to 3, which it does correctly. This is with the front large chain ring in use. When using the smaller chain ring, the gears shift ok, not perfectly though with some hesitation. I wondered if the reason might be due to not being adjusted properly but with some cross chasing affect coming into play.

Today though when cleaning the gears and and chain I found that the low gear sprocket at the rear and the large chain wheel at the front had
several teeth which had the tips broken off. Have been putting up with the bad gear changes as the LBS said it should be serviced at 3 months. I think it requires urgent attention in view of the missing bits on the gears and willcontact the shop to see when they can look at it.
Can you offer me any advice as too what I can do about it and to not have it happen again in the future as I am a relative newby?
It's actually very typical for the derailleurs to require adjustments after a short period of time from first owning. The cables do stretch from time to time and after a year or two you may need to replace the cable and readjust when needed. Will depend on how much you ride and how well you ride.

Regarding the gears missing teeth, are you sure it's not the way the gears normally look? The gears have designs that allows the chain to shift and downshift easier so it may look like their broken, when in fact this is how they are designed.
Old 11-06-18, 03:03 AM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by travbikeman
It's actually very typical for the derailleurs to require adjustments after a short period of time from first owning. The cables do stretch from time to time and after a year or two you may need to replace the cable and readjust when needed. Will depend on how much you ride and how well you ride.

Regarding the gears missing teeth, are you sure it's not the way the gears normally look? The gears have designs that allows the chain to shift and downshift easier so it may look like their broken, when in fact this is how they are designed.
Thanks for the replies. I have checked the 1st gear teeth and the chain ring teeth again just to be sure and it looks like some teeth are “peaked” whereas others seem to have a lower and flat top. Doesn’t look right to me but I stand to be educated further on matters mechanical as a mechanic I make a good carpenter.
I cleaned and lubed the chain again today after a damp ride and changes are better with no hesitation and shifting sequentially as they should from second, to third to fourth etc without the need to go up to and back down one to get the next sequential gear. Still cannot downshift to first using either of chin rings but I think that is as you say that the cables have stretched from their initial length. I went and chatted with my LBS and they said the same. They have booked it in for the 22nd of November and apologised that they could not do it sooner as the pre Christmas rush has started. They were surprised that I have already done nearly 600km since I bought it on the 13th of October. Use it or lose it I say.
Old 11-06-18, 03:47 AM
subgrade

Bikes: Focus Crater Lake

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 391 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 204 Posts
I have checked the 1st gear teeth and the chain ring teeth again just to be sure and it looks like some teeth are “peaked” whereas others seem to have a lower and flat top.
It's supposed to be that way, to help improve shifting.

https://cdn-cyclingtips.pressidium.c...g-future-6.jpg

https://www.dahlmans.no/wp-content/u...48a0314b4c.jpg
Old 11-08-18, 04:49 AM
Glennie

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by subgrade
Thanks for that. I wondered if they might have been like that to aid shifting. Some are peaked and some are flat so I wasn’t sure. All adding to my education and enlightenment.
Old 10-09-19, 06:44 AM
fabian.milea

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 2 Posts
Hi guys,

After one year of owning my TR and a MTB for serious offroad riding, I want to transform my TR into a road bike as much as possible. I've set it up with a pair of road tires, 32x700 and it looks and handels good and I want to change the handel bar to a dropbar or a bullbar or a flatbar and and aerobars.
So, option 1: the classic dropbar - Plus: multiple hand positions, aero position - Cons: I have to get new break levers and shifters that are expensive, especially for hydraulic disk brakes... to change the brake calipers to mechanical it is also not cheap.
Option 2: bullbar - Pros: two hand positions and a bit more aero than my current raiserbar, cheap - Cons: this is a little bit odd looking and I'm not sure that my levers and shifters can go on the handlebar near the stem...
Option 3: flatbar and aerobars - Pros: cheap setup, aero position - Cons: this is also a bit odd looking...

What do you think?
Old 10-09-19, 01:39 PM
HerrKaLeun

Bikes: Giant Toughroad SLR1 and Motobecane Sturgis NX

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 900 Post(s)
Liked 231 Times in 168 Posts
Originally Posted by fabian.milea
Hi guys,

After one year of owning my TR and a MTB for serious offroad riding, I want to transform my TR into a road bike as much as possible. I've set it up with a pair of road tires, 32x700 and it looks and handels good and I want to change the handel bar to a dropbar or a bullbar or a flatbar and and aerobars.
So, option 1: the classic dropbar - Plus: multiple hand positions, aero position - Cons: I have to get new break levers and shifters that are expensive, especially for hydraulic disk brakes... to change the brake calipers to mechanical it is also not cheap.
Option 2: bullbar - Pros: two hand positions and a bit more aero than my current raiserbar, cheap - Cons: this is a little bit odd looking and I'm not sure that my levers and shifters can go on the handlebar near the stem...
Option 3: flatbar and aerobars - Pros: cheap setup, aero position - Cons: this is also a bit odd looking...

What do you think?
I had the same dropbar idea for the same reasons. But that requires major drivetrain and brake changes.....

I found the Jones bar, which works with flatbar controls and also gives multiple good positions. In fact more than a drop bar.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bars/
Old 10-09-19, 06:05 PM
badger1

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1566 Post(s)
Liked 1,163 Times in 591 Posts
Originally Posted by HerrKaLeun
I had the same dropbar idea for the same reasons. But that requires major drivetrain and brake changes.....

I found the Jones bar, which works with flatbar controls and also gives multiple good positions. In fact more than a drop bar.

https://www.jonesbikes.com/h-bars/
This^^^

Conversion costs (considerable) aside, the flatbar Toughroad's geometry is all wrong for a drop bar. Slapping aero bars onto flat or riser bars could work, but is an awkward solution at best; one of the several Jones bars is a much better solution.
Old 10-14-19, 03:21 AM
fabian.milea

Originally Posted by badger1
This^^^

Conversion costs (considerable) aside, the flatbar Toughroad's geometry is all wrong for a drop bar. Slapping aero bars onto flat or riser bars could work, but is an awkward solution at best; one of the several Jones bars is a much better solution.
Thank you both for your feedback. Decided to follow your advice and I've ordered a handlebar like the one you suggested... I will come back with impressions.
Old 10-19-19, 12:43 AM
fabian.milea

I found copy of the H-bar on the local market, I set it up yesterday and took a test ride. I love the confort, the multiple hand positions, the aero positions... I do not feel the bike as stable as with the raiser bar but I think I will get used to it and it will be better...
Here is the result:

Old 10-19-19, 07:05 AM
HerrKaLeun

Maybe try to tilt the bar up in front a bit. The pics look like it is lower. Watch jeff's videos.

Also, a shorter stem is usually in order for that bar. Short and high rise. YMMV, but that is the general advice and my experience.

Typically Jeff recommends the 2.5" rise version for regular bikes. His Jones bikes have a higher headtube. I only have the regular 0.5" rise version and had a hard time finding shirt high rise stem to make up for that.
Old 10-22-19, 08:46 PM
Bitt31

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Do used toughroad slr come up for sale often ? I’m having a hard time finding a used one in my size. Maybe that’s a good sign that people like to hold on to them!
Old 10-22-19, 09:01 PM
HerrKaLeun

Originally Posted by Bitt31
Do used toughroad slr come up for sale often ? I’m having a hard time finding a used one in my size. Maybe that’s a good sign that people like to hold on to them!
I guess you answered that question already....
I've never seen a used one for sale.
Old 10-23-19, 06:15 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
There are a few out there. There are two in the Pittsburgh region:

https://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/se...uery=toughroad

That one for less than 400 bucks looks like a great deal.
Old 11-07-19, 09:08 AM
Bitt31

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks for all the advice from the forums, found a brand new 2018 slr 2 in my size and should have it next next week! Can’t wait.
Old 12-03-19, 10:19 AM
pakeboi

Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 29 Posts
anyone running <50mm tires on their flat bar toughroad ?