Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

weak GPS signal

Old 02-12-19, 10:03 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7341 Post(s)
Liked 2,441 Times in 1,425 Posts
weak GPS signal

The last few days, I've had a weak GPS signal, as ridewithgps reports. Using google maps for navigation, the app falls behind in knowing where I am and which direction I'm moving in. Last night was bad, and I couldn't see how dense the cloud cover was. We are having snowfall this morning, so maybe the clouds were dense last night. The path the ridewithgps says I've taken is much more zig-zaggy than reality.

Is the problem likely to be attributable to clouds? Do other things cause this? Is it possible that the GPS receiver in my iPhone might be starting to fail?

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Old 02-12-19, 10:40 AM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
GPS satellite power is not very strong and the satellites are something like 12,000 miles up which is a pretty long way for the signal to travel. And a GPS receiver needs a pretty good antennae to pick up the signals. With GPS units that do not have a really good antennae I have often had poor reception under heavy tree cover and if there was a lot of rain clouds above. I would give it a few weeks of use before deciding if your phone has a problem.

If it reoccurs, you might want to see if there is a correlation to battery strength vs reception.
Old 02-12-19, 01:13 PM
JasonD67

Bikes: BMC Teammachine SLR02 Disc, Cannondale CAAD 4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 10 Posts
In addition to cycling, I use GPS in my car, sailboat, and aircraft. I've never had a GPS signal failure due to cloud cover/heavy precip. As a pilot and mariner, I'd be damned scared if there was a possibility that I'd lose GPS when the weather is bad -- that's just when I need it. I've only lost signal due to overhead trees or buildings (like in the downtown area of a major city).

Now, my little Element Bolt is by far the smallest GPS I've ever used (and the least critical), but I only lose signal under trees, and that rarely.
Old 02-12-19, 02:09 PM
sdmc530
Heft On Wheels

Bikes: Specialized,Cannondale,Argon 18

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 560 Times in 346 Posts
I don't know if I have ever lost a gps signal....even when riding in the Black Hills on the Mickelson Trail that is very covered I have not lost gps.

I would think its a hardware issues and maybe not a location/gps signal issue. Just my opinion though....
Old 02-12-19, 02:10 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
I always blame Russian hackers when GPS dropouts mess up my Strava logs.

But, yeah, it's usually atmospheric conditions, terrain, man made obstacles, etc. In my area usually when anyone experiences GPS glitches, several folks report the same problems.

A couple of years ago Strava wasn't very good at recovering ride logs when glitches occurred, while Cyclemeter did very well when I ran both apps at the same time. Since then it appears Strava is better at guesstimating our likely routes and recreates routes and related data pretty accurately despite GPS glitches.
Old 02-12-19, 05:15 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6173 Post(s)
Liked 4,790 Times in 3,305 Posts
GPS Satellites are not geostationary or geosynchronous. Throughout a 24 hour period, some drop lower on the horizon or even go entirely below the horizon affecting the numbers of satellites pool your device has to choose where to get position data from. As well, throughout the year the number visible to your location may vary significantly. I've always heard the further north you are the less gps satellites you will have available to you particularly during the winter. I suppose since this was told to me, perhaps they may have closed some coverage gaps.

You can always go to satellite tracking websites and filter out for just GPS, GLONASS or what ever you desire and see what should be in the sky over you for any particular time, date and position. This is one I used recently..... https://in-the-sky.org/satmap_radar.php
Be sure to select your satellite types and check your location.

But yes, precip of any sort, foliage--especially wet foliage, shadowing by terrain and buildings, even your body and rf interference can affect your signal.
Old 02-12-19, 05:23 PM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by noglider
The last few days, I've had a weak GPS signal, as ridewithgps reports. Using google maps for navigation, the app falls behind in knowing where I am and which direction I'm moving in. Last night was bad, and I couldn't see how dense the cloud cover was. We are having snowfall this morning, so maybe the clouds were dense last night. The path the ridewithgps says I've taken is much more zig-zaggy than reality.

Is the problem likely to be attributable to clouds? Do other things cause this? Is it possible that the GPS receiver in my iPhone might be starting to fail?
lots of things can cause interference...BUT I used to use my phone as a dedicated computer and my GPS did go wonky. I have since been using a Elemnt Bolt in conjunction to adding a speed sensor and have never looked back. I never knew what I was missing until I got the Bolt. The post ride analysis rivals premium versions of Strava, MapMyRide, etc...and the integration is seamless.
Old 02-12-19, 05:49 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 47 Post(s)
Quoted: 3452 Post(s)
Liked 1,452 Times in 1,131 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
I've always heard the further north you are the less gps satellites you will have available to you ....
I have never heard that, and I had no difficulty in keeping a good GPS signal when I was bike touring in Iceland which was just a hair south of the Arctic Circle.

I am not sure but I think that you could loose WAAS if you are farther north, that could impair your accuracy and precision.

The Op mentioned iphone, which of course uses different apps than android devices, but on my android phones I found this app was very good at telling me which satellites are up there.
https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...tcross.gpstest

On my Garmin recreational grade GPS I usually put it in battery save mode, turn off WAAS and Glasnost to save battery, that impairs my precision somewhat and makes getting a GPS location slower on start up, but otherwise it is pretty good. But I use a recreational GPS that has a very good antennae, Garmin 64, see photo.