Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Trail Riding on Logging Roads

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Trail Riding on Logging Roads

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-14, 07:38 AM
BluesDawg
just keep riding

Bikes: 2018 Black Mountain Cycles MCD,2017 Advocate Cycles Seldom Seen Drop Bar, 2017 Niner Jet 9 Alloy, 2015 Zukas custom road, 2003 KHS Milano Tandem, 1986 Nishiki Cadence rigid MTB, 1980ish Fuji S-12S

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 173 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
Sorry for the hijack/tangent. Back to the OP, nice choice for a versatile bike. Ride it everywhere and have fun!

You'll find that many individuals choose many different types of bike for doing various things. I do a lot of group rides on gravel roads, Forest Service Roads and other areas similar to the logging roads you describe, and many people ride them on hard tail 29ers like yours. Other popular choices are cyclocross bikes, monstercross bikes, purpose-built gravel bikes, full-suspension MTBs, hybrid bikes, fat bikes, mid-fat bikes, old school road bikes and even the occasional modern road racing bike. There's more than one way to skin a cat.
Old 02-19-19, 11:09 PM
CameronF

Bikes: Trek DS2 and Emonda ALR5

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi, I found myself reading this post and the mention of Cannon Beach caught my eye, and even more so Rock Crusher. I spend half my life up in all of these roads either running and since July on my Trek DS2. Bottom end of the DS range, but it does a great job on these rock logging roads. Yes I could have got a lot better spec bike, but at $650 if I totally trash it on these roads its not a huge loss. I'm really happy with this bike and have a rear rack and fenders on it and carry a lot of stuff when I go on my crazy long tours on these roads, I've also get a radio ham license so i carry something that works where phones don't. Its so easy to spend six hours or more up there exploring and wildlife watching etc.
My DS2 does a great job up there and my climbing time on the strava segments is surprisingly competitive, not what I expected! I like the front forks with the suspension and the hardtail seems to find its way through the rocks just fine. Its pretty easy to get above 30mph on the descents... probably not the safest way to go but a LOT of fun!

I know this is an old post, but was interesting reading all the same.
Might bump into some of you on the trails some time. Happy riding everyone.

Cheers, Cameron.
Old 02-20-19, 11:59 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Replace

Originally Posted by SultanWa
I would like a new seat because the stock is very hard.
You will cut up the saddle cover when you crash ,or even the bike falls over , so 1st saddle is free, the others will cost you..

A suspension seat post may help ..

Old 02-20-19, 03:20 PM
gl98115

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by fietsbob
You will cut up the saddle cover when you crash ,or even the bike falls over , so 1st saddle is free, the others will cost you..
A suspension seat post may help ..
The last time the OP was on these forums was over 3 years ago.
Old 02-20-19, 03:50 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by CameronF
Hi, I found myself reading this post and the mention of Cannon Beach caught my eye, and even more so Rock Crusher. I spend half my life up in all of these roads either running and since July on my Trek DS2. Bottom end of the DS range, but it does a great job on these rock logging roads. Yes I could have got a lot better spec bike, but at $650 if I totally trash it on these roads its not a huge loss. I'm really happy with this bike and have a rear rack and fenders on it and carry a lot of stuff when I go on my crazy long tours on these roads, I've also get a radio ham license so i carry something that works where phones don't. Its so easy to spend six hours or more up there exploring and wildlife watching etc.
My DS2 does a great job up there and my climbing time on the strava segments is surprisingly competitive, not what I expected! I like the front forks with the suspension and the hardtail seems to find its way through the rocks just fine. Its pretty easy to get above 30mph on the descents... probably not the safest way to go but a LOT of fun!

I know this is an old post, but was interesting reading all the same.
Might bump into some of you on the trails some time. Happy riding everyone.

Cheers, Cameron.
Welcome to the Old and Not-So-Slow forum! Glad you posted here first. We have a few trail riders among us, some that need a bit of sense

Here is my trail and singletrack warrior, the 97 Trek 7000. Not trendy but very light (22# range).

Old 02-20-19, 06:43 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Originally Posted by VNA
I go up to Northwestern Oregon at least 4 times a year and always ride logging roads as they cultivate trees on a large scale--it is very safe, you can always ear the trucks coming and usually they are logging in a particular area--so you know where they are.

A good fully suspended MTB is what is needed, I have had over the years used no suspension, only front and now fully suspended and it is the best by far not only for relative comfort, but mainly for traction and control. I never tried a 29, not sure it adds anything?

Lots of wildlife as well as bears, dear, elks etc. and other animals have adapted--of sorts!
Northern Michigan is much the same. I ride the logging roads on a Trek DS. Logging seems to have made a comeback up in the U.P. Not many "main" roads, all two lanes though some have climbing passing lanes to avoid tourist backups I guess. Nothing like having a tandem log hauler pass you at 55-60 mph when your riding the shoulder.

Last edited by bobwysiwyg; 02-20-19 at 06:48 PM.
Old 02-21-19, 07:30 PM
OldsCOOL

Bikes: '77 Colnago Super, '76 Fuji The Finest, '88 Cannondale Criterium, '86 Trek 760, '87 Miyata 712

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 659 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by bobwysiwyg
Northern Michigan is much the same. I ride the logging roads on a Trek DS. Logging seems to have made a comeback up in the U.P. Not many "main" roads, all two lanes though some have climbing passing lanes to avoid tourist backups I guess. Nothing like having a tandem log hauler pass you at 55-60 mph when your riding the shoulder.
Copper Harbor trail system is a fantastic place to ride in the UP. The pic of my blue Trek was taken there. Well worth the extra drive.
Old 02-23-19, 11:21 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
So?

Originally Posted by gl98115
The last time the OP was on these forums was over 3 years ago.
Maybe his arse has toughened up by now..
Old 02-26-19, 11:27 PM
CameronF

Bikes: Trek DS2 and Emonda ALR5

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice bike, thanks for the reply. I wasn't sure if anyone got to see my post because it was a reply to a very old posing.
I think people get hung up on fixing things with technology, when you can have as much fun with older and possibly "lesser" advances.
The same thing I see in the ultra running world, people seem to want to fix their shortcomings with some new fancy shoe or a lighter water bottle or some other latest trend
Old 03-04-19, 12:21 PM
SultanWa

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am the OP and I now have five bikes! Cycling has changed my life for the good! Next moth I will turn 58 and the only regret I have is that I didn't start riding sooner!!
Old 03-27-19, 08:45 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by SultanWa
I am the OP and I now have five bikes! Cycling has changed my life for the good! Next moth I will turn 58 and the only regret I have is that I didn't start riding sooner!!
Classic success story, "Cycling has changed my life, for the good ..... only regret is I didn't start sooner."