Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Thread for Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-17, 11:39 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Bikes: Sirrus Expert Carbon

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by JacobLP
Thoughts on the Specialized Sirrius Disc 2017? Reckon I could handle some off road trails?
I think the bike will handle some off-road stuff but the pertinent question is probably will you be able to handle said trails on this bike? And I intend no disrespect in your direction.

My 2016 Carbon, admittedly with more road than trail oriented tyres, is still pretty unforgiving, even if I changed the tyres I'd be cautious of anything other than pretty smooth trails or quite light gravel. Not because of the bike, it won't break, but I reckon any rough stuff might give my aging (44) body a hard time. I'd be actively avoiding big rocks and tree roots for sure.

How rough are the trails you speak of?

Edit: that 2017 disc is nice bike at a great price point!

Last edited by djmcnz; 03-17-17 at 11:43 PM.
Old 03-18-17, 02:41 AM
JacobLP
Specialized

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Disc 2017

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by djmcnz
I think the bike will handle some off-road stuff but the pertinent question is probably will you be able to handle said trails on this bike? And I intend no disrespect in your direction.

My 2016 Carbon, admittedly with more road than trail oriented tyres, is still pretty unforgiving, even if I changed the tyres I'd be cautious of anything other than pretty smooth trails or quite light gravel. Not because of the bike, it won't break, but I reckon any rough stuff might give my aging (44) body a hard time. I'd be actively avoiding big rocks and tree roots for sure.

How rough are the trails you speak of?

Edit: that 2017 disc is nice bike at a great price point!
Hi,

Only trails I'm willing to take it on is some slightly muddy ones (not huge bogged down areas just some slightly muddy paths). Also thinking about taking my bike up to a trail up in a pine woods, I believe las time I walked around there it was just some minor tree roots raised some areas and the paths themselves are relatively flat. Only thing on the paths is pine needles and some pine cones. And yes really liking the bike so far, very fast with 700x32 tyres and the frame itself is light. It can handle all of the obstacles I've presented with it so far and I'm happy with it.
Old 03-18-17, 03:32 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
And yes really liking the bike so far, very fast with 700x32 tyres and the frame itself is light. It can handle all of the obstacles I've presented with it so far and I'm happy with it.
Nice.
Old 03-19-17, 02:07 PM
JacobLP
Specialized

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus Disc 2017

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Took a slightly muddy and gravel path today on a canal. Very bumpy but great ride.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_0074.jpg (98.2 KB, 711 views)
Likes For JacobLP:
Old 03-20-17, 05:43 AM
AVLThumper

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thoughts on the Specialized Sirrus Disc 2017? Reckon I could handle some off road trails?
You can ride any bike on trails, but the Sirrus certainly wouldn't be a good choice. You would be better off with a dual sport type hybrid or a cx/gravel bike if you want to ride trails. Something that can handle 35-40cc tires at lower pressures would be best. If you think you may be riding trails more than pavement, you might even consider a standard MTB hardtail. You could always put some slicks on if you wanted to ride more road.
Old 04-04-17, 12:30 PM
Boondocksaints

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm drooling over the Specialized Comp disc 2017.
Old 04-08-17, 10:45 AM
carys4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hello everyone -

I'm super new to cycling. After testing out several bikes (Specialized Roll, Roll Elite, Roll Sport, Sirrus, Sirrus Comp, Sirrus Sport, Sport Carbon) I finally decided on the Sirrus Sport Carbon 2017. It was either that one or the aluminum frame Sirrus Elite Disc - but there was something about the carbon that just felt like I had suspension when I was going on rougher surfaces. I'm excited about my purchase and got all the other essentials (i think)

- Helmet
- Hand pump (Bodyguard Mini Bike Pump)
- Portable tool (Park Tool MTB-3 Rescue Tool - 22 function)
- Water bottle and little plastic carrier (bike shop tried to sell me a "matching carbon" bottle holder for $50 )
- Spare tubes
- Rubber patches
- Tiny bottle o' lube
- Bike shorts (oh man do I need these after some long rides without them )

I tried posting pictures but I need to post 10x so here's my first one
Old 04-08-17, 07:01 PM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carys4
Hello everyone -
Welcome and nice bike! I think you can perhaps attach files if you're new (rather than post links) but I could be wrong, can't remember.

Your accessory list looks good, perhaps add a spare chain link and some lights?

Old 04-09-17, 12:12 AM
carys4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welcome and nice bike! I think you can perhaps attach files if you're new (rather than post links) but I could be wrong, can't remember.

Your accessory list looks good, perhaps add a spare chain link and some lights?

Ah good call! Any recommendations for good lights? Thanks!!
Old 04-12-17, 02:37 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by carys4
Ah good call! Any recommendations for good lights? Thanks!!
I think lights (well accessories in general) are very subjective but I got a CatEye Volt 800 front light which I love and a Knog Blinder Road R70 rear light which I'm just about as happy with.

I've mounted the Volt to the front fork (a bit retro looking but I prefer cleaner bars) using a CatEye front fork mount (that I'm about to paint black to match the light and fender) and normally use it on the 200 lumen + strobe setting.

Because of the angle of the seat post the rear light isn't perfect, a saddle mounted light might be better but I would need to find one that would fit between the saddle and my saddle bag. However it's still bright enough that it can be seen a long way away.

I got both for 40-50% off retail so look out for sales! I'm not sure I would have paid full price for either (although the Volt is pretty awesome). Both are USB chargeable which I consider important. The Volt has a swappable cartridge battery, good if you're into long rides in low light. Both have a nice strong aluminium housing. The Knog is a little difficult to turn on because of the location of the button relative to my saddle bag.
Old 04-12-17, 11:48 PM
carys4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
djmcnz - Thank you for the input! I am checking out the CatEye now
Old 04-14-17, 12:29 PM
Cosmicyclist

Bikes: Giant Cypress LX (2007)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AVLThumper
You can ride any bike on trails, but the Sirrus certainly wouldn't be a good choice. You would be better off with a dual sport type hybrid or a cx/gravel bike if you want to ride trails. Something that can handle 35-40cc tires at lower pressures would be best.
Could you give some more concrete examples? Maybe even a different Specialized? I'm curious. Thank you.
Old 04-14-17, 12:39 PM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cosmicyclist
Could you give some more concrete examples? Maybe even a different Specialized? I'm curious. Thank you.
Specialized Crosstrail would be the one to check out from Specialized. Trek and other manufacturers all have their own version. Nice bikes, you get a suspension fork and the ability to use wider tires. Check out mountain bike hard tails as well. Slightly different geometry, but much better components for trail riding.
Old 04-14-17, 01:13 PM
Cosmicyclist

Bikes: Giant Cypress LX (2007)

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized Crosstrail would be the one to check out from Specialized. Trek and other manufacturers all have their own version. Nice bikes, you get a suspension fork and the ability to use wider tires. Check out mountain bike hard tails as well. Slightly different geometry, but much better components for trail riding.
Thanks. I guess the drawback would be increased weight compared to a "road" hybrid like the Sirrus?
Old 04-14-17, 01:17 PM
AVLThumper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Cosmicyclist
Thanks. I guess the drawback would be increased weight compared to a "road" hybrid like the Sirrus?
Yes weight will increase, but if you're not trying to win races, it won't matter much. If you can't buy multiple bikes, then pick the one that will suit 90% of your riding.
Old 04-18-17, 07:34 PM
skids929

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes weight will increase, but if you're not trying to win races, it won't matter much. If you can't buy multiple bikes, then pick the one that will suit 90% of your riding.

This seems like good advice to me..I am in the same dilemma right now. Crosstrail is probably the better choice for my riding but I rode a Sirrus and thought more of it. Mainly for the carbon frame, it just takes off without a lot of effort, which I liked. But I couldn't imagine jumping a curb or something with that tire on there.

For me it will come down to what tire will fit on the Carbon Pro or Carbon Expert Sirrus models. If I can get a 35 or 38 on there I'd consider setting it up like that and calling it a day. I own a 23 year old M2000 Cannondale, which could fill the offroad gap if needed, but was really looking to retire it.

Sirrus is an enticing bike for sure, but the identity crisis is real.
Old 04-18-17, 11:46 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by skids929
This seems like good advice to me..I am in the same dilemma right now. Crosstrail is probably the better choice for my riding but I rode a Sirrus and thought more of it. Mainly for the carbon frame, it just takes off without a lot of effort, which I liked. But I couldn't imagine jumping a curb or something with that tire on there.

For me it will come down to what tire will fit on the Carbon Pro or Carbon Expert Sirrus models. If I can get a 35 or 38 on there I'd consider setting it up like that and calling it a day. I own a 23 year old M2000 Cannondale, which could fill the offroad gap if needed, but was really looking to retire it.

Have you tried out a Giant Toughroad?
Old 04-19-17, 05:09 AM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ColonelSanders
Have you tried out a Giant Toughroad?

I haven't, but thanks for the tip...to be honest I am not even sure where they sell Giant around here anymore, not as popular as they once were. I checked it out online and that bike looks similar to a cross trail without the shock. Not bad looking bike either, but they don't make it in Carbon unfortunately and I may have spoiled myself riding on carbon yesterday.
Old 04-20-17, 01:01 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I have a carbon Sirrus and 35's will fit (without fenders), 38's will be a tight squeeze but should fit if they're not too bulky.

It's a great bike but certainly less multi-purpose than some "hybrids". The Sirrus certainly sits more at the "fitness" end of the (imaginary) hybrid continuum than the "adventure" end. If that's what you're looking for in a hybrid then the Sirrus won't let you down IMHO.
Old 04-20-17, 03:49 AM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have a carbon Sirrus and 35's will fit (without fenders), 38's will be a tight squeeze but should fit if they're not too bulky.

It's a great bike but certainly less multi-purpose than some "hybrids". The Sirrus certainly sits more at the "fitness" end of the (imaginary) hybrid continuum than the "adventure" end. If that's what you're looking for in a hybrid then the Sirrus won't let you down IMHO.
Thanks for the validation on the tire size. What she do you have on yours? Have you taken yours to gravel or light offroad situations? I don't imagine I'd use it for that but the option of it being there would be nice and I think the tire is what would install confidence to take it on a hardpack trail or two from time to time when needed for a cut through to get home quicker or ride near a beach with the family. I'd be less intentional about taking this bike out specifically for that kind of ride, but still would prefer that adventure option be available when I want to have it.

The bike I test rode (both the Sirrus and the FX5/6) I wouldn't take anywhere near gravel or trail with the tires they come with. But thinking I could swap out at point of sale if I've identified a tire that can replace it for what I want the bike to do in terms of versatility.
Old 04-20-17, 05:18 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Thanks for the validation on the tire size. What she do you have on yours? Have you taken yours to gravel or light offroad situations? I don't imagine I'd use it for that but the option of it being there would be nice and I think the tire is what would install confidence to take it on a hardpack trail or two from time to time when needed for a cut through to get home quicker or ride near a beach with the family. I'd be less intentional about taking this bike out specifically for that kind of ride, but still would prefer that adventure option be available when I want to have it.

The bike I test rode (both the Sirrus and the FX5/6) I wouldn't take anywhere near gravel or trail with the tires they come with. But thinking I could swap out at point of sale if I've identified a tire that can replace it for what I want the bike to do in terms of versatility.
I'm not sure I'm a good gauge for you because I currently have a 30/32 setup that I inherited!! It's perfectly fine for the pavement and the hardpack but a bit unsteady on loose limestone chip and gravel. I'm pretty sure that some 35's would go long way to curing that. The carbon frame and geometry are excellent for multi-purpose use and that's what creates your platform.

I think essentially as long as you're not looking to get lots of air-time then the Sirrus is a fantastic platform. For mostly roads and paths I can't fault mine.

Old 04-20-17, 05:30 AM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not sure I'm a good gauge for you because I currently have a 30/32 setup that I inherited!! It's perfectly fine for the pavement and the hardpack but a bit unsteady on loose limestone chip and gravel. I'm pretty sure that some 35's would go long way to curing that. The carbon frame and geometry are excellent for multi-purpose use and that's what creates your platform.

I think essentially as long as you're not looking to get lots of air-time then the Sirrus is a fantastic platform. For mostly roads and paths I can't fault mine.

Agreed and thanks..I am just discovering the "gravel bike" category and in looking closely at them (online for now) they seem to be the same platform as the Sirrus. e.g. the Diverge from Specialized. Just seems the major difference is the flatbar on the Sirrus, but I need to get in front of these bikes and see what kind of tire clearance differences there are. Specialized seems to market that as more of an off/on road bike but am struggling to see the major differences between the two. If I can set the Sirrus up like one of those with a wider tire then I may pull the trigger this weekend.
Old 04-20-17, 06:44 AM
djmcnz
Noob Rider

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
That Diverge looks interesting, I've not seen it before and it's an intriguing mix of drop bar and "adventure-ready"... I'm not sure I get it really.
Old 04-20-17, 10:33 AM
skids929

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
That Diverge looks interesting, I've not seen it before and it's an intriguing mix of drop bar and "adventure-ready"... I'm not sure I get it really.
Yeah I don't either..I would think the Sirrus would be more of a gravel bike with the flatbar, but what do I know. I am going to eyeball them to see the clearance differences for the larger tires.The one major difference I can as opposed to a road bike is the wheel base seems to be shorter. Not sure what that does I am guessing makes it more agile.
Old 04-20-17, 04:30 PM
paulsgs

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
2009 Sirrus I'm considering

I'm looking at a 2009 and was wondering if I'm getting into old technology just to save a few hundred? Its offered at $225, seems in Good shape and going to look at it this Saturday. I'm getting back into cycling as I start to retire, I'm 63 5'11 and 190. Mostly used for a getting around the community or into town a few miles. I like the idea of 700 wheels, and at some point would like to add a rack and fenders ( I like the look)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.