Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Mysterious chain stay things? - 2016 Novara Safari

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-17, 12:44 PM
brady.gross

Bikes: 2016 Novara Safari and 1988 Schwinn Premise

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Does anyone recognize what these line/wire type things are and what they might be for? They are on my right chain stay only and are two parallel lines connected to the actual frame but look like they could be popped off if needed for some use?

I double checked and they are not connected to any brake or gear shifting lines.

I've included some photos and markups to point out exactly what I'm referring to.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
edit1.jpg (22.8 KB, 473 views)
edit_6.jpg (25.0 KB, 458 views)
edit_5.jpg (22.7 KB, 451 views)
edit_4.jpg (23.1 KB, 450 views)
edit_3.jpg (23.1 KB, 450 views)
Old 02-01-17, 12:47 PM
nickw

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 171 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by brady.gross
Does anyone recognize what these line/wire type things are and what they might be for? They are on my right chain stay only and are two parallel lines connected to the actual frame but look like they could be popped off if needed for some use?

I double checked and they are not connected to any brake or gear shifting lines.

I've included some photos and markups to point out exactly what I'm referring to.
I can't really see the pics clearly since they are so small...I imagine they are probably spoke holders.

Edit: on second look, that is what they are. They are typically on the non-drive side, but looks like Novara did this due to the hydro line on the non-drive chainstay.
Old 02-01-17, 12:53 PM
brady.gross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sorry, I thought those photos would upload bigger. I'll try again.

I guess I'm too much of a newbie to just post direct image links in posts still. Gotta get to 10 posts first! : /
Old 02-01-17, 12:57 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

Mentioned: 140 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5791 Post(s)
Liked 2,581 Times in 1,431 Posts
They're chainstay protectors, intended to keep the bouncing chain from beating the paint off the chainstay.

Touring bikes position the supports the right distance apart to work with the right length spoke, so your spares do this job until you need them for your wheel.

An ounce of diagnosis is worth a pound of cure.

Just because I'm tired of arguing, doesn't mean you're right.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

WARNING, I'm from New York. Thin skinned people should maintain safe distance.
Old 02-01-17, 01:02 PM
brady.gross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Alright i give up on the bigger images. It hates me!

But thanks, you two answered my questions anyway with the small photos regardless!

I had never seen or heard of chainstay protectors before! Thanks so much @FBinNY and @nickw!!!
Old 02-01-17, 01:11 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10964 Post(s)
Liked 7,491 Times in 4,189 Posts
It looks like 2 spokes are in there right now.
Old 02-01-17, 01:22 PM
FBinNY 

Bikes: too many bikes from 1967 10s (5x2)Frejus to a Sumitomo Ti/Chorus aluminum 10s (10x2), plus one non-susp mtn bike I use as my commuter

For those who care but can't see it in the photos, here's a clear photo showing the concept on another bike.

“One accurate measurement is worth a thousand expert opinions” - Adm Grace Murray Hopper - USN

Old 02-01-17, 01:30 PM
brady.gross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes thank you @FBinNY

Finally figured out photos:

edit_6 by Brady Gross, on Flickr
Old 02-01-17, 01:31 PM
brady.gross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edit_5 by Brady Gross, on Flickr
Old 02-01-17, 01:31 PM
brady.gross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
edit_4 by Brady Gross, on Flickr

edit_3 by Brady Gross, on Flickr
Old 02-01-17, 02:36 PM
bigbenaugust 
always rides with luggage

Bikes: 2007 Trek SU100, 2009 Fantom CX, 2012 Fantom Cross Uno, Bakfiets

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 17 Posts
Spare spokes for the tour you mayor may not take.

My '03 Randonee also had them on the drive side as I recall.
Previously: 2000 Trek 4500 (2000-2003), 2003 Novara Randonee (2003-2006), 2003 Giant Rainier (2003-2008), 2005 Xootr Swift (2005-2007), 2007 Nashbar 1x9 (2007-2011), 2011 Windsor Shetland (2011-2014), 2008 Citizen Folder (2015)
Non-Bike hardware: MX Linux / BunsenLabs Linux / Raspbian / Mac OS 10.6 / Android 7

Last edited by bigbenaugust; 02-01-17 at 02:45 PM.
Old 02-01-17, 03:24 PM
Tourist in MSN

Bikes: 1961 Ideor, 1966 Perfekt 3 Speed AB Hub, 1994 Bridgestone MB-6, 2006 Airnimal Joey, 2009 Thorn Sherpa, 2013 Thorn Nomad MkII, 2015 VO Pass Hunter, 2017 Lynskey Backroad, 2017 Raleigh Gran Prix, 1980s Bianchi Mixte on a trainer. Others are now gone.

Mentioned: 48 Post(s)
Quoted: 3461 Post(s)
Liked 1,467 Times in 1,144 Posts
If you are lucky, you will never need the spare spoke(s). But, they are there if you need them.

When I had a LHT, I recall suggesting to Surly that they put the spoke holder on the right side like REI did. Then you could use a greenfield kickstand that clamps on in back. (This was several years before they came out with an anti-kickstand policy.) And that way the spokes would be your chainstay protector for chain slap. They gave me a response that told me that they clearly did not even finish reading my suggestion before they said something stupid.
Old 02-01-17, 03:29 PM
tspoon

Bikes: 1990 Paul Dye Hand Built 7 Speed, 1965 Raleigh Sport, Folding 26" Tourer

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 15 Posts
Agree. Some people like to get pretty technical about wheels and spokes, but the only proven method of preventing broken spokes is to carry spares, similar to the way you can stop rain by putting on your raincoat.
Old 02-02-17, 11:01 AM
brady.gross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Tourist in MSN
If you are lucky, you will never need the spare spoke(s). But, they are there if you need them.

When I had a LHT, I recall suggesting to Surly that they put the spoke holder on the right side like REI did. Then you could use a greenfield kickstand that clamps on in back. (This was several years before they came out with an anti-kickstand policy.) And that way the spokes would be your chainstay protector for chain slap. They gave me a response that told me that they clearly did not even finish reading my suggestion before they said something stupid.
I would have never guessed spare spokes, but now taking a closer look (again).. that is definitely what they are. Spare spokes. Who would have thought.

Also great to double up like you mentioned as a chainstay protector.. which I also didn't particularly realize was a thing either.

Now I'll have to look up and learn the procedure to actually use those sparesif something crazy does go down.
Old 02-02-17, 11:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18420 Post(s)
Liked 15,564 Times in 7,333 Posts
(This was several years before they came out with an anti-kickstand policy.)

Crickey!

Kickstands On Long Haul Truckers | Spews | The Information Hole | Surly Bikes
Old 02-02-17, 12:48 PM
brady.gross

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looks like the rebranding of the Novara line on REI.com also more clearly shows those extra spokes...

2017-02-02_0942 by Brady Gross, on Flickr
Old 02-02-17, 02:10 PM
edthesped

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts

You mean an answer like this?
we talked to them about important stuff. This was done for two reasons: 1. to make them feel like the hard-travelin' was worth it and, 2. to trick them into thinking we’re cool guys that have our **** together.
(Taken straight from the Surly Blog, Foreign Relations: Vol. 1 | Blog | Surly Bikes) The more I look at Surly the more I get what my daughter says about them. OTOH, I'm glad to see that REI hasn't really changed the Randonee as I think it's every bit as good as or better, gasp, than the much venerated LHT.
Old 02-02-17, 02:59 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by edthesped
The more I look at Surly the more I get what my daughter says about them.
which is...
Old 02-02-17, 03:12 PM
FBinNY 

Originally Posted by mstateglfr
which is...
You shouldn't ask.

This is one of those things where the reader gets to apply his own opinion and assume the unsaid is supportive of that.

Love em or not, his daughter agrees.

Old 02-02-17, 03:49 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
They do make good chainstay protectors, as well as those thingies that go between the hub and the rim.
Old 02-02-17, 04:34 PM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by FBinNY
You shouldn't ask.

This is one of those things where the reader gets to apply his own opinion and assume the unsaid is supportive of that.

Love em or not, his daughter agrees.
I'll say it, Hipster. And no, she doesn't agree she planted the seed in my head and I agree, but I guess I was a little unclear there as well. I said it in another thread and didn't repeat it here, maybe a little of what you said or typing between meetings without fully proofing my post. Either way I started looking at their site after reading a comment about hipsters, typewriters and Surly in another thread and will say that yeah, my 20 y/o called it, hipster and I agree with her.

Furthermore, if memory serves me correct mstateglfr is likely somewhat aware of what I was talking about as he replied to me directly in the thread I referenced above... https://www.bikeforums.net/19314230-post54.html

In any event I'm happy the Randonee lives on as it really is a great bargain for a full on touring bike.
Old 02-02-17, 05:30 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by edthesped
Furthermore, if memory serves me correct mstateglfr is likely somewhat aware of what I was talking about as he replied to me directly in the thread I referenced above... https://www.bikeforums.net/19314230-post54.html

In any event I'm happy the Randonee lives on as it really is a great bargain for a full on touring bike.
Im like a goldfish. My memory starts over every 30 seconds.

Didnt at all put 2 and 2 together.

As for the Randonee, it for sure is an awesome deal. When i built up my current touring bike, if I hadn't gone the route i went, i would have tried to snag a Randonee during a discount/end of year sale for even more savings.
Old 02-03-17, 06:22 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
Im like a goldfish. My memory starts over every 30 seconds.

Didnt at all put 2 and 2 together.

As for the Randonee, it for sure is an awesome deal. When i built up my current touring bike, if I hadn't gone the route i went, i would have tried to snag a Randonee during a discount/end of year sale for even more savings.
No worries, my memory is probably worse and I should give it a break anyway. I know I had to fight the urge to purchase another Randonee when REI was clearing them out for $600'ish last year, but why would I need two of the same bike. OTOH, I may be a bit of a hypocrite as my primary ride is a Salsa. I do have to say that as an old guy the whole marketing image Surly and now Spec with their adventure line is trying to convey is a big turn off for me. I keep waiting to see the most interesting man in the world show up on one of their blogs but I'm told hipsters drink Pabst Blue Ribbon and craft beer.

Last edited by edthesped; 02-03-17 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-03-17, 09:01 AM
Squeezebox
Banned.

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 760 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm okay with adventure bicycles. Kind of a Cinderella spot. Compared to a road bicycle, more relaxed geometry, wider tires, lower gearing, for pavement and hard trails. But not too much as would going to touring bicycle specs would be going too far. And also the weight of the bicycle issue, inc wheels.
They fit a niche.

Last edited by Squeezebox; 02-03-17 at 09:12 AM.
Old 02-03-17, 10:29 AM
edthesped

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Squeezebox
I'm okay with adventure bicycles. Kind of a Cinderella spot. Compared to a road bicycle, more relaxed geometry, wider tires, lower gearing, for pavement and hard trails. But not too much as would going to touring bicycle specs would be going too far. And also the weight of the bicycle issue, inc wheels.
They fit a niche.
For me the "Adventure Bike" is the perfect setup, it's the whole marketing schtick that is irksome to me, i.e. surly's blog, the we are going awol tumblr etc... On the other hand backpacking with the boy has put my gear in the somewhat ultralight category so I don't feel the need or desire to carry full on touring loads. However, next ride will have a means to make good coffee as I find good coffee to be critical to my psychological well being.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.