Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Giant Escape 1 Disc

Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Giant Escape 1 Disc

Old 06-04-17, 03:25 PM
Whib

Bikes: Giant Fathom 1, Giant Escape Disc 1, Co-op ADV 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Giant Escape 1 Disc

I just ordered a 2018 Giant Escape 1 Disc from local bike shop; the owner tells me it should be here mid June. I was considering several different bikes, but my experience at this local shop is what solidified the deal for me over other brands.
Now I'm curious: Does anyone have any experience with the Escape that you'd care to share?
Old 06-04-17, 05:10 PM
coney462

Bikes: 2015 Giant Escape 2,

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Whib
I just ordered a 2018 Giant Escape 1 Disc from local bike shop; the owner tells me it should be here mid June. I was considering several different bikes, but my experience at this local shop is what solidified the deal for me over other brands.
Now I'm curious: Does anyone have any experience with the Escape that you'd care to share?
My experience with the escape 2 is all good. excellent bike
Old 06-04-17, 05:10 PM
FM1178

Bikes: Specialized Roll & Trek Fuel Ex 8

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts

Wasn't aware the 2018 Escapes were available to order. Congrats to you my friend. My first bike was a Giant Escape 2 a few years back. GreAt bike. You will need to post pictures when you take delivery.
Old 06-04-17, 06:14 PM
Whib

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178
Wasn't aware the 2018 Escapes were available to order. Congrats to you my friend. My first bike was a Giant Escape 2 a few years back. GreAt bike. You will need to post pictures when you take delivery.
I was planning to buy the 2017, but my LBS was out of stock for my size. When the owner called the Giant warehouse, they informed him that 2018 models would be available mid June. Thus, I ordered one. Will definitely post pics when I get it.
Old 06-05-17, 05:23 AM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FM1178
+1 same experience. Giant Escapes are a near perfect first bike for street, road and bike trails. Mine got taken out in a car vs. bike accident or it would still be going strong..
Old 06-05-17, 06:50 PM
jskash

Bikes: 2021 Specialized Sirrus 6 and 2018 Giant Escape Disc

Quoted: 86 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 26 Posts
I ride a 2016 Escape 1. It has been the perfect bike for me. I started on a Giant Cypress, but found that I wanted something a bit more aggressive. The Escape was exactly what I wanted.

The bike has performed very well. In terms of wear and tear, I wore out the rear tire in about 3,000 miles and replaced both tires with Specialized Crossroads Armadillos. The tires are a bit wider and heavier, but they last a lot longer and have good flat protection.

The other upgrades I have made was to the pedals and grips. I put on Shimano MX80 flat pedals and Ergon grips. I also had to replace the saddle after about a year. It was cracking. I replaced it with WTB Speed Progel. It was what the LBS had. It has been a good replacement.

The last thing I would say is when you have to replace the chain, put on a good one. I put on the Shimano XT/Ultega CN-GH 93 chain and it has lasted for over 7,000 miles so far.
Old 06-06-17, 03:01 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by zaxmalloy
+1 same experience. Giant Escapes are a near perfect first bike for street, road and bike trails. Mine got taken out in a car vs. bike accident or it would still be going strong..
They are at that. I don't own one, I own the two Giant designs either side of it and both of those are great. I love hybrids, they really do it all.
Old 06-06-17, 03:56 AM
Whib

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for the replies and tips everyone. JSK, the LBS owner recommended upgrading the pedals right away, so I plan to do that, add some lights, and maybe put a rack on the back.
Any other recommended "must haves" before leaving the shop?
Old 06-06-17, 05:17 AM
zaxmalloy

Bikes: Specialized Fatboy (I call her Big Orange), FELT Carbon F FRD Custom Road Bike, Salsa Vaya, Giant Escape

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks for the replies and tips everyone. JSK, the LBS owner recommended upgrading the pedals right away, so I plan to do that, add some lights, and maybe put a rack on the back.
The rack is a great idea and consider one with a fitted case - like Top Peak. Lights are a must have. Of course, a water bottle holder - plastic Arundel's are inexpensive and light.

Are pedals are something that would add value right away? I rode the stock platforms for a year then went to clips once I as comfortable riding and wanted more speed. A better investment might be bar ends which allow you to change hand position and, of course, a solid lock.
Old 06-06-17, 07:19 AM
jskash

I ride early in the morning, so lights are a must. I have Cygolites in the front and back. The lights are rechargeable and have worked flawlessly.
Old 06-07-17, 02:33 AM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
No, but I'll give you a recommendation "before" leaving the shop, and that is don't buy too much before you look online. For $15 you can get an amazingly bright LiPo headlight and battery off ebay, you can save a fortune on pedals, on computers, on almost any bike component you can to think of.

bikeexchange.com is worth looking for specials on bikes in your local area and any number of online outlets like Chain Reaction Cycles are good for parts. I buy a lot through ebay, lots of stuff in fact.
Old 06-08-17, 06:11 PM
Whib

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
While I wait for my Escape to arrive, I've been riding my wife's Giant Cypress around town (163 miles in the last two weeks ). I'm a former runner who grew tired of soreness after suffering a knee injury. It was only two weeks ago that I filled up my wife's tires and took off. Been hooked since.
This leads me to a question: I realized today that a large part of my joy on the bike comes from hopping onto greenways, sidewalks, dirt paths, roads, etc. Will the Escape be good for this type of riding? Or is it more street-centric?
Old 06-08-17, 07:16 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
While I wait for my Escape to arrive, I've been riding my wife's Giant Cypress around town (163 miles in the last two weeks ). I'm a former runner who grew tired of soreness after suffering a knee injury. It was only two weeks ago that I filled up my wife's tires and took off. Been hooked since.
This leads me to a question: I realized today that a large part of my joy on the bike comes from hopping onto greenways, sidewalks, dirt paths, roads, etc. Will the Escape be good for this type of riding? Or is it more street-centric?
The Escape 1 is pretty similar to the Cypress, you should be able to ride your new Escape 1 anywhere you ride the Cypress. Not sure how your wife's Cypress us set up, but her bike probably has wider tires, so just be aware that you might not have the same grip on dirt with your Escape 1.
Old 06-08-17, 09:02 PM
zaxmalloy

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The Escape will be great for that type of riding.

I had an Escape that was recently clobbered in an accident, but before that it was flawless on limestone trails and streets. And all in our very tough Minnesota climate. Now that I have a road bike though, thinking of replacing it with the Giant Toughroad which will handle the trails better but may sacrifice some speed on pavement.
Old 06-09-17, 04:49 AM
axxman

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Kenevo SL exp2017 Specialized Expert carbon X1 2016 Specialized Trek 8.6 DS, Previously owned 2016 Specialized Stumpjumper comp carbo Trek 4500, 2019 Canyon Urban 5.0, Diamondback, Ross Apollo 5speed, Huffy? Research Dynamics(stolen)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 49 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I would recommend a bell, maybe a lock but I would hold off anything else until you put some miles on it. see if the seat and grips are ok, or maybe need to be changed out. see what aches after 2-3 hrs and then decide if it can be adjusted or changed.
Old 06-09-17, 06:22 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
With relatively thin 32mm tires, the Escape is certainly more optimized for paved surfaces. Your wife's Cypress probably has 38mm tires, which are far more forgiving off the pavement. More volume means you can run less air pressure and absorb more irregularities off road. You may be able to fit larger tires on the Escape, I don't know. I personally like to run as large of a tire as I can, and inflate it appropriately. I'm not a time trialist, and my average speed is not important to me. I bike for exercise and for the enjoyment of it, and set my bikes up accordingly. I have 42mm tires on my Trek 750, and currently have 35mm tires on my Trek Verve, though the Verve will get the same 42s that the 750 has next time I buy tires for it. I generally run 30 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear on both bikes.
Old 06-09-17, 03:02 PM
Whib

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
With relatively thin 32mm tires, the Escape is certainly more optimized for paved surfaces. Your wife's Cypress probably has 38mm tires, which are far more forgiving off the pavement. More volume means you can run less air pressure and absorb more irregularities off road. You may be able to fit larger tires on the Escape, I don't know. I personally like to run as large of a tire as I can, and inflate it appropriately. I'm not a time trialist, and my average speed is not important to me. I bike for exercise and for the enjoyment of it, and set my bikes up accordingly. I have 42mm tires on my Trek 750, and currently have 35mm tires on my Trek Verve, though the Verve will get the same 42s that the 750 has next time I buy tires for it. I generally run 30 psi in the front and 50 psi in the rear on both bikes.
Thanks for simplifying the tire explanation. It makes perfect sense, and seems obvious, but as a newbie, these are things I haven't yet had to consider. When I was a runner, I just laced up and hopped off the front porch. I have a steep learning curve ahead of me, but, like you, I intend to bike for fun and fitness: time and speed are interesting statistics to look at, but my real barometer will be sweat and smiles.
Old 06-09-17, 07:48 PM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
I do want to caveat my post (I don't think I made it clear) that it's my personal opinion only. I like as much tire volume as I can reasonably get, but I don't want my post to read like I'm saying that 32mm tires cannot be used offroad. Some professional off-road series (like some cyclocross I think) is actually limited to 32mm as the largest tire if I'm not mistaken (and many folks run narrower). You certainly CAN take a bike with narrower tires off-road, but you do have to air them up more than you would a larger tire because there's not as much volume, and you don't want to pinch-flat them on a root or other obstacle. The shorter your tire sidewall, the less it can compress before you actually hit the rim, and that's what brings the potential of a pinch-flat. So you have to keep them inflated more to prevent that, and the trade-off is ride quality.

Like everything else, there's no free lunch, and everyone has their personal preference and experience. I just didn't want my post to come off like "this is the only way" because it's certainly not -- it's just what I prefer.

Cheers!
Old 06-10-17, 10:15 PM
jskash

I can confirm that you can put larger width tires on the Escape. I have 700x38 tires on mine.
Old 06-12-17, 06:54 PM
bo31210

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Helmet if you don't have one. You only have one goard on your shoulders😜 Also have a tube, tire levers, and some type of inflation otherwise one day you will (not may) do the walk of shame🤣
Old 06-20-17, 05:07 AM
Stitch137

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was planning to buy the 2017, but my LBS was out of stock for my size. When the owner called the Giant warehouse, they informed him that 2018 models would be available mid June.
Whib, what colors were available for the 2018 Escape Disc? I see the 2017 comes in black with a few touches of lime on it.

Regarding the specs and prices, are there any differences between the 2017 and the 2018 you ordered?

I'm looking at buying an Escape Disc 2017, for mostly the same usage as yours (former amateur of running, looking to ride it on road but also on gravel and dirt trails. However, different colors/specs/price might put me in the market for a 2018 one.

Last edited by Stitch137; 06-21-17 at 03:32 AM.
Old 06-21-17, 07:28 PM
Whib

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Stitch137
Whib, what colors were available for the 2018 Escape Disc? I see the 2017 comes in black with a few touches of lime on it.

Regarding the specs and prices, are there any differences between the 2017 and the 2018 you ordered?

I'm looking at buying an Escape Disc 2017, for mostly the same usage as yours (former amateur of running, looking to ride it on road but also on gravel and dirt trails. However, different colors/specs/price might put me in the market for a 2018 one.
Looks like only 1 color available currently; also, looks like pretty much the same bike as the '17, specs wise, as far as I can tell. https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/bi...cape-disc-2018
Old 06-22-17, 01:29 AM
Stitch137

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks Whib, didn't realize the 2018 line was already online in the States - it's not online yet on the French website.
Did you receive your bike yet?
Old 08-07-17, 11:22 AM
dson78

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bo31210
Helmet if you don't have one. You only have one goard on your shoulders😜 Also have a tube, tire levers, and some type of inflation otherwise one day you will (not may) do the walk of shame🤣
Yep, totally agree, these were the first items i bought when i got my bike, also throw in a water bottle.
Old 08-07-17, 11:58 AM
practical

Bikes: Giant Escape 1

Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I got an Escape 1 and love it. Here are two things I would recommend that might make your experience better.
1. Get a mirror. If you plan on riding in the road or on the streets, then a mirror is a MUST. Myracle Mirror makes one that you can add to the end of your bar. It will make you a much more confident (and safer) rider.
2. Ask the dealer if he is willing to swap the stock tires for 28m tires. I think you'll notice a difference in performance on pavement.
Good luck.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.