Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Did you use the indoor trainer today?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Did you use the indoor trainer today?

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-18, 05:47 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 23 Posts
Yep. Did an hour on Zwift. London loop. Knees aching today. But, I am on a mission to lose weight....a lot of weight!

So, every night from now on to the summer when I can get out , it will be Zwift.
Old 02-28-18, 04:16 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Yes ... we were having quite a storm this evening, so I figured I'd ride the trainer and lift some weights.
Old 02-28-18, 06:04 AM
Bald Paul

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 819 Post(s)
Liked 1,655 Times in 782 Posts
My wife is recovering from some surgery, so I have to stay close by in case she needs me for something, so I've been doing Zwift rides. Hoping to get another one in this afternoon.
Old 03-01-18, 09:09 PM
zacster

Bikes: Kuota Kredo/Chorus, Trek 7000 commuter, Trek 8000 MTB and a few others

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 464 Times in 365 Posts
Originally Posted by Gerry221
Yep. Did an hour on Zwift. London loop. Knees aching today. But, I am on a mission to lose weight....a lot of weight!

So, every night from now on to the summer when I can get out , it will be Zwift.
While I have maintained my weight loss by riding indoors, I've found it hard to lose any more that way. Going outdoors on much longer rides is key. I've lost 30 pounds since September and still want to lose another 10-20. I had to buy new pants because none of my old ones fit me. and just hang All my belts are too loose too. A coworker said I look "small" because all my clothes are too big.

Don't wait until summer, as soon as it is warm enough just start riding outdoors again.

And that said, I did the Sufferfest's Angels, a climbing video that really can knock you out. A full hour of it and it averaged at my FTP, so really this should be as much as I can possibly push a bike in an hour. When it was done I was done too.
Old 03-01-18, 09:56 PM
TCR Rider

Bikes: Pinarello Dogma F8 Giant TCR Advanced 2 Jamis Coda

Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 115 Posts
If you really want to torch some calories try riding the Mega Pretzel on Watopia. Works out to over 65 miles and over 4500 feet of climbing. I know it's virtual riding but I can assure you the pain was real.
Old 03-02-18, 03:52 AM
Gerry221

Bikes: Giant TCR Advanced, Merida Racelight, Specialized Allez, Bianchi Doss 500 MTB

Originally Posted by zacster
While I have maintained my weight loss by riding indoors, I've found it hard to lose any more that way. Going outdoors on much longer rides is key. I've lost 30 pounds since September and still want to lose another 10-20. I had to buy new pants because none of my old ones fit me. and just hang All my belts are too loose too. A coworker said I look "small" because all my clothes are too big.

Don't wait until summer, as soon as it is warm enough just start riding outdoors again.

And that said, I did the Sufferfest's Angels, a climbing video that really can knock you out. A full hour of it and it averaged at my FTP, so really this should be as much as I can possibly push a bike in an hour. When it was done I was done too.
That's a good bit of weight loss, buddy. Keep it up!

Yeah, I would much rather be out on the roads. We have been hit badly by snow and high winds over the last few days. Cannot wait till this winter is by with. Nothing beats being outdoors on the bike!

I am on course to have lost 6 stone by June. That's is my aim. I am doing the Glasgow to Edinburgh run in September, so hoping to have lost upwards of 8 stone, by then.
Old 03-11-18, 06:41 PM
fastcarbon

Bikes: SL6 S Works Tarmac, 7 series Trek Madone, Saris Hammer Smart Trainer, Eddie Merckx, Ciocc, Trek 5900, DeRosa, Peugot, Diverge Gravel

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 32 Posts
I ride a Cyclepro Hammer smart trainer when it rains. Yesterday I rode the first stage of the 2017 Tour de France on Rouvy. I can ride most of the best European stages.
Old 03-12-18, 06:57 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
3 nor'easters in less than 2 weeks. Really getting antsy to get outside. But the rollers have kept me a little less fidgety.
Old 03-12-18, 07:55 AM
Longfellow02

Bikes: Diamondback Cross Campus (1993), Trek Domane 2.3 (2016), Cannondale Topstone 105 AL (2020)

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
We use a CycleOps 2 Fluid trainer (dumb trainer).

It's sitting in front of a TV, and we play YouTube CTX ride videos to train with.
There are several different videos, and we switch between the 55 minute, 60 minute, and 75 minute rides.
Keep the TV volume off, and blast some good tunes on the ipod....

Maybe next winter we'll get a smart trainer....

But it's getting old, and another foot of snow is due tomorrow......

Can't wait to get outside !!!!
Old 03-12-18, 08:42 AM
Gerry221

Have done 91 miles over the last few days, on Zwift. A few Event runs, which I enjoy.

Be on tonight. Got a 60 min ride at 18:05hrs!
Old 03-12-18, 10:15 AM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
I don't mind Zwift - it works quite well for me when the weather isn't good, and I can do an early morning workout before I go to work without having to ride junk miles around the neighborhood.

But I am itching to get outdoors to see how my legs will work for real after all of this effort climbing all sorts of virtual hills. Bikes are tuned up and ready to go - I just need a nice day. At the moment it looks like this coming weekend might be the OK. At the moment we have Sat at 50F, and Sun at 58F, but that's still 5 days out, and lots could change.
Old 03-12-18, 05:15 PM
zacster

I just got off from an hour+ group ride on Zwift. I was able to go outside yesterday for laps of Prospect Park for about an hour. The thing I'm finding with my new Assioma pedals is that indoor power feels harder than outdoor power. When I'm soft pedaling outdoors I'm at about 150 watts, but 150 watts indoors feels like an effort. When I get inside the park there is a flat where I can do about 250 watts without much thought, and was over 500 watts on the final lap where I sprinted. To do that on the trainer would be a killer ride. It is the same power, same meter, same metric. Why does it feel easier outside? Oh, my HR follows power the same both indoors and outdoors. So I am putting out the same effort according to that measure.
Old 03-13-18, 05:12 AM
jpescatore

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Disc, Jamis Renegade

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 364 Post(s)
Liked 304 Times in 217 Posts
I got in a real/outdoor ride on Saturday here in the Washington DC area but dropped my bike off at the bike shop for its last free tuneup during the first year I've had it - so will be Zwifting for a bit even if the weather was better this week.

Last night I did a Tabata style interval workout on Zwift, a custom workout I've loaded. Tabata is 20 seconds all out, 10 seconds recover - do it 8 times for a total of 4 minutes. Two sets of those with a rest section in between and warmup/cooldown after is 32 minutes that reportedly gives close to the same aerobic benefit as much longer rides.

Afterwards I pedaled around Zwift for a while but the custom workout ended on a course that was starting to head up the big radio tower mountain - I was too beat for that after the intervals!

The timing didn't work, but on Mondays there is also a group ride on Zwift (I think it is the Pack group ride) that does a fairly leisurely group ride and then does do the "epic" radio tower climb or the volcano, depending on what course is active on Zwift - they have a Discord audio channel you can join in on - helps distract from the grinding uphill!

Just looked it up - 3:15 Eastern Time - more info here.
Old 03-13-18, 06:04 AM
zacster

3:15 EDT? That's too bad. I'd join it if it were around 7.
Old 03-14-18, 02:59 AM
bigsky109

Bikes: Kestrel Talon w/carbon fiber 88mm wheelset, Trek 820MTB

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The weather around here has been bad this winter, all the snow and ice made me go inside to ride. I started out indoors at the local gym and ended up being hired as a certified indoor cycling instructor. My classes are gear for outdoor riders in mind since I ride outdoors a lot during the summer. I ride other instructor's classes and can get a really good workout since you can concentrate on items easier than the outdoor bike. Outdoors is where I like to be but weather puts me indoors at this time. Weight loss is why I started riding in the first place. Last year when I started riding I lost 50lbs in 3 months. My doctor couldn't believe the change. This year I had lost another 30 and I am not on any meds at all. The doctor stopped my prescription and is still amazed. Personal dedication and persistence counts. Just do the work and it does pay off!
Old 03-14-18, 07:05 AM
The Snowman

Bikes: 2017 Trek DS3

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 11 Times in 9 Posts
Another 22" of snow yesterday. It looks like the rollers will be my friend for another week or so.
Old 03-14-18, 08:21 AM
ChiefTJS

Bikes: Trek Multitrack, Norco XFR

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 43 Posts
Got a Kurt Kinetic at Goodwill several years ago and I have to admit it has been quite lonely. Dusted it off and made a new weightloss commitment and now I'm down 7lbs in the last month. I'm actually excited to jump on it each day and it puts me in the riding frame of mind. I try to hit 45min each day before work and an hour on days off.
Old 03-14-18, 10:56 AM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Spotty weather today. Set up the bike for Zwift last night, then when I got up at 5:30 to take the garbage/recycling to the curb, the sky looked clear overhead. So I went inside and dressed to ride outside. I had to drop some stuff off at the office before meeting my buddy for our training ride.

It's about a 15 minute ride to the office from my house at that time in the morning and in that 15 minutes it went from spitting to sprinkling to full on rain. Texted my buddy to say "I hope you haven't left yet." He hadn't.

Went to the office gym and rode the watt bike instead. And now sitting at my desk looking out at clearing skies.
Old 03-14-18, 12:52 PM
ericy
Señor Member

Bikes: Giant OCR2, Trek DS 8.3

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 416 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 32 Posts
Forecast for the weekend looks iffy again. Saturday is 49F high with AM rain/ice. Sunday might hit a high of 55F. So I either dig out cooler weather gear, or just continue to ride Zwift for another week.
Old 03-16-18, 04:41 PM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Zwifted a Fondo "Taper" ride this AM. Zwift Fondo ride on Sun.
Old 03-16-18, 04:52 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
Normally, I set up the bike in the garage, but wifi is spotty out there so I decided to set up in our downstairs front room. I did my best to insulate the sound (rug/yoga mat/beach towel under the trainer) but our hardwood floors just resonate sound all through the house. When I came upstairs to take a shower, my wife sleepily asks me "Did you hear that weird rumbling sound this morning? Was somebody trimming their trees at 6am?"

"Uh, no sweetheart. I didn't hear anything like that. Sure you didn't dream it?"

Old 03-16-18, 06:59 PM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by ddub
Zwifted a Fondo "Taper" ride this AM. Zwift Fondo ride on Sun.
Are you doing the Grand, Medio, or Baby Fondo? I've ridden the last 3 Medios but I think I'm taking a pass on this one. I did ride the Mega Pretzel when it was first released but truth be told I survive climbs more than crush them.
I am working on the Tron bike but I'll get there when I get there.
I just did a FTP test on Thursday and at this stage I'm happy to hold the line. I do it so I know what wattage to set when I do workouts in erg mode. Being 65 with a hip and knee replacement and an arthritic back I'm just happy to climb on the bike and let 'er rip.
Old 03-16-18, 08:01 PM
bobwysiwyg

Bikes: Mongoose Selous, Trek DS

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 941 Post(s)
Liked 319 Times in 189 Posts
Yes, still cold here, supposed to be a cold March. 😕 Tolerable weather provided the wind is minimal. I'm still on the trainer because we're in the middle of a major esthetic renovation at our house and I'm getting real cozy with paint brushes. 😕 Still try to snag some pedalling time when I can.
Old 03-17-18, 07:05 AM
ddub

Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TCR Rider
Are you doing the Grand, Medio, or Baby Fondo? I've ridden the last 3 Medios but I think I'm taking a pass on this one. I did ride the Mega Pretzel when it was first released but truth be told I survive climbs more than crush them.
I am working on the Tron bike but I'll get there when I get there.
I just did a FTP test on Thursday and at this stage I'm happy to hold the line. I do it so I know what wattage to set when I do workouts in erg mode. Being 65 with a hip and knee replacement and an arthritic back I'm just happy to climb on the bike and let 'er rip.
Last two, Medio, Bambino tomorrow. The climbs are tough. 64yo here.
Old 03-17-18, 09:13 AM
TCR Rider

Originally Posted by ddub
Last two, Medio, Bambino tomorrow. The climbs are tough. 64yo here.
Enjoy the grind. Have fun with the sisters

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.